Still Missing FL - Leila Cavett, 21, of GA (son Kamdyn, 2, found alive on street), Miramar, 27 Jul 2020 #4 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I haven't seen anything indicated Kam is with any biological family :(. I just saw a real cute video of him and his mom this morning on SM. I feel so bad for him. No matter what, it is clear his mom loved him and he was happy with her.
Sometimes I just sit back and think what a messed up world we live in, how easy it is for some people to kill others and then discard of them like trash, no remorse.
I live in Florida;
I believe the foster care system is a private company that operates in FL:
Perhaps they are making money by keeping this young child with strangers, compared to family... IMO

I live in Florida;
Perhaps they are making money by keeping this young child with strangers, compared to family... IMO

I hope not, I get they have to ensure he is in a stable home that can provide for him but my gosh... I would have lost if if I was his family. As of October 13th I know he was still there, moo. It may have changed
I think he has back in Alabama though,not FLorida.

I live in Florida;
I believe that Kamdyn's family is most likely not the best option for him right now. And I'm not saying they are bad people or anything, it could be about so many things, job, income, the house he would be living at, etc. We can't just assume the foster care system is keeping him just because they feel like it. We've seen many times in the past that many children are rushed back to their families and things go horribly wrong for the child. Also, Kamdyn's situation is even worse because they still don't have his mother declared dead so, it most likely makes the situation much worse and much more complicated. Either way, I hope this baby is okay and growing up safe.

I live in Florida;

It's not really possible to "make money" off the Foster Care system -- foster parents receive a small stipend each month to cover the cost of the child's food, clothing, shelter, diapers, transportation, etc. That money comes from local tax dollars, and the agency paying the foster parent receives reimbursement in the form of federal and state monies. That reimbursement doesn't exceed the cost of care, so the agency isn't making any sort of profit, and the stipend paid to the foster parent just about covers the costs of taking care of the child, so the foster parents aren't making a profit. Even with the state of FL contracting out the operation of their Foster Care program it isn't lucrative -- the state pays the contracted agency a fee which covers administrative costs and caseworker salaries, and that's about it. The foster parents don't have any say in whether a child remains in care, that's a judge's decision, and there are specific timelines and regulations that limit how long a child is placed.

I live in Florida;
I think they are funded by the state and the county where they operate. I know Broward pays millions of dollars a year to the programs, but the kids end up in a private residential home with foster parents. This is better than an orphanage.

I believe that Kamdyn's family is most likely not the best option for him right now. And I'm not saying they are bad people or anything, it could be about so many things, job, income, the house he would be living at, etc. We can't just assume the foster care system is keeping him just because they feel like it. We've seen many times in the past that many children are rushed back to their families and things go horribly wrong for the child. Also, Kamdyn's situation is even worse because they still don't have his mother declared dead so, it most likely makes the situation much worse and much more complicated. Either way, I hope this baby is okay and growing up safe.
I agree. He may be in a great home. It's pure speculation to say otherwise.

It's not really possible to "make money" off the Foster Care system -- foster parents receive a small stipend each month to cover the cost of the child's food, clothing, shelter, diapers, transportation, etc. That money comes from local tax dollars, and the agency paying the foster parent receives reimbursement in the form of federal and state monies. That reimbursement doesn't exceed the cost of care, so the agency isn't making any sort of profit, and the stipend paid to the foster parent just about covers the costs of taking care of the child, so the foster parents aren't making a profit. Even with the state of FL contracting out the operation of their Foster Care program it isn't lucrative -- the state pays the contracted agency a fee which covers administrative costs and caseworker salaries, and that's about it. The foster parents don't have any say in whether a child remains in care, that's a judge's decision, and there are specific timelines and regulations that limit how long a child is placed.
Lots of social services are outsourced. Prisons, healthcare, unemployment and workforce development are a few I am familiar with. These companies seem to do a better job than a government bureaucracy, but of course every business should be working towards continual improvement.

You are exactly right about fosters. The families caring for the children are the ones receiving the lion's share of the money. Adoptions though that is a whole different story.

Obviously the money comes from the state and any Federal Government programs and grants they can get their hooks around:
Obviously you have never heard of the fortunes made off of the USA private prison systems either... MOO
After working for years with children and adolescents; there is lots of sexual and physical abuse that goes on in the foster system; I would bet on family, over strangers, if someone has a clear background and passes home evaluation...
IMO

Obviously the money comes from the state and any Federal Government programs and grants they can get their hooks around:
Obviously you have never heard of the fortunes made off of the USA private prison systems either... MOO
After working for years with children and adolescents; there is lots of sexual and physical abuse that goes on in the foster system; I would bet on family, over strangers, if someone has a clear background and passes home evaluation...
IMO

I've worked in Children's Services for 32 years, and I deal with all things fiscal day in/out for Foster Care, adoptions, CPS & Preventive services. We don't get grants, not sure where that idea comes from -- I'm in NY but have worked frequently with FL as I handle out-of-state adoptions that move into my district, and the money piece is pretty uniform across the country. I've found that the only thing that really varies from state-to-state is the amount of money paid to the foster parents, most everything else is comparable.

Federal funding is based on a specific set of criteria that must be fully documented, and that funding does not exceed the actual cost -- income must exceed cost for there to be a profit of any kind, no matter what business you're in. No one working in Children's Services is making extra money, no one overseeing it is making extra money, and no one in a legislative position is making extra money from placing children in Foster Care. We face rigorous audits to ensure we are only claiming the reimbursement we're entitled to, and there are serious sanctions for those districts who are non-compliant. All of these conspiracy theories of DSS getting their hooks into kids because us fat cats are getting a bonus are ridiculous -- for Pete's sake, in my lifetime, I've only ever owned one car from the same decade in which I'm living!

Abuse happens everywhere there are people, whether that be in the child's home or someplace else -- it's why we continue to push and push and push for public education and eliminating the mindset that CPS is the bad guy, so that children speak up when it happens and we can intervene to stop the abuse. It's why we have mandated reporters, so we can be made aware as soon as it's detected, and take action. Family isn't always better, no matter their intentions, and it's not up to anyone outside of the department doing the investigation to make that decision -- it's not done in a vacuum, there is a lot that goes into ensuring a home and caretaker meets the standards in place and has the ability to protect the child from further harm. We make those determinations on facts and evidence, not emotions or urban legends about a price on every child's head so we can line our pockets. Sometimes it's a lengthy process if the person has a lot in their background, and so many times they just aren't appropriate or even willing -- there are plenty of times relatives offer themselves as resources because they are bullied into it by other family members, or they don't realize that they are responsible for getting the kid to appointments and therapy and visitation and court, or they don't want DSS watching over their shoulder, and they quietly back down when they learn those things. John Q Public doesn't get that information, so naturally the world thinks we're slacking or idiots or too busy sitting back counting our billions while Granny pines for a child she doesn't really want to care for but is too uncomfortable to come out and say so.

I've worked in Children's Services for 32 years, and I deal with all things fiscal day in/out for Foster Care, adoptions, CPS & Preventive services. We don't get grants, not sure where that idea comes from -- I'm in NY but have worked frequently with FL as I handle out-of-state adoptions that move into my district, and the money piece is pretty uniform across the country. I've found that the only thing that really varies from state-to-state is the amount of money paid to the foster parents, most everything else is comparable.

Federal funding is based on a specific set of criteria that must be fully documented, and that funding does not exceed the actual cost -- income must exceed cost for there to be a profit of any kind, no matter what business you're in. No one working in Children's Services is making extra money, no one overseeing it is making extra money, and no one in a legislative position is making extra money from placing children in Foster Care. We face rigorous audits to ensure we are only claiming the reimbursement we're entitled to, and there are serious sanctions for those districts who are non-compliant. All of these conspiracy theories of DSS getting their hooks into kids because us fat cats are getting a bonus are ridiculous -- for Pete's sake, in my lifetime, I've only ever owned one car from the same decade in which I'm living!

Abuse happens everywhere there are people, whether that be in the child's home or someplace else -- it's why we continue to push and push and push for public education and eliminating the mindset that CPS is the bad guy, so that children speak up when it happens and we can intervene to stop the abuse. It's why we have mandated reporters, so we can be made aware as soon as it's detected, and take action. Family isn't always better, no matter their intentions, and it's not up to anyone outside of the department doing the investigation to make that decision -- it's not done in a vacuum, there is a lot that goes into ensuring a home and caretaker meets the standards in place and has the ability to protect the child from further harm. We make those determinations on facts and evidence, not emotions or urban legends about a price on every child's head so we can line our pockets. Sometimes it's a lengthy process if the person has a lot in their background, and so many times they just aren't appropriate or even willing -- there are plenty of times relatives offer themselves as resources because they are bullied into it by other family members, or they don't realize that they are responsible for getting the kid to appointments and therapy and visitation and court, or they don't want DSS watching over their shoulder, and they quietly back down when they learn those things. John Q Public doesn't get that information, so naturally the world thinks we're slacking or idiots or too busy sitting back counting our billions while Granny pines for a child she doesn't really want to care for but is too uncomfortable to come out and say so.
Nice post, thanks for the insight. Regarding the bolded, it's pretty easy to search and see that Broward County, where Kam was found, funds foster programs with millions in grant money annually. You can even look at old tax records and it says they're entirely funded with grants.

About ChildNet | ChildNet

Nice post, thanks for the insight. Regarding the bolded, it's pretty easy to search and see that Broward County, where Kam was found, funds foster programs with millions in grant money annually. You can even look at old tax records and it says they're entirely funded with grants.

About ChildNet | ChildNet

Thank you for this, it's an interesting read. I stand corrected that a small portion of the grants this administrative agency receives is used to support some of the Foster Care activities, some of it is passed through to the individual agencies running residential settings, and much of it is used for Preventive services and aftercare. Subcontracted agencies like these are non-profits and do rely in part on outside funding, but they must still follow the state's child welfare laws and operate within those mandates. The state itself does not receive grants, and this document shows that the funding streams are identical to almost every other state in the country.

https://www.childtrends.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Florida_SFY2016-CWFS_12.13.2018.pdf

The important thing to take away is that these contracted agencies do not have control over a child's placement or length of stay, that is a Family Court judge's decision. There is no financial incentive to beef up Foster Care numbers because all of the funding is capped and comes with strings attached in the form of oversight and stipulations as to how it's used. No one is keeping this child from his family based on some government money-making scheme.

Thank you for this, it's an interesting read. I stand corrected that a small portion of the grants this administrative agency receives is used to support some of the Foster Care activities, some of it is passed through to the individual agencies running residential settings, and much of it is used for Preventive services and aftercare. Subcontracted agencies like these are non-profits and do rely in part on outside funding, but they must still follow the state's child welfare laws and operate within those mandates. The state itself does not receive grants, and this document shows that the funding streams are identical to almost every other state in the country.

https://www.childtrends.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Florida_SFY2016-CWFS_12.13.2018.pdf

The important thing to take away is that these contracted agencies do not have control over a child's placement or length of stay, that is a Family Court judge's decision. There is no financial incentive to beef up Foster Care numbers because all of the funding is capped and comes with strings attached in the form of oversight and stipulations as to how it's used. No one is keeping this child from his family based on some government money-making scheme.

This article was posted 10/16/2020
By USA Today...

That is a very sad article, but it doesn't support your premise that people are making money from the admission of kids to care. It also fails to mention that the state of FL has implemented program improvement plans over the past few years to address their shortfalls. And it's a solid kick in the crotch to the thousands of foster families and caseworkers out there who have gone above and beyond to give these kids not only the semblance of a normal home life, but have worked to get those kids back home or into some other permanent living arrangement.

I trust that the agency that took custody of Kam and the family who fostered him have followed every rule and regulation to keep him safe and released to someone who will continue to do the same. If that hasn't happened yet, then I know it's because of a valid reason, and it's one that doesn't have to do with money.

I was actually in foster care for 5 years as a child. I don't know any of the financial aspects but I imagine the fact that some foster parents have multiple fostered children in their home adds to the money they receive. There were at least 3 kids in mine at a time. I stayed briefly at a different foster home and there several kids at that one.

I pray for Kam and his safety wherever he is. I hope everyone who hears his story sends out good thoughts and or prayers for him as well. My personal experience was horrific. My basic needs were never met. Our social worker visited once or twice a year. I remember he took us for ice cream and brought us Christmas presents. However, he was never able to glean the fact that we were physically and emotionally abused (I was also sexually abused). We never went to the dentist or the eye doctor (I was failing 3rd grade because I needed glasses) and the only time we went to the doctor was when there was an outbreak of mumps at my elementary school. We were allowed to bathe once a week so I'm sure I smelled badly at school. I'm not sure where our clothing came from, but I remember wearing dresses that were very short and underwear that fell down.

I feel blessed to have survived and have a good life now. But when I hear how children are neglected, lost and murdered while they have an open CPS case, it confirms my belief that the system is a tragedy. I don't think what I experienced is unique. Case workers are often over burdened and the children are not protected even though the state was has mandated that is their job.

The Government Spends 10 Times More on Foster Care and Adoption Than Reuniting Families

We can argue the point back and forth for the rest of our lives, there's propaganda everywhere that will support one's point of view, no matter what that may be -- look at all of the people out there howling that CPS doesn't remove more kids and that we actually send kids home again instead of immediately terminating a parent's rights. For crying out loud, there is still a faction out there who believe that the earth is flat, and can come up with all kinds of articles to support their belief! I'm telling you as one who has done this work for 31+ years that it's absurd to think that people are getting rich from being foster parents, or that the government is snatching babies because there is financial incentive to do so. Believe it, or don't, it makes no difference to me.

I don't knock the fact that there are many sad tales about Foster Care experiences; there are also many sad tales about foster kids who have burned down the foster family's home, murdered the foster family's pets, sexually abused the other children in the home, and physically harmed the foster parents while they slept; there's an even larger number of sad stories about the horrible things biological families do to their children to cause the child to be removed as well as the things they do after the child is returned home. All of that still doesn't make true the claims that it's a big government conspiracy to get rich by taking people's kids without reason and keeping them prisoner in foster homes.

This discussion about foster care and reunification can be a dead end, to be honest. I can't stop thinking about kids like Gabriel Fernandez that sure would've been alive if they were put into foster care or with another family member. Family reunification should be an option when the family is putting in the work, making sure the children have everything they need and deserve to live a happy, healthy life. And sometimes, as cruel and sad as this sounds, some parents are just not capable of being parents and no child should be subjected to that just because they are their biological parents. I'm not sayin this is the case with Kamdyn, but this child has already been through a pretty messed up situation, let's not further victimize him and make rushed decisions just because it looks better to return him to his family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back