Found Deceased GA - Bud, 69, & June Runion, 66, McRae, 22 Jan 2015 #2 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have a few questions that I hope aren't silly. I've read a few posts about checking JT for gun residue. I know nothing about guns... So how long would residue be traceable on his person? If he killed them Thursday and wasn't in custody until Monday, would it be?

Also, in a comment recently someone linked to an article about the couple from the antique shop and it stated that JT met them in a different city and Bud and June followed him to see the car. If that's the case... Why then did Bud and June need to stop for directions? When were they separated from JT (if following him from elsewhere) and when?

Thanks!

I just call him Jay....cause that's what everyone calls him. And he has the same name as his dad...and everyone calls him Ronnie. And heck, all these initials confuse me in every single case.
As you can see, it doesn't take a lot to rattle my this old cage I call a brain.

I wonder if Jay really thought that he could lure this older couple 3 hours down the road with no car to show them, kill them, go through their things, sink their car right behind his mobile home (which is just behind the home of his parents), leave the Runions bodies out on the trail in the woods for anyone to see, and he would get away with this. I mean...he didn't even try to hide it? He wasn't afraid his dad, that he reportedly went hunting and fishing with on a regular basis, would see these murdered remains? He wasn't worried that one of his siblings would find this partially or mostly submerged vehicle?

What person, knowing they have committed a serious crime, doesn't try to cover it up? I mean, he did try to sink the car...so why didn't he bury the bodies? The logical mind can't follow what he was thinking.

Also, if he committed petty thefts in the past, how did he get away with these? What was his punishment? Did the people that he stole from agree to allow him to repay for the things he took? Did he simply return the things he stole? How old was he? Was this years ago when he was a minor...or more recently?

See, it's all this stuff that I need answers to before I can form an opinion. If there was no car to lead them to, if it was just a matter of leading them to an isolated area to rob and kill them, there are plenty of Georgia back roads to lead them to and keep it out of his back yard.

I have a few questions that I hope aren't silly. I've read a few posts about checking JT for gun residue. I know nothing about guns... So how long would residue be traceable on his person? If he killed them Thursday and wasn't in custody until Monday, would it be?

Also, in a comment recently someone linked to an article about the couple from the antique shop and it stated that JT met them in a different city and Bud and June followed him to see the car. If that's the case... Why then did Bud and June need to stop for directions? When were they separated from JT (if following him from elsewhere) and when?

Thanks!

I don't think there are ever silly questions....Usually what you ask here, at least 3 other people are wondering the same thing!

As far as gun shot residue, I would say from Thursday to Monday, GSR would be useless to test on skin. It could be found on unwashed clothing maybe?

Also, Bud was trying to find directions to the location where he was supposed to meet Jay (even though he didn't have Jay's name). He stopped to ask for clarification of directions but the street name he had wasn't accurate. Apparently they were able to find the meeting place and Jay was there.

So folks don't have to show ID to vote but they DO have to show it to buy a burner phone?

Simple solution would be to go into a bad area of the closest city and pay someone on the street to buy it for you, I thought the surveillance footage of the purchaser was the main clue when cash is used.

Really? An ID to buy a burner phone? First I've heard of that. I bought a disposable phone from Walgreens, about a year ago, no ID needed. They're available in almost every store I've been in, from big box stores, drug stores, dollar stores, liquor stores, neighborhood corner stores, etc. Just pick one up, they're prepackaged, usually sitting on a display, and pay for it. I'm still catching up on the thread, but did someone say they had to show ID to buy one?

Right...and you essentially have a loan package that proves you are purchasing the car.
So I guess the point I was trying to make was if Bud went down to buy the Mustang, wouldn't he need either a bill of sale or title to be notarized. I would definitely think so. I wouldn't trust driving off without something like that notarized since it would be easy for someone to rip you off.
But obviously, the car didn't exist...so its a mute point.
I would not think that the Runions would expect to purchase the car outside of a bank, if for nothing more than having the assistance of a notary. But others say I'm wrong. And Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time.

I'm not saying your are wrong, it's probably the best way to do it, it's just not always done that way in older vehicle situations or watercraft unless there is a loan then it goes through the bank of course

I know nothing about guns... So how long would residue be traceable on his person? If he killed them Thursday and wasn't in custody until Monday, would it be?

It would be there until he washed his hands (or somehow managed to wipe most of it off). The residue is just lead dust and some other types of dust, it washes right off.

Really? An ID to buy a burner phone? First I've heard of that. I bought a disposable phone from Walgreens, about a year ago, no ID needed. They're available in almost every store I've been in, from big box stores, dollar stores, down to the neighborhood corner store. Just pick one up they're prepackaged, usually sitting on a display, and pay for it. I'm still catching up on the thread, but did someone say they had to show ID to buy one?

I brought it up, because I was wondering how they knew it was registered to RT if he didnt' have to show ID to someone to turn it on

who turns it on? If he thought it wasn't traceable, did he give his name to someone or just go online and signup, then why would he think it's not traceable back to him??

So it makes sense someone could have bought the phone in his name as someone else mentioned, then the question is still, why did LE know whose phone it was if there was no name or ID for SOMETHING associated with the phone

See, it's all this stuff that I need answers to before I can form an opinion. If there was no car to lead them to, if it was just a matter of leading them to an isolated area to rob and kill them, there are plenty of Georgia back roads to lead them to and keep it out of his back yard.

wow, so true, so in a framing situation, this lead them straight to RT

This whole thing does sound so unbelievable about WHY RT did what he allegedly did

and his family is SO adamant he was framed!

which makes me think back to the divorce someone mentioned earlier and who else might be involved possibly

wow, so true, so in a framing situation, this lead them straight to RT

This whole thing does sound so unbelievable about WHY RT did what he allegedly did

and his family is SO adamant he was framed!

which makes me think back to the divorce someone mentioned earlier and who else might be involved possibly

Tough to shake that thought, huh?

*sigh

I agree.

wow, a telling article
confused a bit, part of the article above reads:

He has a family of his own -- a wife and a young daughter -- in neighboring Wheeler County. Towns supported them by working construction jobs for a local home builder, said his uncle Buddy Towns.
don't know if it's his first or second marriage as someone inquired on here, but child is 2 sothey'd have been together atleast 3 years or more, sounds like first wife IDK, either way, can you imagine living and having relations with someone you didn't know cuold do this??? Poor girl is going to need therapy! As many will I'm guessing!

Through the woods, the pond is maybe 3,000 feet from where murder suspect Jay Towns, 28, lived in a trailer behind his parents’ house.

the pond is in telfair county, so did RT live in wheeler county or a mile from where the bodies were discovered which is telfair county ga??

article also reads:

Bud Runion spoke to Kinnett’s husband, James. He said he was looking for a dirt road near the tiny Jacksonville community, down toward the Ocmulgee River.

The spot, above Alligator Creek some 10 miles south of McRae-Helena, is about a quarter-mile north of the pond where the couple’s small SUV was submerged.

article also says RT had a truck, so he met them in jacksonville ga, led them to a place near the telfair county trailer

but where did he live? wheeler or telfair?

Also, there are tons of land owned by an R.E. Towns on qpublic, but no Ronnie Towns, wondering if this might be his father, R.E.also some property being sold back and forth between the same individuals

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2015/01/28/3556514_slain-couple-in-craiglist-case.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Okay, I found the comment that led me to believe they met in Jacksonville... I thought that it was reported as fact that RT met Bud and led him to his place.

I'm confused.

Okay a couple of thoughts.
1. Maybe he bought the phone with a credit or debit card making it traceable?
2. Why would anyone drive over three hours ( I am from Marietta, traffic alone would make this a four hour trip minimum) to meet someone about a car with only a phone number?
3. Why would anyone set out to frame him for this? This seems very far fetched. Especially since this appears to have been linked to him from the beginning.

I brought it up, because I was wondering how they knew it was registered to RT if he didnt' have to show ID to someone to turn it on

who turns it on? If he thought it wasn't traceable, did he give his name to someone or just go online and signup, then why would he think it's not traceable back to him??

So it makes sense someone could have bought the phone in his name as someone else mentioned, then the question is still, why did LE know whose phone it was if there was no name or ID for SOMETHING associated with the phone

I would have to go back and look through the articles, but did they use the word "registered" or did they say they traced it back to him?

When you buy one, you simply open the package, charge the phone, and enter the code or number to load the minutes. That's it. You start using it. If you run out of minutes, you go back to a store and buy a card with more minutes, and just load the code/#. No names, no registration. IMO, LE accessed the Runion's call activity log, and just started calling the numbers, and he answered it. IDK. Perhaps there was more to it. But, it could have been that simple. Also, all cell phones (whether disposable/prepaid or contract) have and internal ID # (ESN, ESID, etc) which is specific to the company, so they could've traced the SN #, then that company would probably be able to find out which store that phone was sold at....then security cam footage could be used to see who was in a store on a specific day.

Also, with these disposable/prepaid, you do have the option to go online an create an account to facilitate adding new minutes, but I doubt if it's being used as a burner/drop phone, the perp would register online. Jmo.

2. Why would anyone drive over three hours ( I am from Marietta, traffic alone would make this a four hour trip minimum) to meet someone about a car with only a phone number?
3. Why would anyone set out to frame him for this? This seems very far fetched. Especially since this appears to have been linked to him from the beginning.

I don't believe for a second that Bud went there without SOMEONES name, likely not Jay, but I strongly believe that he had A name. And, really... We'll probably never know unless there's notes written somewhere by Bud or June with contact info (name, number, address, directions). Since they are no longer with us, we only have the information provided by someone else and it could very well not be reliable.

Gee now I have to go look for the article I read that said the pond where they found the car was near the mobile home where Jay lived....
I need a map.
Anyone good at them? I'm not, alas. Surprising to everyone I'm sure. :shame:

http://qpublic7.qpublic.net/qpmap4/...1&layers=parcels+streetnum+roads+parcel_sales

red square is Towns property

top click on birdseye view, just north is a long pond, that is where car was found, Ithink the article said a dirt road 1000 ft north of pond was where bodies were found, along that same winding road where the towns property is located

correct me if I'm wrong, anyone

3. Why would anyone frame him? Pure hatred.

I would have to go back and look through the articles, but did they use the word "registered" or did they say they traced it back to him?

When you buy one, you simply open the package, charge the phone, and enter the code or number to load the minutes. That's it. You start using it. If you run out of minutes, you go back to a store and buy a card with more minutes, and just load the code/#. No names, no registration. IMO, LE accessed the Runion's call activity log, and just started calling the numbers, and he answered it. IDK. Perhaps there was more to it. But, it could have been that simple. Also, all cell phones (whether disposable/prepaid or contract) have and internal ID # (ESN, ESID, etc) which is specific to the company, so they could've traced the SN #, then that company would probably be able to find out which store that phone was sold at....then security cam footage could be used to see who was in a store on a specific day.

Also, with these disposable/prepaid, you do have the option to go online an create an account to facilitate adding new minutes, but I doubt if it's being used as a burner/drop phone, the perp would register online. Jmo.

thank you, no I simply was wondering if it had his name attached to it somehow in regards to the ID statement, was not quoting anything there

Also, it might have been on the cobb county FB someone posted earlier about, giving warnings of these scams, said that all drop phones are traceable and people think they aren't, I'd never even thought about it until all of this occurred

WoW, if LE did call that number , however it was discovered, it's pretty damming if RT picked up the call OR if they used video surveillance and saw him make a phone purchase

was there mention somewhere that AT&T wasn't being cooperative? maybe on Runion FB, so they could find the last numbers contacted by the RUnions on the bill, not sure how soon that info goes online to the billing site

still wondering why the runions never called RT or if they did.......instead of asking for directions, thankfully they did tho or LE may still be looking for them

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vee97
Back