GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I said...if you've got something to do with this little baby, you can't talk to me. I'm your auntie," said Obley. "He said 'Auntie, I don't even know the boy. I don't have anything to do with that.'"

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Brunsw...75880/19439744/-/item/1/-/8t4s9y/-/index.html

That is the part that has me confused. So the 14 y/o didn't know DE and Debra Obley didn't know DE. But DE was with the 14 y/o when he shot Antonio, then they went to the 14 y/o's aunt's mother's house ( I don't want to presume Grandma). Then DB picked up the boys from there and drove them elsewhere.

My thoughts are....possibly the 14 y/o had a very poor lapse in judgement accompanying this unknown 17 y/o down the street and inviting him to his aunt's mom's house? He unwittingly was involved in an alleged attempted robbery and murder? Or auntie is trying to keep 14 y/o out of trouble by putting the blame on the 17 y/o.

I agree, the Aunt of the 14 year old not knowing DE would suggest the two boys are not related.

MOO on this is that the younger boy is someone who has been skirting the edges of some of the gang stuff and may have looked up to DE or those like him.

I get the feeling he was not aware that he would be involved in shooting a baby in the face but that he was along for the ride and looking to hang with the "cool" dude. He may have been up for criminal activity but I highly doubt he expected it to be shooting this precious baby in the face.

Not that I am mitigating for the younger teen, just saying I don't think the two boys discussed their day ahead of time and that discussion included anything about killing this child.

I tend to agree with Donjeta that this was not a planned thing. Attempted robbery may have been, but I think this was all about face for DE and things escalated from there.

I hope these kids are prosecuted to the fullest.

I agree, the Aunt of the 14 year old not knowing DE would suggest the two boys are not related.

MOO on this is that the younger boy is someone who has been skirting the edges of some of the gang stuff and may have looked up to DE or those like him.

I get the feeling he was not aware that he would be involved in shooting a baby in the face but that he was along for the ride and looking to hang with the "cool" dude. He may have been up for criminal activity but I highly doubt he expected it to be shooting this precious baby in the face.

Not that I am mitigating for the younger teen, just saying I don't think the two boys discussed their day ahead of time and that discussion included anything about killing this child.

I tend to agree with Donjeta that this was not a planned thing. Attempted robbery may have been, but I think this was all about face for DE and things escalated from there.

I hope these kids are prosecuted to the fullest.

That is what I was getting at, you just say it better. Next time I'll just wait for your reply then agree with you. :great:

That is why I was inquiring about an autopsy. Surely one was done and it just hasn't been reported, otherwise what prevents the defense from saying the boy was dead in the stroller when shot by the perps?

I thought you raised an interesting point. Found this GBI Medical Examiner's site which states:

Death cases are reported to the Medical Examiner’s Office by coroners, deputy coroners, and law enforcement. The Medical Examiner’s Office determines if an examination will be performed. This office investigates deaths that fall under one or more of the following categories:

Those deaths that are apparently homicidal, suicidal, or occurring under suspicious or unknown circumstances
Resulting from the unlawful use of controlled substances or the use or abuse of chemicals or toxic agents.
Occurring while incarcerated or while in the custody of a law enforcement officer .
Apparently accidental or following an injury.
By disease, injury or toxic agent during or arising from employment.
While not under the care of a physician during the period immediately preceding the death.
Related to disease which might constitute a threat to the health of the general public.
In which human remains have been disposed of in an offensive manner.

So, it appears autopsies are routinely performed for all deaths in those categories.

HC, nice to see you down there, counting the minutes along with you on our show ;)

Also want to acknowledge all our guests down there and invite them to join Websleuths and share their thoughts.

Please do acquaint yourselves with Terms of Service before diving in to post though :)

The GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigation) was involved with this case. I'll bet my bottom dollar an autopsy was performed.

The GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigation) was involved with this case. I'll bet my bottom dollar an autopsy was performed.

Yes, we cross-posted. :) It's routinely done in cases of suicide, homicide, etc. (see above post).

And cool about the antiquing in that neck of the woods. Hope this all doesn't spoil your future vacations to the area.

"I said...if you've got something to do with this little baby, you can't talk to me. I'm your auntie," said Obley. "He said 'Auntie, I don't even know the boy. I don't have anything to do with that.'"

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Brunsw...75880/19439744/-/item/1/-/8t4s9y/-/index.html

That is the part that has me confused. So the 14 y/o didn't know DE and Debra Obley didn't know DE. But DE was with the 14 y/o when he shot Antonio, then they went to the 14 y/o's aunt's mother's house ( I don't want to presume Grandma). Then DB picked up the boys from there and drove them elsewhere.

My thoughts are....possibly the 14 y/o had a very poor lapse in judgement accompanying this unknown 17 y/o down the street and inviting him to his aunt's mom's house? He unwittingly was involved in an alleged attempted robbery and murder? Or auntie is trying to keep 14 y/o out of trouble by putting the blame on the 17 y/o.

I believe the 14 year knows DE and that is just what he told his aunt when she confronted him about his friends odd behavior.

I think the Aunt does not know DE but the 14 year old was lying to his aunt in an effort to shut down the conversation. MOO

Is it possible that if the 14 year old talks, he will be given immunity? The mom of the baby did report to police that the younger boy did stand behind the older, so it doesn't seem the younger one was directly involved in the crime. Unfortunate for him, he was probably draged into this mess merely by being with this older . He told his aunt that he didn't really know him. I guess that is possible, just someone to hang around with. Why wasn't the 14 year old in school? I bet this younger kid is really freaked!

Is it possible that if the 14 year old talks, he will be given immunity? The mom of the baby did report to police that the younger boy did stand behind the older, so it doesn't seem the younger one was directly involved in the crime. Unfortunate for him, he was probably draged into this mess merely by being with this older . He told his aunt that he didn't really know him. I guess that is possible, just someone to hang around with. Why wasn't the 14 year old in school? I bet this younger kid is really freaked!

Maybe (?)...but I'd guess LE wouldn't want to promise him that until the gun is found (or until they can know for certain he wasn't the shooter).

Just because 14 year old told his aunt he didn't know DE doesn't make it so. And I don't think he is going to get immunity.
They could promise him a better deal.

I can see them giving him immunity.
With terms.

Like if you talk to us and our investigation shows you were "just there", you will be immune to prosecution.

If we find out your involvement was more, the immunity deal will be voided.

Something like that happened in the Venus Stewart case with DS's accomplice Ricky Spencer. He only served 1 year for his involvement. And he had A LOT more involvement than it seems this kid may have had.
It was clear the deal would be off the table if he refused to testify at the trial.

He testified against DS and is now free man after serving only a year. IMO he should have served a lot more. But I don't think they could have convicted DS for Venus' death had Ricky Spencer not testified.

Sometimes you have to let the little fish go to catch the big one.

JMO

I think the immunity would be like he doesn't get charged with felony murder, but something lighter, but he's still going to juvie IMO.

Finally found this article. It refers to GA law on trying a juvenile as an adult.

"District Attorney Jackie Johnson said she has many decisions to make, including whether to try the 14-year-old defendant in Superior Court rather than Juvenile Court.
“It’s too early to tell,” Johnson said. “It qualifies under the seven deadly.”
Georgia law said anyone between 13 and 17 can be tried as an adult if they commit any of “seven deadly sins.’’ Murder tops the list.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2013-03-23/story/shaken-neighborhood-reflects

Yoda, thank you so much for posting that article. I found out the rough area I had previously spoken about is called Dixville.

Maybe the defense will be that the trigger was pulled by accident ... that the gun just fired ... etc :rolleyes:

From what I understand anyone 13 or up can be charged and tried as an adult in GA if they murder, rape, etc (referred to as the seven deadly). If a minor is charged and tried as an adult, it is my understanding they cannot face the DP, but I am unsure about LWOP.

In other words, it is at the discretion of the state to decide whether to charge the younger as an adult or a juvenile, but a juvenile tried as an adult may not face the same sentencing as an adult would.

Wally Mathis’ home of 10 years sits on Ellis Street in the next block from where Antonio was slain.

His friends Santiago and West didn’t have the means to buy a car themselves, Mathis said, so he and Frank Van Delinde bought a used Buick together and sold it to them on time.

“They paid every week, never missed a payment, until they paid it off,’’ Mathis said.
Ellis Street has become the thoroughfare between public housing to the west and Dixville to east.

Mathis said that he hears people going by at all hours, there have been break-ins, some unreported and sometimes he hears shots in the night.

But it was the shots at 9:15 Thursday morning in broad daylight that changed so much.
“I can’t fathom it, shooting a baby in a stroller, asleep,’’ he said.

But people adjust. They’re out walking Union Street again, riding their bicycles and sitting on their porches, but one scene will be missing.

“Most every day, you’d see her out strolling the baby,’’ Mathis said of West.

And Santiago won’t cross Union Street as often to West’s house.

“Lou? He was crazy about that baby,’’ Mathis said.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2013-03-23/story/shaken-neighborhood-reflects#ixzz2OVx6slKZ

This is so sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member