FL - Michelle Mishcon, 53, & John Stevens, 59, brutally murdered, Tequesta, 15 Aug 2016 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is heartbreaking. Can you imagine waking up the next morning and finding out what you did?

Its kinda tacky (the ole buck ) that they a teasing it with varying amounts of release. This is not a motion picture - it is a tradegy all the way around .

Does anyone recall when it was taped -- if i recall it was pretty soon after -- meanwhile hospital was saying he was near death for 6 weeks something a bit off - he looks good??

here is more

http://cbs12.com/news/local/exclusive-accused-face-biting-killer-austin-harrouff-opens-up-to-dr-phil

I also found it interesting when he says "If it was real".....IMO that is telling

also, this struck me

"I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive .................................

and his pause was so sad at this point - it was like he could not complete it with

"me"

for several seconds

after "me" saying it aloud from them on he is wrecked

imo the "me" was huge and hard and reality oriented

I do no tthink this was anything about the future trial -- anguished kid who did horrific things for which he has no idea why he did it -

jmo

I do no tthink this was anything about the future trial -- anguished kid who did horrific things for which he has no idea why he did it -

He says he saved a dog then hijacked a car and then everything was a blur. I think his whole reality is off as I don't think anyone accused him of hijacking a car before this happened, but instead his memory of saving a dog might have been when the wife was killed and hijacking the car when the husband was killed. However, he says he's never in his life touched steroids, which I don't believe that and I still think him going off steroids could have precipitated this.

I have to be honest, I'd say theBIGGEST question for me is why his attorney, his parents, the hospital would EVER let him be interviewed. It's no secret that it would taint any jury pool. I just don't get it.

I have to be honest, I'd say theBIGGEST question for me is why his attorney, his parents, the hospital would EVER let him be interviewed. It's no secret that it would taint any jury pool. I just don't get it.

I agree. It was strange when his father rushed to get on the Dr. Phil Show. Even stranger now is the accused murderer is going to be on tv this week, before he has a trial, explaining, I guess, how he was mentally ill then and appeal to the public for mercy. These are uncommon tactics, IMO, but you know curious me will probably watch the show.

http://www.drphil.com/
Thursday, March 2nd on Dr. Phil

http://www.drphil.com/shows/florida-frat-boy-accused-of-murder-the-austin-harrouff-interview/

I agree. It was strange when his father rushed to get on the Dr. Phil Show. Even stranger now is the accused murderer is going to be on tv this week, before he has a trial, explaining, I guess, how he was mentally ill then and appeal to the public for mercy. These are uncommon tactics, IMO, but you know curious me will probably watch the show.

http://www.drphil.com/
Thursday, March 2nd on Dr. Phil

http://www.drphil.com/shows/florida-frat-boy-accused-of-murder-the-austin-harrouff-interview/

Dr Phil was smart enough to never sir this...but shame on those that allowed him to film it. Jmo

Dr Phil was smart enough to never sir this...but shame on those that allowed him to film it. Jmo

Maybe it is the therapist in me. It could be true that they went to that idiot cause they were trying to get what many think is expert help!

Phil is a schmuck clinically!! But Oprah found him - rest is history,

I just don't feel like in that whirlwind they were thinking about 4 years down the road - I think all feeling profound guilt and confusion about events.

Understandably this is interesting to me. I have always thought Phil was a horrible shaming, judgmental clinician. You can stay home and get that treatment without paying anyone!!

Hummmmm

Amazing what 25 minutes can do!

Random and rambling notions - not that they are important but that is what we do here!! Share!!

Phil is awful. Ask a question and shut up. therapy, good therapy, should not be an integration. Leave that to LE. Often you get much more if you let one have time and space to share. Be fine with silence - it affords the other person the opportunity to elaborate.

Isn't that what a good clinician wants to find out, what the person's experience is? IMO any therapist that wants to be "watched" doing their craft is not doing it for the right reasons. Aint a show - it is personal - private- between us.

He was rapid fire in the beginning.

Do I think this kid is sick - yep, much more by the YouTube stuff than this. The kid had by this point been on meds for some time.

That changes much imo.

Seeing it in its entirety there is much more a feeling of being coached. A lot.

Typically there are two kinds of hallucinations/delusions. One is IN one's mind - they are internal. In their head.

The other is external being told to ......... a lot of times you can determine if there is malingering when folks go between the two.

Typically they are one or the other - internal or external. He went in and out of both. Am I saying he is not ill, no.

Phil goes into this whole intro about telling Austin what HIS YouTubes were about. Phil how do you know? Isn't it more important to find out what he thinks he was doing on youtube. His stuff on youtube, at times, was off the wall.

mo only - better- what was going on for you when you were posting on youtube? Shut up and listen.

Any clinician that for whatever reason feels the need to let a pt know that there is no right or wrong answer has not done a good job in establishing rapport - that simple imo. That is parents.

I do after seeing the whole thing thinking this IS more court-related than an authentic therapeutic situation - shame on you Phil. He is sick.

He has the dry mouth -- serious meds do that .

Phil is so awful - testing for isolation - he tells him so you have not been seeing your friend as much lately. Better , moo, did it feel as if there were any changes in your relationships with others before this?

Much of it is not a memory loss issue. Typically they can tell you, often in detail (before being on meds for weeks!) exactly what the voices were saying, reasons why they had to do what they did.

This was groomed now after seeing the whole thing. IMO- . Interestingly we never got a BAL did we. That could help with some memory stuff possibly. He was definitely medicated - he was flat and matter of fact.

He was able to remember details (yes I ran) but at other times could not (clothes off).

He said I did not remember at first - he has been told lots obviously.

He does not think he ran up to her. That is a detail one would not remember one way or the other. Voices are telling them to do stuff that is what they remember. Not state of dress. running or walking.

Why did you pick up the machete - because John told me I had to.

Did you realize what was going on - yes they were trying to kill me .

He is asking leading questions.

When you left were you thinking clearly ? Idiot people who are not thinking clearly do not know or remember if they are or are not. Obviously, he stabbed three people, killed two , and dined on one - he was not thinking clearly. I think we can assume that, just mo- give me a break.

"Into the altercation" - it's not typically an altercation - it would be they were trying to kill me so I stabbed them what would you do

did you realize what was going on yes they were telling me they had to kill me

Phil It was what you knew about him (Daniel) before? What is he talking about?

He totally passed on the hijacking a car. That is rather significant no?? He just went back to his prewritten questions. Prewritten questions result in not hearing anything moo. Again ain't a show -- but it is .Huh?

Phil, for the cameras (look at how good I am) having him cry. If your good, that will occur, when the pt is ready. Feels safe. Comfortable. You never need to send an invitation to feel sad, remorseful ( Do you feel ashamed?). They will go there without prompt- when ready.

I need to find someone to help me -rarely is that insight present.

Do you remember when you took your pants off? Who cares? I would rather know what occurred that resulted in that behavior and choice, not when! 10:43 PM!

I have a faint memory- their memories are vivid.

Where I am going is with you all -- not that he is not very ill - but the Phil interview was, now that I have seen it is court.

And dad.

I can change my mind after more details! Ha! I am with ya guys.

He is asking too many concrete questions - you want to find out what the delusion was. What the voices were commanding.

What was he protecting himself from?

How were they going to hurt him?

What was he afraid of?

Refusing to talk about the drink is def lawyer. You would get a concrete answer, I was thirsty, I thought it was lemonade, it was super juice whatever. Anyone know why a lawyer would say do not talk about that? After stabbing and eating people I do not understand why drinking a toxic substance has a whole bunch to do with much?

First, it was I do not want to talk about it, then he came back with can't talk about it - a heap of difference. If it were me and my heart, not ratings, were in this I would want to know why he is not sharing. There is a difference.

His answer to flakka was odd - is it a crystal? That is a bizarre answer IMO.

You know about bath salts and read about it "vs what do you know about bath salts? It matters! How the questions are asked.

Have any of your friends ever taken flakka - not that I know is different than an adamant no?

Dad specifically mentioned tea at Duffy's (at that time I thought that was bizarre - my son just did what he did and I am talking about what he drank struck me as so weird that night ) - so did Austin in this interview - he just mauled three people and was eating them but he too remembers he ordered tea - that's dad.. moo

He made himself close to his house (IE confused houses) they would not know that in hindsight.

Leading questions - once he did not see Danial -- later Phil led him (you saw Danial) and he had a recollection. Phil it is not your job to tell a pt what was happening. The whole point is to understand the pts world, you idiot! Better, IMO, what do you recall as it relates to Daniel? Shut up again!

In the middle of a murder, he is telling himself he needs to get help? That is absurd -- they were trying to kill me.

Very adamant that he did not run up to her or yell at her. He was found growling and eating.

Do you remember - much better is what do you remember - getting content not going for just checking if they have a memory- kinda useless.

do you remember yes what do you remember she was walking toward me and she had an AK47 in her hand and telling me I am the devil -- much more informative.

Phil could not even say what he did. It's not an incident Phil. It's a gruesome cannibalistic murder.

Is it hard to imagine you did this - what a moronic question.

When he goes into what does he want to say to the family I would want to see if he looked into the camera on his own -- not direct him to. That is data.

Are you ashamed of what you did - no they were trying to kill me and I had to kill them. I was protecting myself from those bad people.

Any question that starts with why is not good. It is asking for a justification.

Dad stepping in on the degree of injury to the good guy tacky as heck -- his son killed and ate two people - give me a break daddy.

You felt like you had super powers vs did you ever feel as if you had tremendous powers.

You have been losing touch with reality vs in the past several months did you feel as if things were changing for you?

I thought it was wildly telling when he said (with insight) that she had a response to a strange male walking up to her close to naked. That made sense to me. No one would not be scared if someone walked into their space close to naked. I had wondered, in the past if he wanted to rape her. No flakka - takes away the need to take off clothes. Rape is about power and control. He just came off of feeling powerless with his father??

I heard his voice distinctly versus he had no idea earlier - he lets it go - I am confused earlier you said .....................

Hitting a dog vs saving a dog? Columbo is always good! I am confused you said you hit a dog and then you said saving a dog, I am confused. Then shut up Phil. See how he corrects and clarifies.

I did not want to do it. He blows over it. What do you think happened, Austin? Shut up again Phil!!

Are you ashamed who cares relevance?

Telling a pt suffering with paranoia that they are paranoid is not exactly helpful!!

I did find him saying I hope something like this never happens again was potent, imo. Indicating fear of losing control again.

For some reason when he said, "close relatives" that broke my heart.

When asked if he thought he was mentally ill, I thought his answer was totally authentic. I don't know I guess so. I don't know. It's scary to own your mental ill.

We have to remember this is a 19-year-old. There are times throughout where he does become somewhat juvenile. moo

Funny if anyone made it to this sentence TY!

I think the reason Austin isn't allowed to say anything about drinking the substance in the garage is because it maybe shows that he was trying to commit suicide, which may show he was lucid and tarnish the mental illness defense.

I think the reason Austin isn't allowed to say anything about drinking the substance in the garage is because it maybe shows that he was trying to commit suicide, which may show he was lucid and tarnish the mental illness defense.

I agree with you on that

Cariis,
Your insights outlined in post #1008 are provoking. Lots to ponder. Thanks for posting your thoughts regarding the interview from a clinician standpoint. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Cariis,
Your insights outlined in post #1008 are provoking. Lots to ponder. Thanks for posting your thoughts regarding the interview from a clinician standpoint. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I TY that is nice.

Of course suicide during psychosis happens. Just because he attempted suicide doesn't mean he was doing so out of an awareness that what he did was wrong. In court it could easily be argued that he did so to escape his hallucinations. It could also be argued that in that if you are insane enough to try to consume human flesh you are insane enough to guzzle something toxic.

Such a strange case for me in that something about him and his father seems off and untrustworthy. They set my BS meter off big time yet on the other hand I can't imagine actions and behaviors such as Austin's from someone not in a psychotic state. I have a hard time imagining what the prosecution is going to say to convince a jury Austin was legally sane at the time.

Of course suicide during psychosis happens. Just because he attempted suicide doesn't mean he was doing so out of an awareness that what he did was wrong. In court it could easily be argued that he did so to escape his hallucinations. It could also be argued that in that if you are insane enough to try to consume human flesh you are insane enough to guzzle something toxic.

Such a strange case for me in that something about him and his father seems off and untrustworthy. They set my BS meter off big time yet on the other hand I can't imagine actions and behaviors such as Austin's from someone not in a psychotic state. I have a hard time imagining what the prosecution is going to say to convince a jury Austin was legally sane at the time.

I agree that suicide can be committed in various stages of psychosis but I remember reading that when Austin was finally controlled by police at the scene he kept saying "Oh my God, just kill me. I deserve to die". That, to me, shows some clarity. I still think he acted out of severe mental illness but I think the defense is trying to protect their angle.

ean he was doing so out of an awareness that what he did was wrong. In court it could easily be argued that he did so to escape his hallucinations. It could also be argued that in that if you are insane enough to try to consume human flesh you are insane enough to guzzle something toxic.

Such a strange case for me in that something about him and his father seems off and untrustworthy. They set my BS meter off big time yet on the other hand I can't imagine actions and behaviors such as Austin's from someone not in a psychotic state. I have a hard time imagining what the prosecution is going to say to convince a jury Austin was legally sane at the time.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Going all over the place with the can't talk about poisoning!

Hollywood makes suicide an impulsive act. In truth, rarely so, unless psychotic.

It is usually a long battle NOT to attempt.

So , I now ponder, I really wish I could remember how far along (date) when we became aware that he had also had a filmed interview with AUstin.

i wonder of the escohpsos stuff was way overplayed (he was a dentist pull some strings ) by hospital to give them more time to get their act toegher.

We all were shocked that beside losing weight, , when transported to jail, he sure did not look like anything much had happened.

He looked totally fine in Phils interview, which was before discharge from the hospital.

I never saw (in Phil) any IV stuff anywhere. Before the interview starts apparently Austin was doing calisthenics in bed.

Who is in a hospital doing calisthenics?

In jail transfer I remember thinking I did not see any bruising on his arms from IVs, one might think there might be something in the neck region as well.

Looked it up . "Phil filmed it days before release"-- that is the quote.

I thought he looked better in the Phil interview than the perp walk.

Listening to the first presser in background. My thought
was one would think that there would be an odor that would be noticed by responders. They were all over him to restrain him. Was the "drinking something" in the initial presser.

killing them remains hospitalized but is improving. (Aug 17)

unable to speak because of a breathing tube

IIRC the drinking did not come out for some time. Does it make sense that after drinking something that results in weeks and weeks of hospital care would not be observed by hospital folks upon admit?

WIth flakka ruled out they are going to have a very time explaining his ability to not be impacted (other than a psycotic break?) by dog, taser, etc etc.

Nothing about the caustic drink in the initial report.

Coach wanted him to be more aggressive on the field.

Prosecutor is going to have to come up with something if they want to fight mental illness as causation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMcKPwkOEo

Hi! I'm entirely new to this thread/case. Tapatalk went goofy and as I was trying to get to the menu this opened...and so I started to read.

I've read much of the thread but an answer I can't seem to find is - why did dad initially claim son was incredibly sick/pneumonia/on deaths door, in the beginning...and then that kinda just went away?

Did I skip an explanatory post accidentally? I realize ingesting a corrosive solvent can cause serious health issues, I just didn't seem to find when/how it resolved? Thanks for any guidance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi! I'm entirely new to this thread/case. Tapatalk went goofy and as I was trying to get to the menu this opened...and so I started to read.

I've read much of the thread but an answer I can't seem to find is - why did dad initially claim son was incredibly sick/pneumonia/on deaths door, in the beginning...and then that kinda just went away?

Did I skip an explanatory post accidentally? I realize ingesting a corrosive solvent can cause serious health issues, I just didn't seem to find when/how it resolved? Thanks for any guidance!

Nope you didn't skip anything. I think the decision not to discuss was to preserve the assumption this kid is mentally unstable and trying to drink caustic liquids would show conscious thoughts thereby ruining his chances of an insanity defense. j.m.o. Of course.

Nope you didn't skip anything. I think the decision not to discuss was to preserve the assumption this kid is mentally unstable and trying to drink caustic liquids would show conscious thoughts thereby ruining his chances of an insanity defense. j.m.o. Of course.

Thank you very much. I think you line of rationale makes perfect sense.

Watching the dr Phil interview now. I'm sure he's been on medication but he is very stable and well spoken imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member