FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They got him and the DNA told the story.

Now they just have to process all the evidence they got in the recent searches.

He is not going anywhere with a million dollar bail.

I believe you maybe jumping the gun in speculation at this point with your statement I bolded above. Although I think you are mostly likely correct (I hope anyway), we don't know that at this point or is there a link I missed? Everyone here wants justice for Somer & hopefully it comes soon; it seems we have been waiting forever.

ETA - You're right though, with the bond amount he isn't going anywhere, thank goodness!!!

If that's the case then how were they able to obtain a search warrant at the other Gano home so quickly? Was there even a shred of evidence that Somer was there at all?

Listen, I've been a big supporter of Mr. Sheriff's up until now and I still think he has been highly motivated to solve this case. But something failed there.

The Buchanans must have been going crazy with frustration wanting Harrell to be investigated. THEY put 2 and 2 together months ago.

Why didn't LE?

Reposting my reply, with link added. Sorry was typing too quick and thought I added it.

A search warrant was never obtained for the other Gano house. The owner gave permission to search it. And according to a witness, that was the last place she was seen.
http://jacksonville.com/community/m..._continues_at_scene_near_where_somer_thompson

As far as the Buchanans, who I'm assuming to be Mr. Buchanan has posted this comment after several local news articles:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/special/somer/news-article.aspx?storyid=151953&catid=338
(it's the last comment)

"cazkdm wrote:
I’d like to start off with saying thank you to both LE and the news media,
Thanks to LE for all their hard work to clear our children before going after the suspect. Thanks to all the news media for leaving our children alone and showing that even you guys have a heart. You know some of you people out there really do understand how all this works which is great, others seem to think LE could/should have had this guy in jail long before now. But look at it from this point of view, someone gets mad at you for what ever reason and takes your computer to LE and says there is child *advertiser censored* on it and let’s say LE runs right out and locks you up, your whole life just changed, you lose your job, your friends, the public convicts you on site and even if your cleared there will always be some that will doubt you. LE worked very hard and took their time to make sure they were going after the right person for the child *advertiser censored*; do any of you really think a judge would have issued a warrant for his arrest on the *advertiser censored* if our children had not been cleared first? We are all very proud of our children/step children/future son and law and of CCSO for a job well done. "

I believe you maybe jumping the gun in speculation at this point with your statement I bolded above. Although I think you are mostly likely correct (I hope anyway), we don't know that at this point or is there a link I missed? Everyone here wants justice for Somer & hopefully it comes soon; it seems we have been waiting forever.

ETA - Your right with the bond amount he isn't going anywhere, thank goodness!!!

I don't think they would have named JH a POI if his dad's dna did not match half of the Dna they were comparing it against.

That his father gave a DNA sample 6 weeks ago says it ALL. I'm guessing preliminary reports point to Harrell. Maybe waiting for the confirmation tests. I won't be surprised to see him charged with Somer's murder the second he sets foot in Clay county. JMO

What I find interesting is they went to his father for the DNA sample. It may be a stretch, but it says to me that six weeks ago, they knew enough about Harrell and had investigated him to the point that they would go to a family member he had almost no relationship with, as his dad said.

If you want DNA to compare, why not go to the known family members in town, unless you want to be pretty sure this person isn't going to tell him? KWIM? IMO of course.

I don't think they would have named JH a POI if his dad's dna did not match half of the Dna they were comparing it against.

I am not questioning your opinion only your statement "They got him and the DNA told the story." Just urging caution as this isn't fact yet & people come on to catch up (not reading everything) & may take that statement as fact is all. I believe in time, it may prove correct though.

I am not questioning your opinion only your statement "They got him and the DNA told the story." Just urging caution as this isn't fact yet & people come on to catch up (not reading everything) & may take that statement as fact is all. I believe in time, it may prove correct though.

Yeah the way I nailed this guy on his profile and with my avatar someone might think i am speaking from a position of authority.

What I find interesting is they went to his father for the DNA sample. It may be a stretch, but it says to me that six weeks ago, they knew enough about Harrell and had investigated him to the point that they would go to a family member he had almost no relationship with, as his dad said.

If you want DNA to compare, why not go to the known family members in town, unless you want to be pretty sure this person isn't going to tell him? KWIM? IMO of course.

I think that would be the reason why, we know how LE was releasing no information, so I think they didn't want to tip him off on that chance. Still, his dad did say he kept in contact with the sister, he could of told her, she could have told him....hence him getting nervous and getting out of dodge. But I wonder when it was that JH was asked and refused DNA...maybe that was a tactic by LE and a white lie to dad. Lots of scenarios, looking forward to getting the facts!

If he did give his DNA, why did they need the Dad's? Or did he give DNA after the Dad?

I don't think that they had him on the radar screen that long at all. It's been since October 21 and that's quite a few months.

If he turns out to be the perp, then it is lucky that there was the *advertiser censored* computer, because i don't know if anyting would have happened otherwise.

It doesn't appear that the neighbors had much to say, does it?

Also, I am very confused about where they say Somer disappeared. The reports of where she was last seen are very confusing. Sibs say Gano and Solomon. Worker says Gano at 1080. Crossing guards said that they didn't see her. The last one is adamant.

McKenzie C said that she walked with her to where?

He probably didn't have the dog, if it is true the parents took the dog with them. So how did he get her in broad daylight like that with all of those people around?

Was the cop car parked there by the park that day?

I'm not saying he didn't do it. It's just that there are so many confusing reports of where she was last seen.

That's a very busy street, especially at that time of day. I guess if he was motivated, he could lure her over. Just like apparently she walked up to the workers, I guess she could have walked up to him in his yard and he invited her in.

She was obviously familiar

If he did give his DNA, why did they need the Dad's? Or did he give DNA after the Dad?

I don't think that they had him on the radar screen that long at all. It's been since October 21 and that's quite a few months.

If he turns out to be the perp, then it is lucky that there was the *advertiser censored* computer, because i don't know if anyting would have happened otherwise.

It doesn't appear that the neighbors had much to say, does it?

Also, I am very confused about where they say Somer disappeared. The reports of where she was last seen are very confusing. Sibs say Gano and Solomon. Worker says Gano at 1080. Crossing guards said that they didn't see her. The last one is adamant.

McKenzie C said that she walked with her to where?

He probably didn't have the dog, if it is true the parents took the dog with them. So how did he get her in broad daylight like that with all of those people around?

Was the cop car parked there by the park that day?

I'm not saying he didn't do it. It's just that there are so many confusing reports of where she was last seen.

That's a very busy street, especially at that time of day. I guess if he was motivated, he could lure her over. Just like apparently she walked up to the workers, I guess she could have walked up to him in his yard and he invited her in.

She was obviously familiar

Regarding confusing reports as to where Somer was last seen:

As we can see, eye witness reports are filled with error - they are the most unreliable, often leads to confusion. Children get their sequencing wrong, days, times, places. I don't find it unusual at all.

Regarding the computer with *advertiser censored*: As traumatic as it was to see kiddie *advertiser censored* for the girl, it probably will be the reason this case finds resolution. The father of the roommate believed and supported his daughter and friends through a tough ordeal with LE. If it turns out Harrell is the perp, they deserve the reward. mho

Regarding the dog: pedophiles don't need dogs - they can groom a child in as little as five minutes or a couple minutes a week for a few weeks. That's their specialty! I don't know if a dog was used or not, I'm not sure it makes a difference. mho

Regarding Harrell as the perp: Maybe when his family left with the dog, that was a trigger for him to offend. He was left virtually alone. (If he is the perp).

Look at us here on WS - 38 threads and we didn't sleuth that particular house on Gano nor did we have any pics of it. (Maybe in the beginning there was, if so, I don't remember). I've been on threads where every home on the child's way home was sleuthed to search for sex offenders, in the house or visiting. That didn't happen on this case, and I'm not sure we would have uncovered any important information if they had been sleuthed. mho

Just a few of my thoughts and as always MOO

You ask great questions Human!

LE didn't even have permission to get BTK's daughter's DNA. A medical procedure had been done on her in the past and the sample was still available. It makes total sense that there is dna in this crime. Why else would they have gotten dna from the dad, and maybe they didn't want the suspect to flee or know ahead of time as in the BTK case. There was also a neighbor of this guy who complained and even moved because he was weird and only came out when kids were coming home from school. I imagine she called in tips about him specifically in this murder case.

Yeah the way I nailed this guy on his profile and with my avatar someone might think i am speaking from a position of authority.

From the looks of your avatar doc - I would say a position of PAST authority! :crazy: lol

I don't think LE can just get DNA if they want it. I think they need a warrant if someone won't give it. Otherwise, they could go get anyone's DNA, and I don't think that is possible.

We know that Somer petted the dog, so I wonder if he talked to her on occasions?

I wonder what he said to her to get her to come with him? Into the house? It's so strange that no one noticed, because didn't someone notice her in front of the renovation house? Someone beside the worker who said that she talked to him?

That JH house looks so out in the open. I was thinking originally the dog was the lure that day, but maybe he had something else all ready to go.

I'm sure he studied and planned if it's him. I don't think it was spur of the moment. I think the opportunity presented itself, and he was ready.

If Somer would often stop to pet the dog and on that day the dog was gone...I think it's possible she may have asked JH "where's your dog?". Maybe he said, "oh, he's back here by the shed" or "he's in the back yard"...and asked Somer if she wanted to go back to pet the dog.

IMO the absence of the dog that day could have been how he got her.

Just a thought.

AS far as I know it is easier to do genetic testing on the "Y" chromosome, which is only passed from father to son and doesn't change.

ETA: But it does make sense that LE didn't want him to know.

<snipped a bit>

Look at us here on WS - 38 threads and we didn't sleuth that particular house on Gano nor did we have any pics of it. (Maybe in the beginning there was, if so, I don't remember). I've been on threads where every home on the child's way home was sleuthed to search for sex offenders, in the house or visiting. That didn't happen on this case, and I'm not sure we would have uncovered any important information if they had been sleuthed. mho

Just a few of my thoughts and as always MOO

You ask great questions Human!

It would have been so much easier if Somer had a forum, and not a zillion posts that are too frustrating to search through.

Reading the long article about Jarred, his Dad, his Mom (wth is up with her?) this guy came from a really confusing childhood.

Have I read before that sex offenders focus on the age when they were molested? Jarred's was 6-10 or so, no?

We don't know that JH was molested. But I think it is safe to say that Mommy Dearest did not see anything wrong with sex for children. Obviously, as her paramour was just waiting from the word from God to do it with the daughter.

My question, is, wasn't there another house on Gano that was searched the same time as the JH house? Or was the media mixed up and it was the Callahan house?

We don't know that JH was molested. But I think it is safe to say that Mommy Dearest did not see anything wrong with sex for children. Obviously, as her paramour was just waiting from the word from God to do it with the daughter.

My question, is, wasn't there another house on Gano that was searched the same time as the JH house? Or was the media mixed up and it was the Callahan house?

I think it was a mix up. IIRC they said the house on Gano, the Callahan house, and a vehicle. It might of got mixed up, meaning the other reno house on Gano when Somer was first abducted.

Maybe you mean the apartment building at 2040 Wells Rd., where he stayed before moving to Gano Ave.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OKGunK