FL - Mass Shooting at Pulse Nightclub, Orlando 12 June 2016 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jury deliberates fate of Pulse gunman's widow
Noor Salman's family says they 'have faith' in jury

"...On Wednesday, after three weeks of testimony and evidence, the 12-member jury panel began to deliberate if Salman is guilty of what the U.S. government has accused her of -- aiding and abetting the attempted provision and provision of material support to a foreign terrorist organization. She is also charged with obstruction of justice for allegedly lying to the FBI.

"It's in the jury's hands," Al Salman said of his 31-year-old niece's fate. "They are intelligent. They are smart. They are paying attention. So we have faith in the jury."

Al Salman and two of his cousins, from California, have been in court every day since opening statements were made, sitting 6 feet behind their niece. Noor Salman has been in jail since January 2017, and hasn't seen her relatives, including her now 5-year-old son, since she was extradited to Florida....

After closing arguments, the judge went over instructions for the set of legal requirements for the jurors to follow to ensure Salman is not wrongly convicted. The government's burden of proof is beyond reasonable doubt. If the jury has any doubt about whether Salman is guilty, they must acquit her. Read more here about how the jury will make its decision.

The judge went over those instructions with the jury members and then notified the six alternate jurors that they could go home, but said they may be called back if another member has to leave for any reason during deliberation.

"I believe in our system. I believe in our jury system. I believe in our jury," Salman's aunt Susan Adieh said...."

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/n...ily-says-they-have-faith-in-deliberating-jury
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WSer Pinkdragon's friend

Paul Terrell Henry: 'A loving spirit'

June 24 2016

"Francisco Hernandez plans to go back to school.

That's what his boyfriend, Paul Terrell Henry, would have wanted. Henry, 41, was among the victims of the Pulse nightclub tragedy on June 12.

"He knew I had the potential for greater things,'' a heartbroken Hernandez said. "I had three years of college but didn't finish. He wanted the best for me, to succeed and to help me make something of myself.

"I am definitely going to do that for him. I am going to make something of myself.''

Hernandez said Henry, a St. Petersburg native, loved to dance and have fun. Henry enjoyed spending time at the Bear Den at Parliament House and excelled at pool.

He loved his family, including two children. His daughter, Alexia, recently graduated high school. He also had a son.,,,"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...613-story.html

57602ef788579.image.jpg

Link: https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.tow...93f-b280-4268c2d8f1e2/57602ef788579.image.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you. He was a beautiful soul.

I’m still conflicted. I think she had to know at least some of it. I don’t think she should walk away without punishment but I’m not sure what that punishment should be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bob Hazen WESH@HazenWESH
1h1 hour ago
#Pulse trial: we heard Noor Salman speak in court today for the first time. She replied "yes" twice when asked by judge if she understood that she did not have to testify, and if she had decided not to testify. #WESH

Bob Hazen WESH@HazenWESH
41m41 minutes ago
This photo took on huge new meaning today: prosecutors say #Pulse killer planned to use this stroller, bought night before attack, to hide his rifle and attack at #Disney Springs. They say he left after seeing how many deputies were present, eventually finding Pulse. #WESH

DZZUSPUW4AYZcIa.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Hazen WESH@HazenWESH
16m16 minutes ago
BREAKING: jury has question in #Pulse trial #WESH

Gal Tziperman Lotan@tzigal
3m3 minutes ago
Jury in Noor Salman case had 2 questions. First was about wording of Mateen's offense, which Salman is accused of aiding and abetting. They are asked to determine whether Mateen provided material support to the Islamic State group or attempted to, independently of their direction

56s56 seconds ago
The jurors asked for a more exact definition of "acted entirely independently of the direction or control of ISIS." Judge Paul Byron sent back a definition. Jurors also asked for an exhibit list, since there is a lot of it in this trial -- Byron said no

1m1 minute ago
Byron said he typically does not send evidence lists back to jurors -- it's essentially creating another piece of evidence and can raise questions about why certain exhibits gathered in preparation for the case were not shown to jurors.

2m2 minutes ago
Worth noting that the wording question the jury had was about the first element of count one. They have a lot of work to do in this case.

Bob Hazen WESH@HazenWESH
8m8 minutes ago
#Pulse trial: jury questions were about: 1) can they have copy of exhibit list (judge says no) and 2) meaning of "acted independently". Judge says it means independently of foreign ISIS control and direction #WESH
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3m3 minutes ago
Jurors also asked for copies of Salman's three written statements to the FBI -- Byron printed out 12 copies so they can each have their own. At about 5 p.m. he will have the court security officer ask the jurors if they want to keep going or go home and come back tomorrow.

3m3 minutes ago
"I suspect they'll want to go," Byron said. So unless jurors are very close to a verdict after only about three hours of deliberation, we will likely come back tomorrow.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Hazen WESH Retweeted

Matt Lupoli@mattlupoli
24m24 minutes ago
Another request came from the jury -- they wanted copies of Noor Salman's written statements to the FBI.

Now, they've each been given one. #SalmanTrial
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Hazen WESH@HazenWESH
5m5 minutes ago
Key pieces of evidence 2 sides focused on in #Pulse trial closings: Noor Salman’s “confession”; her “cover” text to Omar Mateen about Nemo; family’s late night trip to W Palm Beach #WESH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23m23 minutes ago
It's official: Jurors in Noor Salman case will be back for more deliberations tomorrow. No verdict today.

Bob Hazen WESH Retweeted

Greg Fox@GregFoxWESH
7m7 minutes ago
Very little comment from #salmantrial defense team for defendant Noor Salman. WESH 2 News @AmandaOberWESH asking questions of attorney Charles Swift. @WESH

(video clip https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/979106498629505027...)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Krista M. Torralva@KMTorralva
4m4 minutes ago
Family spokeswoman Susan Clary says the prosecution seemed “desperate” in closing arguments.

(video clip https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/979109249639964673...)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My local TV News said jury asked judge for list of all items in evidence- judge refused their request.

I wonder if the jury is looking for something specific (in re their request for exhibit list) or if they are just so overwhelmed by the quantity of exhibits that they need the list to know what they've got. I'm thinking the former, and am curious what that might be.

4m4 minutes ago
"That doesn't make it less tragic. Not in any way, shape, or form. It's a horrible, random, senseless killing by a monster. But it wasn't pre-planned," Swift said. "And if he didn't know, she couldn't know."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WAIT, is the defense trying to argue here that Omar Mateen didn't plan this attack out in advance?! That's just ridiculous because there are plenty of examples of his behavior that suggest otherwise.

Deliberations to continue Thursday for widow of Pulse shooter

"ORLANDO, Fla. - The fate of Noor Salman, the widow of the Pulse nightclub shooter Omar Mateen, is now in the hands of a jury.

The 12-member jury, which consists of seven women and five men, received instructions, and deliberations began at 1:42 p.m. Wednesday.

Federal Judge Paul Byron allowed the jurors to deliberate until 5 p.m., but since no verdict was reached, deliberations will resume at 9 a.m. Thursday....

If Salman is found not guilty of aiding and abetting, jurors have the option to select attempted aiding and abetting.

During deliberations, jurors examined a statement Salman made to FBI agents in the hours after her husband carried out the attack.

After the jury deliberated for a few hours, they asked the judge if they could look at the statement Salman made to the FBI. The statement suggests Salman knew of an attack and did nothing to stop it. The judge printed out copies of it to be given to the panel.

Before Salman's trial, her attorneys had sought to prevent the statement from being presented as evidence. They have argued at trial that it was coerced.

The jurors also asked a question about an index of evidence and the wording on one of the charges Salman faces...."

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/del...thursday-for-widow-of-pulse-shooter/722903122
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I were on the jury, given the evidence presented I couldn't vote her guilty. (JMHO)

Let's see if I guess this one right? I got the Casey Anthony verdict correct. I got the George Zimmerman verdict correct. Maybe I'll get this wrong?

Hadas Brown@HadasBrownWESH
6m6 minutes ago
Waiting on #NoorSalman verdict outside federal court this morning. The jury is now in its second day of deliberations, and media is set up waiting at both entry points to the courthouse. @WESH #salmantrial

DZdcL4BVQAAJoTe.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hadas Brown@HadasBrownWESH
2m2 minutes ago
NEW: #NoorSalman’s attorney just went past, telling us in passing that the jury has another question. #SalmanTrial @WESH

DZdeWbGVAAIeDRK.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Hazen WESH@HazenWESH
16m16 minutes ago
BREAKING: jury has question in #Pulse trial #WESH

3m3 minutes ago
Jury in Noor Salman case had 2 questions. First was about wording of Mateen's offense, which Salman is accused of aiding and abetting. They are asked to determine whether Mateen provided material support to the Islamic State group or attempted to, independently of their direction

56s56 seconds ago
The jurors asked for a more exact definition of "acted entirely independently of the direction or control of ISIS." Judge Paul Byron sent back a definition. Jurors also asked for an exhibit list, since there is a lot of it in this trial -- Byron said no

1m1 minute ago
Byron said he typically does not send evidence lists back to jurors -- it's essentially creating another piece of evidence and can raise questions about why certain exhibits gathered in preparation for the case were not shown to jurors.

2m2 minutes ago
Worth noting that the wording question the jury had was about the first element of count one. They have a lot of work to do in this case.

Bob Hazen WESH@HazenWESH
8m8 minutes ago
#Pulse trial: jury questions were about: 1) can they have copy of exhibit list (judge says no) and 2) meaning of "acted independently". Judge says it means independently of foreign ISIS control and direction #WESH
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember this happening with other trials, and I was very surprised that judges never give an exhibit list with numbers and what the exhibit is. If I ever go to a trial and am on a jury, I will always note in my notes what the exhibit number is 4 what is going on in the trial. I'm shocked and surprised, but it goes on with every single trial I have ever followed.

Matt Lupoli@mattlupoli
2m2 minutes ago
The jury is about an hour into its deliberations today and they've asked a question of the judge. They're asking for a definition or example of "encouragement" and "support" as it pertains to the charge of aiding and abetting. #SalmanTrial

2m2 minutes ago
Noor Salman jury asked the judge to clarify what would constitute "encouragement" and "support" on the aiding and abetting charge, and to give an example. U.S. District Judge Paul Byron said he can't give an example, but said Salman would have to associate herself w/criminal act
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2m2 minutes ago
Byron said it seemed the jury wanted a clear definition of "willful." He gave them some wording and cited case law from other aiding and abetting cases.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back