Resolved FL - Port St Joe, 2 Children 96UMFL & 66UFFL, bound & gagged in photo, Jun'89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is this picture?

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

Right now I can't find the boy's Doe Network page, but here is the girl's:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/66uffl.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 66UFFL

Colour photo here:
bound.jpg

Unidentified Female Last seen on June 15, 1989 in Port St. Joe, Gulf County, Florida.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 15 - 16 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair and blue eyes.

Case History
On June 15, 1989, a Polaroid photo of this girl bound and gagged was found in a Port St. Joe, FL convenience store parking lot by a customer. The photo also showed an unidentified boy, also bound. The photo was found where a white, late 1980's Toyota cargo van with no windows had previously been parked. This unidentified teenage girl was also seen on the beach in Port St. Joe, Florida on June 15, 1989. She was accompanied by several older caucasian males, who appeared to be ordering the girl along the beachfront. It is not known if this girl was being held against her will by these individuals or if the incident was staged. Investigators are still trying to ascertain the girl's identity, which would allow them to close the case or investigate further.

A tattered copy of "My Sweet Audrina" by V.C. Andrews, a lastic cup and a squirt gun are also visible in the photo. Polaroid officials say the picture was taken with film not available until May 1989. Two other photos have surfaced over the years. The first was found near a residential construction site in Montecito, California. The haunting Polaroid, taken on film not available until June 1989, shows the blurry image of a girl's face, her mouth again covered with tape, her hairline exhibiting that same cowlick at the right temple. Behind her is light-blue striped fabric similar to that on the pillow in the Toyota van photo. Another Polaroid, this one taken on film not available until February 1990, shows a woman loosely bound in gauze, her eyes covered with more gauze and large black-framed glasses. A man is sitting next to her on a passenger seat of an Amtrak train.

There have been speculations that the girl in this case file is Tara Calico who disappeared from New Mexico in 1988.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this girl's identity, please contact:
Port St. Joe Police Department
850-229-8265
You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

--------

From http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/calico.html

"A copy of the V. C. Andrews novel My Sweet Audrina, a plastic cup, and a squirt gun are also visible in the photo. There is apparently a phone number written on the spine of the book, but some of the digits are unreadable. Experts say it could be 300 possible numbers, 57 of which are valid."

"The Federal Bureau Of Investigation (FBI) examined the photo and cannot determine whether the girl is Calico or the boy Henley, but experts at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in Arizona believes the girl is Calico. The girl has a similar hairline and ear to Calico's, and a mark on her calf similar to a scar Calico got in a car crash."

Bumping post with all the details and pic.

Same nose, same eyes, same hair

They are probably brother and sister

I think they were just messing around.

I don't think it's someone messing around at all. The kids look tired, the girl has unkept hair, the bed is messy. They both look a little sweaty or like it's humid in there. I think if they were messing around there would at least be a glint in their eye. A hidden smile...something. The boy looks distressed in his brow.

I still don't Know if this is a sex trafficking thing, but it's not innocent.

I don't think it's someone messing around at all. The kids look tired, the girl has unkept hair, the bed is messy. They both look a little sweaty or like it's humid in there. I think if they were messing around there would at least be a glint in their eye. A hidden smile...something. The boy looks distressed in his brow.

I still don't Know if this is a sex trafficking thing, but it's not innocent.

Looks like they've been on a long road trip? And it's quite humid in PSJ in June, so it would be normal to be sweating at all hours of the day then.

Same nose, same eyes, same hair

They are probably brother and sister

I think they were just messing around.

But wasn't this pic widely publicized back then. If they were just fooling around, wouldn't they or their parents come forward? This is the reason that I always lean towards this pic being real!

But wasn't this pic widely publicized back then. If they were just fooling around, wouldn't they or their parents come forward? This is the reason that I always lean towards this pic being real!

Well, it is possible that this was a family that was on vacation in the United States. Maybe they left before the picture was widely publicized, and they never knew about it.

Wow. Just came across these photos and the Tara Calico case a couple days ago when I was just looking around on youtube. To be honest I've looked at the info regarding the Calico case and the photos of her and the two individuals with tape over their mouths and I honestly don't believe they are connected in anyway. The girl in the gray shirt looks a bit younger than Tara and many of her other facial features seem different as well. I understand Tara's mom wanting to make a connection because it would mean her daughter was potentially still alive somewhere out there. However given the fact that the photo was found clear on the other side of the country from where Tara was last seen and the strongest reasoning for a connection is that it had one of her favorite books in the photo its a little hard to feel that that connection is realistic (I realize she said she also saw a scar but I looked at the photo over and over again and didn't really see any scar on the girls leg and it really just looked like a camera blemish).

However for me (and this is where my post is going to get long) the truly haunting part of this whole deal is are those photos real or are they a prank or a joke. Likely the biggest argument against it being a prank at this point (25+ years after the photo was taken) was that if it wasn't real why has none of the people involved come forward and put to rest all the theories about those photos?

Well I can think of a few reasons. For starters we need to remember that this photo was taken in a completely different world (in terms of technology that we take for granted now) than where we live now. There were no cell phones, no internet, no 24 hour news stations (generally when you did watch the news it was only your local news stories) it wouldn't be difficult at all for the parties involved to never hear about it. Also we need to remember when and likely where these photos were taken. They were taken during the summer likely around the Florida area. Florida is a huge tourism area during the summer months. Given the fact that the girl was wearing a shirt that supposedly had Disney characters on it that could give all the more credense to it being a group of tourists on vacation. If they were just tourists going to Disney World (and other areas of Florida) they would have likely been out of the area by the time the photo hit the news satations around Florida. And if they lived out of the country (though I am not sure how prevalent it was to bring young kids with you on international trips back in 1989) they definitely would have never heard about it.

Now that is all fine and well but that still raises the question why nobody would have come forward sometime in the past ten or fifteen years since the internet has taken off? Well we need to remember that the kids in question would be much much older now (the girl would be in her forties likely now and the boy would be in his mid to late thirties most likely). They may simply not want to deal with it and get all kinds of publicity over something they did when they were fifteen. Also we would need to remember despite all the easy access we have to information now there still would be a very strong possibility that they still wouldn't even know that that photo was out there and connected to a missing persons case. Unless you have heard the name Tara Calico and took the time to look up information about her you likely still would never ever see that photo. So those are just a few reasons why they wouldn't come forward if it was a prank and there are probably more reasons than that.

Now let's get into the details of the photo. If there is a bright side to seeing kids with tape over their mouths and supposedly bound it is the fact that the two people looked like they were being fed and properly nourished. Their clothes were clean and they didn't have any bruises that we could see on them. It's hard to tell generally what was going through the kids minds at the time the photo was taken since we can't see their facial expressions but in regards to the girl she definitely doesn't look overly frightended or scared (I saw some comments that the boy looks like he could practically be smiling underneath that tape). Also we are pretty much only assuming they even were tied up. The girl does kind of look like she is just sitting on her hands. If her hands truly were tied up behind her her shoulders would likely be in a different position or she would be lying on her side. Her shoulders definitely are just lying flat on the ground and if she was bound her shoulders wouldn't be in that position I don't believe. The tape on their mouths does look pretty flimsy and seems like it could be taken off just by moving your facial muscles around a bit. I think stronger tape would be used than that if there truly was an intention to keep the kids from talking or yelling.

One thing though I am fairly certain of at this point though is that these were not two missing children. If these two kids were kidnapped somebody would have come forward by now saying they recognized them. I think if this wasn't a joke or a hoax what is going on here is amongst their own family members (or other people they personally knew).

Of course the only way the mystery of this photo will ever get solved is if the people who were involved in it come forward and that likely isn't going to happen at this point (and I definitely wouldn't blame them for choosing not to). It will just forever stay an Unsolved Mystery for people to try to disect like we are doing in this thread.

Anyways the photo is definitely a haunting image regardless of how legitimate it is. Not sure it is something I'll ever forget about.

Given the fact that the girl was wearing a shirt that supposedly had Disney characters on it that could give all the more credense to it being a group of tourists on vacation.

Someone figured out that the shirt was an Egghead Software Store shirt.

VintageManiac_56031322761497.jpg

Thanks. I'm wondering if the Egghead shirt could be any type of clue? Egghead was a computer software company and that would have been something fairly unique for the '80's. Chances are that girl would have been associated with someone who had connections with Egghead in order to get that shirt. And if that person worked with computer software they likely would have been privy to the upcoming internet boom. Wondering if the group of people were just setting up bondage type scenes to compile photos up to get subscribers to view them once the internet took off? Even though the two kids in that photo were underage it still wouldn't be against the law to take a photo like that since no nudity was in it would it?

Thanks. I'm wondering if the Egghead shirt could be any type of clue? Egghead was a computer software company and that would have been something fairly unique for the '80's. Chances are that girl would have been associated with someone who had connections with Egghead in order to get that shirt. And if that person worked with computer software they likely would have been privy to the upcoming internet boom. Wondering if the group of people were just setting up bondage type scenes to compile photos up to get subscribers to view them once the internet took off? Even though the two kids in that photo were underage it still wouldn't be against the law to take a photo like that since no nudity was in it would it?

Welcome to Ws sony12, thanks for the food ( in this case, eggs,) for thought!

I do not think Tara Calico is the Polaroid girl. I just don't really view them as being the same person. I'm not an expert, just my humble opinion.

While this photo does have an unsettling vibe, I'm not entirely convinced it's real, but why on earth would somebody fake something like this?

The lack of bruises really stands out to me. I could be biased of course, seeing as I bruise very easily, but this whole time, I've really thought it was quite confusing that the girl appeared to not have any bruises whatsoever. If she was really being abducted and treated roughly, I'd expect at least some kind of bruises. Then again, maybe the photo wasn't taken long enough to allow bruises to form, if that makes sense. Both kids look otherwise healthy and seemed to have been taken care of. If they were held captive for a long time, I'd expect them to look less healthy.

This makes me wonder: could the boy and girl have been lured, raped, and photographed, before being released, and they were too afraid to come forward?

This makes me wonder: could the boy and girl have been lured, raped, and photographed, before being released, and they were too afraid to come forward?

Hard to say exactly. However there really is no evidence of any type of rape that ocurred and the supposed 'abduction' theory of the children does look a bit suspect. There also were supposedly eye witnesses who claimed they saw the girl walking a long the beach the very same day this photograph was found. Now how valid those eye witneses were we really don't know but if she was infact being abducted and raped and held against her will I really don't think she would be allowed to walk along the beach in the middle of the day where people could see her Remember the case of the girls in Cleveland who were being held against their will and locked in a house any time they were allowed outside at all they had to have a bag over their head. And that was just to walk from the house to the garage. So if the witnesses of seeing her walk along the beach are to be believed I think that really paints a picture of a girl who was not being abducted and was freely going along with whatever was happening. That also would be another reason for why nobody was coming forward in regards to the picture. They wouldn't want people to know that they took part in bondage videos/photos when they were younger.

Does anybody know if there was/is much of a market for those types of photos that we see where it technically isn't *advertiser censored* because no sex or nudity is happening but it is simply photos of people being bound and gagged and people could make money off of it just like they could with actual *advertiser censored*?

Nah. Egghead Software was very big in the '80s after the home PC market took off. McDonald's big. They sold more Microsoft products than anyone else. My Windows 3.1 copy was purchased there. My father used to take me to Egghead Software frequently. I even had a few Egghead Software shirts as a kid. I think I bought it from there or was given, I don't remember. I think my father still has his Egghead Software coffee mug. I recall a story about a coupon ad for a new Egghead Software retail store that you got a free floppy disk for showing up. They advertised so much and it paid off. IIRC their retail business crumbled when the internet became a thing.

Nah. Egghead Software was very big in the '80s after the home PC market took off. McDonald's big. They sold more Microsoft products than anyone else. My Windows 3.1 copy was purchased there. My father used to take me to Egghead Software frequently. I even had a few Egghead Software shirts as a kid. I think I bought it from there or was given, I don't remember. I think my father still has his Egghead Software coffee mug. I recall a story about a coupon ad for a new Egghead Software retail store that you got a free floppy disk for showing up. They advertised so much and it paid off. IIRC their retail business crumbled when the internet became a thing.

Oh ok. So Egghead was just a retail store that you could buy computer software at (similar to Radio Shack)? I was under the impression that it may have been a company that built software. Yeah if it was just a place similar to Radio Shack her wearing that shirt wouldn't mean anything as she could have just gone in shopping at one and got the shirt.

In anycase the tape used in the photo is very clearly just bondage tape. If you do a google image search for bondage tape you'll see that it looks just like that.

Yeah and when I say 'just bondage tape' I'm referring that if they are using that then there is a good chance that it was just a scene that they set up for the camera and not a serious picture of a captivity. Bondage tape would generally just be something couples would use if they want to have a little bdsm action. Definitely not my cup of tea but some people enjoy doing stuff like that. In anycase if these two kids were truly being held captive and it was a legit picture they would be using something different than bondage stuff in my opinion. After all stuff like bondage tape is made to live out a little fantasy without actually hurting anybody. It wouldn't add up for someone to take someone else captive and then see to it that you made sure you put tape on them that wasn't going to hurt them.

I have always thought that if this was a real kidnapping, and they were really trying to gag them to keep them quiet, they wouldn't have cared if the tape got in their hair. They would have wrapped the tape all the way around her head (and the boy's head). It looks like they were careful to keep their hair from getting stuck in the tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop