Found Deceased GA - Bud, 69, & June Runion, 66, McRae, 22 Jan 2015 #2 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was just thinking again as many have mentioned, why the RUnions did what seemed like the very thing they have warned their children of

Maybe because they were traveling together they felt safer and on the other hand, WHAT is the likelyhood this would have happened, what are the percentages, maybe he had a gun too and that helped alleviate any fear also and it was daylight and if they knew they had no cash (which I dont' know that it has been clarified yet) that they weren't susceptible to any crime, until or when they decided to purchase the vehicle IF they in fact ever would have

Hy
I live in Georgia and recently sold my mother's car. Did not need a notary and sold it to a savvy car guy (friend of family friend - so no danger involved). He met me - gave me a cashier's check, I gave him the keys and owner's manual - and signed the title right there on the hood of the car. Also - after my father died, my mom gave his truck to my son. When I went to the DMV to change the title - it was going to be complicated (would have to move title to my mom - then my son, - he was in another state) the DMV lady quietly suggested that I return with my deceased father's "signature" on the title to avoid lots of red tape. Nothing was said about a notary in either transaction.

As to the significance of the Mustang - I thought he previously owned an identical car (he even specified a color) that he purchased the year he returned from Vietnam. Several articles state the couple met in the 1970's so he may have sold it before he was married.

I find it amusing to read the contortions and "out there" theories some people propose in order to believe Jay is just an innocent guy who is being railroaded for this double murder. We shall see, won't we?

I've been to the Dodge Co. courthouse with my dh (attorney) and I would not want my son to be locked up there! It's very rural - you must drive for miles off the interstate to reach Eastman.

Yes, I agree. I tend to believe RAT acted alone, and that LE can prove this, hence the arrest. When sleuthing cases, I usually go with the most obvious reason or person. I think ideas about RAT being set up for this crime, or that evidence was planted in his home, belong in the movies or on TV.

IMHO

Hi folks I'm new and this is my first post so don't be to hard on me.
I work with a person who was raised in McRae Ga and they know the family very well. They said the Towns family are good humble, honest people. (Ronnie Sr.)
As for RT, he said he always answered yes sir, yes mam, very polite and quiet, but very gullible.
My co-worker also said that they wouldn't think RT would be very computer literate.
I wonder if someone put RT up to buying the phone and answering the ad??
Just trying to think outside of the box.
I only hope the LE brings closure to this case and get all, if there are any others involved for this beautiful couple.

Welcome coltc. Great first post. :)

:welcome5:

(Pretty pretty pretty please can we call him RJT? My brain can not handle another RAT, see post #501. TIA!!!!!)

Hy

Yes, I agree. I tend to believe RAT acted alone, and that LE can prove this, hence the arrest. When sleuthing cases, I usually go with the most obvious reason or person. I think ideas about RAT being set up for this crime, or that evidence was planted in his home, belong in the movies or on TV.

IMHO

Hmmm, and recalling, he did waive his right to a Preliminary Hearing, very odd

Hi, I'm new here. I am in the Atlanta area. I have read all of the posts. I also retired from bellsouth like Bud Runion. At BellSouth everyone called him Sarge. He was a manager. Extremely liked by everyone. I personally did not know him. Here are some facts and questions.
1. RTs mother had just gotten out of hospital from brain surgery.
2. RT was separated from wife. Why? What happened.
3. I don't care how dumb you are do you lure someone to your home to rob them?
4. Older veterans sometimes think they are invincible, I was married to one, but rarely do they take their spouses into harms way.
5. Were there other people involved in the divorce.
6. More later
Thanks for letting me join in.

Hi, I'm new here. I am in the Atlanta area. I have read all of the posts. I also retired from bellsouth like Bud Runion. At BellSouth everyone called him Sarge. He was a manager. Extremely liked by everyone. I personally did not know him. Here are some facts and questions.
4. Older veterans sometimes think they are invincible, I was married to one, but rarely do they take their spouses into harms way.
6. More later

hmm, food for thought

#2 so he WAS separated? but still does have a "family" as he has a daughter? Did she live in Wheeler county?
#4 crossed my mind also
#5 possibility of being framed?
#6, please share

thanks for post!

I just call him Jay....cause that's what everyone calls him. And he has the same name as his dad...and everyone calls him Ronnie. And heck, all these initials confuse me in every single case.
As you can see, it doesn't take a lot to rattle my this old cage I call a brain.

I wonder if Jay really thought that he could lure this older couple 3 hours down the road with no car to show them, kill them, go through their things, sink their car right behind his mobile home (which is just behind the home of his parents), leave the Runions bodies out on the trail in the woods for anyone to see, and he would get away with this. I mean...he didn't even try to hide it? He wasn't afraid his dad, that he reportedly went hunting and fishing with on a regular basis, would see these murdered remains? He wasn't worried that one of his siblings would find this partially or mostly submerged vehicle?

What person, knowing they have committed a serious crime, doesn't try to cover it up? I mean, he did try to sink the car...so why didn't he bury the bodies? The logical mind can't follow what he was thinking.

Also, if he committed petty thefts in the past, how did he get away with these? What was his punishment? Did the people that he stole from agree to allow him to repay for the things he took? Did he simply return the things he stole? How old was he? Was this years ago when he was a minor...or more recently?

You mean you can drive a vehicle and not have a title to it? I have never ever heard of that. My husband has a 72 Super Beetle but is required to have a title. He isn't required to have an inspection but he is required to have a title.
Even a trailer that you haul behind your truck is required to have some kind of title and tag in NC.
Are you in NC?
How can you prove that the property is yours without a title?
How do you pay taxes on a property without a title?
The title is how you prove you own the property.
That has always been how we have operated and we have owned numerous cars of all kinds both new and old.
Maybe its just a NC thing, as I said.
Without a title, I could steal a car and claim it was mine and sell it to a stranger off the street.

In Virginia, if you buy a car with a car loan, you aren't given the title until the loan is paid off. The way you prove it's "yours" is with your car registration.

I just call him Jay....cause that's what everyone calls him. And he has the same name as his dad...and everyone calls him Ronnie. And heck, all these initials confuse me in every single case.
As you can see, it doesn't take a lot to rattle my this old cage I call a brain.

I wonder if Jay really thought that he could lure this older couple 3 hours down the road with no car to show them, kill them, go through their things, sink their car right behind his mobile home (which is just behind the home of his parents), leave the Runions bodies out on the trail in the woods for anyone to see, and he would get away with this. I mean...he didn't even try to hide it? He wasn't afraid his dad, that he reportedly went hunting and fishing with on a regular basis, would see these murdered remains? He wasn't worried that one of his siblings would find this partially or mostly submerged vehicle?

What person, knowing they have committed a serious crime, doesn't try to cover it up? I mean, he did try to sink the car...so why didn't he bury the bodies? The logical mind can't follow what he was thinking.

Also, if he committed petty thefts in the past, how did he get away with these? What was his punishment? Did the people that he stole from agree to allow him to repay for the things he took? Did he simply return the things he stole? How old was he? Was this years ago when he was a minor...or more recently?

I agree, it makes no sense, you'd think the killer would have hidden the bodies first, if not the car, no body= missing persons

he freaked out? Ran?

Why was he hiding out? Who else was he afraid of?

I just can't get past the waiving of PH and the fact that he was so normal acting in court

IDK, cant wait to hear more on the investigation, but then again, will probably still be confused about all this

In Virginia, if you buy a car with a car loan, you aren't given the title until the loan is paid off. The way you prove it's "yours" is with your car registration.

Right...and you essentially have a loan package that proves you are purchasing the car.
So I guess the point I was trying to make was if Bud went down to buy the Mustang, wouldn't he need either a bill of sale or title to be notarized. I would definitely think so. I wouldn't trust driving off without something like that notarized since it would be easy for someone to rip you off.
But obviously, the car didn't exist...so its a mute point.
I would not think that the Runions would expect to purchase the car outside of a bank, if for nothing more than having the assistance of a notary. But others say I'm wrong. And Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time.

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/a-link-to-cleveland-murdered-couple-has-family-here,1445

" Telfair County personnel told the Cleveland Daily Banner on Tuesday “... the vehicle was discovered in a small lake in close proximity to the Ocmulgee River.”

A McRae resident was able to provide more personalized detail, saying, “They found their car in a no-named pond out past the Workmore community,” which is a few miles south of the town of McRae. "

I agree the simplest theory is probably the right one, but there is just stuff that doesn't add up for me. The phone pings that went south of McRae? Who had the phone?

If it was a set up, then who? why? why was Jay the fall guy? Not that it'd be hard to set him up, but then where is that motive? Say he was set up by say a drug buddy, real perp sends Jay to buy burner phone. Jay is seen on camera buying burner phone so he's the #1 suspect. Real perp then murders Runions and leaves all the evidence at Jay's house, taking only actual cash. Real perp then gets money, gets Jay out of the way and has no one to identify him by murdering the Runions. Or Jay did it, which does seem most plausible.

Things that bug me

1. Runions don't know name of seller
2. Runions don't have VIN and got scammed despite reportedly being cautious
3. Jay arranged for them to come to his own place
4. bodies weren't hidden, car wasn't hidden
5. burner phone pinged south of McRae yet there is nothing indicating Jay ever went there

6. More later

:yourock:

Welcome to the thread, Doravillegirl!

I was just getting ready to ask about Bud's occupation, as I had never heard anything. It's very helpful and comforting to me to hear from those who personally knew this lovely couple.

6. More later

Welcome doravillegirl! :)

:welcome:

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/a-link-to-cleveland-murdered-couple-has-family-here,1445

" Telfair County personnel told the Cleveland Daily Banner on Tuesday “... the vehicle was discovered in a small lake in close proximity to the Ocmulgee River.”

A McRae resident was able to provide more personalized detail, saying, “They found their car in a no-named pond out past the Workmore community,” which is a few miles south of the town of McRae. "

Gee now I have to go look for the article I read that said the pond where they found the car was near the mobile home where Jay lived....
I need a map.
Anyone good at them? I'm not, alas. Surprising to everyone I'm sure. :shame:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MABROUSSARD