GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
VinniePolitan Vinnie Politan
Neighbors at Jorelys Rivera's apt complex have been talking to investigators about a maintenance worker...

from twitter...

Paraphrasing, the mother states that she is a good mother and her kids want for nothing. They have a food, a room, basically anything they want. Then the mother asks why this could happen to her daughter. I really feel for her on one hand, but I also think that she is not getting that she left her kids unattended far too often. This may be the VERY reason that Jorelys was targeted. They may have had everything they needed materially, but what they really needed too was attention - a mother. JMHO Not trying to blame a victim here, but...

I hope that Jorelys cause of death - blunt force trama - was first. I hope that she did not suffer the beatings and rape prior to death. I am realistic, but I can always wish that she did not know of the horrible things that happened to her.

If they suspect 1 - 1.5 hours after she was missing, they may have dumped her little body in the dark after LE left for the night. :(

If being a good mother is based on providing my son with "basically anything he wants", well then I must be fantastic.

When you become a mom, you have to learn to put your needs aside (such as sending the children out to play alone for hours on end). To love, and to nurture - to spend time with them.

Baed on comments I read under several articles, this area is known for drug dealings, stabbings and violence.

I don't care if she fed the kids 3 gourmet meals a day -- when you send your children outside under these dangerous conditions, you're asking for trouble. Even if you send them outside with a teenage babysitter.

So the next time she asks "why this happened to her" -- take a good hard look in the mirror. Ignorance isn't always bliss.

Sorry, but that's how I feel. If a mother won't protect her children she can't expect anyone else to :(

MOO

Mel

random thought: why in the hello are the vacant apartments unlocked for?????

Ongoing daily maintenance - imo.
Back in the days when I was leasing apartments (way, way back), we would leave units unlocked with the front door open to let paint dry. We would also leave it unlocked for the people bringing in new CARPET. However, the complex I leased for was rather large and to get from point A - B usually required a golf cart. The property managers always wanted someone on the front desk in the case potential renters came - and then you have that angle too. If there was an "Open House" the apartment for viewing was typically unlocked as well.

So many reasons, not saying they are correct - but there are quite a few reasons why it would be unlocked.

do maintenance peeps typically live 'on site'?

I am hopping back in just with my experience. Usually in the bigger, chain like complexes, everyone lives on site in the case of an emergency (even I lived on on site).
When I moved to the West Coast, only the manager lives on the complex and everyone else is contracted in.

I think it can work either way, so, typical? I am going to guess in this economy maybe not.

In terms of apartment reviews on this complex, I am going to double guess that he/she probably isn't on site.

How old are the other children? What about the babysitter? How old is she? Was mom at work when this happened?

I don't understand why they took the kids away from her.

How old are the other children? What about the babysitter? How old is she? Was mom at work when this happened?

I don't understand why they took the kids away from her.

- around the ages of 1 and 4

- not much known about the babysitter.. some reports say she lived in the apartment

-kids were taken away because they were not properly supervised

-mom works nights at the chicken plant and was sleeping when this happened. she says she last saw Jorelys on thursday before she left for work. (J had left for school by the time she got home)

In theory, I don't see anything wrong with a mom having a teenager watch her children while she tries to get some sleep, if indeed there was a teenager and that teen was paid and/or contracted to watch the kids. I was a teen babysitter, as I am sure were many WS members, and it was not as though this took place in the late hours of the night, meaning that the children should have been perfectly safe with a teenager watching them. Obviously, something went very wrong here, but if indeed the mom had arranged for someone to watch her children, that shouldn't be a problem in itself. JMO

(As far as the other children being taken...either there is more to it, as far as neglect, or CPS is reacting retroactively, IMO.)

ita..

also: her school lets out at 2:15

(it is 1.8 miles from the apartment)

100 River Ridge Dr, Canton, GA 30114 to Canton Elementary School - Google Maps

She probably got home between 2:40 and 3:00. But ... in Cherokee county, some school have two loads of bus runs. We're in Cherokee county, live less than a mile from our schools, but for whatever reason, my kids/neighborhood are second load for elementary and middle school. Even though we're so close to the school, if they ride the bus, they get home more than an hour after school lets out.

do maintenance peeps typically live 'on site'?

Many do - especially for after hour emergency calls. I managed apartments years and years ago (20+), and we had a maintenance apartment where we kept all the supplies while we were doing a major remodel. One day I decided to pay a visit, and walked in on one of the crew members taking a shower. Come to find out the guy helped himself to the apartment and was living there without me knowing it. Of course he was fired straight away, but I could see this happening if there were vacant/unlocked apartments here.

You just never know who's gonna come in and take over.

I hope they find the perp stat!

Mel

In theory, I don't see anything wrong with a mom having a teenager watch her children while she tries to get some sleep, if indeed there was a teenager and that teen was paid and/or contracted to watch the kids. I was a teen babysitter, as I am sure were many WS members, and it was not as though this took place in the late hours of the night, meaning that the children should have been perfectly safe with a teenager watching them. Obviously, something went very wrong here, but if indeed the mom had arranged for someone to watch her children, that shouldn't be a problem in itself. JMO

(As far as the other children being taken...either there is more to it, as far as neglect, or CPS is reacting retroactively, IMO.)

I agree. The children being taken away makes no sense IF indeed she had a babysitter to watch the kids. I've known single moms who had night jobs and the teenage child would be home alone with the siblings. There has got to be more to this story. Something is just not adding up for me.

I've screen shotted the map of the complex area. Can any locals tell me if these are the locations of the playground and/or trash area within the complex??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-06 at 1.01.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-12-06 at 1.01.42 PM.png
    770.4 KB · Views: 34
I agree. The children being taken away makes no sense IF indeed she had a babysitter to watch the kids. I've known single moms who had night jobs and the teenage child would be home alone with the siblings. There has got to be more to this story. Something is just not adding up for me.

the babysitter left them unsupervised... so they were unsupervised. That is why they were taken pending investigation..

there also seems to be some local chatter about them having these issues (kids running around unsupervised) in the past.

there is a link upstream (I believe it is fox) that explains

What concerns me about the sitter situation is somebody had to watch the kids while Mom slept but also while she worked, so did the teenager watch the kids all of this time ?

Also we don't know the age of the sitter, just teenager.

I think we'd need more details on the teenager (age, status in school, etc.) Was the teeneager the overnight babysitter too? I mean, if she's 13 or 14, I can see DFCS having a problem with a 13 or 14 year old always being the only person responsible for a 7 year old, 4 year old and one year old OVERNIGHT, from 6 pm until ....when Joerly gets on the bus in the morning? And all day for the two younger ones? All the time, being responsible for getting a seven year old off to school every morning... And then there's the question of who is watching the 4 year old and 1 year old during the day? If it's a teen, why isn't she in school? It would seem she might be on duty 24 hours a day if the other two aren't in daycare. Is mom contributing to the delinquency of a minor? I think those might be the questions people have.

But I do think there's also the possibility that there is a history with DFCS and/or DFCS is trying to save face.

:seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member