Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just turned on the slow cooker with Italian-themed leg of lamb. I seasoned the 4# lamb with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Surrounded the lamb with 4 large plum tomatoes sliced lengthwise. Next, a large fennel bulb sliced thinly. Three large cloves of garlic sliced thinly. Two large sprigs of rosemary. About a cup of red wine, 2 cups of chicken stock. Slow-cooker recipes indicate 5-6 hours on low. I will serve the lamb/veggies with polenta. Michigan salad with mesculin, dried cherries, walnuts, red onion, blue cheese crumbles, blueberry vinaigrette.

We went to Picano's for dinner last night. It wasn't busy, and we had the main dining room to ourselves for almost an hour. DH had the pickerel that is my favorite, while I had the special salmon with sundried tomato pesto. The tangy pesto was a perfect complement to the mild Atlantic salmon. We enjoyed a bottle of Santa Margherita Chianti. We were home in time for NBC Evening News, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy!

No specific plans for tomorrow. My brother/s might come - or not. Whatever your plans, have a Happy Easter/Passover.

Still no Easter menu here. My youngest can’t make up her mind half the time. She generally eats whatever I make tho.

I decided I’m just going to focus on making my little avocado tree a happy home and call it a day. The tree was a gift last fall. My kids love avocados. I do not.

Yesterday the grocery pickup had 10 avocados. I’m waiting for their adoptive parents to show up to take them home. Ha!

Attachments

• 4BA25AE2-5A0D-4EF3-9F37-8ECB65BB3863.jpeg
    4BA25AE2-5A0D-4EF3-9F37-8ECB65BB3863.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 9E1FA70A-4DD6-45EB-950D-7FFF38EDEC0D.jpeg
    9E1FA70A-4DD6-45EB-950D-7FFF38EDEC0D.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 17
  • 76780762-61BE-4F79-8B80-4F218503770C.jpeg
    76780762-61BE-4F79-8B80-4F218503770C.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 15
Just turned on the slow cooker with Italian-themed leg of lamb. I seasoned the 4# lamb with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Surrounded the lamb with 4 large plum tomatoes sliced lengthwise. Next, a large fennel bulb sliced thinly. Three large cloves of garlic sliced thinly. Two large sprigs of rosemary. About a cup of red wine, 2 cups of chicken stock. Slow-cooker recipes indicate 5-6 hours on low. I will serve the lamb/veggies with polenta. Michigan salad with mesculin, dried cherries, walnuts, red onion, blue cheese crumbles, blueberry vinaigrette.

We went to Picano's for dinner last night. It wasn't busy, and we had the main dining room to ourselves for almost an hour. DH had the pickerel that is my favorite, while I had the special salmon with sundried tomato pesto. The tangy pesto was a perfect complement to the mild Atlantic salmon. We enjoyed a bottle of Santa Margherita Chianti. We were home in time for NBC Evening News, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy!

No specific plans for tomorrow. My brother/s might come - or not. Whatever your plans, have a Happy Easter/Passover.

All your food, both at home and at the restaurant, sounds delicious!

We are planning to go out to dinner tonight with four friends. We hope to sit outside as it should be around 70 degrees. Maybe we'll bring home some leftovers and call that our Easter dinner!

Happy Easter to you all! Thank you for sharing your meals, recipes and menu. I love coming here and seeing what you are all up to. I don't post as often as I should, but really do appreciate everyone.
Later today we have our family Easter. We are all vegetarian/vegan with a few fish eaters thrown in. There will be 25 adults and kids at my sister's house. The family parties all happen there because she has the house big enough to hold us. She even has a "butler's pantry"! Her dining room table can seat all of the adults. The kids get a table lined up on the end of the adult table for one GIANT table. That table represents so much love and family. It sat empty all through COVID and we are so happy to be back around it where we belong. We went back to our big holiday dinners this past Thanksgiving. They are so a part of who we are as a family.
On the menu will be Mediterranean from Cleopatra's Grill. They have amazing family platters full of humus, falafel, stuffed grape leaves, pita bread.. much more. Here is a link in case you are curious.
https://www.cleopatragrill.com
My mom is also making two giant spanakopita trays.
Although we are not Greek by heritage, we will be for the day!
I am still trying to come up with a plan for Easter Sunday. It will be just Mr. Pirate and myself. I work all day as well so it will be something simple. Our anniversary is Monday and I am off that day. We are going to go out to a fancy Japanese restaurant called Shiro. We have never been but are excited to check it out. We are fish eaters so we will enjoy their sushi.
If you lasted through this entire post, thank you..LOL
Have a great Easter!

Nothing exciting here for Easter. Next week is Orthodox Easter, my husband is planning on making a big feast of ham, and Kielbasa for his church feast.

I have been dieting lately, eating far less. Time for that excess Covid weight to be gone. I think I was so done with cooking that we had too much take out for awhile.

All your food, both at home and at the restaurant, sounds delicious!

We are planning to go out to dinner tonight with four friends. We hope to sit outside as it should be around 70 degrees. Maybe we'll bring home some leftovers and call that our Easter dinner!

Well, our dinner out has fallen through because one of the people has a positive Covid test. Sigh. So it's takeout for us tonight.

I will be cooking tomorrow - small ham steaks, fresh steamed asparagus and fresh steamed yellow squash. Trying to decide whether or not to make potato salad as well. Y'all have a wonderful Easter, Passover or simple Sunday whatever your faith.

Still no Easter menu here. My youngest can’t make up her mind half the time. She generally eats whatever I make tho.

I decided I’m just going to focus on making my little avocado tree a happy home and call it a day. The tree was a gift last fall. My kids love avocados. I do not.

Yesterday the grocery pickup had 10 avocados. I’m waiting for their adoptive parents to show up to take them home. Ha!
I love avocado trees! I’ve grown several trees from avocado pits.

My mother-in-law is baking a ham and making a potato salad and a frog eye (ancini) salad. She gets some lovely crescent rolls from a local bakery and will also have a relish tray. Said she might bake a chocolate cake too. I'm glad she felt up to it since I did not. I had a gum graft on Wednesday and still feel a little rough. I also can't eat anything but super soft food. I'm making deviled eggs to bring. I'll try to eat one of those sliced up and will microwave some of the veggies from the relish tray until soft and have those with butter and salt. I hope everyone has a nice Easter whatever your plans may be.

The lamb and veggies tasted fine despite the meat being overcooked. I don't have much experience with meat in a slow cooker and it seems that it cooks faster than recipes suggest. By the time we took the temperature of the leg of lamb, it was already done, but the fennel wasn't quite ready. Removed lamb from slow cooker to rest and let veggies continue cooking on low for another 20 minutes. I pulsed veggies in the food processor and served it over the meat and grilled polenta. There are plenty of leftovers, including the drippings from the lamb that will make a delicious stock.

I made smoked whitefish spread with cream cheese, mayo, lemon juice and zest, scallions, parsley, dill, hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. It's delicious with matzoh or your favorite crackers.

No plans for today and no cooking. DH got a spiral-sliced ham that we'll nosh on later. I will make split pea soup sometime this week.

We watched about half of The Ten Commandments last night and will finish it today. Finale of Tournament of Champions tonight on Food Network. It is really cold here and will barely get up to 45*. Snow showers on tap for tomorrow but 70* by next weekend. Enjoy your day :)

Last edited:
The lamb and veggies tasted fine despite the meat being overcooked. I don't have much experience with meat in a slow cooker and it seems that it +cooks faster than recipes suggest. By the time we took the temperature of the leg of lamb, it was already done, but the fennel wasn't quite ready. Removed lamb from slow cooker to rest and let veggies continue cooking on low for another 20 minutes. I pulsed veggies in the food processor and served it over the meat and grilled polenta. There are plenty of leftovers, including the drippings from the lamb that will make a delicious stock.

I made smoked whitefish spread with cream cheese, mayo, lemon juice and zest, scallions, parsley, dill, hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. It's delicious with matzoh or your favorite crackers.

No plans for today and no cooking. DH got a spiral-sliced ham that we'll nosh on later. I will make split pea soup sometime this week.

We watched about half of The Ten Commandments last night and will finish it today. Finale of Tournament of Champions tonight on Food Network. It is really cold here and will barely get up to 45*. Snow showers on tap for tomorrow but 70* by next weekend. Enjoy your day :)
My oldest flew back from MI this morning. She froze and it did snow at one point. They went to some park with sand dunes and it was super windy. She sent me a video standing on the shore of Lake Michigan. Very lovely but very cold. Of course she sent a picture of all the gluten free bakery items. LOL!

I need to come to MI and take cooking lessons from you. Haha! Every food you describe sounds wonderful.

Attachments

• 4293E768-485F-4776-A2DF-D7655E7CB9BB.jpeg
    4293E768-485F-4776-A2DF-D7655E7CB9BB.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 19
Costco, who can figure it out? I went there tonight, looking for Splenda, none. They don't carry it here any longer.

On our first visit to Costco about 20 years ago, we bought a large jug of Ivory Liquid that I use for hand washing/delicates and pre-soaking laundry stains. I would funnel it into a smaller bottle for convenience. The jug of Ivory Liquid was one of our regular Costco purchases until they stopped carrying it a few years ago. Meijer had a few sizes of Ivory Liquid, so we would get the largest one when needed. In recent months, Meijer hasn't carried Ivory Liquid which we needed, so DH got it at Kroger. Costco didn't have their delicious pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving last year: It's an indulgence, but we missed having it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members