FL - Mass Shooting at Pulse nightclub, Orlando, 12 June 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is disappointing to note in this forum that homophobia is getting attributed to muslims. Islam is not the only religion that is intolerant of the LGBT community. In this country, it is very common to hear it from non-muslim folks who portray themselves as loyal to a higher being.

Isis targets many people who are different, including westerners in general. But LGBT Americans—actually, the LGBT community around the world—are explicitly singled out by millions of non-muslim Americans on a daily basis. This too is terrorism.

In the focus on Isis in the aftermath of this episode it is easy to forget that the LGBT community lives with this terror every day...from fellow Americans who style themselves as god-fearing religious practitioners.

So, let's not attach terrorism directed at LGBT folks to Isis or the islamic religion. Bigotry is common to many religions, and is pervasive in the US.

Excellent post, thank you. People should not forget that as little as a few months ago one of our prospective Presidential candidates attended a "Kill the Gays" rally, lead by a pastor. In no way is deadly homophobia exclusive to Islamic extremists.

Thank you - I have not heard that he was there since 9:30 - certainly, if he was - you are right on point - he sat there and watched and drank and got more riled up as time ticked on.

It is 2 hours away from his home so he had to have left the house by 7:30. I've heard it was a rented van - more proof of premeditation. And - that parking spot, you don't get that close to these clubs later in the evening. The more people that show up - the further away you usually have to park. So, the 9:30 arrival makes even more sense.

And he had to have stormed the door with those guns. You can't just walk in with a long gun and a glock - good security at the door would spot that right quick.

JMHO

I don't think it's been confirmed that he was inside the club as early as 9:30. I can't find that information in MSM, but I'm looking for it.

The only place I recall seeing that information today is in a post here that provided no link to support it.

And so it goes.

CNN showing new video of the police storming the club. So many shots!

It is disappointing to note in this forum that homophobia is getting attributed to muslims. Islam is not the only religion that is intolerant of the LGBT community. In this country, it is very common to hear it from non-muslim folks who portray themselves as loyal to a higher being.

Isis targets many people who are different, including westerners in general. But LGBT Americans—actually, the LGBT community around the world—are explicitly singled out by millions of non-muslim Americans on a daily basis. This too is terrorism.

In the focus on Isis in the aftermath of this episode it is easy to forget that the LGBT community lives with this terror every day...from fellow Americans who style themselves as god-fearing religious practitioners.

So, let's not attach terrorism directed at LGBT folks to Isis or the islamic religion. Bigotry is common to many religions, and is pervasive in the US.

Thank you.

Man with weapons was headed to L.A. gay pride parade

Please forgive me for the stupid question: Do we know why fake names were being given? I read the whole article that was linked & I still can't figure it out! I did notice one of the victims listed at the website providing updates after first of kin is notified was noted to be 20 years old. So I'm wondering if other victims were under 21, and potentially were carrying 'fake' IDs so that they could get into the club? Not judging if anyone did--I had an older friend's sister's ID who looked a lot like me (but was 6 years older) before I turned 21. I am probably missing something obvious, however.

Its the same as hetero bars, if the person taking cover charges enters, and the girl is hot he will let her slide

Same here , if a twinkie, that the guy at the door thinks is cute - he will let him in!!

O/T: to show the need for strict guidelines, my father contracted Hepatitis C from a blood transfusion in 1981 during graft surgery for third-degree burns as a result of a refinery explosion. It was my understanding that at that time HepC had not yet been identified and, as a result, the blood donation was not screened for it. HIV was also active at that time but I don't think it was on the "radar" yet and the donation was also not tested for it. After it was learned he had contracted HepC, he was tested for HIV and was negative. He ultimately died from complications of the HepC. Unfortunately he fell in the gap between diagnosis and the development of any real treatment. It would be different if he was diagnosed today. Of the six men burned in the explosion, four ended up with HepC.

So sorry for your loss! Yes, this was not at all uncommon back then.

In reality it is NEVER a good thing to get blood from a blood bank. Because for HIV there is a "window" in which the disease cannot be detected in a newly infected person. But when someone might die if they don't get needed blood, unless the hospital will allow a direct donation from a compatible known source, it is all that is available.

I encountered a situation back in the mid-90s where a loved one was in a severe accident in Canada. This person needed two units of blood - badly. At the time Canada, or at least British Columbia did not screen their blood supply at all. I was the same blood type as the patient and offered to donate the two pints. The hospital refused, saying they ONLY used blood from the blood bank. I went up the chain of command at that hospital, but they would not budge.

So my loved one got the unscreened blood. And she recovered. But she also had to go for regular HIV and HepC testing for a year after that. Thankfully she never got anything.

As an aside - an American, I spent three weeks at my loved one's beside all day, every day until she was recovered enough to be transported back to a U.S. hospital and the U.S. health care system. The Canadian people were wonderful to me. The Canadian health care system was not wonderful, at all. I definitely learned why Canadians who have the money to do so come to the U.S. for surgeries!

I heard on an Orlando news stream earlier that the hospital asked families to stay home tonight. It sounds like they have their hands full. A doctor spoke during an earlier press conference and said "many are critically ill" and that he thought the death toll would rise. (Noted here.)

I am surprised that has not happened throughout the day today- and then the age of the victim matters ...............

I think some of the notions about the ex might be forgetting that mental illiness is a life long illiness. She IMO, would not have to have been in contact with him for 7 years and still be aware that he was suffering from mental illiness.

Excellent post, thank you. People should not forget that as little as a few months ago one of our prospective Presidential candidates attended a "Kill the Gays" rally, lead by a pastor. In no way is deadly homophobia exclusive to Islamic extremists.

That was Cruz and Huckabee? Who was the pastor?

So sorry for your loss! Yes, this was not at all uncommon back then.

In reality it is NEVER a good thing to get blood from a blood bank. Because for HIV there is a "window" in which the disease cannot be detected in a newly infected person. But when someone might die if they don't get needed blood, unless the hospital will allow a direct donation from a compatible known source, it is all that is available.

I encountered a situation back in the mid-90s where a loved one was in a severe accident in Canada. This person needed two units of blood - badly. At the time Canada, or at least British Columbia did not screen their blood supply at all. I was the same blood type as the patient and offered to donate the two pints. The hospital refused, saying they ONLY used blood from the blood bank. I went up the chain of command at that hospital, but they would not budge.

So my loved one got the unscreened blood. And she recovered. But she also had to go for regular HIV and HepC testing for a year after that. Thankfully she never got anything.

She must have felt like she was holding her breath for a year. So unnecessary...and frustrating!

Something playing on my mind - he was there for a quite a few hours (or he left and came back, not sure?). Why did he wait until closing time? Is that when the most people are there? I get that at 9.30 it might be quieter, but would it have been busy at say midnight or 1am. Anyone have any ideas why he might have waited? Hesitation or is there a more practical reason?

People have their guard down then because they've been drinking and enjoying one another's company. The early morning hours, when bar goers are relaxed, makes them extremely vulnerable and defenseless. This gunman obviously hated LGBT folks, and "gay bars" are long-time traditional gathering places for the LGBT community, places where they have felt safer for decades than in the outside world. 2 am? Reconnoitered, calculated, and evil.

I haven't a chance to simply say....my thoughts are with the victims and their loved ones, as well as the community. Be strong. Many of us are here to support you.

:grouphug:

Respectfully BBM:

He called 911 just prior to his mass shooting and pledged allegiance to ISIS. He attached his terrorist act to ISIS/the Islamic religion himself. Nobody here did that for him.

Seems some don't want to believe him, however.

Thank you so much for saying this. I am very appreciative.

This makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking along those same lines.

Anybody else get the feeling that there is a lot we are not being told about the timeline? It started at around 2:00 with a big round of gun fire, then ended at 5:00 when LE broke through the wall of the building with an armored vehicle. What happened in those three hours in between? Was he walking around shooting people for 3 hours? Hunting down hiding in the building? Was it quiet? Were they trying to negotiate?

Also they reported about an hour ago that they were still bringing bodies out of the building. Why is that taking so long? Sorry to be graphic, but this wasn't a bombing where there would be bits and pieces. These people died by gunshots, they would be mostly intact.

Anybody else noticing this stuff?

I haven't been following it all day, but earlier noon, I was surprised to read the news that LE said all the victims were killed by the murderer's assault rifle. How would they know that? Many bodies were still inside at that time, hadn't been removed. How would you know which weapon killed them w/o an autopsy? It just seems strange.

ETA: A man who lived across the street was just interviewed on CNN. He shared video he took of the LE assault. Reporter asked him if he heard LE talking to or negotiating with the killer. He said no, he didn't hear any communication between them.

Link please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members