GUILTY FL - Lisa, 26, Zachary, 7, & Savannah Freiberg, 2, murdered, Lutz, 12 May 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
can't find any updates as to what judge ruled on the suppression or even if hearing is finished

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...s-emerges-in-hillsborough-murder-case/2196369

A month before Covington's case is set to go to trial, prosecutors have asked a judge to bar defense attorneys from getting biblical with jurors. In a motion filed late last week, prosecutor Jay Pruner said the public defenders representing Covington should be prohibited from making "any religious arguments to the jury" during the penalty phase, when jurors decide whether to give a defendant the death sentence. That includes using the phrases "a society based on Christian principles" and any reference to "our sins being forgiven by God's mercy"...

A month ago, the same defense attorneys who are representing Covington argued on behalf of Richard McTear Jr., who was accused of murdering his girlfriend's infant son by throwing him onto the side of an interstate in Hillsborough County. During the penalty phase, Assistant Public Defender Theda James asked jurors to spare McTear's life.

"We should leave vengeance to the Lord. It doesn't belong in this courtroom," she said as prosecutors loudly objected... "Pray for forgiveness," she told jurors, who rejected the death penalty for McTear.

I've never heard of this case before but will be following and hope justice comes to that poor family. This crime was horrific.

Thanks for the link. My heart breaks knowing what this mom and kids went through (to include the dog).

The 911 call is truly heart breaking :tears: that poor woman.

Mr Covington better watch his mouth or he will be excused from the courtroom.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 3m3 minutes ago
Court broke #EdwardCovington used profane language toward witness.

#EdwardCovington lawyer agrees he made profane statement toward witness. Wants to talk to client.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 2m2 minutes ago
Court takes a 10 minute break to give #EdwardCovington's lawyer's a chance to talk to him.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 2m2 minutes ago
#EdwardCovington shouts out *advertiser censored** b*** to Gma on the stand. Judge stops proceedings. Muzzle him like Hannibal I say!

That is what I heard ^^^^!

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 2m2 minutes ago
Defense atty addressing judge without #EdwardCovington present. "he is not in a position to be brought back in the courtroom"

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 1m1 minute ago
#EdwardCovington recessing for lunch early. They are going to set up for him to be in holding cell via video.

Defense says #EdwardCovington "not in a position" to return to court. Asking for significant break. He may need to be brought somewhere else

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 2m2 minutes ago
Jury going to be sent out for long lunch. #EdwardCovington

Thanks Zuri for the links!

I guess I don't understand FL law, about the insanity defense. It seems you have to go through trial first to prove you are insane before they can sentence a person. I have seen this on several cases in FL.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 5m5 minutes ago
#EdwardCovington back in court.

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 4m4 minutes ago
#EdwardCovington lawyer moves for a mistrial " based upon the outburst from the defendant that occurred in the courtroom."

Prosecutor says to grant mistrial would reward Mr. Covington for his own misconduct. #EdwardCovington

Judge denies mistrial for #EdwardCovington

Elaine Silvestrini ‏@ElaineTBO 5m5 minutes ago
Covington says, "I fired my legal team."

"I'm extremely dissatisfied and I would rather represent myself and go from there," #EdwardCovington says

"Testimony's been given today that is untruthful and is not being addressed," #EdwardCovington says

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
culley2821
Back