Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The nut parts looks somewhat familiar, but I didn't know that tree by name or that it's your state's nickname. Interesting. I got curious as you can see. :) I just made both from scratch Cornbread Muffins, and Mac & Cheese yesterday, for my Chili dinner tonight.

View attachment 508681View attachment 508679View attachment 508678View attachment 508677
I'd call that a horse chestnut.

Thanks for the heads up great list, @IceIce9. I just got home from Grocery Outlet, and want to go over your list more in a minute. I keep spending more there everytime I go. They have a great cheese selection, and lots of new things to try out.

Got a lovely looking Lemon Meringue Pie for only $3.99. Oh, I got a box of frozen Potato Pea Samosas (like an empanada) just to try them.

This thing happens to me all the time. If something stands out once, it will come to me again usually within the same day. So, when I posted that article, I noticed pierogis on the list. I thought to myself that I never had a homemade one, and only once frozen ones. Sure enough, I saw a bag of frozen Pierogis for only $1.99 so I bought some. Do you eat them with some kind of sauce?
Samosas are great! They're really good with chutney, Pataks sweet mango is delicious.

Love a good pierogi as well, they're a comfort food. I like to boil my pierogis with a little bit of olive oil and salted water. Then I scoop them out onto a rack for a few minutes and pan fry them in some oil/butter until they're golden and crispy. Depending on the filling, I usually serve mine with sour cream (put some green onion in there too).

Mayo tends to be my condiment of choice for most foods and I'd say even with samosas and pierogis, you could get away with mayo on the side :p

Cheese Curds- super popular in Wisconsin
Chicago Deep Dish pizza- yes very popular
Ravioli Puffs - I have seen them at a few restaurants, not many
Beer Brats with Kraut - popular
Raspberry Custard Kuchen - never heard of it
Kansas Style Ribs - popular in Kansas
State Fair subs - often called hoagies or grinders, or just subs - popular. Never heard them called “State Fair”
Michigan cherry pie- very popular in Michigan
Coney hot dogs - popular throughout the Midwest
Polish pierogi - popular in Chicago and Detroit
Grilled corn on the cob- popular
Sugar cream pie- popular in Indiana, it is the state pie of Indiana
Walking Tacos - very popular especially at fairs, festivals, sporting events.
Hot Dishes of all sorts are popular in Minnesota
Cincinnati style chili is very popular in Ohio but not in other states
Giardiania - popular at Midwest sandwich shops especially in Chicago area
Custard- incredibly popular in Wisconsin
Bloody Mary with lots of garnishes are popular especially in Wisconsin
Chocolaty Chips - not very popular as far as I know
Breaded tenderloin- super popular in Indiana

Buckeyes - extremely popular in Ohio. The first recipe every Ohio girl learns to make
Cheese curds, check. Deep dish, big check (love it) Ravioli puffs, I've had fried, is that the same? I've had Pizza Puffs. Beer brats, huge check. NEVER heard of this "raspberry custard kuchen." Ribs, check, Sub, check. Cherry pie, check, not "Michigan," though. Coney, Pierogis, corn, walking tacos, check/check/check/check, lol, I actually make walking tacos. Giardiniera, check, custard big check/you can get it frozen. Bloody Mary, check, I make them, with grilled cheeses, bacon, celery, and shrimp (etc) protruding (not necessarily at the same time, lol), the "Loaded Bloody Mary." A kzillion chilis, including Lindy's, don't know if "Cincinnatti." Breaded tenderloin, check all day long, you do it in a sandwich. Pork, veal, even chicken. Didn't know what a Buckeye was till now. Chocolaty Chips??

Easier scroll down format. This article may be right up your alley if you live or are from the Midwest. I'm not, and so I wonder if these foods really are that popular in the Midwest.

Deep fried Raviolis are very good, a St. Louis thing.

You have not lived until you have eaten real Wisconsin brats, cooked in a slow crock pot with beer and sauerkraut. If adventurous, add some brown spicy mustard.

You have not lived until you've had a Danish Kringle Pastry from the O & H Bakery in Racine, Wisconsin.

You have not lived until you have had Hot Giardiniera on an Italian Beef sandwich in Chicago.

In Chicago, Vienna Beef and Gonnella Bread are the Gold Standards. Gonnella Bread only supplies it's daily fresh breads to Deli's and Restaurants.

Bloody Mary's are an art form in Wisconsin. The Garnishes are over the top. At least a bit of beef jerky, cheese, kosher pickles and olives. Many times the garnishes overwhelm the actual drink..in a good way. Now if you want to be cool and act like a local, you will know to order your beer chaser at the same time you order the Bloody. Ask for one of the tap beers - they will come in a 2 -3 oz. shot glass.

Poutine is not mentioned in the article. It is basically french fries covered in a rich gravy, quite good.

The most glaring omission is fried cheese curds.

Oh, enjoy all!

ETA - I really want to try Breaded pork tenderloin, where are the best places?

Last edited:
Really? Wow. I've never even heard of them.
m01102.gif
What's something (one food) you would miss if you moved away and couldn't find that food elsewhere? Brought up in upstate NYS, and moved to SoCal many, many years ago. Still miss the Italian foods of my childhood unique to that area. I think there's a lot of exciting foods in that Midwest food list.
Buckeyes are great, they are similar to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

You have not lived until you have eaten real Wisconsin brats, cooked in a slow crock pot with beer and sauerkraut. If adventurous, add some brown spicy mustard.

You have not lived until you've had a Danish Kringle Pastry from the O & H Bakery in Racine, Wisconsin.

You have not lived until you have had Hot Giardiniera on an Italian Beef sandwich in Chicago.

In Chicago, Vienna Beef and Gonnella Bread are the Gold Standards. Gonnella Bread only supplies it's daily fresh breads to Deli's and Restaurants.

Bloody Mary's are an art form in Wisconsin. The Garnishes are over the top. At least a bit of beef jerky, cheese, kosher pickles and olives. Many times the garnishes overwhelm the actual drink..in a good way. Now if you want to be cool and act like a local, you will know to order your beer chaser at the same time you order the Bloody. Ask for one of the tap beers - they will come in a 2 -3 oz. shot glass.

Poutine is not mentioned in the article. It is basically french fries covered in a rich gravy, quite good.

Oh, enjoy all!

I'm not aware of a chain that does tenderloins, does anyone know of like a chain that does tenderloins??

I'm in the Midwest, they're big here, but it's like restaurant to restaurant, "maybe" you'll get a place that has them. Weirdly, the grocery around here has them because they're a "big thing" at a local butcher shop. I've made them you just pound out a cutlet nice and think and coat in egg with breadcrumbs & herbs to your liking. (Love schnitzel.) Here's a recipe I see online: Crispy Pork Cutlets

OH, just checked and Dairy Queen evidently has a pork cutlet sandwich! There's a lot of those nationwide.

I'm not aware of a chain that does tenderloins, does anyone know of like a chain that does tenderloins??

I'm in the Midwest, they're big here, but it's like restaurant to restaurant, "maybe" you'll get a place that has them. Weirdly, the grocery around here has them because they're a "big thing" at a local butcher shop. I've made them you just pound out a cutlet nice and think and coat in egg with breadcrumbs & herbs to your liking. (Love schnitzel.) Here's a recipe I see online: Crispy Pork Cutlets

OH, just checked and Dairy Queen evidently has a pork cutlet sandwich! There's a lot of those nationwide.
Tenderloins are incredibly popular in Indiana. Often they are very thin and nearly the size of a dinner plate.

At the state fair there are always many food trailers that sell giant tenderloin sandwiches on paper plates, with the tenderloin thin and nearly the size of the plate.

Several local restaurants have “Tenderloin Tuesdays.”

These giant breaded tenderloin sandwiches are mostly found at local Indiana restaurants rather than chains. Many mom & pop restaurants specialize in breaded tenderloin sandwiches and sugar cream pie, Indiana’s two famous foods.

Attachments

• IMG_6167.jpeg
    IMG_6167.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 4

The famous Indiana tenderloin sandwiches are huge. Most local diners serve them. Often the tenderloin is so huge that the bun it is on looks comically small.

Attachments

• IMG_6168.jpeg
    IMG_6168.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 6

Oh, enjoy all!

I love the Kringle pastries from O & H Bakery, especially the raspberry. I used to work in Wisconsin frequently and I became very found of fried cheese curds, custard, and Kringles.

Cincinnati chili is unique. It is a thick meat chili served on a bed of spaghetti and topped with beans, chopped onions, and a mound of shredded cheddar cheese.

They also serve coney dogs topped with chili, onions, and cheese.

The chili itself is seasoned with cinnamon and cloves.

Skyline Chili is a Cincinnati-style chain but there are many local and mom & pop chili parlors in Cincinnati too.

Attachments

• IMG_6170.jpeg
    IMG_6170.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 2
I'd call that a horse chestnut.
Buckeye trees are related to horse chestnut trees. The “fruit” of the Buckeye tree is smaller, deep red, very attractive but poisonous. The buckeyes appear to be lacquered or polished.

When we were kids we used to take our wagons to the park and fill them with buckeyes.

Thanks for the heads up great list, @IceIce9. I just got home from Grocery Outlet, and want to go over your list more in a minute. I keep spending more there everytime I go. They have a great cheese selection, and lots of new things to try out.

Got a lovely looking Lemon Meringue Pie for only $3.99. Oh, I got a box of frozen Potato Pea Samosas (like an empanada) just to try them.

This thing happens to me all the time. If something stands out once, it will come to me again usually within the same day. So, when I posted that article, I noticed pierogis on the list. I thought to myself that I never had a homemade one, and only once frozen ones. Sure enough, I saw a bag of frozen Pierogis for only $1.99 so I bought some. Do you eat them with some kind of sauce?
We love pierogis and always have a package or two in the freezer. Pierogis are typically served with sour cream. Some folks like them steamed or boiled, but we prefer them sauteed in butter and vegetable oil until crispy. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Comfort food at its best :)

Michigan born and bred. Foods from the above list with which I'm familar:

Meat pies - pasties. I first learned about this northern Michigan staple in college. Pasties are hand-sized meat pies filled with meat and root vegetables. In the dorm they were served with rich brown gravy.

I've had Chicago-style deep dish pizza (not a fan) but am more familiar with Detroit-style pizza. Square or rectangular, thick crust, with lots of cheese that gets crispy around the edges.

Subs, hoagies, grinders have always been popular in Michigan.

Cherry pie - actually anything "cherry". Traverse City, MI is known as the cherry capital of the world.

Coney dogs have long been a Detroit tradition. Never had one - too messy.

Pierogis are a staple in many households. We always have some in the freezer and like them sauteed with butter and vegetable oil. Some folks prefer them boiled. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Serve with sour cream.

Traveling (or walking) tacos were a very popular appetizer in the 70s/80s. I'm most familiar with the crowd-size version. Refried beans, taco-seasoned ground beef, sour cream, cheese, salsa or chopped tomatoes, guacamole or chopped avocado, scallions, black olives layered in a large casserole dish and served with tortilla chips.

Hotdish - I make a fabulous hotdish with chicken and wild rice.

The big food pickup was today and it was a lot!! I’m going make burgers right away and put the whole chicken on the rotisserie tomorrow. Those two things don’t seem frozen enough to put back in the freezer.

Lots of cookies and bread items and a GF item which is great! I might make coleslaw with the cabbage.

I’m not sure what to do with those thin steaks other than cook them right away. Maybe put them in my little cast iron skillet & make a sandwich? I’ll have to freeze some after it’s cooked.

I’ve never seen vegan whipped topping before. Those red peppers are huge. The corn husks look rough but the corn may be fine.

That little bottle of dressing is cute! We are not green apple fans. However, I have a frozen pie crust. I could make a pie from them.

My little foster furbaby, Joey is being adopted today! I now have 5 little jars of peanut butter to donate to the shelter.

Attachments

• IMG_4960.jpeg
    IMG_4960.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4959.jpeg
    IMG_4959.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4958.jpeg
    IMG_4958.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4957.jpeg
    IMG_4957.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4956.jpeg
    IMG_4956.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4955.jpeg
    IMG_4955.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4953.jpeg
    IMG_4953.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4952.jpeg
    IMG_4952.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4951.jpeg
    IMG_4951.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4950.jpeg
    IMG_4950.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 17
My mom made many varieties of hotdish only in Ohio and Indiana we always just called them casseroles. They are easy meals to mix and match ingredients that you have on hand to make a complete meal in one baking dish.

She had a poster on the wall of our pantry with several columns across. You were supposed to pick an ingredient from each column to make a casserole.

The ingredients in the first column were meats or proteins like ground beef, turkey, tuna, chicken, etc and the second column ingredients were starches like potatoes, spaghetti, beans, macaroni, rice, tater tots, hash browns, French fries. Another column featured vegetable choices, fresh frozen or canned corn, lima beans, broccoli , carrots,
tomatoes, green beans, etc. Then there was a column for condensed soup: cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, golden mushroom, cream of celery, etc. A column for all different types of cheese to select from. A column for optional ingredients like onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. Then the last column was for toppings like crushed potato chips, bread crumbs, French fried onions, etc.

As kids we were fascinated with that poster, at the bottom it had the total number of possible combinations which was a huge number. When I took algebra in 8th grade I knew how to calculate combinations and so I really enjoyed that poster.

Last edited:
I love the Kringle pastries from O & H Bakery, especially the raspberry. I used to work in Wisconsin frequently and I became very found of fried cheese curds, custard, and Kringles.

Trader Joe’s here (I’m in So Cal) periodically sells kringle from that bakery (at least, I’m pretty sure it’s that bakery).

I have only bought it once, and I think it was the raspberry one. Unfortunately, I found it too sweet for my taste. Which flavor do you think is less sweet tasting that I might look for next time? I love pastries and want to like it!
yum.gif

Trader Joe’s here (I’m in So Cal) periodically sells kringle from that bakery (at least, I’m pretty sure it’s that bakery).

I have only bought it once, and I think it was the raspberry one. Unfortunately, I found it too sweet for my taste. Which flavor do you think is less sweet tasting that I might look for next time? I love pastries and want to like it!
yum.gif
If you like cream cheese, the cream cheese, one is not as sweet, in my opinion.

My mom made many varieties of hotdish only in Ohio and Indiana we always just called them casseroles. They are easy meals to mix and match ingredients that you have on hand to make a complete meal in one baking dish.

She had a poster on the wall of our pantry with several columns across. You were supposed to pick an ingredient from each column to make a casserole.

The ingredients in the first column were meats or proteins like ground beef, turkey, tuna, chicken, etc and the second column ingredients were starches like potatoes, spaghetti, beans, macaroni, rice, tater tots, hash browns, French fries. Another column featured vegetable choices, fresh frozen or canned corn, lima beans, broccoli , carrots,
tomatoes, green beans, etc. Then there was a column for condensed soup: cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, golden mushroom, cream of celery, etc. A column for all different types of cheese to select from. A column for optional ingredients like onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. Then the last column was for toppings like crushed potato chips, bread crumbs, French fried onions, etc.

As kids we were fascinated with that poster, at the bottom it had the total number of possible combinations which was a huge number. When I took algebra in 8th grade I knew how to calculate combinations and so I really enjoyed that poster.
I was just about to ask what a hotdish was! But I know what a casserole is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back