Found Deceased GA - Bud, 69, & June Runion, 66, McRae, 22 Jan 2015 #2 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BBM: If RJT was out of work, taxes were owed on the property and Jay had no money to pay them, deeding the land back over to his dad would make sense. Depending on the situation, the elder Towns might have had a lower (or no) tax base for the land. Better than losing the land, if that were the case.

It occurred to me that we are all thinking that the Runions were lured down with the promise of a restored car. But what if they were offered a restorable car for a decent price, instead? I have worked on many old cars (50's era) and picked up several vehicles that had been sitting for years. They were a bit rusty and needed interior and/or engine work, but they looked great with a little paint and some re upholstery work. Some I had to swap out engines and that was common back in the day, so a Carfax type of things would be useless. Even if Bud did not want to fix it up himself, a solid body on '66 Mustang with all it's parts might have been a possibility for him. It would explain being willing to drive and look at it without checking the VIN. Anything that has been sitting around usually hasn't been registered in ages, but you can find some real gems that way. It's a thought.

Jumping off a drug dealer thing, and feeding my paranoia, could someone else have bought the phone in RJT's name, done all this and left it on RJT's doorstep? RJT went off to the woods because LE/GBI scared the crap out of him, and even if he didn't do it, was sure he was going down? I mean, how do we KNOW the Runions actually talked to RJT and not someone else on that phone? I'm still waiting for more information, like fingerprints, gun powder residue, and what evidence they found in RJT's home. Anything valid will tip me off my fence. (My fence being 3 sided-did he do it alone, with someone else, or was set up)

His mother said "FRAMED!" in the background of that family video

about his brother someone mentioned.........His brother was crying because it's a horrible place for his brother to be if innocent (or guilty) and the whole family was in shock adn feeling trapped and in a corner, and if wronged, that will make you emotional if no one is listening and it's out of your control and everyone is comig down on your brother, I'd be crying too

OH and it's a perfect frame job if he was but we still don't know where the armed robbery charges came from, anything could have happened, I would think you'd need ID to purchase a phone though if they need to register it, as it was registered, thats how they got his name or video of him making the purchase or both?? IDK,

Considering that I found a Facebook page for RAT, I think he was technologically savvy enough to buy a burner phone and use Craigslist..... he probably just watched too much Law and Order and thought the burner phone couldn't be traced.

A notary? I have bought a few cars in my life and never used a notary. Once I have the signed pink slip I just take it down and register it, I even bought online from a local police department and they just sent me the title in the mail and I had the car delivered (never went there, all done online/mail).

just pass the title over to you and you sign it or anyone could sign it and register it, we've done that on watercraft anyway

I've bought and sold cars for the last 45 years and never had any transaction notarized. An "antique" car doesn't have to be titled.

You mean you can drive a vehicle and not have a title to it? I have never ever heard of that. My husband has a 72 Super Beetle but is required to have a title. He isn't required to have an inspection but he is required to have a title.
Even a trailer that you haul behind your truck is required to have some kind of title and tag in NC.
Are you in NC?
How can you prove that the property is yours without a title?
How do you pay taxes on a property without a title?
The title is how you prove you own the property.
That has always been how we have operated and we have owned numerous cars of all kinds both new and old.
Maybe its just a NC thing, as I said.
Without a title, I could steal a car and claim it was mine and sell it to a stranger off the street.

I can see not getting the VIN of the car to check , but I'm getting hung up on the thought that they didn't have a name of the person they were meeting. Even if you're not doing background checks on the person, it's a societal norm to introduce yourself, "Hi, I'm X. I have the Mustang for sale.." or whatever. Even when I've conducted Craigslist sales via text or email, I've always had a name. That leads me to wonder if the interaction at the store didn't happen as remembered. Maybe he just asked for directions to the road (guessing GPS error.. we went down some interesting paths this past summer on our trip west thanks to GPS) and there wasn't actually discussion about who they were meeting. I just can't fathom they'd drive all that way without at least a name, especially given how cautious they were said to be.

aaahh, and psychos don't go by the norms of society, interesting

I think given all his charitable work and his loving heart, he was naive because of his kind heart, living in his world of kindhearted folks? IDK, but I am thinking, it's good (and bad) my girls have seen evil, ever more cautious

I can see not getting the VIN of the car to check , but I'm getting hung up on the thought that they didn't have a name of the person they were meeting. Even if you're not doing background checks on the person, it's a societal norm to introduce yourself, "Hi, I'm X. I have the Mustang for sale.." or whatever. Even when I've conducted Craigslist sales via text or email, I've always had a name. That leads me to wonder if the interaction at the store didn't happen as remembered. Maybe he just asked for directions to the road (guessing GPS error.. we went down some interesting paths this past summer on our trip west thanks to GPS) and there wasn't actually discussion about who they were meeting. I just can't fathom they'd drive all that way without at least a name, especially given how cautious they were said to be.

aaahh, and psychos don't go by the norms of society, interesting

I think given all his charitable work and his loving heart, he was naive because of his kind heart, living in his world of kindhearted folks? IDK, but I am thinking, it's good (and bad) my girls have seen evil, ever more cautious

I'm done catching up LOL

God bless all the families and may God lead LE to the real truth, whatever it is

hi folks i'm new and this is my first post so don't be to hard on me.
I work with a person who was raised in mcrae ga and they know the family very well. They said the towns family are good humble, honest people. (ronnie sr.)
as for rt, he said he always answered yes sir, yes mam, very polite and quiet, but very gullible.
My co-worker also said that they wouldn't think rt would be very computer literate.
I wonder if someone put rt up to buying the phone and answering the ad??
Just trying to think outside of the box.
I only hope the le brings closure to this case and get all, if there are any others involved for this beautiful couple.

welcome coltc

I agree about not having a name. I would figure Bud would not only have the name but have it written down and would have left it with his kids so they would know more about where they were going and who they were seeing.

Maybe its just our family...maybe we are suspicious by nature. But we have raised 4 children and they are all in their 20's now. We bought numerous cars through the years for them or helped them as they upgraded on their own.
We always encouraged them to get the VIN number and check the car history. Always. Are the only family who has done this?
Does everyone else just trust what people tell you?!
LOL
Not us.
We get that VIN and for $5.99 or $9.99 you can run that number and find out the previous owners and the states in which the car has been owned and if the car has been in accidents, etc. You can learn if the car was ever stolen or reported for theft. That's important stuff if you're laying down $6,000 - $12,000 of your hard earned cash for a car.

Ok....Well, I realize no one cares and its probably of zero importance. But I went to the Georgia DMV site. It says that when you transfer a vehicle title though a vehicle buy/sell transaction that the bill of sale must be notarized with both parties present. There may be cases where that doesn't happen, I don't know.

Like someone said above, maybe Bud wasn't set on buying..just looking to make sure this car was what he wanted. Its so sad that the car didn't even exist. Very upsetting that this happened to such sweet people.

I agree about not having a name. I would figure Bud would not only have the name but have it written down and would have left it with his kids so they would know more about where they were going and who they were seeing.

Maybe its just our family...maybe we are suspicious by nature. But we have raised 4 children and they are all in their 20's now. We bought numerous cars through the years for them or helped them as they upgraded on their own.
We always encouraged them to get the VIN number and check the car history. Always. Are the only family who has done this?
Does everyone else just trust what people tell you?!
LOL
Not us.
We get that VIN and for $5.99 or $9.99 you can run that number and find out the previous owners and the states in which the car has been owned and if the car has been in accidents, etc. You can learn if the car was ever stolen or reported for theft. That's important stuff if you're laying down $6,000 - $12,000 of your hard earned cash for a car.

We are in the same boat as you, I can't imagine blindly driving to buy a car w/o that info, w/o letting family know who we were going to meet. Even when we sell minor things we meet in public places, we have constant contact with each other (if one of us goes alone).

Well apparently GA is the state to be in if you want to steal and sell vehicles. Who knew?

Depending on the age of your vehicle, the state may not require you to hold a title. If that's the case, when you sell your car, you can legally transfer the property by using either the vehicle's certificate of origin or the bill of sale.

http://georgia.gov/popular-topic/selling-your-motor-vehicle

Ok....Well, I realize no one cares and its probably of zero importance. But I went to the Georgia DMV site. It says that when you transfer a vehicle title though a vehicle buy/sell transaction that the bill of sale must be notarized with both parties present. There may be cases where that doesn't happen, I don't know.

Like someone said above, maybe Bud wasn't set on buying..just looking to make sure this car was what he wanted. Its so sad that the car didn't even exist. Very upsetting that this happened to such sweet people.

I saw that at this site http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/title-transfers.php but it is not the official site of the DMV. This site http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/title-transfers.php doesn't mention a notary.

I'm still blown away that you don't need a notary. I've bought cars in at least 5 states and always had to have a notary.

You mean you can drive a vehicle and not have a title to it? I have never ever heard of that. My husband has a 72 Super Beetle but is required to have a title. He isn't required to have an inspection but he is required to have a title.
Even a trailer that you haul behind your truck is required to have some kind of title and tag in NC.
Are you in NC?
How can you prove that the property is yours without a title?
How do you pay taxes on a property without a title?
The title is how you prove you own the property.
That has always been how we have operated and we have owned numerous cars of all kinds both new and old.
Maybe its just a NC thing, as I said.
Without a title, I could steal a car and claim it was mine and sell it to a stranger off the street.

watercraft, we are just handed teh title and we sign it and register it, cars with no title, you just need a bill of sale I think or anything I THINK, we've done this with horses too, the old truck we just took the money and he hauled it away

We are in the same boat as you, I can't imagine blindly driving to buy a car w/o that info, w/o letting family know who we were going to meet. Even when we sell minor things we meet in public places, we have constant contact with each other (if one of us goes alone).

Well apparently GA is the state to be in if you want to steal and sell vehicles. Who knew?

Depending on the age of your vehicle, the state may not require you to hold a title. If that's the case, when you sell your car, you can legally transfer the property by using either the vehicle's certificate of origin or the bill of sale.

http://georgia.gov/popular-topic/selling-your-motor-vehicle

haha, speaking of that, commerce GA is high crime for buying and selling stolen vehicles, or used to be,my uncle worked with LE and I had a wreck there when I was young, he took off to get my car LOL, after he told me abuot the area

just pass the title over to you and you sign it or anyone could sign it and register it, we've done that on watercraft anyway

Dancinunderthemoon, I would not operate well in that world. LOL I'm a die-hard, "let's get this set in stone" kinda girl. What if the person comes up later and says, "She stole my boat and stole my title." You could say, "No I didn't...I gave him $5,000 cash for this!" And he could say, "She did not! She stole my boat...I never gave it to her."

So having the document notarized, while irritating as heck fire, is helpful legally to insure that the boat is actually yours.

:) Aren't you glad you ended up with the boat?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roiana
Back