GA - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 10 counts in 2020 election interference, violation of RICO Act, 14 Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

The new line of mug-shot-inspired gear appeared on Trump’s 2024 presidential campaign site Thursday night shortly after the photo taken at an Atlanta jail was released to the public.TRUMP 2024
The new line of mug-shot-inspired gear appeared on Trump’s 2024 presidential campaign site Thursday night shortly after the photo taken at an Atlanta jail was released to the public.
Wonder where the merchandise was made?

But that's just not true - campaign finance regulations and all. Further, what Trump allegedly did IS illegal otherwise there would not, could not, be an indictment for those allegations. He's charged with violating multiple statutes which is the very definition of breaking the law.

Perfectly reasonable for you to believe Trump isn't guilty but imo unreasonable and actually quite false to say no crime has been committed when there's quite obviously probable cause to warrant an indictment which kinda means it's illegal.

It's been determined crimes have been committed through the grand jury process and now the trial will determine if Trump et al are guilty of the crimes they're charged with.

JMO
BBM. That isn't remotely true but if you want to believe it, that's okay.

Questioning the outcome of an election is not a crime. Trump and his supporters genuinely thought Pence could refuse to certify the electoral votes for several states because they wanted to do recounts. Pence (an attorney) wasn't sure if it was possible, so he consulted an attorney who told him Eastman's proposal would be challenged. A grand jury indictment is not evidence of a crime. Eastman's proposal wasn't a crime.

There are these things called "Rights" such as Due Process, Fair Trial, Impartial Jury that come into play for American defendants. Not everyone who is arrested is found guilty at trial.

JMO

Former Vice President Mike Pence’s attorney advised him on Jan. 5, 2021, that if he blocked the certification of electoral votes the following day as then-President Trump was urging him to do, he would likely face a loss in court or a “standoff” with Congress, according to a memo released for the first time on Saturday.

In the memo, which was obtained by Politico, Pence lawyer Greg Jacob evaluated a proposal from Trump legal adviser John Eastman
on how Pence could refuse to count electoral votes from “any state for which an alternate but uncertified slate of electors has been submitted.”

“If the Vice President implemented Professor Eastman’s proposal, he would likely lose in court,” Jacob concluded. “In a best-case scenario in which the courts refused to get involved, the Vice President would likely find himself in an isolated standoff against both houses of Congress, as well as most or all of the applicable State legislatures, with no neutral arbiter available to break the impasse.”

It is an Inconvenient Truth that Al Gore has been a standup, notable, and ethical man throughout his career.

A Webby Award for Lifetime Achievements in 2005
Nobel Peace Prize 2007
A Primetime Emmy Award in 2007
Academy Award for Inconvenient Truth in 2007
Dan David Prize for Social Responsibility in 2008
Grammy in 2009 for Inconvenient Truth (spoken)

I couldn't stand Clinton but I did vote for Gore! He's the kind of candidate both parties need right now.

JMO

It’s an Arrest Day Miracle! Call the Vatican!
I looked back at what I had predicted for Trump’s jail visit last night. Not too bad, and I really do think I was pretty close on the height and weight. Actually, according to the bmi visualizer, I was probably a bit gracious.

“A long red tie, of course. Blue suit. A scowl for the mugshot. I’ll go with 6’ (we shrink with age) 250 lbs.”
(I’m 77 and I’ve lost 2”, so Trump may have too.)

Make sure it’s on U.S./English:

Wonder where the merchandise was made?

I’m not sure where the merch is actually made, but a quick Google found that there’s unofficial stuff on Etsy and CafePress.

Kemp now stuck between a rock and a hard place. Will he speak or remain silent?
JMO

ATLANTA − A Georgia faith leader representing more than 530 churches is calling upon Gov. Brian Kemp to publicly oppose Republican efforts to remove or discipline Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis.

Willis, a Democrat and the first Black woman to serve in the position, has become a lightning rod for attacks by supporters of former President Donald Trump, who she indicted this month along with 18 others on charges related to an alleged conspiracy to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

AUG 25, 2023
Former White House lawyer Ty Cobb on Friday commented on former President Trump’s historic mug shot, saying he looks like “a Batman villain.”

[...]

Kenneth Chesebro, the lawyer who drafted the fake electors memo, pushed for a quick trial and was granted an Oct. 23 start date by Judge Scott McAfee on Thursday. On Friday, former Trump attorney Sidney Powell also filed a motion for a speedy trial.

“It is a strategic move, and I admire those,” Cobb said, responding to Chesebro’s initial request, adding, “Now he’s in a situation where he may have to go to trial with Sidney Powell, which I have to say of all the defendants in In this entire case, is the last person I would want to be alone in a courtroom with if I was another defendant.”

[...]

“I do think under Georgia Law, which is quite demanding, that it is highly likely that Powell and Chesebro do go to trial quickly,” he said. “I’m not sure how that how that will work out.”

“I personally think they are in great danger, but it’s their choice,” Cobb added.

AUG 25, 2023
Former White House lawyer Ty Cobb on Friday commented on former President Trump’s historic mug shot, saying he looks like “a Batman villain.”

[...]

Kenneth Chesebro, the lawyer who drafted the fake electors memo, pushed for a quick trial and was granted an Oct. 23 start date by Judge Scott McAfee on Thursday. On Friday, former Trump attorney Sidney Powell also filed a motion for a speedy trial.

“It is a strategic move, and I admire those,” Cobb said, responding to Chesebro’s initial request, adding, “Now he’s in a situation where he may have to go to trial with Sidney Powell, which I have to say of all the defendants in In this entire case, is the last person I would want to be alone in a courtroom with if I was another defendant.”

[...]

“I do think under Georgia Law, which is quite demanding, that it is highly likely that Powell and Chesebro do go to trial quickly,” he said. “I’m not sure how that how that will work out.”

“I personally think they are in great danger, but it’s their choice,” Cobb added.
Kinda fun when an "expert's opinion" matches most of ours, lol.

jmo

Kemp now stuck between a rock and a hard place. Will he speak or remain silent?
JMO

ATLANTA − A Georgia faith leader representing more than 530 churches is calling upon Gov. Brian Kemp to publicly oppose Republican efforts to remove or discipline Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis.

Willis, a Democrat and the first Black woman to serve in the position, has become a lightning rod for attacks by supporters of former President Donald Trump, who she indicted this month along with 18 others on charges related to an alleged conspiracy to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

Thanks for posting this article @MyBelle. It shows the lengths the Republican Party at the state and national level is going to protect Donald Trump from the consequences of his actions (not just in this case). Although I don’t want to derail the thread into a discussion of other cases that have their own threads, it’s worth mentioning so that googling can be done by those who want to know more. There is a very real ability to remove Fani Willis from office starting when this law goes into effect October 1, although I believe there is already a court case filed against this law, so we shall see.

JMO

AUG 25, 2023

[...]

[...]

Great share, PM. Hope you’re doing well. I love that there’s an actual attorney named Ty Cobb. I do a double take whenever I see his name.

Huh. He's not saying Trump did nothing illegal. And he's an actual lawyer.
I think he also realizes that Kennedy did the same thing in 1960 in Hawaii and it didn't result in indictments or anything at all. This story appeared in Politico months ago and the media has thoroughly covered it.
JMO

...Until now, it’s been unclear whether the 1960 case of the Kennedy electors was truly analogous to 2020 Trump electors. But the unofficial Democratic certificates, obtained by POLITICO from the non-digitized files of the National Archives, show the three Kennedy electors signed documents that are remarkably similar to the false Trump-elector certificates.

The certificates describe the three Democrats as the “duly and legally appointed and qualified” members of the Electoral College. The envelope containing the certificates, stamped Dec. 22, 1960, includes another avowal: “We hereby certify that the lists of all the votes of the state of Hawaii given for president … are contained herein.”

The documents do not mention the ongoing recount or that Nixon’s Hawaii victory had been certified.

Instead, the Hawaii Democrats used virtually the same language that the false Trump electors in five states used in their effort to upend the 2020 race. In those documents — from Arizona, Nevada, Michigan, Wisconsin and Georgia — the pro-Turmp activists described themselves as “duly elected and qualified.” In two other states, Pennsylvania and New Mexico, Trump allies submitted alternative elector slates but included a caveat: their votes would only be counted if ongoing court battles broke in favor of Trump.

I think he also realizes that Kennedy did the same thing in 1960 in Hawaii and it didn't result in indictments or anything at all. This story appeared in Politico months ago and the media has thoroughly covered it.
JMO

One of these things is not like the other. From your link:

Why Hawaii 1960 isn’t the same as Trump 2020​

Although the three Democratic electors in Hawaii took the same action — signing false certificates — it does not appear they ever faced similar scrutiny, in part because of what happened next. Namely, that Hawaii’s recount ultimately did reverse the state’s election outcome.

When Nixon, like Mike Pence, presided over the Electoral College counting session on Jan. 6, 1961, he acknowledged receiving all three sets of certificates: the GOP slate, the uncertified Democratic slate and the certified Democratic slate.

He then agreed that the newest one — the Democrats certified by Gov. William Quinn — should be counted, even though they were certified weeks after the required meeting of the Electoral College. Nixon added a caveat of his own: His decision should not be seen as a precedent for the future.

That newest slate “properly and legally portrays the facts with respect to the electors chosen by the people of Hawaii,” Nixon said.

In that case brought by a group of Hawaii voters, Judge Ronald Jamieson agreed that the certified Kennedy electors were legitimate. His judgment was then affirmed by the state’s sitting governor, who certified the Democratic slate and transmitted it to Congress.

Thanks for posting this article @MyBelle. It shows the lengths the Republican Party at the state and national level is going to protect Donald Trump from the consequences of his actions (not just in this case). Although I don’t want to derail the thread into a discussion of other cases that have their own threads, it’s worth mentioning so that googling can be done by those who want to know more. There is a very real ability to remove Fani Willis from office starting when this law goes into effect October 1, although I believe there is already a court case filed against this law, so we shall see.

JMO
I saw that new law and it will be interesting to see Kemp's reaction because he signed it into law.

JMO

One of these things is not like the other. From your link:

Why Hawaii 1960 isn’t the same as Trump 2020​

Although the three Democratic electors in Hawaii took the same action — signing false certificates — it does not appear they ever faced similar scrutiny, in part because of what happened next. Namely, that Hawaii’s recount ultimately did reverse the state’s election outcome.

When Nixon, like Mike Pence, presided over the Electoral College counting session on Jan. 6, 1961, he acknowledged receiving all three sets of certificates: the GOP slate, the uncertified Democratic slate and the certified Democratic slate.

He then agreed that the newest one — the Democrats certified by Gov. William Quinn — should be counted, even though they were certified weeks after the required meeting of the Electoral College. Nixon added a caveat of his own: His decision should not be seen as a precedent for the future.

That newest slate “properly and legally portrays the facts with respect to the electors chosen by the people of Hawaii,” Nixon said.

In that case brought by a group of Hawaii voters, Judge Ronald Jamieson agreed that the certified Kennedy electors were legitimate. His judgment was then affirmed by the state’s sitting governor, who certified the Democratic slate and transmitted it to Congress.
My point is that will be one of the Defense's arguments at trial.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member