GA - Jonah, 3, & Nicole Payne, 2, Warrenton, 23 April 2005

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
kgeaux said:
Boy, y'all better hope that people give you more grace than you're willing to give to these parents when you are needing grace. What more do you think she should have done? She had them indoors, she locked the door. What else do you feel like she should have done?
Hey, I'm sorry, this is a missing persons chatboard and we all have opinions... mine is one of many. I feel very strongly for the innocent who lose their lives.

I feel she should've watched them a little more closely if they had just gotten out hours before. Two hours ago the same thing had happened. If it happens once, ok, shame on them. If it happens twice -- and it did -- shame on her.

That's just my opinion, so if you disagree that's fine. But I don't need to be personally told "boy y'all better hope that people give you more grace ..." for how I feel. Thanks.

Judge lest ye be judged is all I have to say about condemning the mother.

I like to think of myself and hubby as the best parents in the world, but a month ago, my two year old was home with the flu with my hubby. The phone rang and in less than a minute, she went to our bathroom, climbed up on the toilet, got a bottle of aspirin off the top shelf of the medicine cabinet and removed the child-proof lid......and THEN she proceeded to eat some of the aspirin.

Jeana (DP) said:
She's not reading this Cypros, its just us here. AND, if this thread prevents one Websleuths parent from this "mistake," then its well worth it.

You do not know that. People in thomson, GA. ARE reading this....they are NEIGHBORS of this family, and word does get around. We are on the great big old internet, it is not just us.

JerseyGirl said:
That's very frightening yet very sweet at the same time. It shows you the innocence, and why they are so vulnerable.

Yes, but the point is, we did everything we knew to do, yet he STILL got out of the house while we were thinking he was safe in his bed. God forbid, but if something had happened to him that night...would we be seen as terrible parents?

Well, we are all human and we all judge someone for something almost every day of our lives ... it's how a person feels about themselves that is all that matters. I don't know the lady. She probably was a good mom. I'm just very sad and upset that this ended up this way ... and I don't even know those poor dear children.

I'm guessing she probably does regret the events of the day. I do feel bad for her. I do pity her. But we all make the decisions we make and when they are not the right ones, hence hindsight, we are scrutinized for them.
She made a few bad judgement calls. Doesn't mean I detest the woman. I feel mostly for the kids here. I feel sorry for the father, too ... no one is talking much about him.

kgeaux said:
You do not know that. People in thomson, GA. ARE reading this....they are NEIGHBORS of this family, and word does get around. We are on the great big old internet, it is not just us.

You mean to tell me that a woman who just lost two kids is reading an internet forum?????? Yes, I DO KNOW that she's not. Gimme a break. Maybe if enough "word gets around" mommies won't allow their 2 and 3 year olds to play outside ALONE!

Timex said:
Yes, but the point is, we did everything we knew to do, yet he STILL got out of the house while we were thinking he was safe in his bed. God forbid, but if something had happened to him that night...would we be seen as terrible parents?
Not in my book. I'm on your side on this one - I agree that accidents happen. It's tragically unfortunate that this happened but it's not the first time, and sadly it won't be the last.

I think that there was a warning when the kids got out the first time but who knows ... maybe the Mom scolded them and put them on a time out and they agreed through sweet little tears that they'd never do it again. I can never fault her for going to the bathroom, thinking that her kids would be okay for a couple of minutes.

Jeana (DP) said:
You mean to tell me that a woman who just lost two kids is reading an internet forum?????? Yes, I DO KNOW that she's not. Gimme a break. Maybe if enough "word gets around" mommies won't allow their 2 and 3 year olds to play outside ALONE!

But they werent playing outside alone...they were locked inside their home. Guess thats why I dont understand your anger towards this mother. I could see if they had wandered off while being left unattended outside, but in this scenario, I just dont see why this mother is considered to be such a bad woman.

This is so very sad. I can't even imagine what this family is feeling right now. If the mothers story proves to be true then trust me the guilt and hell she is going to put herself through for the rest of her life will be far worse then what any of us here will have to say.

I could say what the heck was she doing, she wasn't paying enough attention....but the simple fact remains we are human beigns and are not perfect. THe sad truth is this a tragic accident and it could happen to anyone of us at any time. Unless we keep our childrenunder lock and key and tethered to our bodies there will be a chacne of an accidetn happening. I think the majority of parents try their very best every single day to keep their children safe.

From what has been reported the is no history of abuse or neglect in this family. This could very well have been the 1st time they wandered off....they neighbor brought them home and mom did lock the door and they wandered again.

PrayersForMaura said:
Hey, I'm sorry, this is a missing persons chatboard and we all have opinions... mine is one of many. I feel very strongly for the innocent who lose their lives.

I feel she should've watched them a little more closely if they had just gotten out hours before. Two hours ago the same thing had happened. If it happens once, ok, shame on them. If it happens twice -- and it did -- shame on her.

That's just my opinion, so if you disagree that's fine. But I don't need to be personally told "boy y'all better hope that people give you more grace ..." for how I feel. Thanks.

I'm sorry, prayers. I could have worded it better. All I mean is that if you are ever in need of grace and mercy, I hope you have it in abundance. I sorta lumped you together with everyone who is upset with the mom, and I shouldn't have done that.

Timex said:
But they werent playing outside alone...they were locked inside their home. Guess thats why I dont understand your anger towards this mother. I could see if they had wandered off while being left unattended outside, but in this scenario, I just dont see why this mother is considered to be such a bad woman.

We had some posters say they didn't think there was anything wrong with allowing a 2 and 3 year old to play outside alone. That's where that part of it came in.

However, I seem to recall reading an article where a neighbor said these two kids WERE allowed to play in the yard of their home alone.

Its my opinion that in some cases, if the kids know that mommie and daddy allow them outside alone, they don't think anything of trying get out there by themselves. Did it happen in this case, maybe.

However, if there's a pattern of this family allowing them to play outside alone, a jury may not believe the mother if she tries to sue the city if she says she locked the door.

It doesn't sound like they were playing alone outside. It sounds like they were in the house locked door and all. And the little 3 yr old has undone the locks and wandered off in the past.

But all it takes is a 2.00 bolt installed reversed or a door jam up high to prevent this. This is so sad and I'm sure the parents will forever blame themselves. Heartbreaking.

worst possible ending. my thoughts and prayers are with this family. those poor little children.

PrayersForMaura said:
And for all we know, after they got out earlier, she could have scolded them and told them never to do that again..and locked the door...and thought that after a scolding they wouldn't do it again. My daughter stuck a key in an electrical outlet when she was 2....you think that would have learned her!! But no, she managed to take a lightbulb out of a lamp and stick her finger in more than once and get shocked, even though she had been told time and time again to stay away from electricity...kids DON'T always listen. What was I to do, never have another lamp in my house? I did make sure she never got hold of keys every again, but obviously she didn't listen to me about the dangers of electricity and didn't learn by pain! Toddlers aren't necessarily known for their ability to listen to adults and follow directions, especially if they are strong willed.

So far I havent heard anything that says there was a pattern of these children being out alone. I have heard they had wandered off earlier that day, which would lead me to think this was something new for them, hence the excitement of doing so, and doing so twice in one day.

Im not even thinking about law suits the parents may bring against the city, since at this time the city has pretty much admitted there were flaws in the fence surrounding the sewage pond. That doesnt mean I feel such a lawsuit could or should be won by these parents. Just as parents cannot prevent every possible accident, nor can a city.

IMO, it appears as if reasonable effort was taken on both the parts of the parents and the city, to ensure the safety of the children. It was simply a tragic accident.

Timex said:
God forbid, but if something had happened to him that night...would we be seen as terrible parents?
maybe by Jeana, but certainly not by me...

That is a very sweet story about him planting flowers - you wonder what gets into kids heads sometimes.

If this Mom was only in the bathroom for a couple of minutes... then comes out to missing toddlers - I can't believe they would be able to be out and down the road out of sight by then.. how fast can a 2 year old walk? My hinky meter is off the scale right now.

Jeana (DP) said:

People in a neighboring town, the town where this dad works, know that this website exists. There is intense interest in this case there as well as here in Louisiana where I am. I wasn't trying to say the mother reads here, I was more disagreeing with your statement that "it's just us." Because it's not, and word does get around. Hopefully, the word that gets around this time is to be extra careful.

You seem to be so angry with the mother. And I guess I don't understand that, because, at this time, it seems as though she tried to do everything she could.

Jeana (DP) said:

Was it ever stated that the children were playing outside alone while their mother went to the restroom? If so, please post the article. Everything that I have read stated they were inside the house while she was in the restroom.

Bubble1421 said:
Was it ever stated that the children were playing outside alone while their mother went to the restroom? If so, please post the article. Everything that I have read stated they were inside the house while she was in the restroom.

I said I thought it was mentioned in a previous news article, that the children had been allowed to play in the front yard alone. I did not say that they were playing outside alone immediately before they disappeared at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday.

Why don't we just see what facts come out instead of guessing?

Casshew said:
maybe by Jeana, but certainly not by me...

That is a very sweet story about him planting flowers - you wonder what gets into kids heads sometimes.

If this Mom was only in the bathroom for a couple of minutes... then comes out to missing toddlers - I can't believe they would be able to be out and down the road out of sight by then.. how fast can a 2 year old walk? My hinky meter is off the scale right now.

I agree that a 2 year old probably can't walk that fast but what would your first reaction be if you came out and saw the door wide open? I would be a complete state of panic. First instinct would be to look outside real quick. If they weren't in sight, go back in and check inside real quick to make sure I didn't miss them, then go back outside and look again while calling everyone under the sun. Depending on the area, they could have easily been hidden by trees at that point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back