Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brussel sprouts in April?! Sprouts are strictly a winter thing, I thought! :)

Chinese chicken curry recipe | BBC Good Food

Now, this was my basis, but you can see I didn't follow the recipe to a t. I'm supposed to blitz the sauce but I like chunky veg in my curry! And you can totally add any veg you like, as I did! And spice it up, I got some chilli powder in there! But please note this is a 'Chinese curry', I'm not sure where you live, but here we order curry from a Chinese takeaway and it is nothing like curry from an Indian takeaway ! It's not as complex flavours. But lovely, simple and tasty:p
I could eat them every day. LOL

Brussel sprouts in April?! Sprouts are strictly a winter thing, I thought! :)...

Fresh Brussels Sprouts are generally available year-round in most markets. I like them roasted but don't use the oven much during the summer months because the house gets too warm. I've occasionally blanched Brussels Sprouts quickly in boiling water, put them in ice water, then slice thinly in the food processor for a Brussels Sprouts salad. The sprouts are barely cooked but not as bitter when raw. Toss with dried cherries, walnuts, red onion, blue cheese, and pomegranate vinaigrette.

Last edited:
Tonight is a special night for Orthodox Easter. They have church at 10:00 pm, and after church, they break "Lent". Everyone brings a special dish to share to celebrate.

My husband is making a special dish, with ham, and kielbasa. He puts it all layered in a crockpot, with a sort of mustard honey sauce.

Ukrainian Traditional Easter Basket - Special Food and Symbolism

I had a sorry looking bag of parsnips in the fridge so decided to make curried parsnip soup, a recipe my gran used to make. It is lovely! 500g bag of parsnips, two leeks, one onion, one carrot. Sweated the veg off and then added 2 teaspoons of curry powder, salt and pepper. Covered the veg with water, added a few stock cubes and a dollop of apple sauce, and simmered for 20 mins and then blitzed with the hand blender ! It would be so nice with buttered bread dipped into it! Must pick up some bread tomorrow !

We eat them at least once a week.

One of my favorite restaurants serves sautéed Brussels in a hot honey citrus sauce. I have been trying to duplicate at home but haven’t gotten it right yet.
OOhhh that sounds really good!

I generally always roast them at home, but a local restaurant has my favorite! They halve the sprouts and quick deep fry them and then drizzle them with honey and add crumbled goat cheese. Delicious!

Just putting a gammon joint in the slow cooker and heck, I'm going to make life easier and chuck some new potatoes in too. I'm a bit worried the tatties will end up overcooked, but I have put them in before and it worked fine. My trick is going to be, don't chop the tatties, and hopefully they will stay intact!

I’m find myself more and more using less ingredients and keeping things simple. Tonight I had penne with a garlic mushroom sauce - mushrooms, garlic, red onion, paprika and a slosh of cream. Not the healthiest, but comforting on a chilly evening. My shopping cost is still through the roof though.

DH and I went to Buddy's yesterday to participate in the fundraiser for Detroit's Capuchin Soup Kitchen. The restaurant was packed with mostly seniors when we arrived at 4:45PM. By the time we left after 6:00, there were folks seated in the waiting area and at the bar. Mostly everyone who arrived was checking in and presenting their tickets to the CSK representatives. The annual fundraising event was cancelled for two years due to Covid, so it was nice to see so many people supporting this worthy cause. No one wore masks, so I hope this doesn't turn out to be a super-spreader. The fundraiser was held at most metro-Detroit Buddy's locations, with some offering only takeout.

I've never cared for Buddy's pizza and don't understand what the big fuss is all about. It might be the "original" Detroit-style pizza, but I don't think it's the best. We ordered a large pepperoni and mushroom pie with a medium antipasto salad. I ate salad and had one slice of pizza. DH had some salad and three pieces of pizza. There was enough salad left for my lunch today, and DH finished the pizza. We had a bottle of pinot grigio, but we didn't order anything extra and didn't want seconds of salad or pizza.

I assembled a turkey meatloaf with spinach, sundried tomatoes, and feta for dinner tonight. Accompaniment will be herb roasted fingerling potatoes. Nino's is featuring Sander's Bakery "bumpy" carrot cake, so we'll have that for dessert.

DH and I went to Buddy's yesterday to participate in the fundraiser for Detroit's Capuchin Soup Kitchen. The restaurant was packed with mostly seniors when we arrived at 4:45PM. By the time we left after 6:00, there were folks seated in the waiting area and at the bar. Mostly everyone who arrived was checking in and presenting their tickets to the CSK representatives. The annual fundraising event was cancelled for two years due to Covid, so it was nice to see so many people supporting this worthy cause. No one wore masks, so I hope this doesn't turn out to be a super-spreader. The fundraiser was held at most metro-Detroit Buddy's locations, with some offering only takeout.

I've never cared for Buddy's pizza and don't understand what the big fuss is all about. It might be the "original" Detroit-style pizza, but I don't think it's the best. We ordered a large pepperoni and mushroom pie with a medium antipasto salad. I ate salad and had one slice of pizza. DH had some salad and three pieces of pizza. There was enough salad left for my lunch today, and DH finished the pizza. We had a bottle of pinot grigio, but we didn't order anything extra and didn't want seconds of salad or pizza.

I assembled a turkey meatloaf with spinach, sundried tomatoes, and feta for dinner tonight. Accompaniment will be herb roasted fingerling potatoes. Nino's is featuring Sander's Bakery "bumpy" carrot cake, so we'll have that for dessert.
@BetteDavisEyes your entire post made my mouth water!

New dish tonight. I thought it sounded really exotic, and used a lot of store cupboard ingredients. But it was just 'good'. It wasn't wow. It was really nice served with cous cous and salad, I liked that combo. I've lots of leftovers, I bet it's better tomorrow !

Chilli Marrakech recipe | BBC Good Food

Attachments

• 20220427_192218.jpg
    20220427_192218.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 24
I’ve been wanting pancakes for a few weeks. This morning I misread the batter & fluid amounts. It was way too thin! I added more batter to thicken them up. I used 1 cup whole milk and 1/2 cup water instead of all water. That adds protein so they’re not so sweet. They’re more filling too.

I made 3 flavors: banana, blueberry and choc chip. It made 15! I ate 3 this morning, one of each, then I was stuffed! I have 6 in the fridge and 6 in the freezer.

Attachments

• 5FA4897D-39E5-4F2C-A980-AA8CD536C950.jpeg
    5FA4897D-39E5-4F2C-A980-AA8CD536C950.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 31
  • BF833D3D-C5FC-4AA7-8C90-3A6BF66D0AB6.jpeg
    BF833D3D-C5FC-4AA7-8C90-3A6BF66D0AB6.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 36025945-6EB4-4638-833C-A0A25A95A6CF.jpeg
    36025945-6EB4-4638-833C-A0A25A95A6CF.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 32
I don't normally eat meat, but I used the ham bone from Easter to make red beans and rice. So good. Slow cooked red beans with veggies, and a ham bone. I soaked the beans last night, and put everything in the crockpot this morning. Looks like snow this weekend....soup weather.

I’ve been wanting pancakes for a few weeks. This morning I misread the batter & fluid amounts. It was way too thin! I added more batter to thicken them up. I used 1 cup whole milk and 1/2 cup water instead of all water. That adds protein so they’re not so sweet. They’re more filling too.

I made 3 flavors: banana, blueberry and choc chip. It made 15! I ate 3 this morning, one of each, then I was stuffed! I have 6 in the fridge and 6 in the freezer.
They look delicious! I love pancakes, with butter and real maple syrup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member