GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have courtesy officers that check the vacant units when he walks the property - he makes sure all the lights are off and the doors are secure, and then submits an all clear report every morning. I wonder if this community has any type of courtesy or security patrol.

You just reminded me of something. Of the four apartments I rented years ago (north of Atlanta), and the one my hubby rented before we were married, NONE of them had overhead lights in the living room area. Kitchen, yes. Bathroom, yes. If there was a hallway, maybe. Bedroom .... sometimes. Living room ... never. All living rooms of apartments we rented had to be lit by our own lamps.

Is that pretty common for all apartments--no overhead lighting in living rooms?

It just made me think that the vacant apartment's living rooms would be pretty dark/shadowed if glanced in at looking for a child after 7:30 pm. No floor lamps. Light via flashlights, maybe the light from the kitchen or a nearby hall...

From the 6pm WSB broadcast...

Cherokee County Sheriff Garrison is planning to discipline 2 of his Deputies for failing to report a small amount of blood they saw in a very cursory look into the vacant apartment that turned out to be the murder scene, only mentioning it to the GBI when they were brought in on Monday. Sheriff is calling for a full Internal Affairs investigation regarding the actions of every Deputy involved in the search for Jorelys. Of course, we know that it was Sheriff Garrison who called in the GBI and CART teams late Sunday.

Repeating the criticism of the Chief of Canton PD not appearing at least Saturday for the searches as the case was quite high-profile in the metro Atlanta media by early Saturday afternoon. Reporter got the Chief on the phone and asked him point blank where he was during Saturday afternoon, but the Chief declined to answer. The inference was left that he was on personal time/activities.

Westie Mom

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't one media report say there was blood splattered everywhere in the vacant apartment?

You just reminded me of something. Of the four apartments I rented years ago (north of Atlanta), and the one my hubby rented before we were married, NONE of them had overhead lights in the living room area. Kitchen, yes. Bathroom, yes. If there was a hallway, maybe. Bedroom .... sometimes. Living room ... never. All living rooms of apartments we rented had to be lit by our own lamps.

Is that pretty common for all apartments--no overhead lighting in living rooms?

It just made me think that the vacant apartment's living rooms would be pretty dark/shadowed if glanced in at looking for a child after 7:30 pm. No floor lamps. Light via flashlights, maybe the light from the kitchen or a nearby hall...

Management likes to give a ceiling fan w/light as an incentive to renew the lease. On some of our 10 year old properties there are still LR's without a light. In most there are kitchen and hallway lights, enough to see they are on. We do these checks for safety and to save on energy costs.

They searched on Saturday, not Friday night...so there would have been light coming in.

No one but the manager is involved in hiring a porter. The owners wouldn't bother. HR does the paperwork.

Did you actually read my post? I said that the owner was probably not involved, but the "company" probably had a procedure. As you said, HR probably does the paperwork, which would include a background check.

What is a "porter"? This is an apartment complex not a hotel.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't one media report say there was blood splattered everywhere in the vacant apartment?

Yes, however I do not recall that being a direct quote from authorities. I now believe that may have been shoddy reporting. Someone wanting to enhance their story through descriptive, titillating, imaginative details.

Is there a timeline on RB yet? I ask this cause of this blood amount that is being talked about, and clean up time.

I am still under the impression that RB went to JR's house and asked the mother for a picture of her, then went to the leasing office to help in the search.

This obviously couldn't be on the same day, Friday. Right?

I think I will always be speculating till LE puts out what they have on this RB, and waiting 2 months to formally charge him is a lot of loose string in my mind.

Hi TL - the mattress with SPOTS of blood on it would not alarm me if I were walking the apartment as a community staff member when a child was not missing. Almost every mattress that's left behind in an apartment has blood on it. If a maintenance person was with the officer searching and they did see blood on the mattress (not covering it, but small spots all over), I'll bet that maint. person probably said the same thing -that there's always blood on the mattresses left behind.

I do understand that blood spots can get on mattresses(bloody noses, scrapes, routine lady cycles), but I think most people clean visable blood immediately.....I have to disagree that blood stained mattresses are "routine" outside of crime scenes.

re: gngr snap post -
I too am wondering how J McC never heard or saw anything concerning Jorelys. Unless somehow there is a fire barrier between McC's upstairs apartment and the vacant crime scene apartment below. I would think he would've heard something. Perhaps some of the deadly deeds were started somewhere else and finally finished in the vacant apartment. Hence the fact that there was a running Honda where the victim disappeared from the playground. Later the victims was returned to where she was found. Then again RB did duct tape the victims mouth and tie her hands and feet, thus immobilizing her. IDK, just a thought.

from same article:
It was only when the GBI arrived and began debriefing everyone on the evening of Dec. 4 that the two officers reported being in a vacant apartment filled with trash and seeing a small amount of blood "like you would see with a nosebleed," Garrison said. That apartment, police think, was the crime scene.

FILLED WITH TRASH? Who else here was picturing a clean, ready-to-lease vacant apartment this whole time? Learn something new every day! Must HAVE been a recent vacate as some of us here speculated. Hmmm.

it is distressing... especially since they NOTICED a small amount of blood...

When these officers found traces of blood in the vacant apartment, they would be able to tell if the blood was "fresh" or "old".

Fresh blood is bright red and old blood is dry and brownish red.

If the blood belonged to the perp or the victim in this case, the blood they found would have been "fresh" which should have raised a red flag since the apartment was vacant.

from same article:
It was only when the GBI arrived and began debriefing everyone on the evening of Dec. 4 that the two officers reported being in a vacant apartment filled with trash and seeing a small amount of blood "like you would see with a nosebleed," Garrison said. That apartment, police think, was the crime scene.

FILLED WITH TRASH? Who else here was picturing a clean, ready-to-lease vacant apartment this whole time? Learn something new every day! Must HAVE been a recent vacate as some of us here speculated. Hmmm.

I figured it was one they had him trashing out. From the sounds of it, he just got the assignment, probably on Friday.

http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/cherokee-sheriff-mistake-made-1260332.html

a VACANT apartment with trash and the amount of blood you would see with a bloody nose? Hmm I was thinking it wasn't even obvious that was blood sounds like they both knew it was.
They were looking for a missing child not a crime scene. I now believe that they might have been thinking JR would turn up again... moo

This new information leads me question the quick arrest of RB. Earlier media reports gave the message that the vacant apartment was obviously a crime scene, with walls and floors of at least one room covered with blood. (That room also contained a mattress.) The reports included mention of blood splatters on the floor, walls and maybe ceiling. Now LE is saying that it was a trashed-filled recently vacated apartment with the amount of blood you would see from a bloody nose.

I hope the local LE is not just pinning this on somebody (who is not a local, but a recent transplant) that is innocent to cover up for the fact that they screwed up in the beginning. It is a fact that the "good old boy" mentality is still very strong in much of the US, including Georgia.

We need to see some real evidence and we need to see it soon....

This was probably a really badly left apartment. I've seen some I feel I need a hazmat suit to go into. I wonder how much trash was there.

This new information leads me question the quick arrest of RB. Earlier media reports gave the message that the vacant apartment was obviously a crime scene, with walls and floors (and maybe ceiling) of at least one room, that also contained a mattress, covered with blood spatters. Now LE is saying that it was a trashed-filled recently vacanted apartment with the amount of blood you would see from a bloody nose.

I hope the local LE is not just pinning this on somebody (who is not a local, but a recent transplant) that is innocent to cover up for the fact that they screwed up in the beginning. It is a fact that the "good old boy" mentality is still very strong in much of the US, including Georgia.

We need to see some real evidence and we need to see it soon....

I'm not sure how blood on the walls and floors would prove RB did this. Common sense tells me the evidence is on her clothes, the soda cans, her purse, inside her, etc., and is probably what they have, IMO. The large amounts of blood, as I stated before, might have been found with luminol - but they're not saying.

Sorry for posting so much at one time, but I just thought of something - they said the apartment had trash in it - so, after the briefing, and when the police went back to that apartment, did it still have trash in it? Had RB taken the trash out prior to LE searching the apartment again? I can't help but wonder if her little body was in a bag of trash that LE saw sitting there.

I'm not sure how blood on the walls and floors would prove RB did this. Common sense tells me the evidence is on her clothes, the soda cans, her purse, inside her, etc., and is probably what they have, IMO. The large amounts of blood, as I stated before, might have been found with luminol - but they're not saying.

For me the fact that there was not as much blood being reported now is not the part that bothers me. What bothers me is that now the story is changing. The reported facts are changing. So what is going to change next. It is just kind of making my faith that the evidence is overwhelming a little shaky. jmo

re: gngr snap post -
I too am wondering how J McC never heard or saw anything concerning Jorelys. Unless somehow there is a fire barrier between McC's upstairs apartment and the vacant crime scene apartment below. I would think he would've heard something. Perhaps some of the deadly deeds were started somewhere else and finally finished in the vacant apartment. Hence the fact that there was a running Honda where the victim disappeared from the playground. Later the victims was returned to where she was found. Then again RB did duct tape the victims mouth and tie her hands and feet, thus immobilizing her. IDK, just a thought.

BBM=bolded by me in the above quote

Hi abagale, What are you talking about in regards to "the victim being returned to where she was found?" She was found in a dumpster!!

from same article:

Yes a lot of people are confused about what Brunn actually did at the complex.

I lived at the same apartment complex for 5 years. My apartment was very close to the "maintenance shack" so I became friendly with a lot of the maintenance people.

I think our Resident Web Sleuths Apartment Manager can confirm most of this.

Here is the pecking order when it comes to maintenance

Apartment Manager

Head Maintenance Guy - Instructed to complete work orders that tenants request and get vacant apartments ready for new tenants. This guy is a jack of all trades. May have heating and air experience.

Assistant Maintenance Guy - This guy does whatever the head maintenance guy needs him to do, and assists him in his job. This guy is a jack of all trades Jr. Sometimes this guy has heating and air experience

Grounds Keeper, Porter- This dude is low man on the totem pole (with a chance for advancement) He picks up trash, cleans the dumpster area, may do some "landscaping", empties trash cans throughout the property, removes trash that is left behind in vacant apartments, he would also clean the playground area if needed.

So you see this RB went from living with Mom to living with a roomie to having 36 apartments all to himself at any given time.

For me the fact that there was not as much blood being reported now is not the part that bothers me. What bothers me is that now the story is changing. The reported facts are changing. So what is going to change next. It is just kind of making my faith that the evidence is overwhelming a little shaky. jmo

The article said the first LE on the scene reported the blood at the briefing, but that it was not a lot of blood. When LE went back, I'm fairly certain they used luminol to see it there was more, and that is when they found it. I don't recall reading there was blood on the ceiling...not that you said it...but that seems extreme.

The other thing would be the type of trash bag he used to get rid of her, if he used one. Apartment communities usually always use commercial, heavy bags to trash out apartments that are not found at the Piggly Wiggly. This would be a huge clue.

Yes a lot of people are confused about what Brunn actually did at the complex.

I lived at the same apartment complex for 5 years. My apartment was very close to the "maintenance shack" so I became friendly with a lot of the maintenance people.

I think our Resident Web Sleuths Apartment Manager can confirm most of this.

Here is the pecking order when it comes to maintenance

Apartment Manager

Head Maintenance Guy - Instructed to complete work orders that tenants request and get vacant apartments ready for new tenants. This guy is a jack of all trades. May have heating and air experience.

Assistant Maintenance Guy - This guy does whatever the head maintenance guy needs him to do, and assists him in his job. This guy is a jack of all trades Jr. Sometimes this guy has heating and air experience

Grounds Keeper, Porter- This dude is low man on the totem pole (with a chance for advancement) He picks up trash, cleans the dumpster area, may do some "landscaping", empties trash cans throughout the property, removes trash that is left behind in vacant apartments, he would also clean the playground area if needed.

So you see this RB went from living with Mom to living with a roomie to having 36 apartments all to himself at any given time.

Some have make-ready guys and painters, but yeah, that would be the pecking order. If there was no make-ready person, he probably did a few fix it things as well - in vacant apartments. It's rare he would be given keys to occupied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarah0