FL - Sarah Boone, 42, charged with murdering boyfriend Jorge Torres, 42, by leaving him locked in suitcase, Winter Park, Feb 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have never heard of this.

This attorney is "off his rocker" if he thinks that his paying for all this out of his own pocket is not Pro Bono.

Travel
Hotel
Jail visits
Court hearings
Trial
Paying a team to help him
Collect calls
His working hours on the case
Supplies
Experts
Possible psych evaluation
miscellaneous

Ludicrous.

2 Cents

Speaking of travel and hotel... Attorney Owens is from Milton, Florida. Orange County Courthouse is in Orlando, Florida. Those two cities are 431 miles apart with a drive time of about 6 1/2 hours.

In a discussion with the judge during today's hearing about logistics for Owens to obtain a copy of the digital evidence on a thumb drive, Owens said he had some time today to pick it up but had to catch his flight back later this evening. Who is funding his FLIGHTS to see Sarah?

Just my speculation from his statements outside the courthouse and tonight on Closing Arguments w/Vinnie Politan, I believe he is fronting the money and SB is going to pay him back. Not sure how, exactly, but that seems to be what he is saying.

I believe when SB was representing herself the court set aside $10k for experts so would assume they are counting on that, too (?)

The definition is broader than that. It is battered spouse, battered wife, battered partner, intimate partner violence, domestic violence.
Torres and Boone have a domestic violence history that is documented in police reports and could be presented as evidence to support a battered partner claim. People who may have seen and/or were told about the violence could possibly be subpoenaed.

2 Cents

Thanks! I didn’t realize the range. He’s the one who she let die in a suitcase and that’s a special kind of violence.

Speaking of travel and hotel... Attorney Owens is from Milton, Florida. Orange County Courthouse is in Orlando, Florida. Those two cities are 431 miles apart with a drive time of about 6 1/2 hours.

In a discussion with the judge during today's hearing about logistics for Owens to obtain a copy of the digital evidence on a thumb drive, Owens said he had some time today to pick it up but had to catch his flight back later this evening. Who is funding his FLIGHTS to see Sarah?
Owens is self funding his efforts-- from the hearing transcript:

you
52:30
undertook this assignment you undertook this assignment knowing that you were not being appointed and that by your own
52:36
representation you're doing this free of charge on a pro bono basis and not seeking recompensation for any lodging
52:41
or travel you knew what the um uh deadlines were for the court with regard
52:48
to any of the experts there have been multiple prior experts in this case you already identified Dr Julie Harper AER
^^rsbm

Judge Kraynick refused to continue the trial, noting that the case had already been pending for four years, six months and four days. He admonished that Owens was fully aware of the trial dates and deadlines when he stepped into the case, and said that Boone “only has herself to blame” for her previous attorneys’ withdrawals.

Speaking outside of court after the hearing, Owens said that he had unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate a plea deal for Boone, but will move forward with the case despite being unable to secure a continuance. “I’m going to have to have some help,” Owens acknowledged. “I’m trying to assemble a team right now.” Owens also noted that he was not working pro bono on the case, telling the cameras, “Sarah owes me.”
_________
IMO Owens plan was to offer a plea for time served. It backfired. He’s stuck.

Not Sarah!

Someone named Mr Pro Bono .... LOL

I understand that's what he's saying but I wonder if someone else is helping support it, too. JMO!

I don't think he was eager to discourage SB's fans or crowd funding when he made comments following the hearing that SB "owes him."

Only their retainer agreement can clarify the terms of his services.

I think Owen has had a long, legal career and can afford to do this. SB may break him but it won't be financially. JMO

After listening to the attorney's interview on CourtTV tonight (linked above), I agree with you.

Yes, everyone please watch. It was quite informative. And me saying this as I have yet to watch any of SB's body cam footage or police interviews but will do before trial so they will be fresh in my mind!

Yes, everyone please watch. It was quite informative. And me saying this as I have yet to watch any of SB's body cam footage or police interviews but will do before trial so they will be fresh in my mind!

I'm so disappointed that the Prosecutor and SB couldn't come to acceptable terms to put the horrible death of Mr. Torres to rest.

I agree with Owens logic that the State and the Court were looking at a multi-week trial with a pro-se defendant, and this should have been a situation for serious settlement talks that would benefit all. The alternative of going to trial without representation would not be good for anybody -- including the victims family and trial watchers!

Much respect for Mr. Owens for his sacrifice in the name of Justice for all.

ETA: And speaking of JT's family-- his mother & father just lost another son (Farel Torres, 37) to incarceration where he's probably going to spend the remainder of his life behind bars after allegedly stabbing the mother of his child in May 2024.

I wonder how long it'll be before this new attorney steps off the case?
Maybe we should run a book? I'm going to give him two weeks before 'an ethical issue' arises or she makes some far out allegation against him, forcing him to step down.

We know she's on a rinse and repeat cycle of refusing to acknowledge or view the video evidence and some of the discovery. This lawyer is already saying some of the documents are missing but the prosecution are saying no, they've all been supplied on the laptop (plus she now has hardcopy). So, what gives already?

I wonder how long he’ll last too. If he does leave the case, then what? Can he be forced to stay? Probably not.

On another topic, I thought it was interesting that Owens really paused a long time and hedged quite a bit when Vinnie asked if he would put SB on the stand. I don’t think he wants to. He said something to the effect that she has a lot to say, based on her letters and filings. Ya think?!

Info gleaned from Court TV interview.

Owens saw SB's advert on Court TV which he watches via Youtube.
He didn't immediately act on it. He assumed another member of the Defence Bar in Orlando would pick it up. He waited three or four weeks. He had another case in Tampa that he had to come down for so he wrote SB a letter. A third party, 'girl from Minnesota' reached out on behalf of SB to see if Owens was legitimate. To check he wasn't 'catfishing' or some type of fraudster. After realising he was genuine, SB called him.

Owens spent approx four hours in person with SB at the Orange County Jail. During that time, he was in talks with the Prosecutor to let him know he was on the case and SB signed a document to say he could speak on her behalf.

There were attempts to try to resolve the case (between Owens and Prosecution), plea negotiations happened but they couldn't come to terms. This type of negotiation couldn't have happened whilst SB was pro se as the prosecution are not allowed to contact SB direct, it has to be done on the record in court.

Owens then met with the Private Investigator, Lane, and SB at the jail. They couldn't reach an agreement. Owens wasn't ready to represent SB at that point. He told the Prosecutor there was an impasse / no agreement, that he was not going to be representing SB and he went back home. He was done with the case after doing the best he could.

Two nights later, SB called Owens at his home. After thinking about what to do, Owens told SB he was still not committed to taking her case. Then, the third party, a 'really nice lady' called Owens again asking if he would go one more time.

Owens flew back down, met SB again a couple of times. Both meetings went well. There are trust issues on both sides after SB has already been through eight lawyers. Owens worries if SB is going to try and fire him or they're going to have problems but he and SB both like one another. They communicate well and are on the same page.

BBM: Does this sound like some sort of coercion / pressure on him ? JMO MOO

Info gleaned from Court TV interview.

Owens saw SB's advert on Court TV which he watches via Youtube.
He didn't immediately act on it. He assumed another member of the Defence Bar in Orlando would pick it up. He waited three or four weeks. He had another case in Tampa that he had to come down for so he wrote SB a letter. A third party, 'girl from Minnesota' reached out on behalf of SB to see if Owens was legitimate. To check he wasn't 'catfishing' or some type of fraudster. After realising he was genuine, SB called him.

Owens spent approx four hours in person with SB at the Orange County Jail. During that time, he was in talks with the Prosecutor to let him know he was on the case and SB signed a document to say he could speak on her behalf.

There were attempts to try to resolve the case (between Owens and Prosecution), plea negotiations happened but they couldn't come to terms. This type of negotiation couldn't have happened whilst SB was pro se as the prosecution are not allowed to contact SB direct, it has to be done on the record in court.

Owens then met with the Private Investigator, Lane, and SB at the jail. They couldn't reach an agreement. Owens wasn't ready to represent SB at that point. He told the Prosecutor there was an impasse / no agreement, that he was not going to be representing SB and he went back home. He was done with the case after doing the best he could.

Two nights later, SB called Owens at his home. After thinking about what to do, Owens told SB he was still not committed to taking her case. Then, the third party, a 'really nice lady' called Owens again asking if he would go one more time.

Owens flew back down, met SB again a couple of times. Both meetings went well. There are trust issues on both sides after SB has already been through eight lawyers. Owens worries if SB is going to try and fire him or they're going to have problems but he and SB both like one another. They communicate well and are on the same page.

BBM: Does this sound like some sort of coercion / pressure on him ? JMO MOO

I wonder if this really nice lady from Minnesota has deep pockets…

But seriously, props to Owens for trying.

Digging through the last ten pages, I can't find a motion that was rejected by the judge. Submitted by a third party on SB's defense. Just prior to her newest attorney signing on. Is this 3rd party the same 3rd party who seems to be match-making Owens to Boone?

I wish we could see the nature of the payment plan.

JMO

I wonder if this really nice lady from Minnesota has deep pockets…

But seriously, props to Owens for trying.

Reading between the lines of what he said, it seems to me that he is passionate about ensuring a person has the legal right to a defence in the situation of a murder charged. He did his best to negotiate a plea deal that couldn't be agreed (no doubt SB will not accept anything less than walking free and being compensated). So he came off the case, viewing it as hopeless - which IMO it is if the plea deal couldn't be agreed. He's very experienced, he knows what he's dealing with.

Having made that decision firmly and with the wisdom of all his experience, he came off the case. SB called him and he was resolute that he had gone as far as he could. Then the 'girl' / 'lovely lady' from Minnesota rang him at home and now he's gone back on the case and is thrashing around desperately. He's clearly very anxious and not composed, he over explains everything in ludicrous detail and uses a lot of emotive and coercive commentary. Is he under threat? He mentions his wife, daughter, friends, colleagues, company, etc as if to send out the message that he's not alone.

Also IMO he's trying to deflect / bounce this firmly into the court of the forensic psychoanalyst who hasn't even agreed to perform the task. So when it fails, which IMO it absolutely will, he's got layers of explanation - the refusal to extend time and the fact he couldn't secure necessary evidence in time. He seems like a troubled man to me. JMO MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back