FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the answer to that but found a bunch of stuff to look at later (am trying to cook dinner):

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_offender_registration[/ame]

Search for United States. There is a little information there. From what I can tell, state laws on registration vary.

Florida Statutes

Long link but here it is:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...String=sexual+offender&URL=CH0943/Sec0435.HTM

Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006
Info: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h109-4472

Text of Bill: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h109-4472

Story about Ohio as it relates to the above bill
http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2009/12/06/opinion/nh1781496.txt

ok y'all, I have a question. Are the statutes that require sex offenders to register state, federal, or both. Is there any date past which SO's are grandfathered and not made to register (like if their last crime was prior to a particular date)?

Also, at what point in the process do they have to register - immediately upon conviction or? The reason I'm asking is that in looking at some other missing/unsolveds, I went to some of the Alabama LE sites. I noticed that there are people wanted on warrants where the warrants involve sex crimes, but the individuals are not listed on the SO registry in Alabama. Here's a link to show what I'm talking about: http://www.co.madison.al.us/services/sheriff/mostwanted.php

Is it because these guys are pre-conviction?

I looked at your site and aren't they convicted? I think it's a Federal Law to register. Isn't it Megan's Law or Jacob's Law? I don't remember, but it was passed by Congress, which makes it Federal.

So why aren't they in the registry?

OK. I got a little education here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megan's_Law

I thought since it was Federal that there was a Federal protocol. Guess not!!!!!

It's up to states to decide how they are going to implement it.

There is some info there on a study done that said this law is expensive and does nothing to stop sexual abuse and crimes.

How do they know for sure?!!!!! Like did some SO say that they didn't give a carp about Megan's law and re offended anyway. I don't care if it works to stop them or not. I want to know who the SO's are in my neighborhood.

We do have the three level tier here of Level three being the most likely to re offend and being notified of them.

I've been under the delusion that all states are the same.

I looked at your site and aren't they convicted? I think it's a Federal Law to register. Isn't it Megan's Law or Jacob's Law? I don't remember, but it was passed by Congress, which makes it Federal.

So why aren't they in the registry?

That's what I wanted to know. And some of them have warrants out for not registering. I know they have to notify the court, but aren't they at least initially automatically registered (upon conviction) so that they'll be on the site whether they are compliant or not?

I doubt if they would give info to anyone. I don't think they give much info to the parents, even.

I would of thought that also human. But seeing posts here on these threads over and over again about a certain poster getting Le information when they call LE , I thought well heck why not me.. But, I wasn't as lucky as that poster. I got nothing from them.

I would think the parents would get information of any kind before a regular Joe out in the public too. Diena has told many times in the media that Le has told her nothing. I believe her, many parents in cases have said this.

I just don't understand why I didn't get some tid bits from LE. :waitasec:

Thanks noway for the info you posted. I'm going to look specifically at Alabama's registry rules. It really freaks me out to see all those guys though in SOME part of the judicial process for sex crimes - and they aren't registered. There is a most wanted warrant out for this guy, HE isn't registered and I sure wouldn't want to meet up with him: http://preview.tinyurl.com/yfjoshq

OK. I got a little education here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megan's_Law

I thought since it was Federal that there was a Federal protocol. Guess not!!!!!

It's up to states to decide how they are going to implement it.

There is some info there on a study done that said this law is expensive and does nothing to stop sexual abuse and crimes.

How do they know for sure?!!!!! Like did some SO say that they didn't give a carp about Megan's law and re offended anyway. I don't care if it works to stop them or not. I want to know who the SO's are in my neighborhood.

We do have the three level tier here of Level three being the most likely to re offend and being notified of them.

I've been under the delusion that all states are the same.

Nope , that is why it needs changed to a federal law.. for all states to abide by same laws and hopefully stiffer laws.

Needs changed and I hope it is being worked on...

Some wanted to name it Somer's Law but we have to wait to see what happened to her..

I think the reason they searched at night the first night was that they were doing luminol-type of blood/fluid searching and it probably works best at night in the dark.. Since the house was still be renovated, there weren't window treatments to block out sunlight during the day to do the luminol tests. I think they brought the digging/front loader equipment to use at the break of dawn - but just went ahead and brought it there. i think it was maybe to be use to "reload" the dumpster if they ended up throwing everything out of it.
Anyway - that was why i thought they did the initial Gano search at night -- luminol.

Very good point.. that makes tons of sense.

I saw Patty Wetterling talking on TV and they want to change the laws to be more user friendly. If anyone would work on a fair law, it would be Patty Wetterling.

It's claimed that public urination gets someone an SO, but I REALLY wonder about that. (on the Wikipedia site).

I am totally shocked that it isn't Federal!! But all of those states rights people will fight it to the bitter end. But maybe not as it is probably political death to be against laws that do something about sex offenders.

Why do people protect sex offenders?

A very very close contact of mine worked counseling civilly committed sex offenders. She walked off the job last Friday and quit. It was a good paying job with good benefits. She said that she could no longer sit there eight hours a day and listen to some guy talk about how he raped a 2 year old over and over and then with objects and didn't see anything wrong with it.

She had no other job to go to and needs a job. Fortunately, she got another one in a couple of days. Not as good paying, but that's over. The average length of employment in that type of job is two years. She did it a few months over that.

Send them to Alcatraz. Honestly, I don't care. There is the toll on the victim, the toll on the taxpayer, and the toll on the people that have to work with them. Why?

I used to believe in the DP, but someone said, "Would you be willing to pull the lever or whatever?" Well, I wouldn't', so I can't have anyone else do my dirty work for me. But I can have them living on the moon or Mars or wherever.

I wish I could get "Special" LE information. I called LE in Florida and I got nothing. I don't know what one has to say or do to get LE to give information to a them. I was nice, polite and still got nothing. I could use some pointers. Anyone game to help me? What I should say or do to get some inside scoop and names? TIA

BBM: MommaD, you know I'd do anything within my power to help you, but with that one, you're on your own. I had my own snub job when I was calling about the tip I had. That was enough for me...LOL - but good luck there sista - you're gonna need it.
I went to go find that info on the landfill I came across earlier today and my stinking wireless internet went down!!! Do you think something or someone is trying to tell me something????? I'm going to search for it again..hope to come back from the deep dark hole with some useful info!

Well Human, since you and I seem to be the only ones posting.. Im gonna add that I dont think SP had any motive that I can see to murder somer. If it was an accident, then I dont see why he wouldnt have just called 911. Its just all the contradictions that baffle me. Sp being there for lunch. Why they had lunch that day may never be answered, and prob had nothing to do with somer. Staying to wait for the kids. His name on the account. I dont get it. But it could be simple too. I can see DT saying he was there for the kids just so noone would know they were coming home to an empty house, as none of the kids were old enough to babysit. If he is an old and trusted friend, who is also good at accounting.. then maybe a name on acct, just so it wouldnt be family or b/f. My biggest question on that day is why did DT leave work to come home to look for her if her wandering was not a big enough deal for SP to call her in the first place. She wasnt gone that long, if it was commonplace thing for her to do. Could have just been her mother instincts telling her something was terribly wrong? If so, why not call LE immediately.. why would you wait? Better safe than sorry. Unless you had reasons that you really didnt want to involve LE unless you had to. Which is what finally happened. Im rambling and taking too much space.
I think the motive for any adult perp, who would most likely have to be a male, would be sexual. A nonsexual attack would make me think juvenile.

Is there a possibility that DT went through the phone list of houses Somer could sometimes be found at and got very worried when none of those people had seen her either?

I think the motive for any adult perp, who would most likely have to be a male, would be sexual. A nonsexual attack would make me think juvenile.

Is there a possibility that DT went through the phone list of houses Somer could sometimes be found at and got very worried when none of those people had seen her either?

You would think she probably did. But the babysitter said that sometimes she (the sitter) did not know where Somer went.

We don't know if the sitter reported that to DT. I would think the sitter would, but we have no way of knowing that the sitter told DT that Somer would disappear and the sitter didn't know where she was.

I am ASSuming the sitter was in the summer, so Somer disappearing is even more concerning as she was not walking home from school. She disappeared in the neighborhood for a long time. I am just assuming that she wasn't at a house that the sitter would call.

I do know that there are people that just let there kids wander. But I would think a sitter would be more paranoid because it's a job. But what does a teenager think, I don't know.

I would of thought that also human. But seeing posts here on these threads over and over again about a certain poster getting Le information when they call LE , I thought well heck why not me.. But, I wasn't as lucky as that poster. I got nothing from them.

I would think the parents would get information of any kind before a regular Joe out in the public too. Diena has told many times in the media that Le has told her nothing. I believe her, many parents in cases have said this.

I just don't understand why I didn't get some tid bits from LE. :waitasec:

I think the reason the detective told me about Chris the bouncer or whoever he was is because he knew I am ST's cousin and had ridden with the creepy weirdo. He acted like the guy was just a lil nuts and obsessed with 15 minutes of fame because he "knew" DT. I think his version of "knew" probably went much deeper than hers. I dont think he told me anything that he hasnt told DT/fam, and probably would tell ST too if he called. I appreciate that he knew I had been concerned about this individual since the funeral and there was no harm in putting my mind to rest. I dont think it was luck, or doing anything special, I just think it wasnt that important to anyone but me.

Alabama state law does require registration upon release from incarceration, or on conviction if the perp isn't incarcerated. So maybe those guys haven't been convicted yet but haven't made a court date in their case or something. I don't know. I just find it scary that there is this whole new population of unregistered SO's - the SO's who have been arrested for the crime, but are out of jail on bail awaiting their first SO conviction. Also, what about LE? I wonder how many of these types live in Somer's neighborhood? Do they have any way of knowing even?

It just underscores, to me, how careful we have to be with our children because we really don't have any certain way to know the identity of ALL of the people in our neighborhoods who offend sexually.

I could get but I won't quote all the posts about information that came from LE in a phone call to a poster. We all have read them they are on the board posted as such. I find it truly hard to believe Le would give information to anyone at this time let alone a cousin 10 times removed. Might take information from the caller but I can't see them giving all the information posted on this board that has been stated as LE said this Le told me this.

I am sorry but LE just do not work that way. So many people on this board have been in situations like this and I am sure they have not gotten answers when they would like to about their own families crime.

maybe it's me.. but media can't get anything either. they would be printing it. surely they would like to sell newspapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme