France - 5 shot, 4 dead in French Alps, may have int'l ramifications, 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reading between the lines "He is the first person to be arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder in connection with the case"

Sounds like there might be other/others to follow.

Anyone think it is worth looking out for a simultaneous arrest in France? Only....if the actual killer is still there, and gets to hear of the arrest in England, he would naturally flee. So maybe English and French police have worked together, to make arrests at the same time?

I'm trying to get the french search terms out of my handy translator (human kind).

Reading between the lines in the Telegraph article, it sounds like those calls to Romania were to line up the killers and the Nigerian fellow was hired by Zaid to try to access the father's Swiss bank account.

Oh. I'm not even going to attempt searching in Romanian.

I thought it was a double post at first! Great minds think alike.....

I had thought the child who was shot and pistol-whipped had died. It is wonderful to learn she survived. I hope anyone at all connected with this crime is brought to justice. It's horrific.

They say the little girl has recovered but earlier reports said she may have suffered some brain damage.
I hope not, poor little thing :(

Two sisters orphaned during a gun attack in the Alps in which four died are to be taken out of foster care and returned to their family – under police protection.

Young Zainab and Zeena al-Hilli have spent the last 10 months under the protection of social services.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Alps-shootings-cared-aunt.html#ixzz2aOHBkOSC
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2380306/Al-Hilli-murders-Sisters-orphaned-parents-murdered-Alps-shootings-cared-aunt.html

I hope these young girls can move on with their lives...not too tormented by the violent deaths of their parents.

He said Saad had “a certain form of obsession” about the inheritance dispute that concerned money and property left by the brothers’ father, Kadhim, who died in Spain two years ago aged 85.

Recorded phone conversations, together with computer records, were being studied at length, and could provide vital clues before Zaid is re-interviewed by police in October.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/french-alps-murders-saad-al-hilli-2256526#ixzz2eXvoBIzB
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/french-alps-murders-saad-al-hilli-2256526?tabPane=Comments (OK, it's from the Mirror, but how detailed would the investigation go to?

I know there hasn't been much new news on this case, and, I know that recent focus on this thread has been toward Said's brother, but I still can't shake the idea that perhaps SM wasn't the target or at least wasn't the sole target. I also feel a bit uncomfortable about BM's statement and whether he was a completely random observer.

I think I'll work on a timeline. There are just too many moving parts for my mind to handle at once. Why did so few people see the cyclists riding up the road? What happened that the al Hilli family was seen shortly after 3:00 heading up the mountain in Chevaline, but took a photo at 3:15 at Dessaud. When exactly did they head up there? How long were they there before they were shot? Why didn't witnesses see the bicyclists head up there? They saw the AH family. :waitasec:

If the killer was someone hired by SAH's brother, then why didn't anyone see a vehicle follow them up the mountain trail? Something just isn't fitting for me in this story.

Any other opinions are appreciated! This one is a true mystery and two young girls and a young boy have lost parents.

Snoopster wrote:

I know there hasn't been much new news on this case, and, I know that recent focus on this thread has been toward Said's brother, but I still can't shake the idea that perhaps SM wasn't the target or at least wasn't the sole target. I also feel a bit uncomfortable about BM's statement and whether he was a completely random observer.

I think I'll work on a timeline. There are just too many moving parts for my mind to handle at once. Why did so few people see the cyclists riding up the road? What happened that the al Hilli family was seen shortly after 3:00 heading up the mountain in Chevaline, but took a photo at 3:15 at Dessaud. When exactly did they head up there? How long were they there before they were shot? Why didn't witnesses see the bicyclists head up there? They saw the AH family. :waitasec:

If the killer was someone hired by SAH's brother, then why didn't anyone see a vehicle follow them up the mountain trail? Something just isn't fitting for me in this story.

Any other opinions are appreciated! This one is a true mystery and two young girls and a young boy have lost parents.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...necall-shot-dead-France-near-Lake-Annecy.html

I agree, nothing seems to add up. See the above Daily Mail article. Apparently the Brother was brought in for questioning but that is all (apparently "police Bail" in the UK doesn't mean much of anything)

All of the circumstances of the killing do not suggest a "Hit Man". It seems a lot more like a planned meeting gone bad. Nobody appeared to be following the al-Hilli vehicle.

I don't like coincidences and the facts that SM had what appears to be a "valuable" skill in the nuclear industry (who had recently obtained a leave of absence) and al-Hilli's ties with Iran raises a lot of questions. (could al-Hillie have been recruiting SM to work in Iran for their nuclear program?)

I suspect the child has been able to give some information and that has been withheld.

If this case does involve espionage, we can expect it go unsolved.

So, it seems that LE has 'narrowed it down' to 3 different scenarios:

1) feud with his brother over inheritance.
2) industrial intelligence related to SAD's work
3) someone else from Iraq trying to deny access to SAH's father's estate.

The first was a “violent” quarrel between Saad al-Hilli and his brother Zaid over their father’s €3-5 million inheritance.

Industrial espionage is now regarded as one of three possible explanations for the the Al-Hilli killings in the French Alps a year ago this week.

The second was a targeted hit by an unknown person or persons in Iraq, who wanted to deprive both brothers of their father’s legacy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/alhilli-killings-one-year-on-mystery-surrounds-the-quadruple-murder-in-the-alps-8801964.html

This definitely doesn't lead me to believe that they have a clue as to the motive behind the al Hilli murders. Yet, even though they don't have a clue, there is no mention of the possibility that SM could have possibly been a potential target.

I'm not saying that SM was a target, but it seems odd to me that this theory is pushed to the side.

All bets are still open. JMO.

SM was not on the roadway when he was shot. He was in the parking area next to the al-Hilli vehicle and very close to al-Hilli and his daughter. So close that blood splatter from SM hit both of them. This seems to strongly suggest that SM and al-Hilli were "interacting" when the shooting started. It is possible that SM just puled over to be friendly, but I would expect an assassin to "hold off" until the bicyclist was gone. Then there was the fact that SM was shot 5 times. Someone wanted him dead.

The one scenario I can see where SM is just "wrong place; wrong time" is if the gunman was some "crazy local" engaged in an argument with al-Hilli when SM showed up and perhaps tried to intervene. SM could have set the guy off.

Otherwise, I think it was some kind of "spook" stuff and SM was part of it.

I am going to think through a scenario.

Scenario - You are hired to kill SAD.

How would you know where he was going?

1) from the person who gave him directions or suggested the family go to Le Martinet. Apparently the daughter of the campground mentioned it to him (sorry, I don't have the source handy). I find it difficult to believe that this person happened to be the person hired or that they shared this information with the assassin.

2) the AH family talked to someone also staying at the campgrounds h, and told them where they were headed that day. (Assuming the people they told were connected to the assassin or was the assassin, the assassin would have had to have time to rush up to Le martinet ahead of the AH family.

3) The AH family could have been tracked by a device (whether a planted device on their vehicle or a GPS device on their phone). In this scenario the perp would have been behind them. They would have been seen heading up to Le Martinet after the family. Surely Brett Martin, the cyclist who came upon the scene shortly after the murder would have seen the perp heading up after the family.

4) You pre-arranged a meeting with SAD for that spot and beat him up there with the intent to kill him. Perhaps you didn't expect him to show up with his family. (Was he suspicious of the meeting set-up?)

5) You knew of someone else who set up a meeting with him. (SM? BM?)

To me, only #4 or #5 makes any sense. It would be too obvious to follow the family up there in a vehicle. You would either already have to know he was going to be there and get there ahead of him or you would have had to meet him there.

Is there another scenario that makes sense if SAH was the target?

4)

The BBC is doing a documentary on this Monday (a 'Panorama' special, entitled Murder In The Alps). Listings say "exclusive access to investigators" and witnesses who haven't previously spoken.

The BBC is doing a documentary on this Monday (a 'Panorama' special, entitled Murder In The Alps). Listings say "exclusive access to investigators" and witnesses who haven't previously spoken.

Darn...I cannot find it. Still searching

I don't think there's any mention online yet (I had a look so I could post a link). It's in the Radio Times as being broadcast on Monday at 9.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LVTRUCRIME
Back