FL - Mass Shooting at Pulse nightclub, Orlando, 12 June 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what has been reported, he had some sort of assault weapon. Assault weapons could be capable of firing hundreds of rounds per minute. In crowded night club, it would be very easy to kill many people in a short period of time.

"We need a president who is strong and keeps our country safe. Politically correctness has made this happen."

I agree- PLEASE don't start with this!

Whenever something like this happens, I get on my internet radio and try to hear local news coverage.

WDBO, the leading local news station in Orlando has been airing a financial advice program this morning. Might be a sponsored show but it would seem they would pre-empt something like this. Anyone local there on here who knows of local stations airing coverage?

Please people don't get this thread shut down by straying into politics/gun control. We don't even have a lot of details, let's wait until more confirmed info comes out before rounding up the wagons and going off on tangents. 50 people are dead, 53 more are fighting for their lives. We cannot fight hate with hate. Just stop. Please.

Amen (from another dobie momma). :) Let's stick to the facts.

I am not surprised at the large number of causalities, it started around bar closing time and building did not get stormed until around 5, who knows how many were in the bathroom but I do not imagine any that were there made it out alive, with 53 injured I suspect the number will rise.

325 people max capacity, that is a rather small venue, a lot of bars easily have a 1,500 capacity.

Does anyone know if they allow the club to stay open past 2am? A lot of bars get around this by changing over to a juice bar after legal hours and stay open til 4am and so on.

Do you have much experience with firearms? Because if not, trust me, it would take some real patience and effort to kill 50 people especially while exchanging gunfire with an off-duty cop. The shooter would have to go back to every single one to make sure they were dead, and if they weren't all cooperating by standing still in a neat and tidy row it would not be easy.

How many were killed in San Bernadino? 22? And that involved TWO heavily armed shooters with NO police at the scene when the shooting started.

My gun expert is asleep and I know next to nothing about assault rifles. First, according to the PC, the police officer on duty only exchanged fire with the shooter outside the club. According to the press conference, "numerous shots" at 2:02 am. That was the initial incident. The officer on duty at the club exchanged fire with the shooter and the shooter went back inside and took hostages.

Several witnesses thought there were two shooters as two guns were firing at the same time. One also said the bullets passed through patrons and struck others. Two patrons said they didn't realize it was gunfire initially, including one whose girlfriend told her it was gunfire. Both said it seemed to be part of the music at first. The DJ thought it was firecrackers.

There were over 300 people in the club, it was crowded. A witness who just spoke on WESH said people were piling up trying to flee.

At the PC, they said the shooter had an AR-15 assault rifle with additional rounds, an unspecified handgun and a "device" they considered "suspicious" on his body. They also said he was "organized" and "well-prepared." The Wikipedia entry for the AR-15 says:

Standard issue magazines are 20- or 30-round staggered-column magazines and traditional box magazines exist in 40- and 45-round capacities.​

Given the above info, is it surprising that he was able to kill 50?

It's a crowded nightclub. I don't see why it would be that difficult to shoot many people with an assault weapon.

Shooting them and killing them are two totally different things. As I pointed out look at the San Bernadino attack, two shooters and a captive audience and 22 dead.

It would take a fair amount of time.

Aren't all terrorist acts "hate crimes"? It only matters what you call it to the media and our president and his spokesman.

Why aren't all "hate crimes" considered terrorist acts then?

One of the women on the news made a great point. Parents all across this Country are terrified about sending their children to school every day, yet all those who are responsible for our mass school shootings are never labeled terrorists.

I have personally always labeled ALL those responsible for mass shootings terrorists. I don't care about what other people label them... they are terrorists to me.

No, folks will assume there was more than one. Some witnesses already said they thought there were 2 or 3.

If the shooter held them hostage for quite some time then he would have time to kill 50, but it would be pretty amazing. The fact the victims were for the most part fit adult males makes it a far cry from Sandy Hook.

According to the Heavy.com article, the gunman had about 3 hours until he was killed.

Shooting them and killing them are two totally different things. As I pointed out look at the San Bernadino attack, two shooters and a captive audience and 22 dead.

It would take a fair amount of time.

Not if you are shooting into the crowd. Then it's hard to miss.

Omar Mateen, a 29-year-old U.S.-born citizen, has been identified as the suspect in Sunday's mass shooting that left at least 50 dead and more than 50 others wounded at the Pulse Nightclub, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida.

Mateen's parents were born in Afghanistan, and he was "on the radar" of U.S. officials for some time, but was not the target of a specific investigation, law enforcement officials told ABC News.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/omar-mateen-suspected-orlando-night-club-shooter/story?id=39790797
rbbm.

woah. when the death toll went suddenly from 20 to 50 i burst out crying. Yes its possible to do such a slaughter with unsuspecting people. The poster about Norway's killer was right. The number killed was just in reality over 70. Please don't talk about gun control or politics. I say this with good intentions and I understand the instant reaction, I really do. But this is why i love websleuths. This site gives victims a voice and sympathies. Let's all just send our prayers and thoughts to the families and friends of the killed and those injured. And anyone directly worried about the status of someone they know.. please know you are in my thoughts.

Do you have much experience with firearms? Because if not, trust me, it would take some real patience and effort to kill 50 people especially while exchanging gunfire with an off-duty cop. The shooter would have to go back to every single one to make sure they were dead, and if they weren't all cooperating by standing still in a neat and tidy row it would not be easy.

How many were killed in San Bernadino? 22? And that involved TWO heavily armed shooters with NO police at the scene when the shooting started.

Respectfully, that is not true. In close quarters (which is the case here) it is more than possible. A clip holds 30 bullets, eject and reload another clip.

Very sad day in America.

Can this be verified? Do you have a link to something online?

They are reporting it on CNN. I'm watching the news so no, I do not have a link. They've said it multiple times now. That he worked for a Private Security Firm and has worked for the US Government (meaning he was sent out through his firm to work for them... probably as security for events/individuals).

Why aren't all "hate crimes" considered terrorist acts then?

Because terrorist acts have a political or social agenda. A lunatic shooting up a school because he doesn't like is classmates, or because he is off his meds doesn't constitute a violent act meant to terrorize people to further a political/social agenda.

Classifying every shooter as a terrorist would be ridiculous unless the goal is to ignore the political/extremist groups that are planning attacks (though the idea may appeal to some seeking power, if only they could get the FBI to go along with the change in definition).

If every nut job off his meds became a "terrorist" then we could pretend the organized groups are nothing to worry about since they only account for a tiny fraction of "terrorist attacks".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay