Found Deceased GA - Bud, 69, & June Runion, 66, McRae, 22 Jan 2015 #2 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So -- having seen Josh, do you think there is any possibility that one of the photos released WAS misidentified?

(Just remembering that several posters have remarked "He looks different in every picture.")

I don't think so. I believe it was because he had lost so much weight. His brother, when interviewed, was very thin. He probably has dropped some weight fast.

Is it common for someone to name a suspect, and then say, "They come from a good family"? Just wondering, I'm not used to seeing that. Small town thing?

I was a bit surprised by that too. I was also surprised that he told what the manner of death was. I know most cases I have followed, do not do that and you only find out during the trial. I liked what I saw from that sheriff and not that it matters but he has a gorgeous wife. Ha. He seems like a real strait shooter. And talk of corruption, the sheriff in that county was convicted of that very thing back in 2004 I believe, so maybe that is why keep seeing the word corruption associated with Telfair county. To clarify, I mean the previous sheriff his name was Jimmie Williams and it was 2008 not 2004 as I said before.

I was a bit surprised by that too. I was also surprised that he told what the manner of death was. I know most cases I have followed, do not do that and you only find out during the trial. I liked what I saw from that sheriff and not that it matters but he has a gorgeous wife. Ha. He seems like a real strait shooter. And talk of corruption, the sheriff in that county was convicted of that very thing back in 2004 I believe, so maybe that is why keep seeing the word corruption associated with Telfair county.

I know nothing of the man (the Telfair Co. Sheriff), but I have thought he has handled himself very well in the glare of media spotlight, from what I've seen anyhow.

Is it common for someone to name a suspect, and then say, "They come from a good family"? Just wondering, I'm not used to seeing that. Small town thing?

That is a good question. I personally have never heard a statement like that in reference to someone who has committed the unthinkable. I understand this is a small town, but even at that when you have a bad guy in your town, you have a bad guy in your town and (mind you I am only stating this from experience of a depraved cousin who ended the life a a bright and beautiful girl) the LE in a small town KNOW when they have a bad guy roaming the streets. Do the LE get into such a lull that "nothing that bad can happen in our town" and believe their citizens are upstanding because their parents were?

That is a good question. I personally have never heard a statement like that in reference to someone who has committed the unthinkable. I understand this is a small town, but even at that when you have a bad guy in your town, you have a bad guy in your town and (mind you I am only stating this from experience of a depraved cousin who ended the life a a bright and beautiful girl) the LE in a small town KNOW when they have a bad guy roaming the streets. Do the LE get into such a lull that "nothing that bad can happen in our town" and believe their citizens are upstanding because their parents were?

I didn't take that away from what the sheriff said. I bet reporters have been asking: "What can you tell us about this guy? What about his background?" I don't think the simple comment "He comes from a good family" was out of bounds, but of course that's JMO. I more think, if trying to hear "between the words", it might be a reflection that yeah, the sheriff is pretty shocked that this guy is in THIS kind of trouble. Not out of complacency or naivete, but just because, well, who expects this from someone who apparently has not been in serious trouble before, apparently not normally violent, etc. I do know that yes, LE sees that kind of "transformation" (from "pretty good guy" to "guy who looks like he's done a terrible thing") pretty often -- but I bet plenty LEO are still shocked, sometimes.

I've been following this case, but haven't posted until now. Wow, this case is just horrible! I wish the time could be reset to before Bud placed that ad, sigh. That something like this happened to the Runion's is just so awful, it's hard to put into words what all I feel. Very disturbing and sad this case is.

My opinion is that RT planned on murdering the Runions from the get-go. Once he contacted the Runion's, their fate was sealed. It sickens me to type that, but that's what I think. Like others here, I think this RT is evil, and it shows in his eyes and his smirk. Margarita25, you put into words exactly what my impressions were when watching RT! And like others here, it's been difficult to sleep, for thinking about this case. I find myself wondering how anyone could do this to this couple, and though I've been following true crime and these cases for years, with some cases, and this is definitely one of those, where I just keep asking why? I can't get my mind to "go there" in this case. I just don't understand.

Bud and June Runion, and their family are in my prayers, and so are RT's family. This whole thing is just so very sad, and so very wrong, it's so unsettling. I don't quite have the words ...

I hope we find out more soon. I have confidence in this Sheriff, and I think we'll come to learn they have all the evidence they will need to convict RT on all counts.

Here is a link, to an article, about the prior sheriff' Jimmie Williamson that I spoke about earlier. I mention this because, he was convicted to 36 months, even though this article was written prior to conviction, this part stood out to me:

He also is accused of accepting bribes from people arrested in Telfair County in exchange for reducing or dismissing pending charges and for granting special privileges for people housed in the county jail, according to the release.

This could be why there have been no previous arrests for RT. Something to think about. Mr. Williamson pleaded guilty to the charges.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2008/12/24/3877107.htm

Link to his plea and conviction.

http://gapublicsafety.blogspot.com/search/label/williamson

Here is a link, to an article, about the prior sheriff' Jimmie Williamson that I spoke about earlier. I mention this because, he was convicted to 36 months, even though this article was written prior to conviction, this part stood out to me:

He also is accused of accepting bribes from people arrested in Telfair County in exchange for reducing or dismissing pending charges and for granting special privileges for people housed in the county jail, according to the release.

This could be why there have been no previous arrests for RT. Something to think about. Mr. Williamson pleaded guilty to the charges.

Definitely could be why no previous arrest for RT.

I think probably not all that uncommon to say something like that, in a small community, especially if the media is asking about the suspect's background. Which, IMO, the media has been.
I agree. Not uncommon at all in a small town. It was a courtesy to a family he held in esteem, imo. He knew they would do the right thing and they did.

Yea but he didn't need to murder them if it was only about money, I think this was more than that.

Perhaps his intention was "just" to rob them and be done with it, but then found out they didn't have money on them, and then was irate and killed them?

Or killed them because he realized they weren't ones that would take being "held up" and not manage to ID him or something and so he felt that he had no option once it went wrong?

But I also wonder if he might have tried the "hold up" thing, and perhaps Bud WAS armed and pulled out a weapon of his own and so then he felt like he had no choice? And if he still had some degree of advantage (the element of surprise) while Bud was going on reaction, those split seconds before Bud could shoot him, he shot Bud and then killed June?

Very interesting.

BBM

It seems the rural "good kid" has a past, but nothing that suggests violence.

Denial is natural. No parent wants to see their son or daughter involved in a crime.

As for "something else is going on" ...perhaps the father should ask that question of his son, not LE?

As for "evidence could have been planted" ...motive? An attempt to punish the individual whom they could never charge with previous crime(s)? Unlikely.

Finally, "mountain of evidence"...it seems a straighforward case, then. LE has him dead-to-rights?

Bluster or fact?

not that he's not guilty, but if someone else was involved, he could be the scapegoat, he bought the phone, that could be a way to set him up, I know people in those towns and hear all kinds of things, nothing is ever impossible, I have and do wonder at his nanchalant attitude, could be just his deameaner and no feeling, could be that he's waiting for his attorney to fix it, who knows

I guess if someone had guns pointed at both of you and the (you) victims had no weapons readily available, how would you respond initially, if held too long you might take a chance and fight back, IDK, initially you hope it's not going to happen? .just speculating

I woke at 330 am thinking about this couple, terribly tragic to happen to anyone especially those who appear
to be such kind people, seems that's how it always goes, so sad

I really do wonder how this all went down, I watched the "kid" sign and was watching his hands, thinking the hands that kill, so eery

but, innocent until proven guilty

The Sheriff is using pure "Southern Speak" in saying that Jay comes from a "good family." Perfectly normal talk and nothing we would think twice about here, except to say, "Well bless his mama's and daddy's hearts."

Perhaps Bud and June were thinking of going to a bank in McRae to finish the transaction? I only say that because hubby and I did that once. A man made a purchase from us and he looked at the item first, then asked us to follow him to the nearest bank where he got the money and paid us and the exchange was made there at the bank. I'm scared to make any transactions now...and I'm glad all of our downsizing is done.

Perhaps his intention was "just" to rob them and be done with it, but then found out they didn't have money on them, and then was irate and killed them?

Or killed them because he realized they weren't ones that would take being "held up" and not manage to ID him or something and so he felt that he had no option once it went wrong?

But I also wonder if he might have tried the "hold up" thing, and perhaps Bud WAS armed and pulled out a weapon of his own and so then he felt like he had no choice? And if he still had some degree of advantage (the element of surprise) while Bud was going on reaction, those split seconds before Bud could shoot him, he shot Bud and then killed June?

shot Bud and then had to get rid of the witness.......of course how do you rob someone and not expect they aren't going to report you and know your face?

such a mess, so tragic

Does anyone wonder why it took til Monday to locate the car sticking out of the pond and the couple nearby, if you know the person you are looking for, would you not go near his home to begin your search? why the stakeout in Jacksonville, it was reported RT lived with his parents, I presume in the MH on webb cemetery road?? the one he deeded back to his father and the reports also imply they lived on that road, but another report said his mother said someone "planted" evidence in his trailer, was he not living at home? was he living in a trailer in jacksonville ga?? on one people finder site, I located a ronnie towns IN MCRAE and a ronnie adrian towns on webb cemetery rd......but Was just thinking there were 3 then 4 helicopters reported in the searches plus a plethora of other search teams and locals, that car was clearly visible and there was talk of water early on, dont' recall where that is coming from in my head, but an almost white car in a black pond near the family home seems would be quite visible from above, it stuck out like a sore thumb in those photos even from a distance

also, early on someone reported it took 24 hours, was it saturday, until the search began, when were they reported missing? Friday? So i guess you have to get a team together so that makes sense if not until saturday searches, the daughters reported friday they didnt show up to babysit so mustve been friday reported missing, between 2 counties I guess it takes time to get your bearings straight, still wonder why stakeout in jacksonville ga

Just still some unanswered questions

I agree. Not uncommon at all in a small town. It was a courtesy to a family he held in esteem, imo. He knew they would do the right thing and they did.

I think he spoke truth, small town , everybody knows everybody, in bibb one might not know the family because of transients and larger town or even in houston county

exactly

sure we have, it's almost always stated that the parents are good people or some such when some kid goes bad, or APPARANTLY goes bad suddenly, I've heard that in many cases but this sherriff KNOWS everyone there, whats the population? 50? joking, nothing like the larger counties above there, we all know there is most likely always, one person in a family that is bad or trouble or different.............unless the parents taught him this, they aren't accountable, he grows up in a corrupt town, probably more influenced than others, he was the quiet one, probably a follower and he learned from the streets because his thought patterns were different than his parents

sure we have, it's almost always stated that the parents are good people or some such when some kid goes bad, or APPARANTLY goes bad suddenly, I've heard that in many cases but this sherriff KNOWS everyone there, whats the population? 50? joking, nothing like the larger counties above there, we all know there is most likely always, one person in a family that is bad or trouble or different.............unless the parents taught him this, they aren't accountable, he grows up in a corrupt town, probably more influenced than others, he was the quiet one, probably a follower and he learned from the streets because his thought patterns were different than his parents

I should have clarified I have never heard a statement like that from an LE (have heard plenty of friends and family though!).

Hi all- I'm new so pls excuse if I miss something. Trying to keep up.

Trying to make sense of how Sheriff initially identified Towns as a contact w/ Runions, interviewed him, let him go and then named him as prime suspect again, within what seems like just over 24 hours?

Saturday, 1/24, 1 p.m. update from Sheriff says the couple's 'believed' last location is McRae but they don't know if they actually made it. Quotes seemed odd, imo. (Source: Telfair SO Fb page * I read that SM is off limits but Telfair SO's Facebook page has all of their updates posted there with dates and times and I can't find another location of this info quickly. Can this count since from LE?)

Sunday, 3 pm suspect named. Sheriff says he was interviewed earlier, now wanted basically for lying to investigators and theft by deception.
http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/missing-marietta-couple-left-buy-car-posted-craigs/njwSX/

So based on this, guessing Sheriff talked to Towns Sat night/Sun am. What led them to him? Fox 5 reporter (at 10 pm) just said investigators say it was the phone. Not sure if they can trace phone pings to location or if it was a specific call tracked back. Either way, wouldn't it be a red flag if missing couple just 'happen' to make possible last call to a phone they believe RT has/had? If they let him go because he told them he didn't have the phone, wouldn't there be some follow up questions before letting him walk? Of course he's going to say that. How did he explain his way out? I guess this depends on how concrete they felt the info was but they ID'd him as possible suspect early on ... And no one else mentioned.

Also, just like previous poster said, despite his family saying he's such a good guy (paraphrasing), he had previous "brushes with law." Like regarding what? http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/deputy-suspect-couples-disappearance-has-no-prior-/njxt9/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

last article said he'd been questioned in prior investigations, i guess we have to look at the law, you can't hold someone for nothing, if he answered teh questions and did not cause alarm then they'd have to continue to investigate and later found out he lied, I dont' know how exactly. Originally I had read the first article on his warrants of theft by deception and the other, I thought they were outstanding warrants not new ones, so wondered why he wasn't held also, but article was misquoted or i read it wrong and those charges were new/current charges from the Runions case

anyway, since he had no prior "arrests" there was no need to suspect he'd murdereed someone? They know he probably was a kid who followed the crowd but came from a good family so didn't suspect it truly until they continued investigating. You can't charge or arrest someone for suspicion but I guess if they have probably cause (is that a fine line to suspicion?) you can detain them for questioning, not sure what they finally found in order to call him suspect, I mentioned that early on, he was never named a "person of interest" as in for questioning, they had something, ok planted on him or real, trial will reveal ( i hope)

also, LE probably had their guard down? does this happen? You and kids grow up in that town, everybody knows everybody, kids never had any arrests or criminal encounters, enough to cause concern in this case possibly, I think he stated he didn't have that phone or it wasn't his or something, they knew he bought it, early on FB FIND page, the daughter or Runions stated they had conflict with ATand T giving out the information about the phone, I wondered also why it took MONTHS for Sheriff Sills in Eatonton to obtain phone records for the Dermonds, when in this case, one phone call and ATT was revealing phone information, unless the one of the kids had their bill passcodes and acted as the Runions when calling but ATT wasn't being cooperative they said, so..or unless someone had power of attorney for "just in case" situations as they were getting up in years, who knows but that was another of my questions

Does anyone think the Runion's let him get in their car? This would explain how he overtook them, that is, if he were sitting in the back seat, he could have shown them his gun.

didnt' his children or friends say that he gave rides to someone in the past,probably thought he was a harmless kid? Sounds plausible, tire tracks wouldhave been washed away becuase of fridays torrential rains (any rain would have) stating that because wondering still if he just rode with them or he followed, no tire tracks in RT driveway to know if they picked him up, taking them out back to his property to look at car? Maybe some story like, it's out in the pole barn or shed on the property, maybe passed through a gate if one existed so they wouldn't think a thing of it, we've done that in some genealogy research, poor old guy in his 80's rode with us though, we trusted him and he trusted us, thank God we were all sane, but drove out onto his property through a gate to get to the old cemetery, i envision somehting similar to get to car stored in outbuildings that wasn't actually Towns land tho

It's in the video of him in court, not just the mug shot.
His whole demeanor, and the LOOK in his eyes, tells me a lot, in my opinion.
IMOO.

I didnt' really see evil, I was alerted only to his calm deameanor, I never thought he was smirking, but I could be wrong, he just seemed (in my mind assessing it all putting myself in his shoes)like he was trying not to act guilty or something, he sure didnt' seem to have any feelings and certainly no emotion, whatever that would imply, if anything

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slatchautoclinic
Back