FL FL - Trenton Duckett, 2, Leesburg, 27 Aug 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I absolutely agree that "there is a reasonable likelihood that Melinda Duckett's experience with Nancy Grace was a contributing cause of her suicide."

That said, why did Melinda agree to go on the program? Nancy Grace is terrifying - I don't necessarily understand why Melinda would talk to her unless maybe she thought doing so could help find her son.

She talked to her because she thought it would make her look less guilty. She killed herself because she was guilty. It's simple as that.

This is an example of the ridiculous types of lawsuits clogging our courtrooms...

You know, she probably didn't. She struck me as the type to watch reality TV or MTV, than the type to keep up with any current events.

I wonder if Melinda might have gotten away with it all (if she was guilty). No body has been found and there wasn't much evidence in the home, at least not that LE reported. I agree that the NG show might have had something to do with what happened and that NG has no business carrying on in such a histrionic way to the parents of any missing child since if they are actually guilty they're nuttier than fruitcakes and possibly sociopaths who could do something else. Her guests should watch their mouths, too. I think it's really ridiculous to hear some of the things they say when there's investigation still going on into poor missing children.

I wonder if Melinda might have gotten away with it all (if she was guilty). No body has been found and there wasn't much evidence in the home, at least not that LE reported. I agree that the NG show might have had something to do with what happened and that NG has no business carrying on in such a histrionic way to the parents of any missing child since if they are actually guilty they're nuttier than fruitcakes and possibly sociopaths who could do something else. Her guests should watch their mouths, too. I think it's really ridiculous to hear some of the things they say when there's investigation still going on into poor missing children.

I've only watched her once of twice, but I am no fan of Nancy Grace. Also, her voice is like nails down a chalkboard, which, come to think of it, matches her overall energy pretty well.

I saw that show, and all NG did was try to pin Duckett down on her timeline. If the timeline wasn't a problem, then Duckett wouldn't have been stressed. IMO Duckett is solely responsible for her own suicide AND the disappearance of her son. NG was right to question her closely. Why shouldn't she? Should she have just said, "Oh well, you aren't making sense, but I'll just buy whatever you say"? Ridiculous.

I'm no expert on the Duckett case, but I've seen NG buy a lot of "whatever you say," especially in the Cummings case.

My opinion only

Harvard Professor Says Nancy Grace Was Contributor
In Florida Woman's Suicide

(AP) OCALA, Fla. (AP) - A Harvard professor says CNN Headline News host Nancy Grace's relentless questioning of a Florida mother three years ago contributed to her suicide, according to a filing in the family's wrongful death case.

Grace launched aggressive nightly coverage of 2-year-old Trenton Duckett's case shortly after he disappeared in 2006, usually with a collection of analysts. When the boy's mother, Melinda Duckett, appeared by telephone two weeks into the case, speculation was beginning to narrow on her possible involvement.

Rest of Article: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/06/ap/national/main5915017.shtml

I absolutely agree that "there is a reasonable likelihood that Melinda Duckett's experience with Nancy Grace was a contributing cause of her suicide."

That said, why did Melinda agree to go on the program? Nancy Grace is terrifying - I don't necessarily understand why Melinda would talk to her unless maybe she thought doing so could help find her son.
It seems to me that Melinda thought it'd be a soft interview and NG wouldn't challenge anything she said. After all, she'd contacted a local radio station before hand almost bragging she'd be on. On the other hand, if Melinda was completely innocent, why not answer the questions regarding the timeline? I think Melinda's basic problem was that no one believed Trenton had been taken out of the bedroom window while she and her friends were in the living room of that small apartment. I personally don't think being on NG's show caused Melinda's death. MOO

It seems to me that Melinda thought it'd be a soft interview and NG wouldn't challenge anything she said. After all, she'd contacted a local radio station before hand almost bragging she'd be on. On the other hand, if Melinda was completely innocent, why not answer the questions regarding the timeline? I think Melinda's basic problem was that no one believed Trenton had been taken out of the bedroom window while she and her friends were in the living room of that small apartment. I personally don't think being on NG's show caused Melinda's death. MOO
I share in your opinion. When the story first broke of the disappearance, I followed it fairly closely.

None of those shows, especially Nancy's, usually have parents of missing kids on because they suspect the parents of foul play. They are usually on to give them wider publicity, to show the kid's face, to describe the situation, etc., etc. so that people throughout the country can keep an eye out for the missing kid, or person. And, in that interview, Nancy was asking her about how and where she and Trenton spent that day, thinking that remote cameras might catch someone stalking them. Or that by knowing where they had been other people in the same area might have seen something suspicious.

Melinda was being extremely evasive for someone who supposedly wanted help finding her kid. In fact, when I saw the interview which she held in that park near her home, the park with the lake and the alligators, I felt strongly that the whole thing was engineered by Melinda and that she had fed him to the alligators there at that park. That this was a kind of final, in your face, appearance. She was nasty, toxic person.

And, this Bursztajn dude is just another publicity seeking opinionated "expert" who can and will say whatever the person who hires him, wants him to say. Read his articles, he is all over the place.

From an article on the Psychology Behind Unspeakable Crimes: "Childhood abuse, mayhem in the media, genetics, even lead and toxic chemical exposure -- just some of the many theories of why some may be prone to explosive acts of violence.

But it's not just outside forces. More importantly, it's what's happening on the inside.

“There is almost invariably some source of pain, and then the question is how does the person react to the pain?” explains Harvard criminal psychiatrist Dr. Harold Bursztajn.

Bursztajn has published extensively on mental health and the law. And some of the worst of the worst have sat in his office. He says a pain, shame, blame cycle exists in his patients.

And they fall somewhere in what he calls a spectrum of mad and bad.

“On one end of the spectrum you have people who are bad and on the other end of the spectrum you have people who by no stretch of the imagination would want to hurt anyone but they are losing control, they are overwhelmed, they are living in the delusional system,” Dr. Bursztajn explains.

Dr. Bursztajn says some people are so delusional they hear voices and simply can't differentiate right and wrong. Others know exactly what they are doing and seem to relish it."

Mad or bad, where was Melinda on the scale? That's the question that should be asked here. IMO.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/special_reports/Psychology_Behind_Unthinkable_Crimes_051409

I share in your opinion. When the story first broke of the disappearance, I followed it fairly closely.

None of those shows, especially Nancy's, usually have parents of missing kids on because they suspect the parents of foul play. They are usually on to give them wider publicity, to show the kid's face, to describe the situation, etc., etc. so that people throughout the country can keep an eye out for the missing kid, or person. And, in that interview, Nancy was asking her about how and where she and Trenton spent that day, thinking that remote cameras might catch someone stalking them. Or that by knowing where they had been other people in the same area might have seen something suspicious.

Melinda was being extremely evasive for someone who supposedly wanted help finding her kid. In fact, when I saw the interview which she held in that park near her home, the park with the lake and the alligators, I felt strongly that the whole thing was engineered by Melinda and that she had fed him to the alligators there at that park. That this was a kind of final, in your face, appearance. She was nasty, toxic person.

(respectfully snipped for space)
I also believe the initial purpose of Nancy's questions was to help establish if somebody could've been following Melinda that day. But Melinda's evasiveness changed the tone to NG being suspicious, which would be natural. MD didn't act like someone whose child really had been abducted. I also agree about the park and alligators and have always wondered if the reason little Trenton has never been found was because there was nothing to be found. :cry: MOO

Professor: Grace contributed to Duckett's suicide
Updated: Sunday, 06 Dec 2009, 10:43 AM EST
Published : Sunday, 06 Dec 2009, 10:43 AM EST

OCALA, FL - (AP) -- A Harvard professor says CNN Headline News host Nancy Grace's relentless questioning of a Florida mother three years ago contributed to her suicide, according to a filing in the family's wrongful death case.

Grace launched aggressive nightly coverage of 2-year-old Trenton Duckett's case shortly after he disappeared in 2006, usually with a collection of analysts. When the boy's mother, Melinda Duckett,
appeared by telephone two weeks into the case, speculation was beginning to narrow on her possible involvement.

snipped

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/state/duckett-suicide-nancy-grace-120609

In defense of HLN's Nancy Grace
http://www.examiner.com/x-33505-Nashville-Crime-Examiner~y2009m12d18-In-defense-of-HLNs-Nancy-Grace

Many people argue that it was not Grace's questions that were over the line, but the way she asked those questions. Grace is a very passionate advocate for crime victims and that stems from the murder of her fiancée in the early 80's. Everyone knows that Nancy Grace is tough, passionate and a sharp former prosecutor, even if Melinda Duckett was living under a rock and did not know, she was being represented by an attorney at the time she went on Nancy Grace's show. Any competent criminal attorney knows about Nancy Grace and her style, you would think the attorney would have warned Melinda Duckett that Grace is tough and doesn't back down?

In the end, this all boils down to personal responsibility. Melinda Duckett was a grown adult woman, she is responsible for her own actions, not Nancy Grace. The sad part of this tragic case is that while people love to bash Nancy Grace, they forget that Trenton Duckett has been missing for 3 years. He is the real victim in this, not Melinda Duckett. Instead of suing, you would think Melinda's family would rather focus their attention finding Trenton instead of trying to cash in on this with lawsuits?

[snip]

How did Dr. Bursztajn come to the conclusion that Grace caused or was a factor in Melinda Duckett killing herself? Did he ever consider the fact that Melinda Duckett was an already mentally disturbed mother? Florida Department of Children and Families released a timeline which shows a history of Melinda harming Trenton and herself. She had threatened to hurt her child, and was a "cutter", the report details that she had scars on her arm from cutting herself. The DCF report also details how Melinda held a knife to her son Trenton, and threatened to kill him. After those incidents Trenton was removed from Melinda's custody for a period of time while Melinda went through psychological exams and received mental health help. To read more about the DCF report on Melinda and Trenton Duckett go here: http://www.wesh.com/news/9948453/detail.html

In defense of HLN's Nancy Grace
http://www.examiner.com/x-33505-Nashville-Crime-Examiner~y2009m12d18-In-defense-of-HLNs-Nancy-Grace

Many people argue that it was not Grace's questions that were over the line, but the way she asked those questions. Grace is a very passionate advocate for crime victims and that stems from the murder of her fiancée in the early 80's. Everyone knows that Nancy Grace is tough, passionate and a sharp former prosecutor, even if Melinda Duckett was living under a rock and did not know, she was being represented by an attorney at the time she went on Nancy Grace's show. Any competent criminal attorney knows about Nancy Grace and her style, you would think the attorney would have warned Melinda Duckett that Grace is tough and doesn't back down?

In the end, this all boils down to personal responsibility. Melinda Duckett was a grown adult woman, she is responsible for her own actions, not Nancy Grace. The sad part of this tragic case is that while people love to bash Nancy Grace, they forget that Trenton Duckett has been missing for 3 years. He is the real victim in this, not Melinda Duckett. Instead of suing, you would think Melinda's family would rather focus their attention finding Trenton instead of trying to cash in on this with lawsuits?

[snip]

How did Dr. Bursztajn come to the conclusion that Grace caused or was a factor in Melinda Duckett killing herself? Did he ever consider the fact that Melinda Duckett was an already mentally disturbed mother? Florida Department of Children and Families released a timeline which shows a history of Melinda harming Trenton and herself. She had threatened to hurt her child, and was a "cutter", the report details that she had scars on her arm from cutting herself. The DCF report also details how Melinda held a knife to her son Trenton, and threatened to kill him. After those incidents Trenton was removed from Melinda's custody for a period of time while Melinda went through psychological exams and received mental health help. To read more about the DCF report on Melinda and Trenton Duckett go here: http://www.wesh.com/news/9948453/detail.html

Let's start with Josh's own words about the DCF reports.

http://duckettbucket.blogspot.com/2009/08/joshua-duckett-i-was-indeed-being.html

Hi Curious_mom, I admire your standing behind Trenton's mother as it is always our hope they should always be protectors of their children.

IMO suicide portends guilt in a case like this, so I would agree with the detective on the case. I just don't think there are many parents of missing children who commit suicide.

I temper that with John Walsh's comment the other day. He said he was put thru endless scrutiny, lost his job, filed for bankrupsy {either that or was almost peniless} and was divorced from his wife. All normal happenings for the parents of missing children with the strain and stress it causes. xox

Have you thought that maybe she could have been murdered? Bill Eubank was given a polygraph because they thought that he could have murdered Melinda. But of course he didn't. So that suggests that maybe they weren't too sure it looked like a suicide. There were two shots. One into the doorway/ceiling of the closet and one to the left side of her chin, which is unusual for a right handed person, why not her right side? And why would she leave "suicide notes" in her car where her loaded 20 gauge shotgun was kept and opt to use her grandfather's 50 year old 12 gauge shotgun that hadn't been shot in over 20 years? And with birdshot that was just as old! And why would she leave her suicide notes in her car rather than on the counter? She left a sticky note that said: Laying down for a quick nap, I'll eat when I get up. You can see the actual note here:

http://duckettbucket.blogspot.com/2009/11/yellow-post-it-note.html

Sometimes, you never find out. All we go on is logic and love. Prayers.

Poor Trenton....

I am once again reminded that in sooooo many sad cases the DCF has already "been there, done nothing"...

Trenton...Gabriel....Marc...Shannon Dedrick...Aveion.and on and on
Shania Davis's Biomom was also under investigation (about her other child I think)

in every case I think the kids should have been removed from these dangerous and unfit parents...but it keeps happening

I guess in many of these "missing" child cases they don't even have to ask the parents for description/picture of the kid, the DCF (or whatever other states call them) probably has all that info right there in their files

Really sad and very discouraging ....think back...so many of these "cases" involve parent/parents well known to the state social workers

This is such a sad story of little Trenton..and those woods/forest in Ocala area are so huge, it is just mind boggling. Reading the thread about little Gabriel makes me think of poor Trenton...and not in a good way. Very similar really :(

Poor Trenton....

I am once again reminded that in sooooo many sad cases the DCF has already "been there, done nothing"...

Trenton...Gabriel....Marc...Shannon Dedrick...Aveion.and on and on
Shania Davis's Biomom was also under investigation (about her other child I think)

in every case I think the kids should have been removed from these dangerous and unfit parents...but it keeps happening

I guess in many of these "missing" child cases they don't even have to ask the parents for description/picture of the kid, the DCF (or whatever other states call them) probably has all that info right there in their files

Really sad and very discouraging ....think back...so many of these "cases" involve parent/parents well known to the state social workers

This is such a sad story of little Trenton..and those woods/forest in Ocala area are so huge, it is just mind boggling. Reading the thread about little Gabriel makes me think of poor Trenton...and not in a good way. Very similar really :(

Yes, the Ocala forest is huge.

See here: http://duckettbucket.blogspot.com/2009/10/lost-in-ocala-national-forest.html

But Melinda didn't drop Trenton off there (Remember the Wendy's witness) (or anywhere IMO) but too look at Melinda's Sunday drive read here:

http://duckettbucket.blogspot.com/2009/10/why-didnt-le-believe-melinda.html

And notice how the cell phone pings (much like a GPS) match the map exactly.

Also here is her timeline for Sunday:

http://duckettbucket.blogspot.com/2009/10/sunday-timeline.html

Trenton Duckett’s Grandfather Loses Death Row Appeal

A former Mascotte Police officer has lost an appeal that would have gotten him off death row for murdering an 11-year-old girl.

[snip]

In his appeal, Duckett, 51, challenged the testimony of some witnesses and evidence in the case against him.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, however, the court ruled all of Duckett’s claims “lacked merit.”

Duckett is the grandfather of Trenton Duckett, who has been missing since 2006.

He has been in prison since Trenton’s father, Joshua, was a child.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/...father_loses_appeal_to_get_off_death_row.html

I didn't know which thread to post this on so I just came here. Does anyone remember that case that came up a couple (maybe a few) years ago about that little boy that came up missing...I can't remember his name but apparently his mom went on NG and like the day after that she commited suicide? A lot of ppl blamed NG for that. Does anyone know whatever happened in that case? I mean was the little boy ever found?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat
Back