FL - Shannon Dedrick, 7 mo., Chipley, 31 Oct 2009 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know why CPS was making routine visits? Was it because of the mental disabilities?

the time from 3am til sometime before 8am is when Shannon supposedly disappeared so 5 hours before anyone noticed now comes the part so hard to face between 8am and 11am three long hours they know shes gone and no one reported it :furious: until 11:23 maybe you wait 3 hours for an upset child who has run off but a baby! Very frustrated with the way this is looking :banghead:

praying for Shannons safe return

I also have to add, each of my kids started sleeping 7-10 hours straight through the night around 8 weeks old. Don't be jealous :)

This case so far is bizarre. I have a feeling that all of the conflicting reports and limited info mean LE knows what happened and who did it, just like in the Elizabeth Olten case. But... I'm still holding out hope that baby Shannon will be found safe and sound.

The parents names are posted somewhere on web. I'll try to find it. . Mother is Tina and the father that may not be the real father is Rusty.

A search was suppose to have started again at 6a. Im only a few blocks from their home. I really really wanted to help, but as someone reminded me, Im 66 years old, and out of shape. That area is swampy, vine covered, difficult area to walk in.
So here I sit.

I sent a msg to adnod, and im waiting for his response. Is there another mod on duty now?

is pretty good about getting back to people. However, our Admin here is Animal and our mods are Hoppyfrog, Christine and Imamaze.

Maybe someone did think baby wasn't cared for correctly and did take her???
But then I would think that the person would then contact relatives or
LE to protect Shannon.

A baby is allot of stress and responsibility for normal people let alone handcapped people.
Health problems (parents & baby) could make the home life unbearable.
A 7 month old is more active, cries more, has a personality (temper), can choke on small items, could be an accident and parents got so scared ............
teething

blue and white helicopter overhead. seems to be doing a grid search. They are pretty close to the tops of trees.

Dont misunderstand, but what are they looking for???? Do they really think they can see a baby that has been missing for several days from that level?

Do we know if the stroller is at the family home or is it missing also?

When my oldest (now 30 months) was an infant, he had a very large head. Off the growth charts large. They couldn't measure it in percentiles since it was well above the top of the growth scale. That's not to say he doesn't have a large head now, but they stop measuring at 12 months unless there's the indication of a problem.

A large head can be indicative of a number of things, from a potential for Autism, brain malformations, etc, or nothing at all. In our case, I have quite a large head myself and it put the ped's mind at ease.

HOWEVER, despite my son's head being that large, it never looked abnormally large to me like this little girl. To be honest, though, it looked to me that her's appeared larger than it was because she was incredibly tiny (thin?) in the rest of her little body. Eleven pounds is not close to a normal birth rate in a seven month-old. My two sons' six month birth rates were both in the 18 + pound range. Both were about 70% percentile in weight. "Normal" would be listed around 17 pounds. My oldest weighed 9lbs when born in the 37th week. I know it's only a difference of six pounds, but when you're talking about a little being already so small, that is a substansial difference. It'd be like an adult who's supposed to weigh 120 weighing 70. Perhaps she was incredibly petite, but to be that petite would seem to point to a syndrome or lack of care.

Either way, she is/was a beautiful little girl, but with apologies to NG, she did not look healthy or normal. Whether it was because of her care or whether health issues somehow led to motive/neglect, I don't know. The lack of hair is fairly normal. I have a friend who has a daughter that lacked hair at the year mark.

Both my children were sleeping through the night by 10 weeks.

So sad. I almost wonder if she had a cluster of issues for which the parents didn't seek help. Maybe they thought it'd be easier for them if she died. Maybe that's all coincidental and it was straight-up abuse. Either way, it sounds like this little girl won't be coming home. :(

It sure looks like Child and Family Services failed this little girl. :(

I have to say though, my first child was sleeping 8 hrs straight by the time he was 7 months.

My son slept through the night when he was 3 months old, but I didn't. NG said all babies heads are big, but it is clear to most people that this baby's head is way too big, but it looks normal to NG. Look how tiny the actual FACE is (eyes, nose, and mouth) in comparison to the head. Prayers for this family and little Shannon as well.

Mom, according to Channi (post#90) Tina was approx 5 feet tall and weighed 67 lbs before pregnancy.

I'm glad to hear she is a happy baby -- now they just need to find her!!

<snip>

“(The mother) came by a lot to borrow cigarettes or use the microwave to pop popcorn,” Wilt said. “She would have the baby sometimes. They bragged about that baby everywhere, all the time. She was a totally happy and content child, always. We never once heard her cry.”

http://www2.dothaneagle.com/dea/new...e_search_for_missing_7-month-old_girl/105570/

That's odd, though. Five feet tall is petite, but not abnormal. Sixty-seven pounds is not a normal weight for that height. She'd appear completely emaciated. I'm trying to wrack my brain of which disorders cause such disproportionate weight and height. Everything I've Googled would seem to infer a proportionate weight and height delay.

Being that the parents of this missing little bundle have reduced mental capacity and were classified as disabled there would have been various programs available to them to make them self-sufficient adults, rather than being a patient in a nursing home somewhere. Home health aide's, personal assistants, among others might have been frequents visitors into the home. These services are widely available to adults who are disabled and services should be utilized and offered before a disabled parent is overwhelmed at the 24/7 job that being a parent entails. I hope and pray that Baby Shannon is found safe and sound. Losing another child is too sad and too soon and I wish we could do something to stop the rapid increase of disappearances and death to our nations children.

This may sound really insensitive but here in KY in the '50s (if I remember correctly) parents of children who were low functioning could petition the KY board of psychology to rule they could have their children's tubes tied or a vasectomy so they could not reproduce.

Maybe this should be brought back. I had lunch with one of the Dr's that was on the board and he told me about it. He stated they quit doing it because it was inhumane. I think if it prevents events like this from happening...ok I'll leave it at that.

Just to toss in my thoughts...Yes, Shannon is tiny, but I've always been told the general rule of thumb for a baby's growth is that they should double their birth weight by six months and that consistent growth is more important than where a baby falls on a chart...with that in mind, if Shannon was 5 lbs or so at birth, then you would expect her to be 10 lbs at 6 months, so 11 lbs at 7 months would be just about right for her. She may not fit our ideal of a chubby, rolly-polly baby, but she might be just fine for where she's supposed to be.

blue and white helicopter overhead. seems to be doing a grid search. They are pretty close to the tops of trees.

Dont misunderstand, but what are they looking for???? Do they really think they can see a baby that has been missing for several days from that level?

Do we know if the stroller is at the family home or is it missing also?

They don't have to see the baby, they could be looking for a burial site, which would be visible from the air. I don't know if they are using infrared or heat tech. but they might be to look for recently turned earth or plants being fed by decomp proteins, as they look different from the air after even a few days.

Has anyone thought that maybe an animal got hold of the baby? I hate to think about that. That poor bb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1