GUILTY FL - Shannon Dedrick, 7 mo., Chipley, 31 Oct 2009 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've missed all of you since I went back to the Somer Thompson thread, but cannot get Shannon out of my mind.
Please know that she is being prayed for every day, and that our sleuther and our caller are my special heroes.
I've been involved in something like this before, on a private blog, and a life was saved.
OMG. Still gives me chills-and pride.
I'll be checking back. So many people to thank in this case.
Channiilove, my prayers and utmost respect.

Do we have any info how baby Shannon is doing now?
Who she is with?
Any new news on her?

. Our argument is that she does not deserve to go to prison but to get help and monitoring suitable to her mental condition.

Chaniilove,
I hope she is getting the help she needs now where shes at. I dont believe Tina knew where her baby was and if she did she really had no reason to believe she would be harmed, after all didnt Susan take care of other children,and who knew she was so evil? None of them!
I hope Tina is realeased soon so that she can get the help she needs and I hope Shannon can stay somewhere where she'll be taken good care of and loved.

. Our argument is that she does not deserve to go to prison but to get help and monitoring suitable to her mental condition.

Chaniilove,
I hope she is getting the help she needs now where shes at. I dont believe Tina knew where her baby was and if she did she really had no reason to believe she would be harmed, after all didnt Susan take care of other children,and who knew she was so evil? None of them!
I hope Tina is realeased soon so that she can get the help she needs and I hope Shannon can stay somewhere where she'll be taken good care of and loved.

Well..with all those camera crews, searchers risking their own safety,
with all the cops and even her family there asking her for answer a gazillion different ways......???

why wouldn't she tell what had happened??

and if she is that "incapable" I sure don't think she should be out in the public...nor do I think she should have other children for the state to support

what makes you "think" that Tina thought everything would be ok?? I am sure that "nice" counselors and psychologists etc were trying to help her admit what had happened to Shannon..it didn't work...she didn't tell and it is no thanks to Tina that the baby was found

in regard to updates...just that article I posted..the foster mother has to cover Shannon's face due to the amount of people who recognize her and probably mean well...but not a good way to live
The article also mentions how this may affect Shannon for years....she will be recognized as the "baby in the box"

in regard to updates...just that article I posted..the foster mother has to cover Shannon's face due to the amount of people who recognize her and probably mean well...but not a good way to live
The article also mentions how this may affect Shannon for years....she will be recognized as the "baby in the box"

Youre absolutely right, Shannon may be affected for years,BECAUSE OF WHAT SUSAN BAKER DID!! Shannon might be recognized as the "baby in the box" BECAUSE OF WHAT SUSAN BAKER DID!!! The foster mother has to cover Shannons face BECAUSE SUSAN BAKER EITHER KIDNAPPED OR DIDNT BRING SHANNON BACK AND SHANNON WAS HELD BY SUSAN BAKER FOR DAYS AND KEPT UNDER THE BED IN A BOX AND THIS STORY TOUCHED SO MANY PEOPLE THAT NOW SHANNON IS WELL KNOWN TO MANY,ALL OF THIS DOESNT ERASE THE FACT THAT TINA SUFFERS FROM MENTAL ILLNESS AS SHE HAS SINCE SHE WAS A CHILD.
Have you ever been exposed to people with mental illness ? Never mind:banghead:

Youre absolutely right, Shannon may be affected for years,BECAUSE OF WHAT SUSAN BAKER DID!! Shannon might be recognized as the "baby in the box" BECAUSE OF WHAT SUSAN BAKER DID!!! The foster mother has to cover Shannons face BECAUSE SUSAN BAKER EITHER KIDNAPPED OR DIDNT BRING SHANNON BACK AND SHANNON WAS HELD BY SUSAN BAKER FOR DAYS AND KEPT UNDER THE BED IN A BOX AND THIS STORY TOUCHED SO MANY PEOPLE THAT NOW SHANNON IS WELL KNOWN TO MANY,ALL OF THIS DOESNT ERASE THE FACT THAT TINA SUFFERS FROM MENTAL ILLNESS AS SHE HAS SINCE SHE WAS A CHILD.
Have you ever been exposed to people with mental illness ? Never mind:banghead:

IMO, Susan Baker has two victims in this case. It appears she has been victimizing people for years and there is a good possibility that she murdered one of her victims :( I, personally, do not believe Shannon will suffer any long term effects from the box incident.

Oh so now Tina is just a victim??

If she was so mentally ill why was she even out and about to get pregnant (she apparently is not sure who the dad is?)

why wasn't she in some sort of group home years ago ?

if she is so mentally ill why would you want her back out to live with her baby and her mother who apparently was unable to control her in the first place??

you can't have it both ways

Many people in prison are "mentally ill"....criminally insane means that they don't know right from wrong

I agree that Tina probably has mental problems....but she knows right from wrong it seems
she lied and covered up what she did..that alone shows she is not truly "insane"

low IQ?? Lots of people in prison with a low IQ...they just can't execute them if their IQ is below a certain level...but they sure can be in prison

there is so much sympathy on THIS board for the "family"...trust me many other boards don't have this bias

also...it may be "politically incorrect" say it here but what of Shannon herself/? She is really tiny for her age, she seems distant and does not react like most babies...her head is very large ...does she have the same condition or syndrome or whatever it is that Tina is supposed to have?? Isn't Tina tiny and her head is large?
And now this baby has all this media attention..."baby in the box"..
pretty sad that the foster mother has to cover her little face

I frankly also blame the social workers...I don't see how they felt this was a fit home

and they put Shannon at "intermediate risk">> ouch...that is not acceptable

but no matter....what was done was done...the state of Florida seems to be pressing charges on Tina for her part in this

I do hope that Susan Brown gets what she deserves...it would be great if they opened up Paul's case in SC and justice was served

however...no matter how bad Susan is, that doesn't lessen what Tina did

I do hope that Susan Brown gets what she deserves...it would be great if they opened up Paul's case in SC and justice was served

It is Susan Baker and Paul's case is an open case in SC - there is a Paul Baker thread here on WS for anybody who wants to get some more insight into Susan Baker and what makes her tick.

For the life of me I cannot understand why James Baker has not been charged - is he truly blind and deaf or just plain so stupid that he truly didn't know that Shannon was in a box under the bed he was presumably sleeping in. Then again he was still with Susan Baker and she was/is the prime suspect in the disappearance and presumed murder of his son Paul????

I would like the world to know that I had control over tina until SSI decided that she could live on her own despite my plea that she couldnt and I would also like for the world to know that it was me who made the first 2 reports to CPS 12 days after shannon was born that she was in need of help. As for tina, among other disabilities she has a bone growth disorder and her skull is 7 inches SMALLER that a normal skull and I think with shannon being so tiny she just needs to grow into her head. I wish people would just wait until this is all said and done and they know all the facts before they are so cruel with their comments.

I will be headed back to Florida this weekend to be there for my daughters arraignment and for my granddaughters next custody phase and shannon is doing well. Tina has been psycologically evaluated as well as the alleged father and its in the lord and the judges hands now and I know that they both have nothing but shannons best interest at hand here. I ask for continued prayer for tina and for shannon and for my safe travels. thank you all for your kind words and prayers.

Cruel with comments??

to me it was cruel to set up a fake missing baby case....and what Baker did was beyond cruel

but to let the searchers search for days, to waste the states time and money...that is cruel also. I wish the state would send the bill to Tina and the Baker's for all their efforts

every "fake" case like this (Runaway Bride etc) hurts "real" cases...every penny spent on this takes away money and time that could be spent on real cases

I sure hope the family doesn't profit from this...I for one am sick of seeing people set up "funds" and foundations....like Shaynia's dad and Somer's mother...gag me

Just think..a searcher could have been hurt ...a search dog could have been hurt

Yes, Susan Baker may be a manipulative monster..but I am positive that the LE offered Tina many "outs", many deals...

IF this was a case where a mentally ill, low IQ mother started a hoax and then took a "deal" to tell the truth and stopped the insanity early on I would have no problem with that

But she didn't...the baby was found (in a box) no thanks to Tina

Cyber hugs for Shannon and may she be blessed as the courts decide her future care. The facts as they emerge will tell the tale of baby Shannon and who knew what/when/where/how. LE will present the facts as the cases move forward and the chips will fall as they should. Until the facts are known, cyber hugs for Shannon and to those who have her best interests in the forefront.

Regrading Tina's disabilities....they can be used to get her help after she is sentenced

I thought this was for "sleuthing"?? Other forums mention (in great detail) the way this baby doesn't smile or move or do anything...and her low weight, her large head

and Tina...her cold call to 911...sitting there smoking a cigarette !

Again...disabled people, mentally ill people, and people who have a low IQ are all in prison...in fact the prisons are full of them

I am sure they will make her take her meds in there and she will be ok

What do you really propose here anyhow?? Just let her go free? Give the baby back to her?? what next??

Do you think that mentally ill people should not be held accountable for crimes??

I am not attacking other posters, calling names or saying anything out of line. If you have a different opinion, fine

Simply commenting on a case that has been in the news...and a person who is under arrest in my state

In this case there is no huge mystery about Tina...we all watched this play out on tv

What might Tina do next?? I don't know

There is a thread on here with a young girl whose mom helped a SRO escape a halfway house and they took off with her 3 year old daughter

another thread where a mentally disturbed/challenged mother's new love is a felon who took off with her 13 year old daughter...he now claims that HE took the girl due to the abuse her mentally disabled /disturbed mother put on her

Tina made bad choices before...why would anyone trust a child to her ??

It is sad to see how many single moms make horrible choices ...to the detriment of their kids. Now...add on "emotional age of a 13 year old", bi polar, whatever else is going on, and oh yeah, likes to smoke pot...not a good situation IMHO

I personally think that Tina would be apt to make more bad choices in the future...who knows what sort of guy she might take up , or who might "influence" her next?

I also question the state social services...they let the baby stay in that trailer with an "intermediate" risk factor as THEY called it

turned out to be a lot more than intermediate

I do think we need more "help" for people who are mentally ill...but when they commit crimes, tough luck...let them do the time, I don't care if they do it in a mental hospital or a prison, but they should not get a "get out of jail free card"

What is so special about Tina and her family??

IMHO Tina allowed this to happen and did nothing to save her own child

How is it cruel to talk about a person who is arrested?? There are threads on here that disparage a mother of dead child (Somer) and much more

Tina is under arrest...apparently the state of Florida doesn't find her as sympathetic as you do

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Cruel?? Tina was the cruel one

Here is the latest news I have found on this >>>

Shannon’s next custody hearing is scheduled for Dec. 15.

Her father, James “Rusty” Dedrick Jr., has agreed with the state Department of Children and Families’ custody recommendation, but Mercer is fighting it, officials said.

Baker was charged with aggravated child abuse and is being held on a $125,000 bond. Mercer was charged with deserting a child and is being held on a $75,000 bond. Both face additional counts of interference with child custody, filing a false missing child report, filing a false report of a crime and contributing to the dependency of a child.

Their arraignments are scheduled for Dec. 14.

Mercer is "fighting it"??? Wow

Actually I don't know if "Rusty" is the dad (who knows?) but I will say from what I have read and heard he was a lot more upset than Christina Mercer was
He seems to have the baby's best interests at heart. I don't think he had anything to do with that cruel and dangerous hoax and I am glad he was not arrested .

I doubt if he even knew the truth about his step aunt anyway.

LM, the Grandmother has stated that she called Social Services when Shannon was born. She knew Tina wasn't fit to raise a child on her own. She tried to keep Tina home with her. She knew it, but apparently Tina didn't. Her own Mother knew she wasn't capable, yet the State let it happen?

How could you expect Grandma to fully blame her Daughter when she knew she wasn't capable to begin with?

Maybe your anger would best be directed at Social Services. The people who left this baby solely in her Mother's care.

LM, the Grandmother has stated that she called Social Services when Shannon was born. She knew Tina wasn't fit to raise a child on her own. She tried to keep Tina home with her. She knew it, but apparently Tina didn't. Her own Mother knew she wasn't capable, yet the State let it happen?

How could you expect Grandma to fully blame her Daughter when she knew she wasn't capable to begin with?

Maybe your anger would best be directed at Social Services. The people who left this baby solely in her Mother's care.

If she could not control Tina before why do some here hope that Tina will be reunited with her daughter and mother....what fairy tale is that?? who will pay for all of that anyhow ? If the grandmother has to work to support them, then who will watch Shannon....Tina??

I don't think Tina is fit to be a parent...to a baby or a puppy or a turtle

From the start I was struck by the picture they kept showing....of poor Shannon sitting bare chested among various junk...

is that the only picture these unfit parents ever took of the baby??
Did Tina ever even take the baby to WalMart or Penneys and get some decent pictures? How about buying a cheap disposable camera and dressing Shannon up and taking a nice picture of her??

No...they have a picture of her in a diaper sitting among their junk and mess

Maybe they never even took a decent picture of her...people on SSI don't make much and it seems these two had to buy pot, cigarettes at ? $5 or $6 a pack and beer or whatever

just disgusting...and yes I think the DCF in Florida has a horrible track record

there is a new article out that shows they don't even pass on complaints in many many cases..they don't even investigate

they are strapped for money...and look at the money Tina's little hoax cost the state.

I was alway taught as a child, sometimes it's not what you say, it's how you say it.
In other words, can't opinions be expressed without the added venom. JMO
Family members are members here. As far as I can see, Shannon's gm has done nothing wrong. Some of the comments about her have been awful. I cringe when I read them knowing they are being read by family members.
So, IMO everyone here has the right to their opinion,

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l