Resolved FL - Port St Joe, 2 Children 96UMFL & 66UFFL, bound & gagged in photo, Jun'89

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If her arms are too far apart, maybe she's just handcuffed - some have longer links than others. Or it could be a chain or padlock.
The book, I'd say along the same lines as having her legs shaved. If they've had her a long time and she 'pleased' them, they could have brought it. Or maybe they brought it (if she was being exchanged) as a welcoming gift. Or maybe they asked her when her birthday was and got it for her or something.
I think it's a van, definitely. The pillows and stuff could be because it was a long drive and a couple of kids accidentally banging themselves could get superiors 'angry' that they arrived bruised or dirty or simply because they were concerned the kids may get hurt.
I think it's real. The boy looks just too frightened.
Coincidentally, the kid's upper face reminds me of a boy I once knew. I know it;s not him, because he was born after the photograph was taken, but it's just weird. Maybe that's why they're having trouble placing him.
In my opinion, I think it's David Borer http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/722859/1, Paul Baker http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/600583/1 or Charles or William Vosseler http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/601933/2.

The information from other similar photos in montecito come from her doe network page
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/66uffl.html

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

I just find the link tenuous. A cowlick and a "similar" pillow print for the Montecito photo, and no correlation given at all for the Amtrak photo. Just in this thread alone people have been able to find missing women with similarities as strong, or stronger, to the original photo. Doe Network has not released the photos, or where they got them, and since they are not law enforcement I am a little dubious of their evidence source. I can't see the squirt gun they refer to in this photo either. I do see what looks like another piece of folded up tape in front of the boy, and possibly a blue sketch book or blue container lid behind the girl.It could be the back of a van, but I haven't see a van that has an inbuilt shelf (upon which the blue thing is resting and pillows are propped up against). That would indicate something more like a caravan to me.
The boys eye aren't close or focused enough for me to read an expression in them. I've often being accused of looking grumpy or annoyed, when I've been nothing of the sort. It's my version of a "resting b!tch face" I guess.
I don't doubt there are real sickos out there, ones who would buy their victims books and shave their legs and tie their hair up and give them clean clothes and not leave any visible marks on them, especially if they are hoping to traffic them. But I feel like it's such a risky proposition to then transport the victims around the country in the back of a van/caravan, taking polaroids of them.They don't seem like the sort of criminal masterminds that would plant a book as a secret clue as to the victims identity, then carefully leave it in a.. parking lot. Why would the FBI decline to investigate a case, given their all their resources and the age of the victims, unless they thought it wasn't genuine? Admittedly I don't know much about how they operate, so I might be talking out of my hat, but I thought this was kinda what they do for a living.

If her arms are too far apart, maybe she's just handcuffed - some have longer links than others. Or it could be a chain or padlock.
The book, I'd say along the same lines as having her legs shaved. If they've had her a long time and she 'pleased' them, they could have brought it. Or maybe they brought it (if she was being exchanged) as a welcoming gift. Or maybe they asked her when her birthday was and got it for her or something.
I think it's a van, definitely. The pillows and stuff could be because it was a long drive and a couple of kids accidentally banging themselves could get superiors 'angry' that they arrived bruised or dirty or simply because they were concerned the kids may get hurt.
I think it's real. The boy looks just too frightened.
Coincidentally, the kid's upper face reminds me of a boy I once knew. I know it;s not him, because he was born after the photograph was taken, but it's just weird. Maybe that's why they're having trouble placing him.
In my opinion, I think it's David Borer http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/722859/1, Paul Baker http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/600583/1 or Charles or William Vosseler http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/601933/2.

Strong resemblance with David Borer. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the photograph fell out the back or got mixed up with some other stuff. What scares me is that, if the kidnappers found out the photo went public, what happened to the children?

I have followed this case for a really long time and I'm now wondering if the boy is actually a girl with her hair pulled back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have followed this case for a really long time and I'm now wondering if the boy is actually a girl with her hair pulled back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I too have followed this case from when it first originally aired on unsolved mysteries. I have long thought that they younger child was a girl with her hair pulled in a tight pony tail. I have never thought this was a hoax. I no some say kids fooling around, but what kids find this amusing? It does not look or feel like play to me. As to the book, I was a teenager back then and V.C. Andrews and her awful books were all the rage. We all read them, including me. I don't think you can say the book has anything to do with Tara Callico.

[bbm] All information at that link was sourced from the police, AMW, or MSM. DOE network's objective is imply to gather & present the available information in one place - not to make 'correlations' or concoct theories.

I think the polaroid was mistakenly dropped - either out of the perp's pocket or fell out of the van when they opened the door to go into the store (if it was planted, the perp took a HUGE risk if done during business hours).

Where does it say the FBI refused to investigate? I googled and the only thing that came up is a link to your post here.

I just find the link tenuous. A cowlick and a "similar" pillow print for the Montecito photo, and no correlation given at all for the Amtrak photo. Just in this thread alone people have been able to find missing women with similarities as strong, or stronger, to the original photo. Doe Network has not released the photos, or where they got them, and since they are not law enforcement I am a little dubious of their evidence source. I can't see the squirt gun they refer to in this photo either. I do see what looks like another piece of folded up tape in front of the boy, and possibly a blue sketch book or blue container lid behind the girl.It could be the back of a van, but I haven't see a van that has an inbuilt shelf (upon which the blue thing is resting and pillows are propped up against). That would indicate something more like a caravan to me.
The boys eye aren't close or focused enough for me to read an expression in them. I've often being accused of looking grumpy or annoyed, when I've been nothing of the sort. It's my version of a "resting b!tch face" I guess.
I don't doubt there are real sickos out there, ones who would buy their victims books and shave their legs and tie their hair up and give them clean clothes and not leave any visible marks on them, especially if they are hoping to traffic them. But I feel like it's such a risky proposition to then transport the victims around the country in the back of a van/caravan, taking polaroids of them.They don't seem like the sort of criminal masterminds that would plant a book as a secret clue as to the victims identity, then carefully leave it in a.. parking lot. Why would the FBI decline to investigate a case, given their all their resources and the age of the victims, unless they thought it wasn't genuine? Admittedly I don't know much about how they operate, so I might be talking out of my hat, but I thought this was kinda what they do for a living.

I think the polaroid victim is wearing black shorts.

Maria Medina went missing from Los Angeles March of 1989...She was allegedly wearing a grey sweater with a black stripe and a black skirt..The girl in the photo is wearing a black skirt and a grey tshirt that could be mistaken for having a black stripe...
mp_medina_maria.jpg

Classito

I think the polaroid victim is wearing black shorts.

Can't say for sure if it is a skirt...But the material goes all the way across at the bottom in the back...without seeing the material wrap around the leg I believe it to be a skirt...

Classito

Have not read the whole thread, so possibly suggested before, but any chance these pics are from a movie or tv show that was never picked up and released? Polaroid shots taken for production continuity, left behind for publicity?

Sadly, the above scenario is wishful thinking, who are these children and where are they now?!

it's a good question it's over 25 years since that photo was taken they would be adults now they both are still alive but I can not see someone keeping them for that length of time

Right now I can't find the boy's Doe Network page, but here is the girl's:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/66uffl.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 66UFFL

Colour photo here:
bound.jpg

Unidentified Female Last seen on June 15, 1989 in Port St. Joe, Gulf County, Florida.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 15 - 16 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair and blue eyes.

Case History
On June 15, 1989, a Polaroid photo of this girl bound and gagged was found in a Port St. Joe, FL convenience store parking lot by a customer. The photo also showed an unidentified boy, also bound. The photo was found where a white, late 1980's Toyota cargo van with no windows had previously been parked. This unidentified teenage girl was also seen on the beach in Port St. Joe, Florida on June 15, 1989. She was accompanied by several older caucasian males, who appeared to be ordering the girl along the beachfront. It is not known if this girl was being held against her will by these individuals or if the incident was staged. Investigators are still trying to ascertain the girl's identity, which would allow them to close the case or investigate further.

A tattered copy of "My Sweet Audrina" by V.C. Andrews, a lastic cup and a squirt gun are also visible in the photo. Polaroid officials say the picture was taken with film not available until May 1989. Two other photos have surfaced over the years. The first was found near a residential construction site in Montecito, California. The haunting Polaroid, taken on film not available until June 1989, shows the blurry image of a girl's face, her mouth again covered with tape, her hairline exhibiting that same cowlick at the right temple. Behind her is light-blue striped fabric similar to that on the pillow in the Toyota van photo. Another Polaroid, this one taken on film not available until February 1990, shows a woman loosely bound in gauze, her eyes covered with more gauze and large black-framed glasses. A man is sitting next to her on a passenger seat of an Amtrak train.

There have been speculations that the girl in this case file is Tara Calico who disappeared from New Mexico in 1988.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this girl's identity, please contact:
Port St. Joe Police Department
850-229-8265
You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

--------

From http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/calico.html

"A copy of the V. C. Andrews novel My Sweet Audrina, a plastic cup, and a squirt gun are also visible in the photo. There is apparently a phone number written on the spine of the book, but some of the digits are unreadable. Experts say it could be 300 possible numbers, 57 of which are valid."

"The Federal Bureau Of Investigation (FBI) examined the photo and cannot determine whether the girl is Calico or the boy Henley, but experts at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in Arizona believes the girl is Calico. The girl has a similar hairline and ear to Calico's, and a mark on her calf similar to a scar Calico got in a car crash."

Bumping this photo in the hopes that somebody out there somewhere, either recognizes themselves, or someone they know.

Has the other photo which turned up in 1990 ever been released, and if not, why not?
rbbm.

Good question it makes you think why no other ones have been released

makes you wounder was this a high profile child sex trafficking taking place at the time

This case has always fascinated me. Ever since I saw it on Unsolved Mysteries as a child. The pictures could have been taken as a joke, but that would of been one sick joke and wouldn't someone have recognized the children by now. Its been years and I could be mistaken, but wasn't that book one of Tara's favorites? But, if it wasn't Tara in the pic, why have the book there?It just seems odd!

He could have just been a bonus they seen him on his own one day and just had the opportunity to snatch him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foothillbilly