GA - Jonah, 3, & Nicole Payne, 2, Warrenton, 23 April 2005

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, they just said that on Saturday, a neighbor noticed the kids wandering off alone outside the house. They got the kids back to the house & the Mom locked the door. This was on the same day!

God bless those beautiful children.

Lili said:
OMG Those poor little babies. I certainly hope Momma is going to jail. For child endangerment if nothing else.

She had locked the doors, one of the kids unlocked them. I dont see endangerment on the part of this mother based on what we are being told at this time.

JerseyGirl said:
Did they just say that the kids were recovered earlier on Saturday after wandering out alone?
yes, I interpreted it that when they were reported seen at 4pm outdoors that it was the neighbor who found them wandeirng out alone.

Parents should have locks high on the doors unfortunately....

Ok, some guy just said that the sanitation pond has a fence around it. So how did they get in? Was the gate unlocked? Was there a hole in the fence? Was it possible for these small children to get in there themselves???

Cypros said:
They are describing this pond as having sewage pumped into it and a coverage of algae (=sanitation pond). Shouldn't the city or county be responsible for fencing in ponds that they use for waste? It may the the city that will be sued for negligence???

They admitted that the pond is fenced around, but there are areas that the kids could have gotten through. And they said the kids had wandered away from home once before....Saturday afternoon at 4 PM. They were returned home by a neighbor. The door to the home was locked, the kids were inside, but the little girl knew how to open the door.....I wonder if the kids were trying to get to the pond earlier that day? And if the minute mom's back was turned, they headed back to it.

I wish we'd have had good news. The world is such a sad, sad place.

PrayersForMaura said:
yes, I interpreted it that when they were reported seen at 4pm outdoors that it was the neighbor who found them wandeirng out alone.

Parents should have locks high on the doors unfortunately....

Kids will still get out. Our son would pull a chair over to the door to undo the lock. We found him outside at 4:00am, planting flowers. Parents simply cannot think of every possible scenario. We do the best we can.

Timex said:
Kids will still get out. Our son would pull a chair over to the door to undo the lock. We found him outside at 4:00am, planting flowers. Parents simply cannot think of every possible scenario. We do the best we can.
Apparently some do do better than others because not all kids wind up dead in ponds.
I'm sorry, but parents do have to be accountable.

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm not sure about the city's negligence, but I think the jury would have a hard time separating the mother from her own negligence in this case.

The kids were indoors in a locked house. What was this mother to do, Jeana? Not pee? Not change a tampon? Come on! Going to the bathroom is NOT negligence!

PrayersForMaura said:
Apparently some do do better than others because not all kids wind up dead in ponds.

We'll just have to disagree. I just dont see how ANY parent can possibly think of EVERY single scenario that could possibly happen to a child. If this were true, there would never be any accidents. Parents are human, not Gods.

If Saturday was the FIRST time the mother knew that the kids could unlock the door and get out, then I have loads of compassion. After all, 4:00 p.m. on a Saturday doesn't give her much time to add higher locks. However, if this was a pattern, then its pretty obvious that something should have been done sooner.

kgeaux said:
The kids were indoors in a locked house. What was this mother to do, Jeana? Not pee? Not change a tampon? Come on! Going to the bathroom is NOT negligence!
I have to agree with Jeanna. If the kids had gotten out just hours before, I would give them a stern warning...

About putting locks higher on the door so kids can't reach them... you can put them high enough so that even if they stand on a chair, they cannot get out.

I understand if a teenager sneaks out and something happens. They are old enough to know a little bit better than a 2 and 3 year old who had just wandered out hours before... especially with ponds nearby.

Hindsight, I know I know ... but what, this should just be chalked up as a sad accident? Those children's lives were more precious than that, and I'm sorry, but how many kids live around that pond and how many are not dead??

kgeaux said:

"Negligence" in the legal terminology is how I meant it. We were discussing lawsuits. The person asked if the parents could sue for negligence. We must assume that the attorney for the city would have to defend the lawsuit. If there was a pattern of these kids "getting out" of the house, it would be difficult for them to bring a tort against the city.

PrayersForMaura said:

Boy, y'all better hope that people give you more grace than you're willing to give to these parents when you are needing grace. What more do you think she should have done? She had them indoors, she locked the door. What else do you feel like she should have done?

I do not think that it is at all fair to blame the mother for using the bathroom for a couple of minutes. IF the story the mother is telling proves to be true, then she did nothing wrong. The children disobeyed. Kids do that. People have to acccept that bad things DO happen. You do the best that you can. Piling more guilt onto this mother at a time of tragic loss is just cruel.

Cypros said:
I do not think that it is at all fair to blame the mother for using the bathroom for a couple of minutes. IF the story the mother is telling proves to be true, then she did nothing wrong. The children disobeyed. Kids do that. People have to acccept that bad things DO happen. You do the best that you can. Piling more guilt onto this mother at a time of tragic loss is just cruel.

She's not reading this Cypros, its just us here. AND, if this thread prevents one Websleuths parent from this "mistake," then its well worth it.

Timex said:
Kids will still get out. Our son would pull a chair over to the door to undo the lock. We found him outside at 4:00am, planting flowers.
That's very frightening yet very sweet at the same time. It shows you the innocence, and why they are so vulnerable.

Timex said:
She had locked the doors, one of the kids unlocked them. I dont see endangerment on the part of this mother based on what we are being told at this time.
Oh, Thanks, kids are magicians sometimes, I know.
Any updates?

Cypros said:

Amen. It takes my breath away that some are willing to add to add to this family's pain.

If this is indeed the tragic accident it appears to be, then the mother inthis picture does not need us crucifing her. She'll be doing that herself for the rest of her life, most likely.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexoing
Back