Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, you must live in the UK! I was picturing homemade crisps (what we call potato chips in the US) when you said homemade chips.

Ooh, how did they come out? Sounds so yummy. I love almost anything potato.
Australia! But we also say chips for as in fish and chips. We say chips for crisps, too, which confuses people from elsewhere.

Alas, I made too many so I have lunch for tomorrow as well. Delicious.

Australia! But we also say chips for as in fish and chips. We say chips for crisps, too, which confuses people from elsewhere.

Alas, I made too many so I have lunch for tomorrow as well. Delicious.
We (in the US) call it “fish and chips”—for the batter-coated fried fish and fries meal, too! But I think that’s the only context where we call fries “chips”, I believe.

Your potatoes sound delicious.

I don’t know if Australia carries Lipton Onion Soup Mix, but I have made their Onion-Roasted Potatoes and think it pretty tasty and easy. Your potatoes reminded me of it.

You’ve got me craving potatoes now. :p

We (in the US) call it “fish and chips”—for the batter-coated fried fish and fries meal, too! But I think that’s the only context where we call fries “chips”, I believe.

Your potatoes sound delicious.

I don’t know if Australia carries Lipton Onion Soup Mix, but I have made their Onion-Roasted Potatoes and think it pretty tasty and easy. Your potatoes reminded me of it.

You’ve got me craving potatoes now. :p
We used to use onion and garlic powder in things until my partner couldn't have them anymore because of FODMAP issues. They'd go well on chips, I think they're in most commercial coatings of wedges that you buy in the freezer section.

We used to use onion and garlic powder in things until my partner couldn't have them anymore because of FODMAP issues. They'd go well on chips, I think they're in most commercial coatings of wedges that you buy in the freezer section.
Regular powdered, dehydrated onion and garlic powder work just as well, if not better IMO. And cheaper, you can customize your mixes without the MSG and other stuff.

That is one thing I don't like about premade sweet potato fries. They're not 100% potato, they're mixed with pureed carrot and coated with something that make them unhealthy as opposed to DIY fries/chips. I like them but I'm not paying $5 for frozen carrots. It's so sneaky.

Regular powdered, dehydrated onion and garlic powder work just as well, if not better IMO. And cheaper, you can customize your mixes without the MSG and other stuff.

That is one thing I don't like about premade sweet potato fries. They're not 100% potato, they're mixed with pureed carrot and coated with something that make them unhealthy as opposed to DIY fries/chips. I like them but I'm not paying $5 for frozen carrots. It's so sneaky.

Sweet potato fries are easy to make so I don’t buy the frozen ones. Like you said, the frozen ones aren’t healthy. Surprising how many people buy frozen sweet potato fries thinking it is a healthier option.

A local restaurant serves sweet potato fries with marshmallow cream and caramel ice cream topping on the side.

This is the “Best of” list that I wait for every year. It’s Yelp’s Top 100 Restaurants list. This list is based on diner reviews, and I have discovered many great restaurants from this list.

When I travel I check this list and try to visit as many restaurants as I can.

Last edited:
This is the “Best of” list that I wait for every year. It’s Yelp’s Top 100 Restaurants list. This list is based on diner reviews, and I have discovered many great restaurants from this list.

When I travel I check this list and try to visit as many restaurants as I can.
We always check out Yelp reviews even for local restaurants! Sometimes the reviews can be very helpful for deciding if we’ll give a place a try.

A funny story: I was reading Yelp reviews for a Chinese restaurant that was one of my family’s favorite places. I was reading a particularly good one where the reviewer hit all the points one would want to know when deciding if one would like to dine there. Listed dishes ordered, price, parking, service…very detailed. I was thinking to myself, “Now this is a good review!” And I was struck by the fact that they ordered the same things we would. Then I looked at the name of the reviewer. It was my daughter!! :D LOL!

Sweet potato fries are easy to make so I don’t buy the frozen ones. Like you said, the frozen ones aren’t healthy. Surprising how many people buy frozen sweet potato fries thinking it is a healthier option.

A local restaurant serves sweet potato fries with marshmallow cream and caramel ice cream topping on the side.
I can't lie, the fries with ice cream and marshmallow sounds delish and I'd prob order it out of curiosity. Reminds me of the Mexican restaurant down the street from me that does fried ice cream. It's rolled in crushed Frosted Flakes and drizzled in honey :p

I will still buy bagged sweet potato fries but to me they're like a bag of potato chips but slightly more economical and substantial. Another super easy one: roasting a can of chick peas or even butter beans on a baking sheet with olive oil, salt and pepper. Sometimes a bit of chili powder, cumin, garlic, whatever! They are loaded with potassium and fiber.

@iamshadow21 I misunderstood your post and thought you meant the coatings were not good for FODMAPS but you meant the exact spices I mentioned as an alternative :rolleyes: duh, my mistake sry!

Last edited:
I can't lie, the fries with ice cream and marshmallow sounds delish and I'd prob order it out of curiosity. Reminds me of the Mexican restaurant down the street from me that does fried ice cream. It's rolled in crushed Frosted Flakes and drizzled in honey :p

I will still buy bagged sweet potato fries but to me they're like a bag of potato chips but slightly more economical and substantial. Another super easy one: roasting a can of chick peas or even butter beans on a baking sheet with olive oil, salt and pepper. Sometimes a bit of chili powder, cumin, garlic, whatever! They are loaded with potassium and fiber.

@iamshadow21 I misunderstood your post and thought you meant the coatings were not good for FODMAPS but you meant the exact spices I mentioned as an alternative :rolleyes: duh, my mistake sry!
I love fried ice cream! It was a special treat at Chi-Chi’s back before they all closed. Chi-Chi’s was a tradition for us, it was the place to celebrate any anniversary or special occasion.

Yesterday for lunch I went to one of the few remaining Ponderosa restaurants. It’s in Coldwater Michigan where I was for work yesterday.

I hadn’t been to a Ponderosa for years, we had one in southern Indiana that lasted until just a few years ago.

I wasn’t expecting much yesterday, I went there for nostalgia. But it turned out to be a great experience, very clean, and the buffet was just the way I remembered with hot vegetables, mashed potatoes, meatballs, chicken, and many other items. The salad bar was excellent.

The hot foods were hot and all the salad bar items were very fresh.

Servers were very nice and the entire restaurant was spotless.

When I walked in and paid for my order the young man who took my order enthusiastically described a special offer, for only an additional 79 cents I could get a large fountain drink cup to go. I didn’t really want it but he so sincerely and enthusiastically offered it that I bought it. I’m a sucker for teenagers who actually care about their jobs, lol. I see too many bored teens and young adults who act like they are doing you a favor to take your money and never even say thank you.

I love fried ice cream! It was a special treat at Chi-Chi’s back before they all closed. Chi-Chi’s was a tradition for us, it was the place to celebrate any anniversary or special occasion.
I remember going there when I was a kid in the early 90's :D

US has a ton of interesting restaurants that we don't have here :confused: The place near me is a bit more "authentic" the ice cream is wonderful! (they also add cinnamon so maybe not for everyone) I like going there for my birthday for the ice cream and margaritas :p

I've seen videos on how to make fried ice cream at home but haven't done it myself. The trick is to re-freeze the ice cream, I think twice?

We had a yummy dinner last night. We made char siu (Chinese roasted pork). I also made Gailan (Chinese broccoli) with oyster sauce, sautéed shishito peppers, and steamed rice.

We used the recipe from “Made With Lau”. They have a Youtube and a website. Such an adorable family. Love the stories and explanations behind the dishes. Anyone familiar?

Made With Lau website
Made With Lau YouTube

We had a yummy dinner last night. We made char siu (Chinese roasted pork). I also made Gailan (Chinese broccoli) with oyster sauce, sautéed shishito peppers, and steamed rice.

We used the recipe from “Made With Lau”. They have a Youtube and a website. Such an adorable family. Love the stories and explanations behind the dishes. Anyone familiar?

Made With Lau website
Made With Lau YouTube
Now I have to check out every reference you made.:p

I remember going there when I was a kid in the early 90's :D

US has a ton of interesting restaurants that we don't have here :confused: The place near me is a bit more "authentic" the ice cream is wonderful! (they also add cinnamon so maybe not for everyone) I like going there for my birthday for the ice cream and margaritas :p

I've seen videos on how to make fried ice cream at home but haven't done it myself. The trick is to re-freeze the ice cream, I think twice?
This is the fried ice cream recipe I like. The secret (IMO) is freezing the ice cream balls overnight although the recipe says “a couple of hours.” Or maybe it just takes my freezer longer to freeze the ice cream balls rock-hard. They need to be deeply frozen or else they melt a little in the deep fryer. Probably a freezer in a restaurant freezes faster than mine, so maybe that is the difference.

I was driving through Kentucky for work yesterday and stopped at a convenience store to get a snack.

In the restroom there was a red button with a sign that said, “Do Not Push This Red Button.”

When you push the button the restroom lights turn off and disco music plays, and disco lights sweep around the room. The show lasts about a minute and then the lights turn back on.

I tried to upload a video but WS wouldn’t allow it to upload

Well, clearly my kitchen skills are lacking today.

The only time in probably a decade I want a cinnamon roll, I burn them.

I swear. I just need to buy a baked potato from the steakhouse going forward. I did these 2 in the oven. First one is fine, sat the other one down and it immediately exploded. I did them in the oven at 350 degrees for 90 minutes. At least I didn’t torch the microwave this time.

Zucchini, spinach & green bean quiche. It better taste good!

Attachments

• IMG_2997.jpeg
    IMG_2997.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3005.jpeg
    IMG_3005.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3006.jpeg
    IMG_3006.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3007.jpeg
    IMG_3007.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 12
Well, clearly my kitchen skills are lacking today.

The only time in probably a decade I want a cinnamon roll, I burn them.

I swear. I just need to buy a baked potato from the steakhouse going forward. I did these 2 in the oven. First one is fine, sat the other one down and it immediately exploded. I did them in the oven at 350 degrees for 90 minutes. At least I didn’t torch the microwave this time.

Zucchini, spinach & green bean quiche. It better taste good!
Did you pierce the potatoes? We always use a fork to pierce baked potatoes so they don't explode. Three or four pokes allows the steam to escape. We set oven to 400* and bake potatoes for about an hour. DH is cooking my birthday dinner tonight: Grilled filet mignons with baked potatoes. Nice bottle of red wine, too.

Did you pierce the potatoes? We always use a fork to pierce baked potatoes so they don't explode. Three or four pokes allows the steam to escape. We set oven to 400* and bake potatoes for about an hour. DH is cooking my birthday dinner tonight: Grilled filet mignons with baked potatoes. Nice bottle of red wine, too.
Nope. I thought you pierced them when they were done. Ugh.

I'm tellin ya I'm the dumbest tater maker on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee