Found Deceased France - Maëlys De Araujo, 9, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, 27 Aug 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is pretty irrational for the sister to cling to the belief it was all an 'accident' and her brother had no plan for a sexual assault.

Why would he take a child from a wedding party in the middle of the night, if not for sexual motives? This was not a kidnapping for ransom...sadly.

"The gendarmes had already sifted through the family home, (...) and an adjoining garage used as a shed and for storage.

In addition, the sofa of the living room was also seized by the investigators. After an initial scientific analysis, this element would have brought nothing new for the moment. But is still part of the elements to examine [...]

According to his chronology of facts (still incomplete today), Lelandais originally said he had placed the body of the child in tall grass behind a garden shed along a path a few hundred meters away from his home in Domessin (Savoie), on a neighbor's property. Again, technicians took samples to try to accredit this version given by the suspect.

No hearing without new elements:

The investigating judges have developed a long-standing hearing strategy in order to leave no room for the suspect to maneuver: no new hearings without having new elements which the former dog handler must be able to explain. He has only indicated, for now, "involontary accidental death" of the little girl without "wanting" to go into details.

An unsatisfactory response for investigators and magistrates. A new audition Monday must now take place to explain the circumstances and causes of the death of the little girl. "

http://www.leparisien.fr/faits-dive...l-de-nordahl-lelandais-14-03-2018-7608504.php

The case has been pretty clear cut from the get go.

To many coincidences for the suspect not to be the perpetrator it was fairly clear from the get go except for the how and where.

Grooming and girls DNA in his car did him in, it had no reason to be there whatsoever.
The girls DNA at his home was the final nail in his coffin after which he pseudo confessed knowing the body should have already been decomposed and mostly destroyed by the elemenets.

It's also very obvious why the perpetrator is downplaying his role claiming not to remember and that it was all an innocent accident, prison doesn't thread kindly on people like that, child molesters and child killers are literally the worst of the worst.
Many prisoners have children themself also, they eat such sick perverts like NL for breakfast.

This program (Sept à huit, TF1) aired soon after Maëlys vanished. Around the nine-minute mark, NL's mom is sitting on a sofa. She explains how she was up late, watching TV, when NL came home. She states she only saw his shadow, she knew it was him, but couldn't really see him (or his shorts) because the ironing board was in the way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=44s&v=luBefmo7C5Q

I can't get that couch out of my head. It is so small and filled with all these cushions! No one fits there next to the mother! Can't imagine the entire family watching TV together, or even two persons, there simply isn't enough room. IMHO this is Mum's space and not a family room. And she barricades it even more with the ironing board.

http://www.bfmtv.com/police-justice...it-un-individu-paume-et-vagabond-1375831.html

https://www.msn.com/fr-fr/actualite...hl-lelandais-le-raconte/ar-BBK9PJc?li=BBoJIji

Both articles relate an interview with one of NL's ex-pal. Nothing really new but it explains a bit more of NL's personality.

- He was a drifter, without real goal in life. He could spend 3 months touring the lake on his moto, then invite himself at someone's place and spend 4 months there.

- He would always be at the fringe of a group, not really belonging but always here, he would go to parties as "the friend of a friend".

- He never knew when to stop, he was drinking too much, his jokes were tedious, his behaviour boring.

- [BFM question] Could he have moments of madness? [ex-pal's answer] He could when under the influence of alcohol. With some mates they decided to burglarize a restaurant, and one of them cut himself. Then [to erase the traces] they decided to set the restaurant on fire.

- He was a scrounger, he would invite himself at people's place, whatever the hour.

- With women he would not take no for an answer and believed that if he insisted enough the woman would eventually yield.

- When a girl-friend broke up it was very hard for him because he thought himself superior [implied: he thought himself God's gift to women and how could they not see it?]

- RE the short NL claimed was thrown away: He was not someone who would throw away something belonging to him, he would keep all his belongings, even when broken or torn. I can't imagine him throwing away his short for a wine stain. [BFM link: "Ce n'était pas quelqu'un qui jetait ses affaires, il gardait toutes ses affaires, même si elles étaient cassées, déchirées. Je ne le vois pas du tout jeter son short pour une tache de vin"]

http://www.francesoir.fr/societe-fa...lys-soeur-nordahl-lelandais-harcelee-temoigne

3rd part of the interview of NL's sister. She explains that she did her best to keep apart when her brother was arrested, but soon the family link was discovered. People have been threatening her, they sent messages outing her to her employer (she is a medical secretary), they set up internet pages pretending to be from her. She has a small personal side-activity (making cuddly toys for children) and she can't sell one without someone commenting "your brother is a killer", and she cannot set up a website without it being pirated.

I still think she only preoccupied with how it impacts herself and her familly, but in no way it justifies this harrassment. People who do this maybe see themselves as righters of wrongs, but in reality they sadistic cowards.

"J'ai dû me coucher vers 2h15-2h30 du matin. Et je n'ai rien vu, mais ma tête à couper hein, la gamine je ne l'ai pas vue rentrer chez moi. Comme je l'ai dit, je n'ai rien vu, rien entendu", clame la mère de Nordahl Lelandais."

"I must have gone to bed around 2:15 to 2:30 a.m. And I did not see anything, but my head to cut off (I am certain of this, I swear) eh, the girl I did not see her come into my home. As I said, I did not see anything, hear anything, "exclaims Nordahl Lelandais' mother.

Some expressions are hard to translate. Let's just say she has a way with words... Yikes.

From the audio on RTL:

http://www.rtl.fr/actu/justice-fait...-mere-de-nordahl-lelandais-sur-rtl-7792631451

"J'ai dû me coucher vers 2h15-2h30 du matin. Et je n'ai rien vu, mais ma tête à couper hein, la gamine je ne l'ai pas vue rentrer chez moi. Comme je l'ai dit, je n'ai rien vu, rien entendu", clame la mère de Nordahl Lelandais."

"I must have gone to bed around 2:15 to 2:30 a.m. And I did not see anything, but my head to cut off (I swear?) eh, the girl I did not see her come into my home. As I said, I did not see anything, hear anything, "exclaims Nordahl Lelandais' mother.

Some expressions are hard to translate. Let's just say she has a way with words... Yikes.

From the audio on RTL:

http://www.rtl.fr/actu/justice-fait...-mere-de-nordahl-lelandais-sur-rtl-7792631451

BBM

Ancient expression. Meaning: the Lord be my witness

Nowadays, it does sound more like ISIS. And in the context of the murders of both Maëlys and Arthur Noyer..... very yikes. That family needs a lawyer or at least an expert spokesman for communications with the press.

IMHO if there was any indication at all that Maëlys had been in that house, be it dead or alive, the entire family would be behind bars too.

NORDAHL LELANDAIS: NEXT HEARING ON MONDAY ABOUT INTERNET CONNECTIONS

France Bleu
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/fai...r-de-sa-prochaine-audition-par-les-1521141701

The expertise concerning Nordahl Lelandais' internet connections will be at the heart of the hearing scheduled for Monday morning in Grenoble. According to a judicial source, the main suspect in the Maëlys case viewed child *advertiser censored* sites a few hours before and after the disappearance.

On Monday, Nordahl Lelandais will leave the Vinatier hospital unit in Bron (Rhône) to be heard once again at the Grenoble courthouse by the investigating judges in charge of the investigation into the death of Maëlys.

While the prosecutor of the Republic in Grenoble, Jean-Yves Coquillat, denied on Thursday the presence of DNA traces at the suspect's home, contradicting alleged leaks reported in the press, judges have many other grey areas to lift in this investigation, in their efforts to establish the scenario of that night on August 27 in Pont-de-Beauvoisin during which the 9-year-old girl was abducted.

This second hearing since the February 14 confession is another opportunity for the investigating judges to unravel the mystery of the circumstances of Maëlys' death. Until now, Nordahl Lelandais has remained silent on this point, contenting himself with stating without further precision that the girl's death occurred "accidentally".

But this thesis does not convince the investigators. Especially since the analysis of its Internet connections reveal a troubling element. The former military officer visited child *advertiser censored* sites the night Maëlys disappeared, but also the next day, Sunday, after the girl's death, a legal source told France Bleu Isère, and this before the gendarmes heard Nordahl Lelandais for the very first time as a witness in the evening.

The suspect's child *advertiser censored* inclinations will be at the heart of the hearing of the investigating judges on Monday. Unless this is cut short, like the previous hearing eight days after the confession. Lelandais had refused to answer the judges on the pretext that "he was in no condition", because of the heavy treatment he has been receiving since he was admitted to the Vinatier hospital unit in Bron.

BBM

A reportage on NL should air on BFM soon. I'll watch it but it doesn't seem there will be anything new.

A reportage on NL should air on BFM soon. I'll watch it but it doesn't seem there will be anything new.

Nothing new: NL was a quiet kid, not looking for trouble. When in junior high he was maybe sexually assaulted (dixit his mother). He left to join the army, where he was warned several times for indiscipline and drug use. He was eventually discharged after he sent a dart in a superior's eye [first I heard this - probably a Nerf dart and not a real dart or he would have faced a tribunal]. He then tried to start a K9 society, failed and spiraled downward.

MAËLYS CASE: LAWYER OF NORDAHL LELANDAIS UNDER ATTACK

LaDepeche.fr
https://www.ladepeche.fr/article/20...t-de-nordahl-lelandais-dans-la-tourmente.html

Exasperated by the alleged murderer's attitude, Maëlys' parents and their lawyer criticized Nordahl Lelandais and Me Jakubowicz who, according to them, supported his client in his denials.

Now that the analysis of Maëlys' bones has revealed a fracture to the jaw, will Nordahl Lelandais tell the judges more about the girl's death on Monday? Since the beginning of the case, the civil parties have doubted and criticised his attitude, which has revived the old debate on the rights and role of the defence. "Do not come and tell us that the defendant is working to find the truth," said Fabien Rajon, the lawyer for the girl's parents, on March 8, accusing the suspect's counsel, Alain Jakubowicz, of having supported him in his denials.

"By lying to everyone, he lied to me too," the latter justified himself after his client's turnaround and the discovery of the remains of the child. Nordahl Lelandais had the right to "express a truth that proved to be inaccurate," Jakubowicz said.
An "unacceptable" position in the face of the parents' pain, the civil parties retort. For them, Maëlys' family was "taken hostage" for six months by the defence when the case should have encouraged them to "cooperate" instead.

But is that his role? "Not at all, it is not apparent from any text. It is the judge's duty to find out the truth; the lawyer's duty is to defend his client. This does not prevent him from inciting his client to confess when the evidence is there," according to Me François Saint-Pierre, a criminal lawyer from Lyon known in particular for having defended Maurice Agnelet in the Agnès Le Roux case. The word "truth" does not appear either in the decree of 12 July 2005 on the rules of ethics of lawyers or in the national internal regulations of the profession, nor in the oath taken by its members.

Many criminal lawyers believe that it is even better to "have a doubt about guilt," according to Edwige Rude-Antoine, research director at the CNRS. To build his defence, the lawyer wonders about the "credibility of his client's word" in relation to the elements of the case, both prosecution and defence; he is "in search of the plausible" and "free to discuss adverse evidence" - a "card" that the defence could not "play" in the Maëlys case, in the eyes of the parents' lawyer.

"It is none of your business," Jakubowicz replied to journalists who asked him, while he was arguing against the accusation, if he was convinced of Nordahl Lelandais' innocence.

"It is not up to the lawyer to ask this question to his client," says Me Saint-Pierre. Since the suspect's partial confessions, the debate has shifted to the moral field: should lawyers for alleged perpetrators not encourage their clients to confess, rather than defend their interests? At the risk, sometimes, of abusing the presumption of innocence.

In another highly publicized case, that of the death of Alexia Daval, the public prosecutor in Besançon, Edwige Roux-Morizot, deplored the fact that this principle was "flouted every day" at the time of the husband's arrest, by hammering that he had "the right to modify his statements, to specify them, to adjust them, and this throughout and until the end."

BBM

That is sad.

When a lawyer defends someone accused of a repulsive crime some people feel that the lawyer defends the crime. But lawyers job is to defend their clients. Until recently NL claimed to be innocent and Alain Jakubowitcz could not declare that even he, his lawyer, didn't believe him. His role was (still is) to defend NL's interests.

Before the discovery of Maëlys body he had probably explained NL the different paths he could choose: "If you are responsible of her death, the jury will be more indulgent if you disclose where the body is", "If a third person is involved, it is in your interests to reveal his name", etc. It was NL's choice, not his lawyer's, to deny everything until confronted with a proof.

and just in case you all forgot, which probably isn't true....

Monday, March 19th:
*Hearing - France - Maëlys De Araujo (9) (Aug. 27, 2017; found February 15, 2018) - Nordahl Lelandais (34) arrested (9/3) & indicted for kidnapping & forceable confinement of a minor younger than 15; being held in jail. Confessed on 2/14/18. Maleys' DNA found in his car (on dashboard & in trunk; when body found analysis of Maëlys' bones have revealed a fracture to the jaw).
Also indicted on 12/20/17 for murder in the case of the disappearance of Arthur Noyer (24), a young soldier who vanished last April, 2017 in Chambery. Was in court 2/5 and interrogated for 10 hours regarding Arthur Noyer's case.
2/14/18 Update: Nordahl confessed to killing Maelys accidentally, led police to her body.
2/22/18 Update: The investigators were waiting to learn more. But Nordahl Lelandais would have preferred to remain silent, refusing to answer the investigating judges' questions. The interrogation lasted only about ten minutes. The suspect categorically refused to speak on the subject. So the hearing ended abruptly. Under medical treatment, the former soldier told the judges that his heavy treatment put him in a state where he could not answer the questions and, requesting some time, he explained that he would do so.
2/22/18: NL on heavy medication", is not able to answer questions. Moving to March.
3/9/18 Update: For the first time, Nordahl Lelandais admits to having crossed paths with Arthur Noyer. Before the investigating magistrate, he admitted to having picked up the young man on the night of his disappearance from a nightclub in Chambéry (Savoie). Nordahl Lelandais is still not acknowledging that he killed the young soldier. he charges against him are overwhelming. On the evening of the Corporal's disappearance, the two men's phones were geolocated at the same location and followed the same route for part of the night before turning off. Arthur Noyer's skull was found last September on a forest road 15 kilometres from Chambéry..
3/15/18: The investigating judges have developed a long-standing hearing strategy in order to leave no room for the suspect to maneuver: no new hearings without having new elements which the former dog handler must be able to explain. He has only been indicated, for now, "involuntary accidental death" of the little girl without "wanting" to go into details. An unsatisfactory response for investigators and magistrates. A new hearing on Monday, 3/19 must now take place to explain the circumstances and causes of the death of the little girl. The
expertise concerning Nordahl Lelandais' internet connections will be at the heart of the hearing scheduled for Monday morning in Grenoble. According to a judicial source, the main suspect in the Maëlys case viewed child *advertiser censored* sites a few hours before and after the disappearance.

I guess I could shorten this a bit....

NORDAHL LELANDAIS: CASE OF MISSING ADRIEN FIORELLO REOPENED

Ouest France
https://www.ouest-france.fr/faits-d...drien-fiorello-rouvert-par-la-justice-5631239

While Nordahl Lelandais who confessed to having killed little Maëlys is being heard this Monday by the courts, another case has been reopened. According to information from BFM TV, the gendarmes will investigate the disappearance of Adrien Fiorello.

Is Nordahl Lelandais accused of the murders of Maëlys and Arthur Noyer involved in other disappearance cases? That's what Justice is looking into.

According to information from BFM TV, the gendarmes will investigate the disappearance of Adrien Fiorello after the prosecutor's office in Saint-Etienne requested the prosecutor's office in Chambéry to formally attach the file.

Adrien Fiorello has not given any sign of life since October 6, 2010. On that day, the 22-year-old left his home in Firminy (Loire) to go to law school in Saint-Etienne.

An initial investigation had determined that his mobile phone had pinged in Chambéry. Something that surprised his family. "Adrien had absolutely nothing to do in Chambéry at the time," his mother, Marie-France Fiorello said. The latter then assumed that "there was perhaps a connection with the disappearences in Savoie or Haute-Savoie".

This is all the more disturbing when you consider that Nordahl Lelandais was living in Chambéry at the time. It was there that Corporal Arthur Noyer disappeared on the night of April 11-12, 2017. The former handler is the prime suspect in this case. He was indicted on 20 December for murder. On February 5, he admitted to having picked him up without confessing that he had murdered him.

BBM

Nothing new so far. The hearing is still underway, that's almost 4 hours now. I do hope he is confessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member