FL - Shannon Dedrick, 7 mo., Chipley, 31 Oct 2009 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found her myspace page with a picture of a girl, assume its her, its her name and the town listed is chipley which is a pretty small town...aside from that though, no i havn't seen her

Have your aunt and cousins been able to begin their drive to Chipley? Any idea how long it will take for them to get there?

Prayers for all,

Salem

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/baby-22199-chipley-continues.html

This from the local news 14 minutes ago. But I still don't see anything new.

Haddock said the parents have chosen not to make a public statement.

“We are making that appeal and acting for the family,” Haddock said.

In light of the reports that both parents are "developmentally disabled", their not speaking to reporters should not be seen as a negative. Some of these reporters could get the parents saying things that would only confuse matters and not help.

Imagine 2 very young teens, living alone with a baby who has medical issues. They at least must be tired, confused and emotionally spent. I hope the sheriff's office continues to protect them, as they need protection from wolves in sheeps clothing; just as much as their baby needs to be protected.

The sheriff, described the parents’ emotional state as “upset.”

Haddock also said that Internet rumors that the mother had confessed to burying the baby were not true, and there was no search underway at the old landfill on South Boulevard. The site is being used for the various search teams participating in the hunt for the missing child.

Haddock said the two adults living at 793C Brown Street have been interviewed but he would go into any specifics about what investigators learned. Haddock also refused to release the names of the adults or release the name of the person of interest.

Haddock said the adults had no police records, and declined to say if they had been investigated by the Department of Children and Families.

Haddock said the department received word at about 11:30 a.m. Saturday that the baby was missing, and the adults said she went missing between 3 a.m. when they went to bed and 11 a.m. when they woke up. Search dogs from Chattahoochie State Hospital and Gulf Correctional Institution were sent out first and then a “fingertip-to-fingertip” search was initiated of the 500-600-foot wooded area near the home.

Do we know if Shannon had been receiving regular medical care for her development issues? If her parents did not have insurance and they are on disability it would have been very hard for them to afford Shannon's healthcare. This seems like a possible motive to me, sadly.

I don't have children but it seems awfully strange to me to have your 7 month old up until 3am. It seems pretty selfish, like they were keeping her awake late so she would sleep late which would allow them to sleep late too. My niece is 8 months old and she is in bed by 8:30pm if not earlier.

From the article posted above
Haddock said Shannon Lea’s parents called the Washington County Sheriff’s Office to report her missing Saturday, telling investigators she was in the same bedroom as the parents and could have gone missing as early as 3 a.m. or as late as 11 a.m. He did not indicate whether the parents were believed to be implicated in her disappearance, but did say they have no past criminal history. He described the parents’ emotional state as “upset.”

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but HOW IN THE WORLD?!?!?! My babies slept at length by 7 months too..but that doesn't mean that I didn't wake from a sound sleep just to check that they are breathing! It's only a matter of time before this case resolves itself, LE has gotta know the end result by now...surely this is a case of "let them think they are free and clear so that they may get comfortable and screw up"..lots have cases have been closed tight by just letting them run to the ends of their chains and barking. If the "parents" were that bad off mentally would the hospital have even let them take the baby home? I mean I have seen stories of mothers that were profoundly mentally disabled that still had the basic instinct to love and nurture their babies!

O.T.

And yet, again *sigh*

Pensecola ..... A pregnant young woman went to see the Daddy of her unborn baby on Thursday and hasn't been seen since.

------
In the case of Shannon's Mom, I wonder if she even knows she can ask for an attorney at any time?
I wonder if she even knows she doesn't have to answer any questions?
When this whole thing breaks wide open, I bet there is going to be a lot of finger pointing as to how the 'developmentally disabled' was handled.

Do we know if Shannon had been receiving regular medical care for her development issues? If her parents did not have insurance and they are on disability it would have been very hard for them to afford Shannon's healthcare. This seems like a possible motive to me, sadly.

I don't have children but it seems awfully strange to me to have your 7 month old up until 3am. It seems pretty selfish, like they were keeping her awake late so she would sleep late which would allow them to sleep late too. My niece is 8 months old and she is in bed by 8:30pm if not earlier.

I'm sure the baby was on a state health plan.

My 7 month old goes down for the last time about 1 am, and sometimes wakes up at about 6 am for a bottle, however, if she played hard or had her baby food right before bed, she will sleep until nearly noon, if I let her.
It takes work to get a baby on a schedule and if the parents are mentally as young as the reports are saying, they might not have known how to do it, so they let her call the shots as far as sleep time. I don't necessarily see it as selfish, could just be that they don't know any better. I didn't with my first.
Everyone kept telling me about her schedule and asking what kind of schedule she had. I told them until she was almost a year old that she hadn't made up her mind, that's when I learned that I was supposed to set it for her.
That one, surprisingly, doesn't raise any flags for me. I would agree with you about the possibility of health care costs being a motive...or that they were given grim prognoses on her development and thought she "would be better off".

Well I would hope that Medicaid would kick in for Shannon. Here in Alabama we have programs for kids. The parents might not have healthcare but most kids are able to get coverage via Medicaid or something called "Allkids".

And I had a cousin that kept her baby up later because her husband worked until 10pm. They did not use daycare so she kept her up late so she could sleep later in the morning. She wasn't up until 3am but she was up until 11pm most nights and woke up around 9 or 10am. My cousin worked 7am to 2pm so she would rush home to take over so Dad could go to work. I am sure this is not common but it might be the case here.

Also, her comment about how "Suspicious" it is that a 7 month old child sleeps through the night, that ticked me off too. My son just turned 6 months old and he's been basically sleeping through the night since he was 2 months old. Sometimes he wakes up and wants a bottle, but more often than not, he will sleep 8 to 10 hours straight. It may not be the norm, but it IS possible.

My daughter was born on March 13, 2 days after Shannon. She has slept 8-10 hours straight since mothers Day, when she was a little over 2 months old. And my boyfriend works til midnight, so all 3 of us don't end up sleeping until 1-2 am. But every little move, sigh, grunt my baby makes, I wake up. If she didn't make any noise, I'd probably wake up and notice. We co-sleep though. I don't know if Shannon's parents did.

I sincerely hope that the police department in charge of this investigation are treading very cautiously around the parents of Baby Shannon and I also hope that unless they have someone on staff that has experience in dealing with adults and children with developmental disabilities. There should be an advocate or liaison that is working with them unless they have parents or other family members available to help them understand everything that is going on. This is so very sad but I would hope that if something has happened to Shannon, justice can be sought for her.

General Information About Medicaid

Medicaid provides Medical coverage to low income individuals and families. The state and federal government share the costs of the Medicaid program. Medicaid services in Florida are administered by the Agency for Health Care Administration.

Medicaid eligibility in Florida is determined either by the Department of Children and Families (DCF) or the Social Security Administration (for SSI recipients).

DCF determines Medicaid eligibility for:
Low income families with children
Children only
Pregnant women
Non-citizens with medical emergencies
Aged and/or disabled individuals not currently receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

eta: NON-CITIZENS WITH MEDICAL EMERGENCIES? w t f

This may sound really insensitive but here in KY in the '50s (if I remember correctly) parents of children who were low functioning could petition the KY board of psychology to rule they could have their children's tubes tied or a vasectomy so they could not reproduce.

Maybe this should be brought back. I had lunch with one of the Dr's that was on the board and he told me about it. He stated they quit doing it because it was inhumane. I think if it prevents events like this from happening...ok I'll leave it at that.

Inhumane? What appears to have happened to this little baby is what is inhumane! I think I would be totally in agreement with this practice being reinstated, depending on the degree of mental deficiency, of course. You're right, it does sound cold, but I agree with it. From what I have read about this case, little Shannon never had a chance. I hope I am wrong. I hope they find her safe and alive, but then I hope she is taken away from this couple and given to the grandmother or someone in the family who is mentally competent to raise her.

From the article posted above
Haddock said Shannon Lea’s parents called the Washington County Sheriff’s Office to report her missing Saturday, telling investigators she was in the same bedroom as the parents and could have gone missing as early as 3 a.m. or as late as 11 a.m. He did not indicate whether the parents were believed to be implicated in her disappearance, but did say they have no past criminal history. He described the parents’ emotional state as “upset.”

Maybe it's just me, but this story sounds familiar..ummm...Misty:waitasec:

Does anyone know if Shannon is from polk county if not heres another tragic case :furious:
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/21507473/detail.html

Thanks for posting this. I don't think this is Shannon, but I could be wrong.
I noticed the top comment is from someone talking about her friends baby that had a medical condition which causes the Pylorus (Stomache Muscle) to enlarge and block food from the lower intestine. For anyone wondering, this is a true condition. It is called Pyloric Stenosis. My son had a full abdominal ultrasound at 8 weeks old to check for this as he was projectile vomiting. Thankfully it was ruled out and he is being treated for reflux. But I am grateful my Dr. was so willing to look into this instead of waiting around. She actually would have had him in for the surgery that very night had he been diagnosed with the condition. I also have a nephew that had surgery to correct this.
Not that it would make the loss of a baby's life any better, but I DO hope that is what happened rather than that these parents literally starved their child to death.

Having followed crime and missing persons cases since 2002, I've been affected greatly by many cases. But being a new mom sure makes it a lot harder to hear and read about this stuff. These poor, poor babies. :(

This may sound really insensitive but here in KY in the '50s (if I remember correctly) parents of children who were low functioning could petition the KY board of psychology to rule they could have their children's tubes tied or a vasectomy so they could not reproduce.

Maybe this should be brought back. I had lunch with one of the Dr's that was on the board and he told me about it. He stated they quit doing it because it was inhumane. I think if it prevents events like this from happening...ok I'll leave it at that.

It still happens. I know someone who did that to their child in the 90s. They had to petition a court to do it. I know another family that did not, and now they have a grandchild fathered by an unknown rapist. The girl went to a day facility and it presumably happened there.

Well, we really at this point do not know what "issues" they have. I'm just saying, they could be a factor, and maybe they are not.............

General Information About Medicaid

Medicaid provides Medical coverage to low income individuals and families. The state and federal government share the costs of the Medicaid program. Medicaid services in Florida are administered by the Agency for Health Care Administration.

Medicaid eligibility in Florida is determined either by the Department of Children and Families (DCF) or the Social Security Administration (for SSI recipients).

DCF determines Medicaid eligibility for:
Low income families with children
Children only
Pregnant women
Non-citizens with medical emergencies
Aged and/or disabled individuals not currently receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

eta: NON-CITIZENS WITH MEDICAL EMERGENCIES? w t f

Shannon should have been eligible for Medicaid. FL also has KidCare (very low-cost insurance for children) and also has Children's Medical Services, which provides services to children with a variety of disabilities.

http://www.floridakidcare.org/index.html
http://www.cms-kids.com/index.html

We do know that the parents have developmental disabilities and while I would never attempt to point to that disability as a possible defense if the parents are proven to have been involved, however, it is a predictable tactic that a defense attorney would employ and the reason that I said I hope LE is treading carefully and has offered an advocate or liaison to assist. I stand firmly behind Baby Shannon and care only about discovering her whereabouts and if she has been harmed, I would hope for her and all of those that love her to have the justice they seek.

I lost my post...crap.

Helicopters are done, No idea what is going on.

Where is the darn stroller? if she took the baby away in the stroller does this mean she brought the empty stroller back home?

within 24 hours the buzzards way back in my yard, had completly ate the dead cat, not a bone or a piece of fur was there the next morning.

family in tex had to raise money?????? why? they should not have had to do a darn thing, once local LE called tx, I would think money would have showed up right away. Its 6 hrs, as I understand it, from their home to here (Chipley) What would you need? gas and a btl of water to get to your child?

Emergency health care for non-citizens.
I think that might be an old, unclear stipulation. I have a friend from S. Africa...her parents were revolutionaries...her father ran an underground anti government newspaper, and her mother was involved in more minor ways. She fled, seeking political asylum, after her parents were both killed.
While waiting for her official paperwork and final decision on asylum, she had her temporary visa. She was in the backseat of a car that was rear-ended, she had to have the EMT's treat her on scene, and was in the hospital for several weeks. Medicaid stepped up and paid about 80% of her bills. They told her that although she was not a citizen, yet, she was also not an illegal, she is documented as taking the appropriate steps to get here, and following the rules since she was here. So they helped her. It was only for true life threatening emergencies.
O/T, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member