GA - Ex-POTUS Donald Trump and others indicted, 13 counts in 2020 election interference, violation of RICO Act, Aug 2023 *4 guilty* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not gone thru ALL the dockets - but this pertains to them all. I shall check them out tomorrow...

or all:

10/19/2023 BRIEF
Comment: Amicus Brief [Motion of Amici Curiae former Federal & State Criminal Justice officials to file a brief in support of State of Georgia's first consolidated Motions in Limine.

link: Fulton County Magistrate, State, and Superior Court Record Search

Team Trump Never Dreamed Sidney Powell Would Flip on Them - Rolling Stone

For months, Trump and his advisers have discussed which co-defendants in the Fulton County case and alleged co-conspirators in the Washington, DC special counsel investigation were most likely to cooperate with prosecutors and turn against him.

Trump, according to two sources familiar with the matter, has been intensely curious about which of his former allies might turn on him as the cases progress.

Trump’s attorneys have also tried to game out which of those potential cooperators may pose the greatest risk to his defense. So far, the Trump legal team has been keeping a close eye on the case of Kenneth Chesebro, an architect of Trump’s fake-electors plot, who was due to stand trial alongside Powell in Fulton County.
The news of Powell’s plea agreement Thursday morning stunned a number of Trump’s top advisers and attorneys, all of whom thought Powell — the truest of all Trump-backing, election-denying true believers — was among the least likely to take a plea deal ahead of trial, the people familiar with the situation tell Rolling Stone. Some had even told Trump in recent months that they thought Powell would be (foolishly, in their opinion) fighting the so-called “deep state” in court ‘til the bitter end. She even pushed the idea that Trump could “simply be reinstated” in the middle of President Joe Biden’s term.

Team Trump Never Dreamed Sidney Powell Would Flip on Them - Rolling Stone

For months, Trump and his advisers have discussed which co-defendants in the Fulton County case and alleged co-conspirators in the Washington, DC special counsel investigation were most likely to cooperate with prosecutors and turn against him.

Trump, according to two sources familiar with the matter, has been intensely curious about which of his former allies might turn on him as the cases progress.

Trump’s attorneys have also tried to game out which of those potential cooperators may pose the greatest risk to his defense. So far, the Trump legal team has been keeping a close eye on the case of Kenneth Chesebro, an architect of Trump’s fake-electors plot, who was due to stand trial alongside Powell in Fulton County.
The news of Powell’s plea agreement Thursday morning stunned a number of Trump’s top advisers and attorneys, all of whom thought Powell — the truest of all Trump-backing, election-denying true believers — was among the least likely to take a plea deal ahead of trial, the people familiar with the situation tell Rolling Stone. Some had even told Trump in recent months that they thought Powell would be (foolishly, in their opinion) fighting the so-called “deep state” in court ‘til the bitter end. She even pushed the idea that Trump could “simply be reinstated” in the middle of President Joe Biden’s term.
If Trump believes he did nothing wrong, or illegal, why would he be worried at all about who turned?

IANAL, I have been reading that in these cases where RICO defendants plead guilty to lesser charges, agreeing to testify truthfully in other related cases of higher up defendants, they already have their testimony locked down, so if they deviate while in court, that can negate the plea deal due to perjury. Is that correct?

Because, if so, Trump should be very afraid of what Hall, Powell and Chesebro have to say about his personal involvement in the alleged crimes.

As far as I can see, this is standard procedure to get the lower ranked defendants to flip in order to bolster evidence/testimony against the bigger fish aka Trump & Giuliani. In other words, Fani Willis appears to be prosecuting her RICO/organized crime case in text book fashion, and gaining the kinds of wins one would expect from such a sprawling case involving multiple alleged defendants and offences. She clearly has a strong case and Trump may yet find he's no longer as above the law or untouchable as he once thought he was.

IANAL, I have been reading that in these cases where RICO defendants plead guilty to lesser charges, agreeing to testify truthfully in other related cases of higher up defendants, they already have their testimony locked down, so if they deviate while in court, that can negate the plea deal due to perjury. Is that correct?

Because, if so, Trump should be very afraid of what Hall, Powell and Chesebro have to say about his personal involvement in the alleged crimes.

As far as I can see, this is standard procedure to get the lower ranked defendants to flip in order to bolster evidence/testimony against the bigger fish aka Trump & Giuliani. In other words, Fani Willis appears to be prosecuting her RICO/organized crime case in text book fashion, and gaining the kinds of wins one would expect from such a sprawling case involving multiple alleged defendants and offences. She clearly has a strong case and Trump may yet find he's no longer as above the law or untouchable as he once thought he was.
IANAL either, but having been a Crime Hag for about 100 years, this is indeed a textbook RICO case procedure, imo, masterfully executed. Smaller fish in the pond to catch the piranha.

To look at examples, just read some of the John Gotti cases. No witness protection plan here, though, so far.

Sidney Powell and Kenneth Cheseboro were in the room. We've heard this many times. Tick tock.

MOO

IANAL either, but having been a Crime Hag for about 100 years, this is indeed a textbook RICO case procedure, imo, masterfully executed. Smaller fish in the pond to catch the piranha.

To look at examples, just read some of the John Gotti cases. No witness protection plan here, though, so far.

Sidney Powell and Kenneth Cheseboro were in the room. We've heard this many times. Tick tock.

MOO
Agree. Masterful work by Willis and her team. They know what they are doing.

jmo

"The plea deal is another blow to Trump and a major victory for Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis, who charged Trump and 18 others in the effort to overturn the 2020 presidential election. It comes one day after former Trump campaign lawyer Sidney Powell also pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors.

Chesebro pleaded guilty to one felony – conspiracy to commit filing false documents. Fulton County prosecutors recommended that he serve 5 years of probation and pay $5,000 in restitution, and Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee imposed that sentence at Friday’s hearing.

Chesebro has also agreed to testify in future court proceedings.

As part of his plea deal, Chesebro admitted that he conspired to put forward fake GOP electors in Georgia with Trump and former Trump lawyers Rudy Giuliani and John Eastman. Giuliani and Eastman have both pleaded not guilty in the Georgia case, and now face the prospect of Chesebro taking the witness stand against them."

Selfishly, I wanted this case to go to trial. “For my entertainment” is more flippant than I intend, so I’ll say for personal interest and education purposes. There seems to be little legal precedent for many of the issues. Based on what is known publicly so far, I don’t think the case was clear-cut for either side. I think the cases against some of the other defendants are stronger for the prosecution.

I agree that this deal is very, very sweet. Because of Georgia’s First Offender Act, IIUC, if Mr. Chesebro fulfills the terms of his agreement with the state, he walks away. No conviction. Everything stays under seal and is automatically expunged. No moral turpitude infraction to interfere with his law license.

I still feel strongly that the case against Mr. Chesebro alone really didn’t cross the line into “criminal” territory and was more of a civil matter. He prepared and advocated filing documents that didn’t clearly state “Contingent” on their face. I don’t think an attorney’s advocating strongly for ways to win an election is criminal. I admit that Mr. Chesebro’s strolling around the Capitol grounds on January 6 with Alex Jones does give me pause, but that was not a direct part of the Georgia case. If this had proceeded to trial, with additional information I might have changed my mind.

In a sense, the scales of justice maybe balanced here: a basically administrative violation received a basically administrative penalty. I agree that Ms. Willis has her sights on those at the top of the hierarchy and got what she needed from this deal. I sense that Mr. Chesebro just wants to fulfill his obligations to Georgia and go chill on the beach. Now no one has to endure a five month trial. Everyone’s a winner and goes home with a participation trophy.

I do appreciate and respect the perspectives of others who see this differently.

JM probably too irreverent O

Selfishly, I wanted this case to go to trial. “For my entertainment” is more flippant than I intend, so I’ll say for personal interest and education purposes. There seems to be little legal precedent for many of the issues. Based on what is known publicly so far, I don’t think the case was clear-cut for either side. I think the cases against some of the other defendants are stronger for the prosecution.

I agree that this deal is very, very sweet. Because of Georgia’s First Offender Act, IIUC, if Mr. Chesebro fulfills the terms of his agreement with the state, he walks away. No conviction. Everything stays under seal and is automatically expunged. No moral turpitude infraction to interfere with his law license.

I still feel strongly that the case against Mr. Chesebro alone really didn’t cross the line into “criminal” territory and was more of a civil matter. He prepared and advocated filing documents that didn’t clearly state “Contingent” on their face. I don’t think an attorney’s advocating strongly for ways to win an election is criminal. I admit that Mr. Chesebro’s strolling around the Capitol grounds on January 6 with Alex Jones does give me pause, but that was not a direct part of the Georgia case. If this had proceeded to trial, with additional information I might have changed my mind.

In a sense, the scales of justice maybe balanced here: a basically administrative violation received a basically administrative penalty. I agree that Ms. Willis has her sights on those at the top of the hierarchy and got what she needed from this deal. I sense that Mr. Chesebro just wants to fulfill his obligations to Georgia and go chill on the beach. Now no one has to endure a five month trial. Everyone’s a winner and goes home with a participation trophy.

I do appreciate and respect the perspectives of others who see this differently.

JM probably too irreverent O
Alex Jones never made it to the Capitol. Conservative news cameras were recording it and stopped when word reached them that the Capitol had been breached. iirc, they went off the air entirely.

I predict Ms. Willis' political career is going to end the same way as Stacey Abrams'. Willis' grand jury indictment of so many Republicans is purely political and an incredible waste of taxpayer dollars. She should have let Jack Smith take the lead rather than attempt to grandstand him.

JMO

So Chesebro's lawyer was outside the court saying Trump has nothing to worry about, that Chesebro "did not snitch," that he likely won't even be called to testify. That's bs imo, his testimony is the main point of the deal, so of course he will be called if there is a trial of any of his co-conspirators. And if he refuses, that will violate his probation.

And the plea said he can't to talk to anyone about the case. This should really violate the deal.

Alex Jones never made it to the Capitol. Conservative news cameras were recording it and stopped when word reached them that the Capitol had been breached. iirc, they went off the air entirely.

I predict Ms. Willis' political career is going to end the same way as Stacey Abrams'. Willis' grand jury indictment of so many Republicans is purely political and an incredible waste of taxpayer dollars. She should have let Jack Smith take the lead rather than attempt to grandstand him.

JMO

Willis is running laps around Smith.

Had time to go thru the dockets.

Docket updates:

for Powell:

Events & Hearings:
10/19/2023 MOTION
Comment: MOTION TO NOLLE PROSEQUI SIDNEY KATHERINE POWELL

10/20/2023 NOLLE PROSSEQUI ORDER
Comment: Sidney Powell Nol Pros

10/20/2023 NOLLE PROSSEQUI ORDER
Comment: Sidney Powell Nol Pros

for Chesebro:

Events & Hearings:
10/20/2023 PLEA OF GUILTY STATEMENT
Comment: Kenneth Chesebro Plea of GUilty Form

10/20/2023 PLEA OF GUILTY STATEMENT
Comment: Kenneth Chesebro Plea of GUilty Form

10/20/2023 CONSOLIDATED MOTIONS
Comment: Consolidated Motions in Limine

for Floyd

Events & Hearings:
10/19/2023 ENTRY/NOTICE OF APPEARANCE
Comment: Additional Counsel for Defendant - John E. Morrison

link: Fulton County Magistrate, State, and Superior Court Record Search

My understanding is that if all the accused take a plea deal, then they will likely all get about the same sentence, which is a fine and probation.

If they go on trial and are found guilty, there is a mandatory, five year prison sentence. Is that correct?

Is it also true that if T takes a plea deal and pleads guilty, that he will then be ineligible for election? If that's true, then I expect everyone will take a plea deal, possibly even T, who will then look for loopholes, or sue to keep himself eligible to run for office.

Please correct me if my understanding of this is wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member