For love or money?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
golfmom said:
Well, EI you do realize that Raven is hampered with an extremely high level of debt. Oh wait, he created that mess himself. I think he's filed on a life insurance claim and is trying to sustain until a payout by begging. Damn those insurance companies for not paying out to suspected murderers. LOL
Ohhh, thank you GM, I forgot about the self imposed debt...stupid me:doh: .....of course strangers and friends, please send as much money that you cannot afford so that poor Raven can keep up that lifestyle he has stole for and is now accustomed to. God forbid he should actually sell anything to pay for his own debt. Hmmm....do we really think that when Raven collects the life insurance, he would be such a good guy and return the money to those that have contributed so innocently to his "fund"? Not betting on it!

ewwwinteresting said:
Ohhh, thank you GM, I forgot about the self imposed debt...stupid me:doh: .....of course strangers and friends, please send as much money that you cannot afford so that poor Raven can keep up that lifestyle he has stole for and is now accustomed to. God forbid he should actually sell anything to pay for his own debt. Hmmm....do we really think that when Raven collects the life insurance, he would be such a good guy and return the money to those that have contributed so innocently to his "fund"? Not betting on it!

Or pay back Janet's family for the funeral? Or even catch up on his tax bill?

Can't you just see him saying ...

"I have always relied on the kindness of strangers."​

golfmom said:
Well, EI you do realize that Raven is hampered with an extremely high level of debt. Oh wait, he created that mess himself. I think he's filed on a life insurance claim and is trying to sustain until a payout by begging. Damn those insurance companies for not paying out to suspected murderers. LOL
If Raven had a life insurance on Janet, there must have been a life insurance policy or paperwork in that house. In the search warrant, files were taken from the office...did any of them contain a life insurance policy?

ewwwinteresting said:
If Raven had a life insurance on Janet, there must have been a life insurance policy or paperwork in that house. In the search warrant, files were taken from the office...did any of them contain a life insurance policy?

If I was to *speculate* I would bet Mr. P.Ness hid any evidence of a life insurance policy from LE.

golfmom said:
If I was to *speculate* I would bet Mr. P.Ness hid any evidence of a life insurance policy from LE.
Hmmmm.....true especially if this is premeditated. So, birdman would have a certified copy of her death certificate to submit with the claim, however, the certificate would state under cause of death (homicide-stabbing).....in that case, insurance wouldn't pay out until the outcome of the investigation, right? What if this is a cold case? Is there a time limit that insurance companies have to pay out on a claim if no arrest is made?

ewwwinteresting said:
Hmmmm.....true especially if this is premeditated. So, birdman would have a certified copy of her death certificate to submit with the claim, however, the certificate would state under cause of death (homicide-stabbing).....in that case, insurance wouldn't pay out until the outcome of the investigation, right? What if this is a cold case? Is there a time limit that insurance companies have to pay out on a claim if no arrest is made?

IDK, you bring up some very ewwwinteresting points. I do know though that insurance companies hate to pay out and will drag their feet and look for any excuse they can, not to pay a claim.

Also, in the Peterson case there was a $250K life insurance policy that was paid, but it was put in a trust until after the outcome. Because, the law said that Scott could not profit from his actions.

golfmom said:
IDK, you bring up some very ewwwinteresting points. I do know though that insurance companies hate to pay out and will drag their feet and look for any excuse they can, not to pay a claim.

Also, in the Peterson case there was a $250K life insurance policy that was paid, but it was put in a trust until after the outcome. Because, the law said that Scott could not profit from his actions.
I am wondering if that is a universal law. Or does this vary state to state? Also, if Raven did kill Janet and could not profit from it. Which I would hope to be the case, would Kaiden get the money in some sort of trust or would the insurance company keep the money?

EXAMPLE:

http://www.krdotv.com/DisplayStory.asp?id=9606

Wade Mountz lost his wife to murder and now he faces the threat of losing his home because her life insurance policy is refusing to pay. Mountz tells News 13, ”They are using a technicality to keep from paying this claim, they are struggling every way they can.”

The policy pay out was denied because Beverly checked a box that says, “never smoked;” when she should have checked the box next to it which indicated that she had not smoked in more than a year.

Moxie said:
I am wondering if that is a universal law. Or does this vary state to state? Also, if Raven did kill Janet and could not profit from it. Which I would hope to be the case, would Kaiden get the money in some sort of trust or would the insurance company keep the money?

Every state's different, so we'll have to research to find out what NC's statutes are.

In the SP case, Laci's family became the heirs to her estate and it was supposed to be treated basically as if SP pre-deceased her.

SP is screwing around though and creating problems for Sharon in getting the life insurance. He doesn't want her to get anything until after all his appeals run out.

http://www.benefithouse.com/faq/life_insurance/settlement.html

Contested benefits
Insurance companies can refuse to pay death benefits, under certain limited circumstances, if you die within the first two years of a policy. The company's reasons could include:
The insured (now dead) committed fraud when applying for the policy.
The insured did not disclose a material fact on the application.
The insured committed suicide.
A weird happening can waive the two-year limit: If a beneficiary intentionally killed the insured person, the company can refuse to pay a death benefit no matter how long the policy has been in effect. This is true even if a court has not convicted the beneficiary of the murder.

golfmom said:
Every state's different, so we'll have to research to find out what NC's statutes are.

In the SP case, Laci's family became the heirs to her estate and it was supposed to be treated basically as if SP pre-deceased her.

SP is screwing around though and creating problems for Sharon in getting the life insurance. He doesn't want her to get anything until after all his appeals run out.
I guess it wasn't enough that he took away her child and her grandchild. He must feel compelled to continue to hurt her always.

Moxie said:
I'm thinking the policy doesn't pay because if Janet wasn't murdered by the beneficiary, she would still be alive.....I know, don't say it.....duh!

My understanding is that they pay out if the person dies naturally or by the hands of someone other than the beneficiary. There is a time limit on suicide though, usually a year?? I'm thinking Raven couldn't have had this policy, if he did, very long because of the financial situation.

golfmom said:

Contested benefits
Insurance companies can refuse to pay death benefits, under certain limited circumstances, if you die within the first two years of a policy. The company's reasons could include:
A weird happening can waive the two-year limit: If a beneficiary intentionally killed the insured person, the company can refuse to pay a death benefit no matter how long the policy has been in effect. This is true even if a court has not convicted the beneficiary of the murder.
Thanks for backing up my understanding with facts GM :)

golfmom said:

Contested benefits
Ok, this is big! I bet Raven didn't know this information.:doh:

If there was a policy on Janet's life and it was taken out recently, talk about having one "smoking gun" premeditated evidence for the DA!

ewwwinteresting said:
Ok, this is big! I bet Raven didn't know this information.:doh:

If there was a policy on Janet's life and it was taken out recently, talk about having one "smoking gun" premeditated evidence for the DA!

I found this by searching the following string

"North Carolina" "Life Insurance" Murder

golfmom said:
I found this by searching the following string

"North Carolina" "Life Insurance" Murder
Giving away your secrets super sleuther? :)

There is a big possibility Raven didn't read the fine print before setting his agenda in motion......which is now why he has his family begging for money from various states? Can't get money one way, try another?

ewwwinteresting said:
Giving away your secrets super sleuther? :)

There is a big possibility Raven didn't read the fine print before setting his agenda in motion......which is now why he has his family begging for money from various states? Can't get money one way, try another?

I like to share the wealth. :angel:

This is actually making much more sense to me now. Raven's family arrives in NC/VA for the funeral asking Raven what are you going to do? Well, I have a life insurance policy on Janet so that will help. Let me see it. Uhhh Raven if Janet was murdered within 2 years, it may not pay out. Oh, I didn't notice that. What am I going to do? No worries, this is a tragic event, we will play off the sympathy and ask everyone to contribute money.

ewwwinteresting said:
This is actually making much more sense to me now. Raven's family arrives in NC/VA for the funeral asking Raven what are you going to do? Well, I have a life insurance policy on Janet so that will help. Let me see it. Uhhh Raven if Janet was murdered within 2 years, it may not pay out. Oh, I didn't notice that. What am I going to do? No worries, this is a tragic event, we will play off the sympathy and ask everyone to contribute money.

LOL ... I'm thinking that he thinks once this little murder thing is cleared up that there's gonna be a big pay day. The hell with everyone who's supported him along the way.

As a point of reference -

In the Michael Peterson case, also local in NC, there was a million dollar or so policy on the wife who was murdered, Kathleen. The insurance company refused to pay out the policy until after the case was totally resolved - after Michael was found guilty. The beneficiary of the original policy was Kathleen's FIRST husband, but, she had completed the paperwork awhile back to change the beneficiary to Michael (althought she never actually signed the paperwork) , so all of that complicated things a little. In the end, the death claim was paid out to both the first husband, interestingly enough, and Kathleen's natural daughter - nothing to Michael.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back