For love or money?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
newkid said:
I'm not convinced that the cousins set up the trust fund. If it was them though, I think they just got caught up in trying to help any way they could. Then again maybe other members of his family are like Raven and are more concerned with looking good than in actually being good.
I think that is exactly right! It seems that the family is more concerned with appearance rather that substance.
What struck me when I read the news article, was that we are talking about a young women that was brutally murdered and the gist of the article was about triple chocolate brownies and how much the Abaroa family is helping...kind of like blowing your own horn was more important. IMO, it seemed to miss the point of how tragic it is that a young mother had died and that her killer is still walking free.

snapple said:
I think that is exactly right! It seems that the family is more concerned with appearance rather that substance.

and oops they forgot to mention those very important embezzlement charges in that article while they dwelt on brownie making! oh nevermind, that wouldn't reflect well on their appearance.
;)

ewwwinteresting said:
Maybe it's a mormon thing?
No, it's not a mormon thing. I think it's an Abaroa thing. Look at how he was raised--taking money where they could get money. And they saw the opportnity to cash in on a funeral and they took it. (BTW, what do people really do with the money that others send them after a loved one dies? I know a family that set up a college scholarship in memory of a daughter, but what do other people do with it?)

And Ewww--you bring up a good point about the fact that the article was written for an audience in CA, when Raven has not lived there for over 14 years! And then they start talking about brownies and lemonade stands in AZ when thousands of miles away and two months ago in NC a woman was stabbed in her home while her 6 month old baby slept in a nearby room. It sounds like, to me, whoever wrote this article was looking for a little noteriety. "Ooo, lookie here what we are doing. Aren't we sooo good?"

BTW, NCBanker--do you have the actual article? How was it given to you? Just curious since I couldn't find it online. I will be horrified if this is passed out to various wards in the San Diego area. Do you know if the newsletter requires subscription?

Ron and Helen Read, publishers

These are the folks that publish The San Diego Seagull, maybe if we can track them down we might be able to convince them to write another article.

golfmom said:
Snapple this is a very good catch! Who wrote this article to be published in San Diego about a family in Mesa AZ who is raising money for a family member in NC. Another one of those things that make you go ... hmmmmm

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't know how I keep forgetting important details along the way.

1. the article was published in San Diego geared towards a San Diego market.
2. it attributed family members in Mesa wanting to help i.e., brownie making
3. it would benefit Raven/Kaiden for the loss of Janet which occurred in NC
4. but the requested address to send donations is Utah

hmmmmm

I really think that this paper was snookered into publishing this article.

ETA and how curious is it, in this day in age, that this article was published in a paper that is virtually invisable on the web?

Jenifred said:
BTW, NCBanker--do you have the actual article? How was it given to you? Just curious since I couldn't find it online. I will be horrified if this is passed out to various wards in the San Diego area. Do you know if the newsletter requires subscription?
No, I don't have the original article. It was emailed to me by a concerned individual. I know nothing about the magazine/newsletter, though it appears Golfmom has done quite a bit of sleuthing to uncover its proprietors and their contact information. I think a followup article is certainly in order.

Jenifred said:
I was told that it is a subscription and that mostly mormons that live in the San Diego area subscribe. The newspaper is mailed out, not delivered. The newspaper is NOT published online. Some subscribers move, but keep their subscription so it can be mailed to all over. The email address I found for the editor or someone related to the editor is: Email to: kayread@juno.com.

This would jive with what you found out golfmom! So, those that don't want to call, can email. We also have Robbie Abaroa's email and phone number (thanks to golfmom!).

well..............it does look like a family affair over at the san diego seagull:

San Diego Seagull Newspaper
(619) 466-3255

Contact Person: Matthew Read
editor or someone related to the editor is: Email to: kayread@juno.com.

...i foresee kay read getting an inbox full of mail/questions/comments on the article...

...good job ewws and g/m on that contact info!

Mormons love projects. I can just see the Relief Societies (Mormon Women's groups) in the San Diego Wards buzzing with excitement...donating brownies, lemonade, tying quilts, anything that might be helpful or make them feel useful. As the daughter of an RS President, I say that very affectionately! I am sure that there are many people helping the "Memorial" Fund effort who have nothing but the purest intentions. That probably includes the publishers of the newsletter.

BUT...knowing how charming Raven can be...it makes my stomach turn a bit. OK, a LOT... Imagining his whole, extended charming fam damily abusing the generosity of well-meaning people.

You all are so right. Even if his family is concerned about Kaiden (which, I'm sure they are)...they know Raven's history. They can love him, but they can't ignore how he has recklessly handled money in the past. Not to mention the embezzeling. Asking for a nickel that Raven can get his hands on is beyond insulting.

juliagoulia said:
Mormons love projects. I can just see the Relief Societies (Mormon Women's groups) in the San Diego Wards buzzing with excitement...donating brownies, lemonade, tying quilts, anything that might be helpful or make them feel useful. As the daughter of an RS President, I say that very affectionately! I am sure that there are many people helping the "Memorial" Fund effort who have nothing but the purest intentions. That probably includes the publishers of the newsletter.

BUT...knowing how charming Raven can be...it makes my stomach turn a bit. OK, a LOT... Imagining his whole, extended charming fam damily abusing the generosity of well-meaning people.

You all are so right. Even if his family is concerned about Kaiden (which, I'm sure they are)...they know Raven's history. They can love him, but they can't ignore how he has recklessly handled money in the past. Not to mention the embezzeling. Asking for a nickel that Raven can get his hands on is beyond insulting.
...................exactly....abusing the generosity of well-meaning people.
...from what i've read here on the LDS church & members, i applaud their helping their fellow man............right down to the children doing what they can...

...i also don't fault the cousins ( from arizona ) telling their story to a reporter ( from san diego ) who's reaching out to 'wards' ( in utah) based on the grandmother ( from chula vista ) wanting the story out there, per her daughter ( raven's mom, who PRE-promoted it in NC.................or was it VA ?)

....the utah fund SHOULD be in the name of kaiden................in trust until he is of age...............
...if the mormon women's groups etc are " buzzing with excitement" to add to a fund that raven has access to..............to me, that is the sad part.....

lauriej said:
well..............it does look like a family affair over at the san diego seagull:

San Diego Seagull Newspaper
(619) 466-3255

Contact Person: Matthew Read
editor or someone related to the editor is: Email to: kayread@juno.com.

Kewl!!!! an email address! I'm sure that Kay will be receiving quite a few people's :twocents:

golfmom said:
Kewl!!!! an email address! I'm sure that Kay will be receiving quite a few people's :twocents:
Before I go tearing off an email to this address, are we sure that the email is going to get to the editors of this newsletter?

Jenifred said:
Before I go tearing off an email to this address, are we sure that the email is going to get to the editors of this newsletter?

My suggestion is a very kind inquiry if Kay is indeed affiliated with the publication and a nice outline of your interest and concerns. I believe these people have been mislead and taken advantage of.

Concerning insurance, Raven would have had the opportunity to insure Janet as his wife though Eurosport Human Resources before she ever started working there, as his spouse & I believe this would have been a rider to his policy. Then through COBRA he could have elected to continue the insurance coverage following his termination & would have had to pay for it. Janet then would have been offerred through Eurosport on her own as the Employee & the same right to continue coverage, as a result of COBRA, would have been offerred at the time she resigned by assuming the liability to make the monthly payments. When a person is in this age category, no physicals are required, the application is filled out & boom the coverage is in force, that goes with all insurance policies, assuming general good health at the time of application.

While this is true, the scenario is not likely as most people do not elect COBRA coverage. The cost is astronomical. If they couldn't pay their rent, the last thing they'd be worrying about is health insurance. Their COBRA payment would have been somewhere around $700-$800 per month.

altruist1000 said:
Concerning insurance, Raven would have had the opportunity to insure Janet as his wife though Eurosport Human Resources before she ever started working there, as his spouse & I believe this would have been a rider to his policy. Then through COBRA he could have elected to continue the insurance coverage following his termination & would have had to pay for it. Janet then would have been offerred through Eurosport on her own as the Employee & the same right to continue coverage, as a result of COBRA, would have been offerred at the time she resigned by assuming the liability to make the monthly payments. When a person is in this age category, no physicals are required, the application is filled out & boom the coverage is in force, that goes with all insurance policies, assuming general good health at the time of application.

NCBanker said:
While this is true, the scenario is not likely as most people do not elect COBRA coverage. The cost is astronomical. If they couldn't pay their rent, the last thing they'd be worrying about is health insurance. Their COBRA payment would have been somewhere around $700-$800 per month.

I don't know the laws on cobra, but doesn't that apply to medical coverage only, and not life insurance?

That's correct.

golfmom said:
I don't know the laws on cobra, but doesn't that apply to medical coverage only, and not life insurance?

golfmom said:
My suggestion is a very kind inquiry if Kay is indeed affiliated with the publication and a nice outline of your interest and concerns. I believe these people have been mislead and taken advantage of.
I agree GM. The individuals that put out the paper are not the "bad" guys, they simply thought the Abaroas would be honest. I hope if we ask politely that they run another followup article with the correct facts and giving the readers an opportunity to donate to the fund set up by Janet's family, they will. The facts, of course, will not show the Abaroas in the "look at us" light and the Abaroas will not be receiving any money from the funds donated to the scholorship fund.....hmmmm.......probably why they just happened to leave these items out!!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back