GUILTY FL - Sade Dixon, 24, & Sgt. Debra Clayton, 42, slain, Orlando, Dec 2016 & Jan 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
he is palpably mentally ill, don't understand why DP is still on the table,

How is he palpably mentally ill? TIA @joejones

As is typical, the experts who testified during trial have differing opinions regarding mental illness and sanity.

Jurors hear testimony about Markeith Loyd’s sanity during killing of OPD Lt. Debra Clayton
11/01/2021
[...]
Defense attorneys for Loyd, who has pleaded not guilty, argue he was insane when he shot Clayton, having become convinced the police wanted to kill him. A clinical psychologist testifying on behalf of the defense told jurors Loyd knew what he was doing but did not know that it was wrong.

But two state experts told jurors Monday, during the prosecution’s rebuttal case, that Loyd was not insane at the time of Clayton’s killing.

“My opinion is that there’s no evidence that he suffered from a serious mental illness at any point during that two-year time frame,” said Michael Gamache, a forensic psychologist.

Tonia Werner, a psychiatrist, said she diagnosed Loyd with antisocial personality disorder — a mental condition that is excluded from the insanity defense under Florida law.

“My opinion is that he was sane at the time of the crime,” Werner said.

Michael Maher, a psychiatrist who previously testified for the defense, told jurors that Loyd suffered from several mental illnesses, including a psychotic condition related to his delusions. He testified that Loyd was legally sane at the time of the Dixon shooting but did not have a conclusion in regards to Clayton’s killing.
[...]

Jury to decide whether Markeith Loyd gets life or death sentence
Jury to decide whether Markeith Loyd gets life or death sentence
November 4, 2021
The trial now moves into the penalty phase starting Saturday. The jury will have to decide if Loyd should live or die. They will return on Saturday to start that process, but all 12 jurors must agree on the death penalty, otherwise he will get life in prison.

For the first time ever, Lt. Clayton's sister talked about the case. She said Clayton was a mother and wife who cared about her community.
[...]
"I'm a bit relieved but it’s not over yet. My sister definitely deserves justice in the right way. I know once she gets justice in the right way, she will rest peacefully," Clayton's sister told the media outside the courthouse.

When asked if she wanted the death penalty for Loyd, she said "I want the death penalty."

If the jury is unanimous on the death sentence, then the judge must sign off on that.
[...]

Court gives jury orders as penalty phase of Markeith Loyd trial delayed
Court gives jury orders as penalty phase of Markeith Loyd trial delayed
Decision comes after judge allowed defense to discuss use of force by law enforcement during Loyd’s 2017 arrest

November 6, 2021
ORLANDO, Fla. – The jury returned to court Saturday where they were given rules to follow while they are awaiting the penalty phase of Markeith Loyd’s trial to pick back up later this month.

A judge ruled Friday to delay the penalty phase of Markeith Loyd’s trial following his conviction Wednesday for the murder of Orlando police Lt. Debra Clayton.

The penalty phase was originally scheduled to begin Saturday morning, with both sides presenting evidence ahead of the jury recommending whether or not Loyd should face the death penalty. The penalty phase is now pushed back until Nov. 29.

News 6 legal analyst Steven Kramer said the discussion of use of force by law enforcement is “the tell right there.”

“The defense wouldn’t introduce a use of force argument if they didn’t believe it might save the life of Markeith Loyd,” Kramer said.

Prosecutors objected to the inclusion of the use of force, something the judge had omitted from the court proceedings prior to this ruling. This includes video from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office’s helicopter which shows the arrest.
[...]

https://twitter.com/AmandaNews6/status/1456970767187521540
Amanda Castro
@AmandaNews6

LOYD TRIAL: Judge asked jurors if they have any conflicts with pushing back penalty phase. Only 2 jurors had conflicts, one was a seated juror & the other was an alternate. Judge set penalty phase to start on November 29
@news6wkmg
9:04 AM · Nov 6, 2021 from Orlando, FL·Twitter for iPhone

Nov 5, 2021:
Nadeen Yanes

@NadeenNews6
22h
LOYD TRIAL: Judge: "I'll bring in the jurors tomorrow morning, I am going to inform jurors there have been some developments. They can't go to penalty phase right now. Send them from sequestration on 5 million things on what they can or can't do." @news6wkmg

Nadeen Yanes
@NadeenNews6

22h
LOYD TRIAL: State said they are going to need more time - not just a week. But continuing the penalty phase until December... @news6wkmg

Nadeen Yanes
@NadeenNews6

22h
LOYD TRIAL: Judge is asking state now: Do you want to continue until tomorrow or release jurors from sequestrations and push back penalty phase until next week or two for state to be prepared to talk about Use of Force? State is discussing. @news6wkmg

Nadeen Yanes
@NadeenNews6

22h
LOYD TRIAL: Breaking: The Judge WILL allow Use of Force argument and how Loyd lost his eye come into penalty phase including helicopter video of Loyd's arrest. Important to note @fdlepio did clear the officers of any wrong doing. @news6wkmg

Nadeen Yanes
@NadeenNews6

22h
LOYD TRIAL: Prosecutor Ryan Williams: "We would have asked.. hand to God what they think of use of force and that matters and we didn't have opportunity to do that." @news6wkmg

Nadeen Yanes
@NadeenNews6

22h
LOYD TRIAL: State is totally against it. Prosecutor Ryan Williams said they aren't prepared to discuss Use of Force by tomorrow morning because Judge omitted it until now..."We do not believe we would get a fair shot if this is thrown on us. This is starting tomorrow morning."

Nadeen Yanes
@NadeenNews6

22h
LOYD TRIAL: "They are judging the person sitting in the courtroom today -not just the person who committed the crime but the person he is now," Judge Marques added. Asking state what they think about bringing in that Use of Force @news6wkmg

Nadeen Yanes
@NadeenNews6

22h
LOYD TRIAL: This has been kept out of both trials -- now it looks like Judge might be thinking about allowing this argument in for penalty phase: "Mr. Loyd testified on stand and many of his statements concern loss of his eye," Judge Marques said. (1/2) @news6wkmg

Nadeen Yanes
@NadeenNews6

22h
LOYD TRIAL: So, it looks like defense wants to bring in the injuries Loyd endured when he got arrested: "It is important to consider the injuries he suffered, how he suffered them and include showing the helicopter footage you can see the beating Mr. Loyd." @news6wkmg

ALERT - Graphic Photo!
PENALTY PHASE to start on November 29

https://twitter.com/AmandaNews6/status/1456970767187521540

Amanda Castro
@AmandaNews6

LOYD TRIAL: Judge asked jurors if they have any conflicts with pushing back penalty phase. Only 2 jurors had conflicts, one was a seated juror & the other was an alternate. Judge set penalty phase to start on November 29 @news6wkmg
9:04 AM · Nov 6, 2021 from Orlando, FL·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/cathyrusson/status/1456754255591723010

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson

#MarkeithLoyd - Penalty phase was set to begin tomorrow DELAYED to Dec. 6. Judge ruled Loyd can tell the jury in the penalty phase that he lost his eye during arrest and see the Sheriff's chopper footage. She says she knows this was a "bomb" she dropped on the State.

6:44 PM · Nov 5, 2021·Twitter Web App

he was admitted to mental health facility as a teen, he has been diagnosed with mental illnesses, and watching him testify also adds to my opinion he is mentally ill

As a family with a member with mental health problems, it takes a toll on you. Going on about 15 years or more now. I saw ML as an uneducated child/adult due to negligence during childhood. But watching him he does have some mental illness but IANAD (I am not a doctor).

You would think the arrest of ML that we all watched live and saw some damage to his face when he arrived at the jail which showed blood on his face and later learned was his eye was completely damaged, would be a separate civil charge from the killing of two women, one pregnant and one a police officer. I guess not.

Last edited:
I should correct myself. I didn't see the damage to his face at all, until he was at the jail. Just saw the video and could see a lot.

LIVE NOW:
WFTV Breaking News

Happening this morning: Markeith Loyd sentencing trial begins

Markeith Loyd sentencing trial begins
November 29, 2021
Convicted police-officer killer Markeith Loyd will return to the courtroom for the start of his sentencing trial on Monday morning.
[...]
Now, jurors will decide whether he spends his life in prison or goes to death row.
[...]
The judge will allow the jurors to see Loyd crawling out of the home he was hiding in and when he gave himself up in 2017.
Loyd’s lawyer will also talk about how Loyd lost his eye that day when he was kicked in the face and hit with a rifle, causing him emotional scars.
[...]
The state attorney’s investigation said that officer did kick Loyd in the left side of his face, but said the use of force was justified because police believed Loyd was armed.
[...]

Markeith Loyd trial: Prosecutor tells jurors death is ‘proper punishment’ for Lt. Debra Clayton’s killer
Markeith Loyd trial: Prosecutor tells jurors death is ‘proper punishment’ for Lt. Debra Clayton’s killer
NOV 29, 2021
[...]
The 12-person jury must unanimously decide Loyd, 46, should face execution before a judge can sentence him to death.
[...]
After a nine-day manhunt following Clayton’s death, Loyd was arrested after crawling out of an abandoned house in Carver Shores. Four OPD officers punched, kicked and hit Loyd with their rifle muzzles in a beating that caused him to lose an eye — and were eventually cleared of criminal wrongdoing and exonerated of using excessive force.

The judge had previously banned Loyd’s attorneys from presenting such evidence. She said she changed her mind after Loyd testified about his fear of police and belief they kill Black people without consequence.
[...]
Jurors will return Tuesday morning to hear more witness testimony.

State rests case in penalty phase of Markeith Loyd murder trial
State rests case in penalty phase of Markeith Loyd murder trial
November 30, 2021
[...]
Tuesday’s proceedings began with the state calling a probation officer who supervised Loyd while he was under supervision for felony offenses.
[...]

TIMELINE: Penalty phase of Markeith Loyd’s murder trial continues for 2nd day

TIMELINE: Penalty phase of Markeith Loyd’s murder trial continues for 2nd day
November 30, 2021
[...]

5:35 p.m. update
Court wrapped for the second day of the penalty phase of Markeith Loyd’s murder trial.

Loyd’s friends and brother were the last to testify Tuesday evening. They both said they loved Loyd and would visit him if he was in prison.

4:15 p.m. update
The defense calls Tyrian Wesley, a high school classmate of Loyd, to the stand.

3:50 p.m. update
The defense calls Markeith Loyd’s brother, Barry Jacobs, to the stand.

3:20 p.m. update
The defense is expected to call 20 witnesses this week, and the state has two rebuttal witnesses to call before the penalty phase is over.

1:35 p.m. update
The state has rested its case in the penalty phase of the trial. The defense is now calling witnesses to the stand. Their first witness is Brian Savelli with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.
[...]

Markeith Loyd sentencing enters 3rd day as he faces death penalty
Markeith Loyd's sister describes family abuse in third day of sentencing
Dec 1, 2021
Testimony continued for a third day in the sentencing of Markeith Loyd.

The defense tried to give the jury a glimpse into the life of Markeith Loyd on the third day of his sentencing trial.

"My mother would use her fists, use belts, use switches. She would use extension cords," Tonya Loyd, Markeith’s sister, said.
[...]

Markeith Loyd’s family testifies about rough childhood as jury weighs death penalty for Orlando cop’s killer
Markeith Loyd’s family testifies about rough childhood as jury weighs death penalty for Orlando cop’s killer
DEC 01, 2021
[...]
But Loyd’s attorney told jurors they must also weigh the mitigating circumstances in Loyd’s life, including a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder and delusional disorder that affected his mental health during the killing.

Geoffrey Colino, a forensic neurologist, told jurors he found Loyd’s brain had scarring, likely due to physical trauma, and that during the exam, Loyd displayed delusional thinking and paranoia. He said he diagnosed Loyd as having organic psychosis and executive dysfunction syndrome.

“I believe he is unable to conform his behavior to the requirements of law,” Colino said. “The analogy would be his perceptions are distorted through multiple lenses like a funhouse mirror and he’s going through life with a broken bicycle brake unable to check those distorted perceptions of the world.”
[...]

Markeith Loyd’s family, friends take the stand to argue against death penalty
Markeith Loyd’s family, friends take the stand to argue against death penalty
December 1, 2021
[...]
The defense first called on Peter Cadiz, a detective with the Orlando Police Department who led the investigation of Clayton’s killing. The defense asked Cadiz to describe the injuries Loyd sustained while being arrested.

“Superficial injuries…swollen lip…injury under his right eye,” Cadiz said.

Attorney Terry Lenamon asked Cadiz if Loyd’s eye was missing during his arrest.

“I didn’t see an eye missing,” Cadiz said.

The defense questioned Emma Watford, who said she’s known Loyd since the ‘90s because her sons were friends with him and they went to school together.

Watford described an incident in 1993 in which Loyd and one of her sons were badly beaten.

“Markeith’s face looked like he had been beat with a gun,” Watford said. “He reminded me of elephant man, he was beat just that hard.

Following the incident, Watford said that Loyd’s whole demeanor changed, becoming more withdrawn.
[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back