Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Agreed. Some things cannot be "duped"! Lea & Perrins, HP Sauce and Kikkoman can't be replaced imo. Also Montreal steak spice. These are as necessary as salt and pepper!
I'm embarrassed to say this, but I've never done the Montreal spice mix (flush of shame, lol). I've got a lot of spices and I might be able to make my own version. Is it that good??

Actually, ok, I really can probably make my own, I've got all these/source...
Here’s what you’ll need to make this seasoning:

• 2 Tablespoons whole peppercorns
  • 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
  • 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons whole coriander seed
  • 2 teaspoons whole mustard seed
  • 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
  • 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

Trader Joe’s has some unique spices that we really like.

Their Fiery Honey Mustard isn’t really “fiery” but has a nice flavor. I add it to my macaroni and cheese recipe, broccoli rice casserole, scrambled eggs and many other things.

California Onion Powder is a little sweeter and has a better flavor than other onion powders I have tried. It’s great in mashed potatoes, sprinkled on baked potatoes, hash browns, etc.

Green Goddess seasoning is good sprinkled on salads, and in dips and dressing. Likewise the Ranch seasoning.

Hatch Chili Flakes are excellent for chili, tacos, fajitas, and casseroles. I like them in breakfast casseroles.

Ketchup Sprinkles and Everything But the Elote and other favorites.

Once I was shopping at Trader Joe’s and another shopper came along and began filling her cart with spice jars, taking literally every single jar of some varieties of the spices off the shelf. Completely filling her cart with spice jars. She was blocking the space in front of the spices so I said, “Excuse me” and picked up one jar of a spice I wanted, which happened to be one of the varieties she was filling her cart with. She gave me a not-so-friendly look so I grabbed my one jar of spice and left the area.

I wondered why she needed so many spices and mentioned to a friend who told me people sell Trader Joe’s products on eBay and Amazon at a huge profit, to people who live in areas where there are no TJ’s locations.

Not to get off the pasta thingy, but just a quick note on the sharp cheddar (which I love, and know many others on here do, too). Made little sausage muffins today and used sharp instead of mild cheddar. The sharp cheddar stands up way, way better to the sausages than the mild. From now on, I'm only doing sharp cheddar w/sausages because it really makes a difference.

Back to pasta, lol. There's nothing like a nice pasta salad in summertime!! They're so easy to make in a pinch. Just do some cavatappi and drench it in salad dressing. Sometimes I actually make the salad dressing, sometimes add all kinds of elaborate veg and/or nut surprises, maybe egg, cheese, too. If you can get the cavatappi, it's great for pasta salads because there's so much surface for the sauce to grab onto.
I'm going to make pasta salad today. I've been making the same pasta salad for decades - found the recipe in a magazine in the early '70s when I was a newlywed. I've never cared for mayonnaise-based salads of any kind (cole slaw, potato or macaroni salads) and was happy to find a pasta salad recipe that had an oil/vinegar-based dressing. The original recipe had scallions that I omit - not a fan of raw onion in most instances. My pasta salad includes fresh blanched broccoli florets, grape tomatoes, chickpeas, black olives, marinated artichoke hearts (with liquid), salt, freshly ground black pepper, Italian seasoning, and a bottle of Italian dressing or a simple homemade vinaigrette. I like farfalle (bow tie) or penne pasta for this salad, but you can use whatever pasta you like. When we have pasta salad as a main course like tonight's dinner, I add cubed deli salami and Provolone cheese.

Last edited:
I'm going to make pasta salad today. I've been making the same pasta salad for decades and found the recipe from a magazine in the early '70s when I was a newlywed. I've never cared for mayonnaise-based salads of any kind (cole slaw, potato or macaroni salads) and was happy to find a pasta salad recipe that had an oil/vinegar-based dressing. The original recipe had scallions that I omit - not a fan of raw onion in most instances. My pasta salad includes fresh blanched broccoli florets, grape tomatoes, chickpeas, black olives, marinated artichoke hearts (with liquid), salt, freshly ground black pepper, Italian seasoning, and a bottle of Italian dressing or a simple homemade vinaigrette. I like farfalle (bow tie) or penne pasta for this salad, but you can use whatever pasta you like. When we have pasta salad as a main course like tonight's dinner, I add cubed deli salami and Provolone cheese.
That sounds good, minus the cold pasta. I’ve never developed a taste for cold pasta. I don’t eat anything mayo based either. I don’t like raw onions but I’ll eat them cooked.

I’m assembling my corn beef meal. I think I may have added too much onion. The corn beef, peppercorns and 1/2 a large onion are in the crockpot. Once that’s done, I’ll drain the liquid and put it in a big pot. Then I can add my veggies to cook. This is so much, I may have to freeze some of the meat if it doesn’t cook down enough.

Lucy’s last day here is tomorrow. Her pawrent, Jen will take her back to the northwest, FL panhandle that is. It’s not really much cooler there actually. She sure has had fun, running in and out like a toddler. Following me all over the yard while I garden. Sniffing every hole and weed I dig up. It’s back to apartment life & walks.

Attachments

• IMG_5262.jpeg
    IMG_5262.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5263.jpeg
    IMG_5263.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 12
That sounds good, minus the cold pasta. I’ve never developed a taste for cold pasta. I don’t eat anything mayo based either. I don’t like raw onions but I’ll eat them cooked.

I’m assembling my corn beef meal. I think I may have added too much onion. The corn beef, peppercorns and 1/2 a large onion are in the crockpot. Once that’s done, I’ll drain the liquid and put it in a big pot. Then I can add my veggies to cook. This is so much, I may have to freeze some of the meat if it doesn’t cook down enough.

Lucy’s last day here is tomorrow. Her pawrent, Jen will take her back to the northwest, FL panhandle that is. It’s not really much cooler there actually. She sure has had fun, running in and out like a toddler. Following me all over the yard while I garden. Sniffing every hole and weed I dig up. It’s back to apartment life & walks.
Lucy will miss your yard!

Wow! My dinner was delicious! I don’t think I’d ever used red potatoes before. But they definitely add to the dish.

It wasn’t too much onion either. It doesn’t taste too salty but I will drink extra water. I have to ensure I flush out any fluid retention. I have a lot of leftovers for the week.

Attachments

• IMG_5269.jpeg
    IMG_5269.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 10
Trader Joe’s has some unique spices that we really like.

Their Fiery Honey Mustard isn’t really “fiery” but has a nice flavor. I add it to my macaroni and cheese recipe, broccoli rice casserole, scrambled eggs and many other things.

California Onion Powder is a little sweeter and has a better flavor than other onion powders I have tried. It’s great in mashed potatoes, sprinkled on baked potatoes, hash browns, etc.

Green Goddess seasoning is good sprinkled on salads, and in dips and dressing. Likewise the Ranch seasoning.

Hatch Chili Flakes are excellent for chili, tacos, fajitas, and casseroles. I like them in breakfast casseroles.

Ketchup Sprinkles and Everything But the Elote and other favorites.

Once I was shopping at Trader Joe’s and another shopper came along and began filling her cart with spice jars, taking literally every single jar of some varieties of the spices off the shelf. Completely filling her cart with spice jars. She was blocking the space in front of the spices so I said, “Excuse me” and picked up one jar of a spice I wanted, which happened to be one of the varieties she was filling her cart with. She gave me a not-so-friendly look so I grabbed my one jar of spice and left the area.

I wondered why she needed so many spices and mentioned to a friend who told me people sell Trader Joe’s products on eBay and Amazon at a huge profit, to people who live in areas where there are no TJ’s locations.
When the sriracha shortage was raging, bottles were going on eBay for astronomically high prices.

Never again!! Please, lol.

I'm going to make pasta salad today. I've been making the same pasta salad for decades - found the recipe in a magazine in the early '70s when I was a newlywed. I've never cared for mayonnaise-based salads of any kind (cole slaw, potato or macaroni salads) and was happy to find a pasta salad recipe that had an oil/vinegar-based dressing. The original recipe had scallions that I omit - not a fan of raw onion in most instances. My pasta salad includes fresh blanched broccoli florets, grape tomatoes, chickpeas, black olives, marinated artichoke hearts (with liquid), salt, freshly ground black pepper, Italian seasoning, and a bottle of Italian dressing or a simple homemade vinaigrette. I like farfalle (bow tie) or penne pasta for this salad, but you can use whatever pasta you like. When we have pasta salad as a main course like tonight's dinner, I add cubed deli salami and Provolone cheese.

That sounds really good.

Your mention of Provolone reminded me of this recipe, which I have tried a few times and which we both really enjoyed. I have struggled to find Provolone locally but other sliced cheeses work well.

When the sriracha shortage was raging, bottles were going on eBay for astronomically high prices.

Never again!! Please, lol.
I know! Sriracha is such a staple in my household and many others.

We’ve always stuck to Huy Fong’s sriracha, but I think next time I might try the Underwood Ranch version. If Costco still is selling it when I next need it, that is.

Did you read the behind the scenes story about the shortage? Underwood Ranch was the red jalapeño pepper supplier for Huy Fong for 28 years. Then, Huy Fong reneged on the agreement they had, and left the Farm with a huge chili pepper harvest and no buyer.

That is so annoying. Right at the start of lockdown when all the panic buying started, there was a guy in our local supermarket who filled his trolley with all the lettuces on the shelf - about 20 or 30. Not something you can hoard for long so probably looking to sell on or running a catering establishment? When the girl on the checkout told him new rules were that he could only buy 4 she got a round of applause from the rest of us in the queue :D

That is so annoying. Right at the start of lockdown when all the panic buying started, there was a guy in our local supermarket who filled his trolley with all the lettuces on the shelf - about 20 or 30. Not something you can hoard for long so probably looking to sell on or running a catering establishment? When the girl on the checkout told him new rules were that he could only buy 4 she got a round of applause from the rest of us in the queue :D
I was in Aldi’s a couple years ago, a man filled an entire cart with avocados. He literally took every single avocado.

I happened to get in line behind him and I heard him tell the cashier he owned a restaurant.

I was in Aldi’s a couple years ago, a man filled an entire cart with avocados. He literally took every single avocado.

I happened to get in line behind him and I heard him tell the cashier he owned a restaurant.
When the avocado trees ripen here, there are bands of thieves that will jump your fence in the middle of the night & strip your tree in minutes.

My tree is way at the back of my property. It’s only about 3-4’ tall and won’t fruit for probably 3-5 years. I don’t believe anyone can see it from the front 6’ fence panels.

That sounds really good.

Your mention of Provolone reminded me of this recipe, which I have tried a few times and which we both really enjoyed. I have struggled to find Provolone locally but other sliced cheeses work well.

This reminds me of a muffaletta. Has anyone ever made muffaletta?

INGREDIENTS​

• 1 large round bread loaf, 8- to 9-inches in diameter
  • 1 cup Creole olive salad
  • 4 ounces salami, thinly sliced
  • 4 ounces cappicola, thinly sliced
  • 4 ounces mortadella, or deli ham, thinly sliced
  • 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
  • 4 ounces provolone, thinly sliced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Pickled pepperoncini, for garnish
You get it all melty melty in the oven by wrapping it up in foil. It's nice! I'm not a big olive fan, so I do really, really very little olives on there.

INGREDIENTS​

• Salt and pepper
You get it all melty melty in the oven by wrapping it up in foil. It's nice! I'm not a big olive fan, so I do really, really very little olives on there.

Looks wonderful! I've used some of Chef Emeril's recipes in the past - especially the Creole seasoning for jamabalaya.

INGREDIENTS​

• Salt and pepper
I haven't ever made a muffaletta but had one in New Orleans. I recall watching Giada De Laurentiis make a muffaletta on one of her cooking shows. This would be a great summer meal - no cooking involved :D Thanks for the recipe.

Here's a recipe that sounds similar to your description of the Pork Tenderloin Surprises. Pork tenderloins can be boring and are often dry even if cooked medium to medium rare. I might try this recipe sometime.

I agree it's important not to overcook the pork tenderloin or it will become dry. I always make sure the onion slice is the first layer on top of the tenderloin, helps to keep it moist and infuse flavor.

When the avocado trees ripen here, there are bands of thieves that will jump your fence in the middle of the night & strip your tree in minutes.

My tree is way at the back of my property. It’s only about 3-4’ tall and won’t fruit for probably 3-5 years. I don’t believe anyone can see it from the front 6’ fence panels.
Some of my relatives had tomato farms in northwest Ohio. When the tomatoes were ripe people would park at the side of the road and fill up grocery bags and even bushel baskets with tomatoes.

If any of my relatives saw them they would walk over and speak to them, and what the tomato thieves would always say was some variation of “farmers have so many tomatoes they will never miss just a few baskets.”

The worst was two young teen girls, probably 12 or 14. I happened to be there and we walked out to talk to them. They had a stack of bushel baskets and were filling up two of them and working on a third. They told us their mother had dropped them off and told them she would be back to pick them up after the baskets were filled up.

I was for calling CPS but it wasn’t my decision. The girls were scared about being discovered so my relatives decided to leave them alone. Sad situation.

You know what I did yesterday was a meatloaf. And I can't believe I did it, it's so hot, but I did it anyway, lol. Ground beef, little milk, egg, panko, lotsa ketchup, ground mustard (generous), Worcestershire (generous), s&p of course, very generous garlic powder & onion powder. Couple of hits of tabasco. Big ole dollop anchovy paste. We did the meatloaf muffins, they cook faster. Sooo good, was glad I went heavier on the ketchup than usual, it tasted awesome. It was on the wetter side when I mixed it up, but it turned out great. Did no veggies with it this time and I thought I got a much better result. I think I might mix some onion soup mix into that next time, and some better than bouillon. Missed having actual green pepper and onion in there, but not that much, and when I do the green pep in there (celery and so forth), it gets way too wet and sometimes even crumbly. Happy with that one, lol.

Last edited:
Some of my relatives had tomato farms in northwest Ohio. When the tomatoes were ripe people would park at the side of the road and fill up grocery bags and even bushel baskets with tomatoes.

If any of my relatives saw them they would walk over and speak to them, and what the tomato thieves would always say was some variation of “farmers have so many tomatoes they will never miss just a few baskets.”

The worst was two young teen girls, probably 12 or 14. I happened to be there and we walked out to talk to them. They had a stack of bushel baskets and were filling up two of them and working on a third. They told us their mother had dropped them off and told them she would be back to pick them up after the baskets were filled up.

I was for calling CPS but it wasn’t my decision. The girls were scared about being discovered so my relatives decided to leave them alone. Sad situation.
Speaking of tomatoes...

I am extra careful even with produce! During the summer months especially, a lot of our produce is picked and packed by migrant workers for a very low wage. It's important to be mindful of who we are supporting and where our food is coming from. I had no idea there was a black market right in my produce section...

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) have arrested two London, Ont. men in connection with an alleged human trafficking ring providing labour to organizations across southwestern Ontario.

Police say 31 victims, all Mexican nationals ages 20 to 47 were rescued after searches at multiple businesses and residences across southwestern Ontario on June 8.

28 of the victims were male, and three victims were female, according to the RCMP.

The suspects had been advertising internationally for labourers to work in Canada, RCMP said on Tuesday. When they arrived, the labourers were placed at local businesses across the region.

"The labour was varied between processing plants to cleaning services, so a variety of those types of jobs," said RCMP Cpl. Christy Veenstra.

Victims' travel documents were allegedly taken from them, they were paid substandard wages and their living conditions bordered on inhumane, according to the RCMP.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousKet
Back