GA GA - Jenna Van Gelderen, 25, Atlanta, 18 Aug 2017 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the Publix (grocery store) where the false sighting presumably was (close to the parents'/my house). No flyers. I am super disturbed by the false sighting(s) by friend(s). Also, while I respect it, I don't buy into the other theory that someone mentioned before that the sighting was legit even tho it turned out to be wrong b/c Uber friend called in a license plate. If she is a liar, they are good at that kind of thing I believe.

This is what has bothered me. I work at Emory (literally a block from her parents house) and have seen no flyers. The media hasn't covered this at all that I've seen. The only way I knew about this case was because the flyer from Nextdoor was shared on a Facebook group I belong to.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. :wave:

A couple of important reminders from The Rules:

Posts that were not in compliance with the above have been removed.

Also, Jenna's father's FB post that had been shared on the official Find Jenna FB page appears to no longer be shared there. This means the information contained in his post is off limits for discussion unless and until it is posted by the admin of the Find Jenna FB page or the VI posts it here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

:wave: Hi and TY GT. It can't be easy keeping track on here. It has been hard to follow tonight especially I think.

A false sighting does not mean false reporting by the witness. It means the sighting didn't turn out to be the misper. :cow:

Gotcha. Well the second link opens with the line "Atlanta is the largest human trafficking hub in the country" and goes on to say ""In Georgia, we know there's a range from 200-300 girls that are trafficked each month in our city. And tonight there will be 100 girls that will be exploited in metro Atlanta," Bowley said. "So the numbers are huge."

So if we reasonably assume trafficked women are a subset of missing we can assume missing to be higher. I was speaking specifically to trafficking though and misspoke.

If you view my last link you will see the hotline numbera rising each year with this year on track to surpass last year yet again. Those are current.

While most stats speak to the state level, 54% of the population lives in the official metro Atlanta area which doesn't include a few areas that will still say "oh yeah I'm from Atlanta" so even if the state stat is evenly distributed which is highly unlikely, most of it still occurs inside Atlanta.

Yes, I get the difference of course. However, can you imagine your good friend "mistaking" you at the grocery store, jotting down a tag, reporting it to LE, then rushing off to work for fear of being late -- especially after a big swath of the area has been looking for you for 45 days -- AND you were one of the last people to see her? I just think this needs to be explored much more, and I'm hoping that is under way.

Under 18. Sent by parents. One was a pretty big story in Atlanta as she was like 12 and lured to Piedmont park after being convinced to sneak out. As far as facts supporting this here are a few articles:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox5...-trafficking-growing-problem-in-metro-atlanta

8 women found in mansion in march: https://www.google.com/amp/people.c...rafficking-8-women-sandy-springs-mansion/amp/

It's slightly different than those other cities because hartsfield Jackson is the world's busiest airport.

• In 2012, the National Human Tra cking Resource Center received 446 calls from GA, 103 of which were classi ied as high-risk.33
• 5,000 girls are at-risk of being sex tra cked in Georgia.34
• According to a former FBI agent Atlanta has an internal tra cking problem, where minors, many recruited
from the city, are transferred to another county or state.35
• Approximately 374 girls are commercially sexually exploited monthly in Georgia. Average age of entry into
the commercial sex market for girls is 12 and 14 years.36
• Each month, 12,400 men in Georgia pay for sex with a young woman and 7,200 of them end up exploiting an
adolescent female.37
• Craigslist is the most e cient medium for the marketing of sex; ads on this site had 3 times as many hits as similar ads on other websites.38
• Around 65% of men who buy sex with young females do so in and around suburban and metro Atlanta with 9% near the airport.39
• Atlanta has the highest number of tra cked Hispanic females in the nation.40
• On average, 100 juvenile girls are exploited each night in Georgia.41

This is from the human trafficking court website. It has foot notes if you'd like to review further. Feel free to just google "human trafficking Atlanta"

If you'd like to see the stats that indicate yearly increases in call volume to the human trafficking hotline check here: https://humantraffickinghotline.org/state/georgia

If you'd like to become involved helping women recover look up Beloved Atlanta, wellspring living, city of refuge, out of darkness, streetgrace. or she is able. Those are just the ones in Atlanta off the top of my head.

I’m inclined to think your students were sent to boarding facilities in Utah and were probably transported there by controversial “security” type people that work for the boarding school. That’s not human trafficking IMO.

I guess I just don’t really put much into the airport being the busiest correlating with high trafficking stats when bases on the link you provided, OH, FL, and NY all had more cases reported in 2016 than GA. MI wasn’t far behind GA either.

Yes, I get the difference of course. However, can you imagine your good friend "mistaking" you at the grocery store, jotting down a tag, reporting it to LE, then rushing off to work for fear of being late -- especially after a big swath of the area has been looking for you for 45 days -- AND you were one of the last people to see her? I just think this needs to be explored much more, and I'm hoping that is under way.
I believe it's fishy, as well. It couldn't have taken long to track down a girl in the grocery store and I'm pretty sure 99% of bosses would be okay with someone being late if it involved finding a missing friend.

Someone mentioned her maybe having a green shirt on, but it's doubtful Jenna has been missing voluntarily for 45 days and hasn't changed her shirt.

Gotcha. Well the second link opens with the line "Atlanta is the largest human trafficking hub in the country" and goes on to say ""In Georgia, we know there's a range from 200-300 girls that are trafficked each month in our city. And tonight there will be 100 girls that will be exploited in metro Atlanta," Bowley said. "So the numbers are huge."

So if we reasonably assume trafficked women are a subset of missing we can assume missing to be higher. I was speaking specifically to trafficking though and misspoke.

If you view my last link you will see the hotline numbera rising each year with this year on track to surpass last year yet again. Those are current.

While most stats speak to the state level, 54% of the population lives in the official metro Atlanta area which doesn't include a few areas that will still say "oh yeah I'm from Atlanta" so even if the state stat is evenly distributed which is highly unlikely, most of it still occurs inside Atlanta.
Gotcha. I'm still only interested in mispers I.e. official missing people reported to LE not assumptions or subsets.

Yes I could imagine it if she was rushing to get to the child minders on her way to work and thought she glimpsed me so went into the store but could not then find me so took down the tag number to report to my family to check it out. That's what I would want my friend to do.

<modsnip>

Yes I could imagine it if she was rushing to get to the child minders on her way to work and thought she glimpsed me so went into the store but could not then find me so took down the tag number to report to my family to check it out. That's what I would want my friend to do.
Or she saw her park, got the tag number, parked, followed her in, looked everywhere, came out, saw the car was gone and reported to police.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I’m inclined to think your students were sent to boarding facilities in Utah and were probably transported there by controversial “security” type people that work for the boarding school. That’s not human trafficking IMO.

I guess I just don’t really put much into the airport being the busiest correlating with high trafficking stats when bases on the link you provided, OH, FL, and NY all had more cases reported in 2016 than GA. MI wasn’t far behind GA either.

The program they went to wasn't the trafficking. One was picked up at Piedmont by an innocent looking Instagram, one taken in Puerto Rico. Once they were recovered, they were then sent to a wilderness therapy program to process.

It's hard to explain Shire, but that is just not the way of the American South and the behavior of young people here. Yes, a gross generalization, but true. I've traveled extensively for my job and understand the more "hands off/" mind-your-own-business approach that exists between friends/families in other cultures. But it's not that way here. <modsnip>

<modsnip>

<modsnip> Why would Jenna not drive her home and let her take an uber with a stranger?

I have been following this for a while and decided to chime in. I find it hard to believe that the music studio directly across from where Jenna's car was found does not have surveillance footage of anything. Many of the most basic surveillance systems save months of footage at the very minimum before writing over the digital storage. Additionally, the apparent lack of helpful information from Jenna's friends seems to be suspicious.
One theory I had was if Jenna had become involved in a scenario of texting two different men who did not know eachother. Is it possible one of these guys showed up looking for her because she was not responding and found her with another man at the house?

I hope she is found safely sometime soon.

For those who don’t live in/near Atlanta, please believe us when we say the human trafficking statistics are mind-blowing. It is hard to digest living here, let alone living in another city, state or country. Unfortunately, it is our city’s reality and the reason why many of us are so worried for Jenna.
I’m including two links to articles that I feel are a good basis for anyone trying to wrap their head around the human trafficking issue in Atlanta.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=132654&page=1

http://www.wsbradio.com/news/local/atlanta-streets-hub-for-human-trafficking/Icak3xYJ2wyFS55hZBQZJN/

I have been following this for a while and decided to chime in. I find it hard to believe that the music studio directly across from where Jenna's car was found does not have surveillance footage of anything. Many of the most basic surveillance systems save months of footage at the very minimum before writing over the digital storage. Additionally, the apparent lack of helpful information from Jenna's friends seems to be suspicious.
One theory I had was if Jenna had become involved in a scenario of texting two different men who did not know eachother. Is it possible one of these guys showed up looking for her because she was not responding and found her with another man at the house?

I hope she is found safely sometime soon.

At my job we have 8 cameras and the recordings delete after around 24 hours if not sooner. It takes a lot of storage to keep surveillance recordings. I disagree most basic systems store months of videos. Maybe very low def one camera systems, if even. It’s not uncommon to only store for a day and then write over due to lack of storage space for the videos. JMO.

If you know of a company/camera system that can store for a month I would love to switch to them for my own home (paranoid WSer over here lol) so let me know what services you recommend

For those who don’t live in/near Atlanta, please believe us when we say the human trafficking statistics are mind-blowing. It is hard to digest living here, let alone living in another city, state or country. Unfortunately, it is our city’s reality and the reason why many of us are so worried for Jenna.
I’m including two links to articles that I feel are a good basis for anyone trying to wrap their head around the human trafficking issue in Atlanta.

http://www.wsbradio.com/news/local/atlanta-streets-hub-for-human-trafficking/Icak3xYJ2wyFS55hZBQZJN/

I live in and am from NJ/NYC so I know how cruel the world can be. I don’t dismiss Atlanta having a trafficking problem, I just didn’t see the correlation to the airport based on the website provided to me by another poster. Sex trafficking is a problem for sure. It’s not random girls getting snatched off the streets in the middle of the day. It’s vulnerable, and/or at risk females who become victims. That’s why it’s scary in this case, since Jenna may not have had the best judgement or may have been too trusting.

For those who don&#8217;t live in/near Atlanta, please believe us when we say the human trafficking statistics are mind-blowing. It is hard to digest living here, let alone living in another city, state or country. Unfortunately, it is our city&#8217;s reality and the reason why many of us are so worried for Jenna.
I&#8217;m including two links to articles that I feel are a good basis for anyone trying to wrap their head around the human trafficking issue in Atlanta.

I agree. I've lived in Atlanta for almost 15 years, always in what's called ITP - inside the perimeter. It's too easy to believe it's not real because that's how under-the-radar it is. Atlanta is a big, spread out place and no one thinks anything of driving from one side of town to the other very often, because you're still in Atlanta.

I'm friends with an Atlantan journalist who wrote an incredible article about human trafficking in Atlanta back in 2008. Nonprofits combatting human trafficking often go into churches and organizations to tell about their work, which is where I learned about the sources of information on Atlanta as a major hub for international human trafficking - not only does it definitely happen here, but it is also a major pass-through area. Horrific things are mentioned. I know Innocence Atlanta was one organization fighting for the cause, but they don't seem to be active anymore under that name. Trying to find some good resources for facts for you all. There is a wikipedia page about it, if you want to look that up.

I had wondered when and if the Atlanta airport was going to come up. If there's any place that would have camera footage, to confirm one way or another that she'd been there, through there, at any point, that would be the place to find out. College Park, where she wasn't supposed to drive the car, is around the airport, as mentioned. There are MARTA stations (Atlanta's mass transit system) close to places mentioned in these threads, including Lindbergh, as someone else mentioned, and there is a transit line south of her parents' house. And MARTA bus lines are all over the areas on the map. It would not be far-fetched to me that whatever happened, that the airport could have been a likely destination at some point.

MARTA has cameras, too. MARTA, with all its geographical and political limitations - a story for another day :) - did one thing well: the southern terminus of the rail line feeds directly into the airport. No additional shuttle required, proceed to check in and security. Also - Greyhound and Amtrak are possible ways to get out of town easily, and I would think they have cameras.

And, I wanted to mention, speaking of cameras, Publix grocery stores have an amazing camera system. I went there one day to look for something I lost there, and I was able to give them the time of day and where I was, and they found me on the video within minutes. If Jenna was at Publix, there would be footage to prove or disprove it. This has to be how, in addition to the tag info not leading to finding Jenna, LE determined the sighting was not Jenna. I agree it is weird that uber girl didn't pursue finding out if it was really her missed friend, but maybe her boyfriend wouldn't have let her find out right then. Benefit of the doubt, but she does come off as rather slippery when it comes to revealing information - maybe the boyfriend is very controlling in what she can say.

I also live near Emory and frequent 2 Publix locations often, maybe the one is where the false sighting was, where I definitely keep my eyes peeled for a Jenna sighting. Really, anywhere I go these days, I wonder if I will spot her, even if it's away from the Emory area. I go on runs all over the area, too, and am often thinking of this case and Jenna as I do.

I appreciate Subie's participation with all this. My heart breaks over and over as you contribute information and answer, Subie, and when you have to read some of the really difficult-to-read possible theories members have offered. I maintain hope for Jenna's return, despite everything. I take your checkins here to mean that you must find some moral support and hope here.

I have to believe that between LE and PIs handling this case, camera footage has been reviewed and information collected there where possible. I imagine the public locations with camera footage are in places where LE check in often for needs to review footage. I think the same of phone data, info on pings, recordings also reviewed and information collected. I want to believe those who are investigating are holding information close to their chests and revealing as little as possible. It's so easy when you don't know the answers to let your imagination line up details a certain way. I know I have.

Also, I was wondering about our possible red herring, the tapestry, and had the thought that maybe Jenna believed that something valuable was hidden behind it or within that frame, but didn't make a mess finding out. Only a guess.

Wow, I guess I am a verbose new member. I've been pondering some of these thoughts for over a month.

I can't believe we are back at the human trafficking theory again...

Scroll & roll Stanly [emoji87][emoji85]

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

It's hard to explain Shire, but that is just not the way of the American South and the behavior of young people here. Yes, a gross generalization, but true. I've traveled extensively for my job and understand the more "hands off/" mind-your-own-business approach that exists between friends/families in other cultures. But it's not that way here. <modsnip>

:pullhair:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member