Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m having my kitchen cabinets redone this week, so I had to remove everything out of all the cabinets. I can not believe how much kitchen stuff I have accumulated. Some things in the back of my cabinets that I had totally forgotten about.

I will be sending quite a few things to Goodwill instead of putting them back.

I had noticed that one of my friends has very few kitchen items, and so I told her everything I was planning to take to Goodwill and asked if she would like anything. She told me she keeps her kitchen very simple and uncluttered on purpose, for example, she has only four dinner plates, four salad plates, four glasses, and two mugs. Just one set of baking dishes and one baking sheet.

Now I am re-evaluating how many things I really need. I still cook and bake for friends and get togethers frequently, even so I don’t need all the bakeware and dishes I have accumulated.

I went to the bi-weekly produce pick up this morning. They gave me 2 boxes of veggies and some bags of veggies. All the onions were molded. So I tossed them. Everything else looks good. I’ve found a home for the bok choy and sweet potatoes. Neither of which I’ll eat. Although I considered chopping up a little bok choy for the cole slaw I made.

The grocery pick up at the church will be very helpful. My oldest is out of meat. She specifically wanted chicken but it was expensive. So I’ll put this bird on my rotisserie and give her all the dark meat. It’s her favorite. I’ll eat it but I prefer white meat.

On the U-pick table I found vegetarian baked beans. My youngest will be thrilled. Inflation is hard on them as young adults. They’re both independent and working but just don’t make a lot of money.

Tomorrow is going to be a rainy day so I’ll be doing food prep!

Attachments

• B66078C0-DBBF-43EE-BB18-FCCDD94B2052.jpeg
    B66078C0-DBBF-43EE-BB18-FCCDD94B2052.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 68E47E7C-42A7-4ED0-B57C-0D562E57129E.jpeg
    68E47E7C-42A7-4ED0-B57C-0D562E57129E.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 561BD6AA-7AE1-4539-AD74-4D75D4FCC345.jpeg
    561BD6AA-7AE1-4539-AD74-4D75D4FCC345.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 35
  • E4C80EF0-FEAF-49F9-9EB8-9EA017359408.jpeg
    E4C80EF0-FEAF-49F9-9EB8-9EA017359408.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 32
I’m having my kitchen cabinets redone this week, so I had to remove everything out of all the cabinets. I can not believe how much kitchen stuff I have accumulated. Some things in the back of my cabinets that I had totally forgotten about.

I will be sending quite a few things to Goodwill instead of putting them back.

I had noticed that one of my friends has very few kitchen items, and so I told her everything I was planning to take to Goodwill and asked if she would like anything. She told me she keeps her kitchen very simple and uncluttered on purpose, for example, she has only four dinner plates, four salad plates, four glasses, and two mugs. Just one set of baking dishes and one baking sheet.

Now I am re-evaluating how many things I really need. I still cook and bake for friends and get togethers frequently, even so I don’t need all the bakeware and dishes I have accumulated.
I used to be the one who did food for potlucks, church, family gathering, etc. I had duplicates of things. When my oldest got her first apartment, I gave her stuff. Then when my youngest did, I gave her stuff too. So it saved money and they could just add to it. We went to Goodwill and thrift stores to get them set up. What you donate will be greatly appreciated I’m sure.

I used to be the one who did food for potlucks, church, family gathering, etc. I had duplicates of things. When my oldest got her first apartment, I gave her stuff. Then when my youngest did, I gave her stuff too. So it saved money and they could just add to it. We went to Goodwill and thrift stores to get them set up. What you donate will be greatly appreciated I’m sure.
For example, I have seven 9x13 glass baking dishes. I used to make 2 pans of baked mac & cheese, 2 pans of scalloped potatoes, and a baked fruit cobbler to take to get togethers. When I lived in Illinois we had LARGE get togethers, and I would double or triple the recipes I baked.

Side note: I often hear it said that Chicago people are cold and/or unfriendly. I lived there for 8 years, and I can say that they were the warmest, friendliest, and huggy-est people I have ever known.

Now our get togethers are much smaller, so I only use two of the pans at a time.

I will be sending quite a few things to Goodwill instead of putting them back...

When we renovated our kitchen several years ago, I was happy to have more storage space than we'd had in the original kitchen. I liked the idea of glass-doored cabinets to display dishes and glassware. Fast forward... Those displayed dishes and glassware don't stay clean, and the shelves and glass require occasional dusting and cleaning. We really need to purge a lot of things in our kitchen cabinets and drawers. I guess we should stop talking about it and actually get down to business. Once we finish the kitchen purging, we can move around the house from room-to-room and do likewise.

Last edited:
When we renovated our kitchen several years ago, I was happy to have more storage space than we'd had in the original kitchen. I liked the idea of glass-doored cabinets to display dishes and glassware. Fast forward... Those displayed dishes and glassware don't stay clean, and the shelves and glass need dusting and cleaning. We really need to purge a lot of things in our kitchen cabinets and drawers. I guess we should stop talking about it and actually get down to business. Once we finish the kitchen purging, we can move around the house from room-to-room and do likewise.
I have known that my cabinets needed to be purged for quite some time, but having to empty all my cabinets and drawers made it a reality.

This week I will purge my kitchen, next week I will tackle my closet.

I am going to use the same approach for my closet, pull absolutely everything out and put back one piece of clothing at a time, after asking myself if I am sure I will wear it again.

I have known that my cabinets needed to be purged for quite some time, but having to empty all my cabinets and drawers made it a reality.

This week I will purge my kitchen, next week I will tackle my closet.

I am going to use the same approach for my closet, pull absolutely everything out and put back one piece of clothing at a time, after asking myself if I am sure I will wear it again.

When the pandemic started and many folks began cleaning furiously, DH was still working. I won't get on a ladder that would be required in many areas of our home. Since he retired, we "talk" about a major cleaning and purging of our entire home but haven't tackled the task yet. Time to get serious about this and stop putting it off.

Enjoy your new cabinets!

When I found flour weevils had invaded my baking cupboard (with lockdown flour) I was so upset initially. I hate those things! But actually the clean out was great and now I just have a few new baking tins and no foodstuff. Luckily, my Bundt tins were elsewhere.

Today I roasted red potatoes. I added ground Tyme to them in addition to the normal spices I use. They taste good!
I also made roasted honey carrots. I had 4-5 regular carrots that needed to be used and some baby snacking carrots. They’re tasty too. I need to get some local honey as I’m now out.

I read that you can freeze raw butternut squash. So I cut up the smaller of the two. I have 3 quart bags. I think I’ll do the huge butternut squash next week! Give my hand a rest from chopping.

Attachments

• 5F77ABD4-5FDA-4E1D-8802-334DECA456EE.jpeg
    5F77ABD4-5FDA-4E1D-8802-334DECA456EE.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 24
  • A188B59E-8FC5-4A79-A08D-1586D8491B4B.jpeg
    A188B59E-8FC5-4A79-A08D-1586D8491B4B.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DBB05103-9E6B-49AA-B451-F223F28DB4F8.jpeg
    DBB05103-9E6B-49AA-B451-F223F28DB4F8.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 19
I’m in the mood for zucchini quiche. I made it with what I have on hand.

I sorta followed the recipe. I added spinach and tomato. I only had sliced cheese. Provolone. Mozzarella. Munster. I used 4 eggs instead of 2.

It just went in the oven. I’m sure it will taste fine because it has ingredients I like.

Attachments

• 32DBB9ED-BD63-4BE8-BE24-2D89EE32A6E3.jpeg
    32DBB9ED-BD63-4BE8-BE24-2D89EE32A6E3.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 6EE8D4BA-63CE-4A16-8942-77EC89F8F4DC.jpeg
    6EE8D4BA-63CE-4A16-8942-77EC89F8F4DC.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 34
  • E21C36F6-A929-42D9-9754-7E322C6AC4FC.jpeg
    E21C36F6-A929-42D9-9754-7E322C6AC4FC.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 32
^ The quiche looks gorgeous! I'm sure it will be delicious.

DH and I have dental hygiene appointments later this morning. We are thinking about going out for breakfast/brunch afterwards. We haven't been out for breakfast in months.

Power was out for 4 hours last night and went out again briefly in the wee hours. Neither of us slept well.

I’m in the mood for zucchini quiche. I made it with what I have on hand.

I sorta followed the recipe. I added spinach and tomato. I only had sliced cheese. Provolone. Mozzarella. Munster. I used 4 eggs instead of 2.

It just went in the oven. I’m sure it will taste fine because it has ingredients I like.
I love quiche! I'm inspired to make one for 'brunch' on Sunday. I think I'll do ham, swiss and spinach.

Chris wants meatloaf for dinner, so that's what I'll be making with green beans and mashed potatoes

It was cold and rainy here yesterday, and I had to go to IKEA to make a return. I decided to eat in their cafeteria, and their Monday special is veggie balls plate for $3.

The veggie balls are served with two sides, and I chose mashed potatoes for both. Perfect comfort food for a cold and rainy day.

Attachments

• AE674D5E-275D-4A1D-9494-E06CCB5DF0EC.jpeg
    AE674D5E-275D-4A1D-9494-E06CCB5DF0EC.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 28
After our dental appointments this morning, DH and I went to Shine Cafe that is in the same shopping plaza as our hair studio and on the way home from the dentist's office. Now that Honey Tree Grille has closed, I think we have found a new favorite place for breakfast/brunch/lunch. Charming place with fast, friendly service and good food. DH had a Western Omelet with breakfast potatoes and toast. I had Florentine Eggs Benedict with sliced tomatoes, Hollandaise on the side. Plating was exquisite, and we both enjoyed our meals. We'll definitely be returning.
Menu - Shine Cafe (shinecafetroy.com)

We haven't been out for dinner for a couple of weeks but had takeout from P.F. Chang's last week. We had watched an episode of Beat Bobby Flay where the competitor challenged BF to make Kung Pao Chicken. I hadn't ever had anything "Kung Pao" before and ordered Chang's Kung Pao Shrimp. The tiny red peppers were really spicy and practically inedible, so I picked them out and was left with the warm flavor without the bite from the peppers. I always get brown rice and had enough of the shrimp and rice for lunch the following day.

We decided on leg of lamb for Easter/Passover. DH asked for something other than my usual leg of lamb marinade with Greek yogurt, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, garlic, fresh rosemary, salt, and pepper. Marinate overnight and wipe off marinade before grilling/roasting. I found a couple of recipes using fennel, Roma tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, and red wine. I'll put the 4# leg of lamb in the slow cooker on low for 5-6 hours. The fennel and tomatoes will cook down while flavoring the meat and become a ragu. I'll serve with pasta or polenta and a spring mix salad.

I love quiche! I'm inspired to make one for 'brunch' on Sunday. I think I'll do ham, swiss and spinach.

Chris wants meatloaf for dinner, so that's what I'll be making with green beans and mashed potatoes

Oh I would love to have your meatloaf recipe. I have a meatloaf tin I pinched off my gran, but I've never used it. My mum used to make, what we called, cajun meatloaf. It was served with a sauce with lots of chunky peppers and celery in it. I really love a sauce so I loved that addition. I've never made meatloaf but I'm really wanting to.

Ps I'm in the mood for quiche also now :p

Last weekend an Alaska Cod food truck came to our town. They only serve fried cod in a beer batter, and chips. So delicious. Normally, I don't eat fried food, or meat. But I made an exception...the beer batter was light, but fried extra crisp. The fish was so tasty! Nothing like scorching hot fried food. Huge line. They only advertise on Facebook and word of mouth...there were over 35 people in line when we left. Grabbed our food and took it home, with ice cold beer.
On The Hook Fish and Chips | Line-Caught Wild Alaskan Cod Fish & Chips

So, I have a collection of hot sauces on the table, and told my daughter to try the Miso Ghost Pepper sauce on a fry...she put way too much on her fry, and POPPED the whole thing in her mouth before I could stop her!!! One or two drops is plenty!!!

Everyone’s Excited About This New Seasoning at Costco — Eat This Not That

Totally loving this seasoning from Costco. I think it was on sale last month...it tastes like cheese! So yummy. I don't eat cheese, so this sprinkle, is so delicious. No calorie cheese! I sprinkled this on spaghetti squash tonight. Yum!
I asked about this seasoning at my Costco in Idaho yesterday and they said they would not be carrying it anymore, and they were out. Sad face. I really wanted to try it.

Wiped out that quiche in 2 1/2 days. It hit the spot. I bought pie shells and mozzarella cheese. I still have 1 zucchini, spinach and tomato. Just in case I need another “breakfast pie” as my oldest called it. She flew to MI for a long weekend. She’s visiting 3 former coworkers. One of them is gluten free also. The two of them are hitting all the nearby GF bakeries. Apparently there’s donuts they need to try.

Today was burger prep day. Soggy bread is not appealing so I toast the bun with cheese on both sides.

The youngest confirmed she’s coming over Easter Sunday. No menu yet but probably a bunch of veggie dishes. Maybe some chocolate chip cookie dough.

Attachments

• 520C24C3-F008-426E-AEDC-A75C775EB605.jpeg
    520C24C3-F008-426E-AEDC-A75C775EB605.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics