Found Deceased GA - Bud, 69, & June Runion, 66, McRae, 22 Jan 2015 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Brittany Patterson, the Runions’ daughter, said her father had wanted the car ever since he returned from duty in Vietnam in 1966."

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/missing-marietta-couple-left-buy-car-posted-craigs/njwSX/

Weird, this reminded me of the Dermond case for some reason, I guess an elderly couple, then i noticed their daughter was a PATTERSON, wasn't the Dermonds daughter married to a Patterson? Probably nothing to it, but so odd.

MCrae is probably 2or3 hours south of the dermonds

Prayers to them and the family!

While the Craigslist ad does make this sound like a possible fake deal, it could also be they had an accident. In water, the cell phones would be rendered useless near the same time. Searching the normal roadways where they would have been driving is a good place to start and noting the grass on the sides of the road for any disturbed areas or tire tracks. LE has the more difficult areas already going by air and search teams, but family and friends could easily check the roadways for signs of an accident.

While I think the accident idea is a possibility, you would think the person they were supposed to meet would be trying to contact them and be trying to find out what happened and why they didn't show....

"Brittany Patterson, the Runions’ daughter, said her father had wanted the car ever since he returned from duty in Vietnam in 1966."

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/missing-marietta-couple-left-buy-car-posted-craigs/njwSX/

Weird, this reminded me of the Dermond case for some reason, I guess an elderly couple, then i noticed their daughter was a PATTERSON, wasn't the Dermonds daughter married to a Patterson? Probably nothing to it, but so odd.

MCrae is probably 2or3 hours south of the dermonds

Prayers to them and the family!

The Dermond's daughter is Leslie Dermond Patton.

U
I find the timing odd. If they were still in McRae at 5:30 pm- the sun would be setting in 30 minutes. They were looking at a 3 hour drive back to Marietta. Regardless of whether they were towing the car, or driving separate cars, it doesn't seem like a time people of that age would choose to be out towing or driving an unfamiliar car. Doesn't look good at all - but hope for the best! (and above all - praying for their safe return).

Yes, Judy, I thought it was odd they arrived in McRae around dusk. This might have been part of the perp's plan. Easier to commit a crime in the dark.

IMHO

I find the timing odd. If they were still in McRae at 5:30 pm- the sun would be setting in 30 minutes. They were looking at a 3 hour drive back to Marietta. Regardless of whether they were towing the car, or driving separate cars, it doesn't seem like a time people of that age would choose to be out towing or driving an unfamiliar car. Doesn't look good at all - but hope for the best! (and above all - praying for their safe return).

hmm, maybe they arrived in McRae much earlier, for what ever reasons, didnt' get out earlier than planned and were/are still there

Maybe their kids misunderstood? Maybe the seller needed to meet after working hours (thus the 5:30 time) and they intended to stay overnight and then drive back first thing in the morning? Yes, they still should have been back by now but am wondering if the timeline and maybe search areas are wrong.

Oops....those are links to places we aren't allowed to post here, I think. I would really like to read it though. Curious to see more about what is leading authorities to say this about a "trap."
Praying for the Runions tonight...and their family too. I know they are beside themselves with worry.

shefner, the last sentence is apparently a direct quote from one of the forbidden sites -- if you google that sentence (in quotes) I believe you will find one of the sites.

It sounds like the daughter knew they were going that day, but they could have arrived earlier that the 5:30 time. That creates a lot more possible scenarios with that amount of time.

36 guests on this thread -- sign in, or join up, and join the discussion to help find Bud and June.

I hope every effort is being made (and I'm sure it is) to find the true identity of the person or persons who were offering the car (real or fictitious) and where the meet-up spot was to be. If this WAS a trap, it is possible --let's hope and pray -- that Bud and June have not been badly harmed but have been restrained and left somewhere near the rendezvous site.

NEVER EVER meet anyone off Craigslist unless you are going to meet in a heavily populated area where there are plenty of people to witness you being there.

Or better yet, meet at the police station and conduct business in the lobby!

Just because you're in your sixties doesn't mean you suddenly become timid about driving if you weren't before. Even if it took an hour or two to close the deal, they'd still be home before midnight.

I'm assuming they were both in good health -- their activities certainly seem to indicate that.

I agree. I have had a bad feeling since I first saw it posted. Bud doesn't look that strong to me and I fear he would not have been much of a match for any nefarious person.

So many people have posted maybe they went on vacation. They didn't take any clothes and were supposed to babysit their grandchildren on Friday.

One of the daughters posted on FB that Cobb county dropped the ball and didn't get McRae involved until 12 hours later. It is also more worrisome to me, that it appears Bud posted the ad. I fear there never was a car and that they met some evil person.

You have to be cautious at all times these days. Personally I don't think people need to start using the police station for transactions such as this. Can you imagine if everyone did that?

Just watched one of the news reports and it says they are not releasing info as to the bank accounts.

I'm glad to see it seems to be spreading well news wise - I keep seeing it pop up on twitter and it's on the side of FB as a trending topic (and I have and still see those trending topics, so that bodes well since I know many use - and as nothing else is over there, those trending topics tend to catch my eye) and I heard it as a news break also...

http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/missing-marietta-couple-left-buy-car-posted-craigs/njwSX/

COBB COUNTY, Ga. —

Police are desperate to find a Cobb County couple who they say could be in danger.

The man and woman headed to South Georgia to buy a car, and have not been seen since.

The daughters of 69-year-old Elrey “Bud” Runion and his 66-year-old wife, June Runion, say they first became concerned when the couple did not show up to babysit their grandchildren Friday.

They told Channel 2’s Liz Artz they will not allow themselves to think the worst, and are just focused on the efforts to find them.

“If someone has taken them, we have forgiven that person, because God tells us to love and forgive,” daughter Virgina Owens said.

The couple’s daughters held back tears Saturday as they talked about their last conversation with their parents.

“He was excited about the car. He had one when he got back from Vietnam,” daughter Stephanie Bishop said.

She said her father had posted an advertisement on Craigslist. He wanted to buy a 1966 Ford Mustang. Someone responded, she said, and even sent a picture. Bishop said her parents agreed to meet in Telfair County.

The couple left their Marietta home Thursday at about 2 p.m. They were last seen driving a 2003 champagne-colored GMC Envoy.

“We are worried that someone might have done something bad and taken advantage of them," daughter Brittany Patterson said.

Runion was a Vietnam War veteran, his daughters told Artz.

They say the couple left with their cell phones and chargers, but that no one has heard from them since 3:30 p.m. Thursday.

Their daughters created the*"Find Bud and June Runion"*Facebook page and are asking that everyone share it. The page had more than 30,000 likes by Saturday night.*

More at link

IF they were carrying that much cash and somebody else found out about it, it could be a robbery by someone other than the Craigslist person.

While that may be true, you would think, then, that the person who had responded to the Craig's List ad would come forward. This case is all over the news.

She said her father had posted an advertisement on Craigslist. He wanted to buy a 1966 Ford Mustang. Someone responded, she said, and even sent a picture. Bishop said her parents agreed to meet in Telfair County.
The couple left their Marietta home Thursday at about 2 p.m. They were last seen driving a 2003 champagne-colored GMC Envoy.

This reads to me as though her dad was the one that posted the ad on Craigslist, someone contacted him in regards to it, and then they drove to a prearranged spot to meet. That "spot" could have been almost anywhere, including out in the middle of the boonies.

There would have to be some sort of electronic communication between the two of them, but if it was a throw-away phone, it may be almost impossible to track it's source if it was disabled prior to them meeting. Taking the battery out and throwing it in the weeds would pretty much do it. No further pings from that number.

Hopefully these two folks had phones of their own that can be tracked, at least to the general area they vanished. I think this whole case is going to hinge on how technologically savvy the "seller" is.

More than likely the conversation went something like this..... "I have three other people that are interested in buying this car, the first person that shows up with the money can drive it home"................

I don't think they are going to be able to track this through a Craigslist ad, since her Dad was the one that actually posted the ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95