France - Two dead, 11 injured in Strasbourg Christmas Market shooting, 11 December 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

gregjrichards

Reaction score
At least two dead after shooting in Strasbourg, France
"PARIS -- A shooting in the French city of Strasbourg killed two people and wounded 11 others, officials said, sparking a broad lockdown and major security operation around a world-famous Christmas market Tuesday. Authorities said the shooter remains at large.

French prosecutors said a terrorism investigation was opened into the shooting, though authorities haven't announced a motive. It's unclear if the market - which was the nucleus of an al-Qaida plot in 2000 - was targeted. The city is also home to the European Parliament, which was locked down after the shooting.

The gunman has been identified and has a criminal record, according to Interior Minister Christophe Castaner. The prefect of the Strasbourg region says the gunman had been flagged as a suspected extremist."

Islamist terrorist identified, was wanted for a robbery, still on the run

At least two people were killed and 12 injured in a shooting at the Strasbourg Christmas market on Tuesday, December 11. The alleged shooter, still being sought, is on file S. Aged 29 and born in Strasbourg, he was supposed to be arrested on Tuesday morning but he was not at home, a police source told France 3. The inhabitants of the city are urged to stay at home. The anti-terrorist section of the Paris Public Prosecutor's Office is in charge, the Minister of the Interior Christophe Castaner and the Paris Public Prosecutor Rémy Heitz are going to the area.

Two dead and eleven wounded. The provisional toll is two dead, six seriously injured and six slightly injured. The white plan has been activated, announces Strasbourg University Hospital in franceinfo. The prefecture opened a public information hotline on 0 811 000 667 and a medical-psychological hotline was opened.

The shooter has been identified and is still wanted. According to information from franceinfo, the CCTV cameras filmed a sniper, who allegedly acted with a handgun and a knife. He was wounded in a firefight with the Sentinel soldiers. Aged 29 and born in Strasbourg, he is on file S for Islamist radicalisation and was due to be arrested on Tuesday morning for a robbery that went wrong in August, but he was not at home. The search in his absence yielded a grenade and documentation, according to France 3.

The anti-terrorist section of the Paris Public Prosecutor's Office is taking up the investigation. An investigation is opened on the charge of assassinations, attempted assassinations in connection with a terrorist enterprise and criminal terrorist criminal conspiracy.
This investigation is entrusted to the SDAT, the DIPJ Strasbourg and the DGSI. The Paris prosecutor is on the way to the scene.

Macron shortened the meeting at the Elysée, Castaner sent there. The President received the parliamentarians at the Elysée, but disappeared to follow the situation in Strasbourg live. The Minister of the Interior, Christophe Castaner, has been sent to the area. Prime Minister Edouard Philippe has activated the inter-ministerial crisis cell.

The targeted Christmas market. The incident occurred just a stone's throw from the city's famous Christmas market, the largest in France. As a reminder, an Al Qaeda attack was foiled there almost 20 years ago, as reported in Les Dernières nouvelles d'Alsace.

BBM

Wikipedia: Opération Sentinelle (English: Sentinel Operation) is a French military operation with 10,000 soldiers and 4,700 police and gendarmes deployed since the aftermath of the January 2015 Île-de-France attacks, with the objective of protecting sensitive "points" of the territory from terrorism. It was reinforced during the November 2015 Paris attacks, and is part of an ongoing state of emergency in France due to continued terror threats and attacks.

this would be him:

cheirf.jpg

source: فرسان للأخبار on Twitter

The name Chérif C. is mentioned in the French press as well.

LIVE: Anti-terrorism authorities investigate deadly #Strasbourg shooting

At least two people were killed and 12 injured in a shooting at a Christmas market in central Strasbourg on Tuesday, police said, adding that the suspected gunman has a criminal record and is on the run

According to BFMTV, the suspect would have fled the Christmas Market in a taxi.

BFMTV on Twitter

A taxi ??? Let's hope this is an accomplice and NOT an innocent taxi driver........

More about the taxi:

EN DIRECT - Coups de feu à Strasbourg: le tireur, fiché S et âgé de 29 ans, toujours recherché

The shooter fled the Christmas market in a taxi

According to our information from corroborating sources, when he fled from the Strasbourg market, the shooter took a taxi. The driver told the police that the suspect was injured. He was wounded by a member of Operation Sentinel.

BBM

At least two dead, 11 wounded in Strasbourg shooting
"City authorities said the market and all cultural attractions would be closed on Wednesday.

Some 26,000 individuals suspected of posing a security risk to France are on the "S File" watch list, of whom about 10,000are believed to have been radicalised, sometimes in fundamentalist Salafist Muslim mosques, online or abroad.

A spokesman for the European Parliament said the building had been shut down and staff ordered to stay inside.

Police in Germany have said they are strengthening controls at the Franco-German border near Strasbourg."

Strasbourg, a witness: "I saw the shooter flee by taxi"

"I saw an armed man block a taxi, make people get out and drive the car away."

"He had shot a person, a man was lying on the bridge. Then the victim was taken to the restaurant where we were stuck and they tried to revive him but he didn't make it. He's dead, he's right here in front of me."
This is the dramatic story made at the Adnkronos by MEP Giovanni La Via.

"We are closed in a pub, we had just passed the Christmas market, we heard screams and now the center is blocked by the police. We cannot go out and we do not know what is going on outside", is how the press officer for the European Parliament, Valentina Parasecolo, who was in Strasbourg for the plenary session, explained the Agi. "I am with my husband and daughter, who is a year and a half old, and we are following the updates on Twitter. It is an indescribable situation, many of my colleagues have been stuck in the European Parliament."

"I heard the blows, six or seven, and saw two women on the ground, they were hit and one was screaming, I ran to take cover. We are here in an inner courtyard in the centre of Strasbourg, the police have evacuated the area", says Marco Affronte, MEP of the Greens, to the Agi.

Neither the death toll nor the number of assailants is yet clear. According to the first rumours, the killer fired an automatic weapon and then fled.

BBM

Thinking of everyone affected tonight especially those who have died and the injured. I hope they catch him ASAP. Thank you everyone for all your updates and posts I was at a concert tonight so was unable to follow developments closely. I just hope and pray this is not the start of more attacks this Christmas and New Year.

The gunman who shot and killed at least least three people and 13 others injured at a Christmas market in Strasbourg, northeastern France cried 'Allahu Akbar' as he opened fire, prosecutors say.

Strasbourg shooting at Christmas market leaves 3 dead and 13 injured | Daily Mail Online

Police identified the shooter as Cherif Chekatt, a Strasbourg-born 29-year-old with a criminal record who is known in Islamist extremist circles and a designated 'threat to the state' on the security services' watchlist.

Chekatt was identified by DNA and CCTV images, sources told French media. Police had initially gone to his home earlier on Tuesday to arrest him over an unrelated armed robbery, but found him missing. Reports said grenades were discovered at his home.

A threat to the state?

Who is known in Islamist extremist circles?

And yet he and many more others like him walk around freely.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back