FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #38

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one problem with that last statement about "the community being able to be at rest". If this was a word for word and final quotation by Corey, or is it what the media had added? I would think it was by Corey the way it reads?
I have a problem with the wording on this, because i think it should have had an addit, that explained that the community can be at rest as far as getting the right perp. in the Somer Thompson case.
But this reads as if maybe all parents can now relax and let their guard down as far as the "bad guy", that's still out there that could take their child like they took Somer. I think Corey could have added to that statement, "That parents still need to be extra careful and vigilant, as far as in knowing what their children are doing and where they are at all times, especially after what happened to Somer.
Parents need to also be extra vigilant at teaching about "stranger danger", and to never be alone, always stick to a group, no matter what.. I have drummed that into my children, and told them about the horrific things that happen to some children if they don't do these things.
Do schools have police officers go to schools and lecture children about "stranger danger" periodically?

I don't know what the exact wording was I was going from memory.
I really don't think they meant, now that we have this guy, frolic and feel safe that there is no danger in the world.
I think they meant, all those who have worried and wondered about Somer's case should feel some releif that justice will be done.
That's just my take on it.

angel, here is the link and a snip. It is the context of the article that is important. If you read the entire piece you may see that context:

Meanwhile, Corey said the child-molestation and *advertiser censored* charges Harrell faces give investigators time to keep him in jail as they work on the Somer Case.
"With Harrell being arrested on these other charges, it gives us the luxury of time to work the physical evidence in the Somer case, and that's what we are doing," Corey said.
She said investigators have time on their side and they want to get all the facts and evidence in line. Corey said Harrell is not going anywhere.
"I think the community who has grieved for Somer, has prayed and worried with all of us, can be at ease right now," Corey said.

link to entire article:
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22708293/detail.html

I have done considerable research on this case. Going beyond reading the media reports. I now believe the scope of what happened to Somer during the day time is much more serious I had ever imagined regarding her fight at school.

I believe it is impossible for JH to have taken Somer unless he was parked in his car across the street from the burnt out house. I believe this is where she was picked up in a vehicle or she did continue to run home on this day through the path from the park, crossing over grove parkway at the end of the park and continuing to run home once she exited off Briarwood street.

I know the majority does believe he killed Somer. It seems he is a sick puppy as they have video evidence of him doing unthinkable acts. But research shows there are a lot of sick puppies in the area. And I believe him to just be another one and not of her killer.

I respect that most of you feel Jarred did kill Somer. I wanted to share my thoughts regardless.

I would like to ask to share your opinion about something -- theoretically, if it was CONFIRMED that Somer never made it to the second crossing guard at Grove Park and Gano - would you still think Harrell was the killer? If she did not make this guard she would not have walked past his house leaving him only to be in his car. Which I won't rule out but I don't think that is the case for many reasons.

There is some discrepency as to wether Somer walked or ran from the group she was with. I think it was confirmed that she "walked" away. If this was the case then the widow of opportunity for the perp. would have been a much narrower one, seeing as there were a group in front and a group behind her, also lots of traffic and people along the way?
From this, i feel she must have gotten off the normal path she took to get home, and nobody saw anything???

Hi Noway, one question about this item in your very informative timeline:

January 6: Estimated date. FBI asks Harrell for DNA. (I believe article was posted on 2/17; that is date comments began. LUCEDALE, Miss. — Loretta Harrell answered a knock at her ranch-style home in the deep Mississippi woods six weeks ago to find two strangers standing outside. Source

Is that referring to JH or his dad HH? I think it's HH, who then said "he has been told his son changed his mind and gave his own sample some time later", which would be sometime between the first request and the interview with HH.

Many thanks!

thats what my thought is tooo... and maybe he was in his car and seen somer and told her he wanted her to help look for the little white dog making her think that the dog run off and he wanted help looking for it, since he knew she had a attachment to it? jmo...

Thanks, I respect everyone's opinion.

The car could have been the abduction scene. However, so could other locations.

Didn't the drainage ditch run right by his parents' house? Was it in back of the parents' house? Was this the drainage ditch where she was known to hide from her siblings, per the little friend?

He could have intercepted her there at the drainage ditch and told her the white dog was inside of his house?

Hi Noway, one question about this item in your very informative timeline:

January 6: Estimated date. FBI asks Harrell for DNA. (I believe article was posted on 2/17; that is date comments began. LUCEDALE, Miss. — Loretta Harrell answered a knock at her ranch-style home in the deep Mississippi woods six weeks ago to find two strangers standing outside. Source

Is that referring to JH or his dad HH? I think it's HH, who then said "he has been told his son changed his mind and gave his own sample some time later", which would be sometime between the first request and the interview with HH.

Many thanks!
I've edited the entries for January 6, 2010 and the unknown date in 2009.

I don't know when they asked Jarred for DNA, so I just put it at the end of 2009.

If Howard was asked ~ January 6 and Jarred was being uncooperative, then doesn't it mean they already asked Jarred?

If Jarred gave DNA sometime between January 6 (estimated) and February 17 (article printed), I need a source. Howard says that Jarred gave DNA but LE has not verified AFAIK.

Thank you, and let me know if the changes clarify a bit.

BBL

ETA
I removed some "he" references and put in the name.

Has anyone heard or know if the unnamed known female child is getting counselling?

If you read the Grove Park/Clay County schools code of conduct manual regarding discipline - you will see that ST would have been removed from the classroom for physical fighting. Then it lists a variety of actions that can/will be taken. It states that sometimes more than one will be implemented. It also states that is MANDATORY to alert the parents. I think a few things COULD have happened. Though, I do believe for reasons that could be considered "rumor" here -- that Somer DID IN FACT sit in the office for the remainder of the day after the fight in school. So let's keep it as opinion not to start anything, k? Just keep it theoretical.

1) Somer is in the office - waiting for a parent or person to pick her up and the bell rings, she gets antsy and just decides to bolt out of there without permission to be released. Therefore, being behind as reported.
2) Somer is in the office - the bell rings - she is waiting - and she is told she can walk home with her siblings as nobody is able to leave work to pick her up. Therefore, being behind as reported.

--- Somer runs up Miller and catches up with her siblings on Gano. Her sister gets on her about her "fight" - she runs up ahead upset. She was reported being seen at the tanks - she waits for them to walk by them. She then starts walking again on Gano - her siblings are at Grove Parkway crossing with the guard, who did state to the media S was not with them. In the meantime the kids are looking behind to see if they can spot their sister - who is keeping an eye out and ducks really quickly into the burnt out Gano house property -- says "hi" to the guys as she stays out of site. S walks back out to Gano - Runs across the street into the park parking lot.

I think a variety of things COULD have happened from here -- where MC walk factored in - it could have been anywhere in between.

But IF the reports are true that the dogs lost her scent right before Grove Parkway - my guess is she got into a vehicle --- I will not go beyond that as it is not popular.

This is also not a blind theory on my part. But the school policy for me sealed the deal with all the other things that had been factored in.

angel, here is the link and a snip. It is the context of the article that is important. If you read the entire piece you may see that context:

link to entire article:
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22708293/detail.html

I did read it, thankyou. Yes, i remember her saying for the people who have grieved about Somer etc. So she is by admission of her statement saying they got the person that killed Somer, i can't see what she is saying otherwise?

Look at the map on Gano -- see how close the last driveway in the park is to Grove Parkway??

Can you expand on that?

With being disciplined in school!

HEY PS - I have a BIG question for some of you Florida residents!!!!

While reading this manual it says they administer corporal punishment to students in the the form of PADDLING - OMG - I thought it was a joke!!! Anyone ever heard of this????

EDIT TO ADD: It says IF it is chosen to be used in your school -- I thought that was outlawed.

From what i have studied about this case it says that Somer was normally driven to school by a neighbour, but on that day could not take her.
In lieu of that it seems she didn't walk that way often, and how many times did she pat this dog? Was she with other children at the times she did stop by to pat the white dog??? Did she pat the dog and go near that house outside of school hours?

While reading this manual it says they administer corporal punishment to students in the the form of PADDLING - OMG - I thought it was a joke!!! Anyone ever heard of this????

EDIT TO ADD: It says IF it is chosen to be used in your school -- I thought that was outlawed.

Goodness!

I've edited the entries for January 6, 2010 and the unknown date in 2009.

I don't know when they asked Jarred for DNA, so I just put it at the end of 2009.

If he was asked January 6 and Jarred was being uncooperative, then doesn't it mean they already asked him?

If he gave DNA sometime between January 6 (estimated) and February 17 (article printed), I need a source. Howard says that Jarred gave DNA but LE has not verified AFAIK.

Thank you, and let me know if the changes clarify a bit.

BBL

Thanks, that clarifies it well. We don't even know if LE ever asked JH for (or got) a swab, true that.

Per HH he says that he was told by LE that JH was asked for a DNA sample and declined (so that'd be prior to Jan. 6 when LE visited HH), and also that JH later did give a sample (so most likely between Jan. 6 and the interview date of 2/17).

From what i have studied about this case it says that Somer was normally driven to school by a neighbour, but on that day could not take her.
In lieu of that it seems she didn't walk that way often, and how many times did she pat this dog? Was she with other children at the times she did stop by to pat the white dog??? Did she pat the dog and go near that house outside of school hours?

Somer and kids received rides in the morning. The kids did not receive consistent rides HOME daily - it varied. They were DRIVEN to school this day. Being that this was a monday and the route would not have been walked for two days at least including the morning version. The fact the dogs picked her scent is significant - only to loose it right before Grove Parkway.

BBM

NSC:

I see that in a later post, you explained that you were talking about disciplin in school. From your original post, the one I was asking you to expand on, that was not mentioned and I did not know that's what you were talking about. Sorry.

As far as the paddling, I think it still goes on in some schools in our country. I know for a fact, private schools do it in my area as my nephews have found out on several occasions.

Somer and kids received rides in the morning. The kids did not receive consistent rides HOME daily - it varied. They were DRIVEN to school this day. Being that this was a monday and the route would not have been walked for two days at least including the morning version. The fact the dogs picked her scent is significant - only to loose it right before Grove Parkway.

Oh, i see. Thanks for claryfying that.

I'm sure if its being stated that they got the right person in J.H. for this crime, then they must have plenty of evidence to nail him as the perp. They are just not telling the general public what! Maybe even without the DNA, they still have enough forensic evidence? If they don't have enough evidence, and are saying they have the right person in this case, then they are going to look pretty stupid in the long run, when it goes to trial. To my way of looking at it they must have a pretty airtight case!
But, who knows? I have heard all kinds of stories about innocent people ending up in prison.

BBM

NSC:

I see that in a later post, you explained that you were talking about disciplin in school. From your original post, the one I was asking you to expand on, that was not mentioned and I did not know that's what you were talking about. Sorry.

As far as the paddling, I think it still goes on in some schools in our country. I know for a fact, private schools do it in my area as my nephews have found out on several occasions.

Now I'm confused Kimberly! Where is it that says Somer was in a physical fight and that mom Diena was called? She is in first grade - do they actually take children out of the class room for the day as punishment - call mom - and handle it like the child is an 8th grade bully? I've NEVER once read this is what happened and with all the little nuances about the walk home, I'm sure we would have heard that the school yanked her from the classroom for a fight and made her sit in an office waiting for mom. And the thought that the school can 'hit' children is outrageous! MOO MHO

If you read the Grove Park/Clay County schools code of conduct manual regarding discipline - you will see that ST would have been removed from the classroom for physical fighting.

I didn't realize the fight Somer was involved in that day was physical. I always thought it was verbal - a spat. I haven't followed this case as closely as many of you, so please forgive me. Does anyone have a link handy to some reading material I could peruse that describes the physicality of the fight?

TIA
BeanE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads