Found Deceased FL - Tammy Alexander, 16, Brooksville, 8 Nov 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Gary Craig is doing a follow-up podcast on Tammy Jo scheduled to air on November 10. I don't know what time it will be.

Also, there is someone trying to collect money using Tammy Jo's name, saying it will be for a scholarship. The family has said this is not true.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder why they were vague about the dates of both her being in Georgia and the bf last sighting at the apartment in St. Pete. Also wondering what about his tale of their correspondence has them believing she was certainly there. They must have the original letters with stamped postage, maybe even a letterhead from the rainbow prison ministries. I surely wouldn't just take his word for it. With no known sightings in those five months the story of the meeting in st. pete would seem almost manufactured if it weren't for the north Ga lead.

I believe you're talking about episodes 6 and 7 of the podcast. Episode 6: Runaway Kevin is in the beginning, then again at 12:00. With episode 7, they start talking about it at 13:07. I'd have to listen to them better but can't do it now.

Had an issue this morning with the podcast, Democrat & Chronicle was asking me to pay to access the podcast. Gary Craig and Veronica Volk gave me a new link. If anyone has issues with the episode 7 link below, you can listen to the podcast on stitcher, Sound cloud, itunes or google play

Episode 7 Finding Tammy Jo's Killer - With the 2015 announcement that “Cali Doe” had been identified as Tammy Jo Alexander, the investigation into the 1979 homicide moved into a new phase: Trying to find her killer.

Investigators have tried to rebuild parts of Tammy Jo Alexander’s final year, revisiting her cross-country hitchhiking trip as well as the time she spent, apparently as a volunteer, at a ministry for parolees in the mountains of Georgia.

The investigation continues to this day, as tips continue to come in for police.

Gary Craig is doing a follow-up podcast on Tammy Jo scheduled to air on November 10. I don't know what time it will be.

I'll update with a time as soon as I hear as I'm not sure if it will post at 8am like the rest. Gary hopes to know by Monday

I'll update with a time as soon as I hear as I'm not sure if it will post at 8am like the rest. Gary hopes to know by Monday

Posted - You may get the pay wall message come up; at the end of it it says no thanks I'm not looking to subscribe today, click that. If anyone has issues with the episode 9 link below, you can listen to the podcast on stitcher, Sound cloud, itunes or google play

Episode 9: Three men tested for DNA match - 2 hours ago - 37 YEARS LATER, THE SEARCH FOR TAMMY JO'S KILLER CONTINUES -
l come in regularly about the fatal shooting of Tammy Jo Alexander, a 16-year-old from Florida found dead in a Caledonia, Livingston County, cornfield on the chilly damp morning of Nov. 10, 1979.

What happened in the decades after is now widely known: The girl, shot twice, would remain unidentified for years, despite the untiring efforts by the Livingston County Sheriff's Office and, particularly, now-retired Sheriff John York, to give her a name and find her killer. An unusual convergence of events — involving Tammy Jo's closest teenage friend, a long-ago boyfriend, her sister, an online community of men and women dedicated to help locate missing people, and law enforcement in two states — led to her identification in January 2015.

Livingston County Sheriff's Investigator Brad Schneider said he regularly talks to investigators with the Hernando County, Florida, Sheriff's Office, which, along with the FBI, also has been part of the investigation.

"As a matter of fact, one (tip) was received this week," he said in a recent interview. "I got one ... last week. The FBI has received a couple as well.

" ... Within the last couple weeks we've received several tips that we're still working on," he said.

DNA testing shows that a male genetic sample on the clothing of Tammy Jo. That sample was sent to an FBI lab in October, 2016 to test against the DNA of three men who knew her.

From what I understood, as well as having lived in that area years ago. If the family had reported her missing in the first place then the search would not have gone on for so long to begin with. How could any child not be reported missing by any family member is what I find disgust with, the only reason any information came to light was due to not only an old friend wondering on her whereabouts but mainly due to this website. Had any of her family cared enough to fill out reports. This could have had a different ending to such a tragic story. I commend the Sheriff and the office whom worked for years to solve her murder. Many would have given up many many years ago but they kept going..They should get respect and praise not disgust.

From what I understood, as well as having lived in that area years ago. If the family had reported her missing in the first place then the search would not have gone on for so long to begin with. How could any child not be reported missing by any family member is what I find disgust with, the only reason any information came to light was due to not only an old friend wondering on her whereabouts but mainly due to this website. Had any of her family cared enough to fill out reports. This could have had a different ending to such a tragic story. I commend the Sheriff and the office whom worked for years to solve her murder. Many would have given up many many years ago but they kept going..They should get respect and praise not disgust.

I don't understand your comment that the Livingston County Sheriff's office is getting disrespected and not praised. By who? The Livingston County Sheriff's office worked their butts off trying to solve Cali/ Tammy's case.

As for her family not reporting her missing, the family was told there was a report filed. Tammy Jo's mother is deceased, so we are not able to get her side of the story. Tammy Jo was her mothers "golden child", I honestly do not feel she would have done nothing.

Have you listened to the podcast? Her sister Pamela said Tammy Jo was on probation; one would think that her probation officer knew she was missing. IMO, there had to have been a report filed somewhere like her mother said. Unfortunately, the probation records are lost. It's possible records were purged after Tammy Jo turned 18 like what happened in the case of Michelle Knight held captive by Arielle Castro.

You can listen to the podcast on stitcher, Sound cloud, itunes or google play
Finding Tammy Jo Alexander - findingtammyjo.com
Democrat & Chronicle

1979 Caledonia NY Jane Doe Unidentified Teen - Posted August 10, 2016

Unfortunately, with every article that comes out we have people once again saying the family did not file a missing person's report. I personally BELIEVE there was a report. Tammy Jo was her mother's golden child, I do not believe she would not have done something. You need to ENTIRELY READ THIS POST to see WHY I believe THERE WAS A REPORT.

Please do not come here BASHING Tammy's family, Tammy's mother is deceased, she can not tell us what happened. PAMELA and ANY FAMILY THAT COMES HERE DOES NOT DESERVE TO HAVE PEOPLE BERATE THEM. While they thought LE were doing their job in relation to her missing, like every family of the missing, they hoped Tammy was alive, living her life away from the abuse of her mother.

Those of you that listened to the podcast #findingtammyjo (link below) know that her sister Pamela said Tammy Jo was on probation. As a minor, she was a ward of the court, and as such, the probation officer is responsible for periodically checking up on her. If he/she can't account for her whereabouts, then it is the responsibility of the probation officer to file a missing person report, and notify the local authorities. Unfortunately the probation records do not exist any more.

Pamela has said that her mother told them she filed a report and was getting updates from LE. Hernando Sheriff has said there was no report found with them, that does not mean anything, it's possible the report was filed with the police department in her town but purged on her 18th birthday. It's been done in other cases.

If you've been following the case closely you'll also know at one time a Livingston County police officer relocated to Tammy's town, I believe in 1980. It's said he hung up fliers in her town back then. If family, friends, teachers or even the probation officer did see it, they didn't recognize the image as being Tammy.

Here is an article with video that we've posted before, but I want to post it again -
Tammy Jo Alexander's family is disputing claims their family never filed a missing person report - By Jacqueline Ingles posted 5:04 PM, Jan 27, 2015 - updated 5:20 PM, Jan 27, 2015

"Beyond a shadow of a doubt there was a report," said Pamela Dyson, Tammy's sister....

........Tammy's family says not only did they make a missing person report but they recall deputies coming to their home and taking Tammy's hairbrush to use for DNA comparisons.

"I do not think it [the report] was taken seriously because she was a runaway, she had runaway before," Dyson explained.........

.........."We had a volatile mother. She did prescription medication and there just was a lot of turmoil," Dyson recalled.

Still, Dyson says her parents were constantly updating her siblings, all of which no longer lived at home, about Tammy's disappearance. It was a topic that would frequently come up during family reunions, according to Dyson.

Up until the DNA confirmation, Dyson held out hope her sister 'escaped' and found a better life.

Dyson said she trusted her mother and stepfather when they said they filed a report and did not follow up personally because she felt it was 'being handled.'....

........."Maybe it is my naive status, but to me, when you file a report and over the years, you are given updates by your mother and your stepfather, you feel it is being handled and taken care of. You have your faith in the law enforcement that they are doing their job. They will contact you when something is found out," Dyson explained.......

..Again, Tammy's family says detectives gave them excuses as to why a report could not be found, pointing to records during that time being on paper, not electronic.

"They told us it could have been purged," said Hailey Peat, the victim's cousin....

......Tammy's family also wants members of the public to know they launched their own search and need people to understand their limited resources.

With no internet, social media or cell phones, the family says they looked in phone books, searched the area with Tammy's boyfriend and would talk amongst the town people to get updates.

In the mid-90s, when technology advanced, Peat began searching the internet for Tammy. She said she had no luck finding her and knew that her cousin could have changed her name.

The family says they never gave up hope.

"We love her," Dyson said.

Dyson explained with Tammy's parents deceased and most of the elder members of the family passing, the key people who filed the report are gone and getting to the truth may never happen.

"There are three sides to every story. There is my side, their side and the truth," Peat said......

3 men tested for DNA match in Tammy Jo homicide - By Gary Craig - 8:44 a.m. EST November 10, 2016
DNA testing shows that a male genetic sample on the clothing of Tammy Jo Alexander does not match three men it was checked against.

Livingston County Sheriff's Investigator Brad Schneider said an FBI lab sent the results to the Sheriff's Office last month.

"We do have the DNA results back from the lab and we did not come up with a match," he said.

This was not a complete surprise. Law enforcement asked three men who had known Alexander to provide samples. There was not evidence linking them to the November 1979 homicide, and the three men each agreed to provide a DNA swab for comparison.

Is the unknown male DNA sample found with Tammy in codis?

Also, can we stop the debate on whether or not a missing persons report was filed? She's now identified and it's time to focus on finding the person responsible. Let's not let her murderer come second to whether or not a missing persons report was filed.

Is the unknown male DNA sample found with Tammy in codis?

Good question. IDK. It is not clear whether the DNA sample even came from the perp. It is entirely possible that the DNA came from a member of LE or an evidence technician, because in 1979 (pre-DNA), they didn't handle evidence as carefully as they do now.

If they got a full DNA profile, it would be most definitely put into CODIS. It would take some time to run and find any possible hits. Not like CSI on TV. If they got a partial, it would not go into CODIS. But could be run at a State to State level. A partial can include or exclude people, depending on how many markers you get. HTH.

And, interestingly, the husband/wife officers of Rainbow Prison Ministry once lived in the Tampa/Hernando area... and another officer came from Bushnell. All pretty close to Tammy Jo Alexander's area of Florida. Also, in what has to be an eerie coincidence, the President of the firm once lived on Alexander Street.

Maybe worth noting(?)... both Attica correctional and Wende correctional are nearby and easily accessed by Rts 5 and/or 20.

Great point!! I live in the area, but did not in 1979. Initially I mentally visualized the possible FL to NY north/western route of 80 to 380 to 81 to I86(17)--- and thought perhaps they got off of 86w onto 390N heading towards Rochester instead of Buffalo? If what someone said earlier about 390 being non-existent at that time is in fact true-- You could get off I86 in Arkport/Hornell on 36N and take that straight to the Rochester area. Or one of the prisons I suppose.

I searched but didn't see this link posted before fwiw...

Somers filmmaker seeks funds for murder mystery
April 29, 2016

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/somers/articles/somers-filmmaker-seeks-funds-for-murder-mystery-d

I coincidentally spoke to this guy yesterday and they are still working on this. Currently in the process of putting out a new website to reach larger national audience. GoFund Me still active and he mentioned some pre-production stuff already in the works. Stated they hope to have some more news to report on the project by the end of the year.

Ziba, how do you know Tammy had no dental work?

Your question was directed to Ziba, but I can answer that. The Livingston County Sheriff disclosed that before she was ID'd. She had no dental work, and some deterioration of her rear molars. The gunshot was to her forehead (just above her right eye), not her temple. The second shot was to her back after she was dragged into the field from the roadside.

That there were no reported sightings by truckers prior to her death was also verified with the LCSO prior to her ID.

Your question was directed to Ziba, but I can answer that. The Livingston County Sheriff disclosed that before she was ID'd. She had no dental work, and some deterioration of her rear molars. The gunshot was to her forehead (just above her right eye), not her temple. The second shot was to her back after she was dragged into the field from the roadside.

That there were no reported sightings by truckers prior to her death was also verified with the LCSO prior to her ID.

Hmmmm. No reported sightings by truckers verified per LCSO... Yet 2016 saw a material endeavor by the FBI to obtain information from truckers. Both aspects understandable. I wonder how accurate, valid, and reliable the so-called trucker angle is.

I came across Richard Riesenberg/ Reisenberg who had killed his wife and son in Queens NY 1971 but was not guilty because of reason of insanity .. He was sent to Creedmore Hospital where he met Judith Anne Brown.. He escaped In April 1977 and took her with him..they both have never been seen again. Don't know if Judith had the amd fate his wife Diane did.. But the photo of the man that was last seen with Tammy Jo Alexander sort of reminds me of Richard with the glasses and the hair. I don't know if he has changed his identity or what.. but I just thought I would share this guy.. since he murdered his wife and child and the woman he was last with has never been seen again. here is a link to her story also.https://andtheywere.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/vanished-with-a-killer-judith-ann-brown/.. CarlTammyFlier[1].jpg275c8e_780855464a9c4b908894d1c8a7dbf567[1].jpg

attachment.php
attachment.php

The first (left) image was taken by serial killer Rodney Alcala, aka the 'Dating Game Killer', who committed violent crimes and murders in California and New York. On right is Tammy Jo Alexander, the first (left) photo bears an alarming resemblance, in my opinion to that of Tammy Jo Alexander. Both have similar noses, hair and lips. Alcala had numerous photos of women, girls and children in his possession at the time of his arrest and at a future date, one of his murder victims was identified in his photo collection. While Tammy Jo was a native of Florida, prior to her murder she had been hitchhiking around the country and California and New York were some of her destinations. Evidence from her body, which was found in New York, suggested she had visited California due to forensic pollen analysis. While the method of death in Tammy Jo's case does not match that of Rodney Alcala, these connections and the photo almost have me convinced that she may have at one point come into contact with this serial killer. Whether he killed her or not I am not certain of, but the sketch of a possible suspect does seem to have curly hair, similar to Alcala's. Tammy Jo's body was found on November 8th, 1979, resources state that Rodney Alcala was arrested for the murder he would be first convicted of in late 1979, but no exact date was given making it possible he may have not yet been apprehended on the date of Tammy Jo's death and therefore might have been able to commit this crime. I have provided a tip to the Orange County (via tipsubmit) department but I'm not sure if the site I used to send it actually sends tips to police departments. If anyone else would like to share their thoughts on the photos I would love it, or if someone could possible find out when Alcala was arrested in 1979 it would be greatly appreciated.
-C

Attachments

• gal-alcala-13-jpg.jpg
    gal-alcala-13-jpg.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 174
  • tumblr_inline_o8lfknHsYt1u5tphq_500.jpg
    tumblr_inline_o8lfknHsYt1u5tphq_500.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 172

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online