FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Kewpiedoll, Post #54

A child reported seeing Somer on the sidewalk in front of a vacant home that was 500 to 600 yards from Somer's elementary school.

There had been a fire at the home a few months ago and it was being remodeled. Workers hired for the remodeling told investigators that Somer had walked inside the fence around the house and spoke to them before walking away. It was the last confirmed sighting of Somer. http://www.ocala.com/article/2009110...anted-Saturday

So ... where did she walk to? That's what we need to know.

Hello Fellow Sleuths!

I have just returned home from a much needed mini-holiday and have been trying to catch up with all the posts. I was hoping there would be a major break in the case while I was away.

I read the article over at the Examiner (TY for the link!), and I wanted to ask if anyone has any info about the Jacksonville serial killer from 20 years ago mentioned in the article. Who were the victims? Were they children?

I'm going to poke around and see what I can come up with.

ChiliFries, can you give us a link to your map (what did you use to generate)? Did any of Somer's friends have tree house in their yard?

I know it was mentioned she also liked swimming pools and one article mentioned a friend at whose house Somer swam a lot.

Do we have any indication at all that Somer went up Arbor Circle part/all of the way, or did the friend last see her down on Gano? Or do we know? I'm a little confused about it.

It's theorizing for lack of LE disseminated evidence, and inspired by the curious article.

We do have to remember than while there were many kids walking, and a fair amount of traffic over Gano, traffic in the "circle" may not have been so heavy. The homes there are fairly far apart, fenced in, and there is lots of vegetation. Lets also remember the time of day, 3:00pm, when everyone is either at work, taking a nap, or busy getting ready for welcoming kids or catching up on chores.

She could've walked past the homes unnoticed, until she met whoever did that to her.

Again, nobody saw her past the house on Gano, but the guard at Grove park Drive is not sure if she saw Somer or not.

It's just another theory, that's all.

:)

I hope on AMW they give us the detail about what direction she went. Or if they even watched which way she went ...

It seems like she walked through the gate into the Gano house yard.

Kyle says that she told him what a good job they are doing. I don't believe it. She was upset because of her issues with her friends and sibs. I think he enticed her in through the gate. Why would she go there otherwise? She just happens to walk through the gate? Why that house? Why not another house on the way then? I think that house is key.

She walked inside the fence and then walked away. But where did she go when she walked away? Continued down Gano? Up Grove Park? Into the park? I guess that is what LE is keeping to themselves. If she walked around the house, they probably never saw where she went if she went back the way she came.

Workers hired for the remodeling told investigators that Somer had walked inside the fence around the house and spoke to them before walking away.

I hope they tell us what time that was too. Was Somer in the Gano house when her brother and sister passed by?

She walked inside the fence and then walked away. But where did she go when she walked away? Continued down Gano? Up Grove Park? Into the park? I guess that is what LE is keeping to themselves. If she walked around the house, they probably never saw where she went if she went back the way she came.

Workers hired for the remodeling told investigators that Somer had walked inside the fence around the house and spoke to them before walking away.

Why doesn't LE say where they said she walked away to? Why did she walk int there in the first place? Workers! What workers!

Why so little info from LE?

I remember seeing Cam's pictures of picket fence in the front and a chain fence around in the back - would Somer have to go out the same way as she went in, or are there other exits (gates, holes)? If so, how many? Anyone know? TIA

I think that may be another semantics issue. May mean the fence is around the house, and that is what somer walked thru. Not necessarily that she walked around the house.
Of course I'm usually wrong :)

ChiliFries, can you give us a link to your map (what did you use to generate)? Did any of Somer's friends have tree house in their yard?

I know it was mentioned she also liked swimming pools and one article mentioned a friend at whose house Somer swam a lot.

I used Bing Maps. Just go to Bing Maps, enter 1080 Gano and click on "Bird's eye" at the top of the map to get the zoomed in satellite photo.

The only thing about swimming pools is that people usually have them well fenced to comply with safety codes.

I pointed out what looks like the treehouse behind 1080 Gano just on the theory that she never crossed Gano, that she was abducted on the south side of Gano just not at the burned house at 1080.

There was a crossing guard at the corner of Gano and Grove Park Drive but he or she could have been looking in another direction and not seen Somer come around the corner and head down Grove Park Drive.

After spending more hours than I cared to trying to find the names of the missing victims of this mysterious child serial killer mentioned by John Walsh in the Examiner article (and I'm quite good at finding anything on the internet when I put my mind to it), I have come up empty. No one has responded to my post with any info, either. Have any of you looked into it? I looked on several prominent websites associated with missing and exploited children (as well as other media websites that were citing Walsh's statements) and have found NOTHING identifying the specific victims mentioned in the Examiner article. Another dead end in an ongoing series of dead ends.

Who were these children Walsh mentioned that went missing 20 years ago and were never found? According to the article, Walsh claims Somer could be the victim of a "serial child killer" come out of "retirement". If anyone can find any info on who these children were, it could help build a geo-profile of Somer's killer, since Walsh claims LE believes there might be a possible connection.

I can't find anything! Help!

After spending more hours than I cared to trying to find the names of the missing victims of this mysterious child serial killer mentioned by John Walsh in the Examiner article (and I'm quite good at finding anything on the internet when I put my mind to it), I have come up empty. No one has responded to my post with any info, either. Have any of you looked into it? I looked on several prominent websites associated with missing and exploited children (as well as other media websites that were citing Walsh's statements) and have found NOTHING identifying the specific victims mentioned in the Examiner article. Another dead end in an ongoing series of dead ends.

Who were these children Walsh mentioned that went missing 20 years ago and were never found? According to the article, Walsh claims Somer could be the victim of a "serial child killer" come out of "retirement". If anyone can find any info on who these children were, it could help build a geo-profile of Somer's killer, since Walsh claims LE believes there might be a possible connection.

I can't find anything! Help!
They may be listed in this article, although these happened 35 years ago:

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-10-25/story/is_it_a_different_world_for_our_kids

Jean Marie Schoen, Annette and Mylette Anderson, Virginia Helm and Ann Greene.

I hope I can post this, here. If not, I'll delete. Just received this email from AMW, which is on now/Fox:
AMW.com Obtains Exclusive Clues In Somer Thompson Murder

AMW.com has obtained exclusive clues in the hunt for 7-year-old Somer Thompson’s murder. Since Somer’s body was discovered more than three weeks ago, police have scoured the Orange Park, Fla. area where she disappeared, looking for leads. Tonight, police will reveal more information in hopes that the public can put a face and a name to the person who has brought so much pain to their close-knit community.

Tune in to America’s Most Wanted tonight at 9 p.m. / 8 p.m. Central for a full report, and stay with AMW.com for continuing coverage.

Thanks for the link, Chili! I read the article. Great info, but it seems that LE believed that several of the cases were unrelated to one another. That near miss with the teen girl and Ted Bundy gave me the chills!

I get the feeling that John Walsh was referring to more recent cases - he mentioned a 20-year-ago time frame in Jacksonville. Those cases in the link you posted are much older than what he talked about in that article on the Examiner.

I would really like to find out the names of the missing victims Walsh cited in his statements.

um......my guide says special edition of california murders is the subject on amw tonight.....anyone else?

Thank you Justy for the link! You & Chili are great at digging up old articles!

Is it possible that John Walsh was referring to those cases when he talked about a serial child killer in the Jacksonville area that may have "come out of retirement"? He doesn't strike me as someone who would mix up 35 yr old cases with what he referred to as 20 yr old unsolved cases.

I don't subscribe to cable TV, so I won't be able to watch AMW tonight. I'll only be able to read the transcripts when they're available online. I'm assuming there are so few members online right now because everyone's glued to the TV!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buck_317