GA - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 10 counts in 2020 election interference, violation of RICO Act, 14 Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defendants will be tried together​

A moment earlier Willis was asked whether those named in the indictment would be tried together.

Asked whether she would try the defendants together, she responded with a question.

“Do I intend to try the 19 defendants named in this case?” she asked, emphasising the number “nineteen”, before answering: “Yes”, she said bluntly.

Talking head Andrew Weisman on MSNBC explaining that it will not really be tried with all 19. Some will plead out and others will be divided.

She is also asked about a document containing charges against Trump that was reportedly posted on the county's website earlier today and quickly taken down, before an official indictment was returned.

Willis says she can't comment on that matter.

"What I can tell you is we had a grand jury here in Fulton County and they deliberated to almost eight o'clock," she said.

"Right after eight o'clock an indictment was returned."

Thanks.

How does that work? One at a time at their convenience? Or all on the 25th?

jmo

I cannot begin to conceive of how this will work logistically.

Very glad this is not my job! Trump and all 18 others fuming together in court, or if any are no-shows, then they are subject to an arrest warrant.

Wow.

ETA: Thank you, @Lilibet, I hadn’t seen your post when I wrote the above.
That sounds much less complex.

Thanks.

How does that work? One at a time at their convenience? Or all on the 25th?

jmo
I think it would be hilarious if they all showed up together in a bus.

The attorneys on NBC are predicting a trial in perhaps 2026 at the earliest because Willis is insisting on trying all 19 together. One attorney pointed out that a RICO case she filed against someone else is currently in the 8 month of jury selection.

JMO

@Niner, mark your calendar for Aug 25!

The end of August is going to be busy for former president Donald Trump’s legal team.
Fulton County District Attorney Fani T. Willis gave him and others indicted in the Georgia case until Aug. 25 at noon to surrender.

The day before, on Aug. 24, U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon will hold a hearing in the classified documents case in Fort Pierce, Fla. Then on Aug. 28, U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan has scheduled a hearing in Washington in the case related to efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

For anyone who still thinks (maybe hopes) that the trial will be delayed until after the presidential election, and that Trump may successfully be re-elected and then pardon himself or just have his new DOJ drop the charges, a reminder that state charges cannot be pardoned by a president.

This article is from just before today’s indictment was handed down in Georgia, but it details how crucial the state charges are for him and the others indicted.

I think it would be hilarious if they all showed up together in a bus.

The attorneys on NBC are predicting a trial in perhaps 2026 at the earliest because Willis is insisting on trying all 19 together. One attorney pointed out that a RICO case she filed against someone else is currently in the 8 month of jury selection.

JMO

The former prosecutors I’m watching on MSNBC have explained that the number will be reduced by those who plead guilty and then they will be divided into smaller groups. Andrew Weissman pointed out that her saying she wants to try them all together in six months sends the message that they would be wise to flip.

All levity aside, I just feel really sad that

1) A former president has now been indicted in FOUR criminal cases, two of which involve attempts to overturn the results of a free and fair election;

and

2) He's still the frontrunner by far for his party in the next presidential election.

The former prosecutors I’m watching on MSNBC have explained that the number will be reduced by those who plead guilty and then they will be divided into smaller groups. Andrew Weissman pointed out that her saying she wants to try them all together in six months sends the message that they would be wise to flip.
I don't believe anyone will take a plea on this one because it is so obviously politically motivated it truly disgusts me. I'm an Independent voter.

If anything, it is going to help Trump raise money and it won't surprise me if he is the Republican nominee. smh.

Live updates: Trump, 18 others charged in sweeping indictment in Georgia election probe - ABC News (go.com)
Aug 14, 11:53 PM EDT

Co-defendants worked in 'furtherance of the conspiracy,' indictment says​

The indictment describes how several of the co-defendants, including Kenneth Chesebro, Michael Roman and James Shafer, worked together from Dec. 11, 2020. through Dec. 25, 2020, in several states including Georgia and Arizona, to commit acts “in furtherance of the conspiracy.”

The alleged acts include Shafer reserving a room at the Georgia State Capitol in Fulton County, Georgia to gather "Trump presidential elector nominees," and Chesebro sending emails to Roman regarding Trump presidential elector nominees in other states.

The indictment also describes how the co-conspirators allegedly communicated with the Trump campaign about the Trump electors.

According to the indictment, Rowan instructed an individual associated with the Trump campaign to "distribute information related to the December 14, 2020 meetings of Trump presidential elector nominees in Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Nevada, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin to other individuals associated with the campaign and co-conspirator 4."

On Dec. 13, 2020, Chesebro sent an email to Giuliani outlining the “multiple strategies for disrupting and delaying the joint session of congress on January 6, 2021,” the indictment says.

I don't believe anyone will take a plea on this one because it is so obviously politically motivated it truly disgusts me. I'm an Independent voter.

If anything, it is going to help Trump raise money and it won't surprise me if he is the Republican nominee. smh.

BBM for focus.

That isn't obvious to me. No snark intended, I am really interested in why you think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader