France - 5 shot, 4 dead in French Alps, may have int'l ramifications, 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If it was a hit, maybe the killer used the passports as proof he made the kills. Why else take them? Unless serial killer took mementos.
BBM
Possibly, but there would be proof anyhow when the murders became public knowledge....unless the one who ordered the killings lived outside of the country. That would mean outside of England as well as France since word of the al-Hillis' murder would also reach their country of residence. Maybe passports were taken to delay ID of the victims and therefore delay/confound the investigation?

Was any ID found on SM? So little info has been released about him, not only by his family but also by investigators. I tend to agree with ZAH that a murder is likely to have local origins. Yet, that argument seems all too convenient. However, SM's FIL allegedly suggested that he take the route in question that fateful day, which would explain why he took a route unfavorable for a racing bike. SM may have been unfamiliar with the route and not realized the potential for damage to his bike. Also, this bit of info suggests that someone knew approximately where SM would be at the time of the murders.

On the other hand, someone would know where SAH was at the time of the murders only if a meeting had been previously arranged. Did SAH plan to take that route on that particular date? Did he leave a detailed itinerary with family/friends? Perhaps it was the al-Hillis who were lost that day....which is more believable than supposing an area native was lost. The family may have even taken the road randomly while sightseeing. If so, I wonder if SAH pulled off the road in the clearing because the older girl had to use the restroom. I remember my dad making impromptu stops along the road while on vacation when my sister or I had to use the restroom and couldn't wait to get to the next restroom facility.

Once SAH and the little girl were outside the vehicle and he directed her to a thicket for privacy, SAH may have spotted the gunman waiting in ambush (for SM). IMO, the killing of the family members was to eliminate witnesses to the murder of SM. Otherwise, the gunman would have ensured that the one girl was dead and searched the car for other occupants. As moslym3 noted, a hit man targeting the al-Hilli family would have known who all of his targets were and made certain they were dead. IMO, it didn't matter to the gunman that the older girl was only unconscious because his sole concern was that a witness could ID him/contact LE before he could make his get-away. SM, on the other hand, was shot 5 times because he was the intended target of the gunman.

When I first learned of the dispute between ZAH and SAH, I did have my suspicions. But, I admire ZAH for granting an interview under such circumstances. His responses seemed appropriate to me....even his insistence that there was no animosity between his brother and himself. There would not necessarily be hard feelings on his part if he were trying to defraud SAH. Yes, greed does often lead to murder and that's why I was suspicious of ZAH initially, but it does not lead to murder inevitably. To ZAH, his attempts to defraud his brother of their father's inheritance may have been more of a game of strategy to outwit his brother. It's not surprising that SAH was the angry one when he discovered his brother's treachery.

ZAH's response to the interviewer that he could not answer her questions about the fraud allegations, due to the ongoing investigation into the allegations, was also appropriate. If he incriminated himself or proclaimed his innocence during the interview, he would be precluded from getting a fair trial. IMO, the financial dispute between the al-Hilli brothers is just coincidental. :moo:

Wow you guys are quick off the mark. Only just saw this in the Daily Mail.

Fascinating case - will be interesting to see how this develops.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-french-police-arrest-suspect-al-hilli-family

However, French media reports said police remained cautious as to the possible involvement of the person taken into custody on Tuesday. They said he may be able to shed light on the murders without being a direct suspect in the killing himself.

http://www.france24.com/en/20140218-france-police-arrest-suspect-2012-alps-murder-case-uk-family/

The suspect is a 48-year-old man from the Haute-Savoie region in the French Alps, said Eric Maillaud, the Annecy prosecutor in charge of the investigation.

I guess this brings Sylvain Mollier back in as the real target.

I am wondering if the accused (are we allowed to name him here yet?) is related to the mountaineer Gerard [same surname] who was killed on Everest in 1974, on an expedition at which a Christian Mollier was also present.

He is a former police marksman,was reportedly sacked in October from his job as a city police officer in Menthon-Saint-Bernard.

He had since been working as a security guard at Geneva airport, 40 miles away in neighbouring Switzerland. His cell phone was tracked to area at time of murders.

A big mountain that kept to himself. IMO maybe the type that would kill for money and keep quiet...

Investigators have also uncovered alleged secret affairs which Mollier was trying to keep secret which may be key to the probe.

A police reconstruction has revealed Mollier received a call on his mobile phone from his ex-wife, Lydie, with whom he had two older boys, seconds before he died.

If he got a call while cycling, he may have stopped to answer the call, making a better target.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/french-alps-murder-picture-eric-3160241#ixzz2tjSHEPXU
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Wow....I was surprised to the see the big news today. Great progress!

Mr Maillaud said the man could not yet be named 'for legal reasons'. He reportedly lives in the village of Lathuile – a few miles from Chevaline and scene of another brutal gun murder in November last year.

Lathuile is also where Brett Martin, the British cyclist who was the first witness at the scene of the Al-Hilli murders, owns a home.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2561919/Man-arrested-France-connection-murder-British-family-French-Alps.html

Peace777 thanks for the link

snipped from link

A mobile phone belonging to the man was in the area of the crime on the day of the murders, according to local reports which also said old firearms were seized from his house.

A second raid also took place on a house in the village of Talloires, which had been recently purchased by the suspect and weeks later put up for rent.

Police were seen digging up the garden and carrying out searches using metal detectors.

Whatever is going on with the spelling of his name in the articles - it's all over the place?

So maybe, the bicyclist was the target, and this poor family stumbled into the middle of the assassination and was killed as a result?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back