GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She left alone and didn't return.

"She reportedly told other children at the playground that she was going inside to get drinks, but never returned."
http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/police-find-body-of-1249642.html

:bump: above article 6 Dec

and this from 14 Dec

http://www.ledgernews.com/news/1108...urder-charge-case-not-presented-to-grand-jury

The search began Friday evening, Dec. 2, after she vanished from a playground in the River Ridge apartment complex around 5 p.m.

The 911 call to report her missing was made that same night at 7:12 p.m., said Lt. Jay Baker, public information officer for the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office. The call was dispatched at 7:15 p.m., and Canton police arrived on the scene at 7:30 p.m., Baker added.

Law enforcement authorities upgraded the case status from missing to child abduction by 3:15 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 3.

Jorelys’ body was discovered in a trash compact Dumpster around 12:30 p.m., Dec. 5, three days following her disappearance. Cherokee County Deputy Coroner Thomas Pinyan Sr. pronounced her dead at the scene.

Canton Emergency Management Director Jeff Hall said the child was supposed to be under the supervision of an unidentified family friend, however, police now believe this was not the case.

“There is no indication that the babysitter was ever at the playground,” Baker said.

The 17-year-old “babysitter” reportedly lives in the Rivera home.

Investigators said they believed that prior to her disappearance, Jorelys went into the apartment to grab some drinks for her friends. Baker said statements provided by witnesses indicate that the child returned to the park after getting the drinks.

When asked if the soda cans were found and were being tested, Baker responded, “Property was collected; (we are) not going to divulge.”

I think this is going to be very bad when we hear the totality of it. One of the things that I noticed is that she was killed by blunt force trauma to the head. So she did not die by the stabbings if I assume correctly. If she were stabbed after she died would there be a lot of blood? I do not even want to verbalize what I think might have been done! There was something done to her that is described as horrific and brutal. (to me that means she may have been alive for most of it) They discuss this is a mammoth case. When I hear that word I think of huge and wonder what else the investigation will encompass? I hope she wasn't conscious.

I also suspect that "the killing" may have been "planned and calculated" but Jorelys was just the convenient one. If it is planned and calculated that means they have evidence of preparation to me. I suspect they want to wait on all tests, etc to come back and have their t's crossed and i's dotted.

There were also other injuries to the child that I am not going to describe,” Keenan said during a press conference Dec. 6. “This is a horrific and brutal murder.”

Keenan also said last week that he did not know “to what extent” Jorelys was targeted, but called the killing “very calculated and planned.”

“This is a mammoth case,” Keenan said, noting the investigation would continue for several months. “We are confident Brunn is the killer. That is why he is in custody.”
http://www.ledgernews.com/news/1108...urder-charge-case-not-presented-to-grand-jury

Going back to catch up.

I keep going back to her diary. When they say planned and calculated...it makes sense if the diary had entries about him. Maybe meeting him somewhere - going somewhere fun - "secrets". I used to write entries about Davy Jones of the Monkeys in mine - my mother actually thought he was someone from my real life and went looking for him, lol. Point is, even at that age, there are "crush" feelings, which mean affection to a 7 year old and nothing more. However, if she had mentioned anything to do with meeting him, secrets, etc., he's pretty married to intent.

There are no words to ease the thought of what this baby girl may have gone through. My prayer is that he killed her quickly, immediately.

A little history on Ryan and his Canton connection. He had been going back and forth apparently. Sorry if it's a repeat. It was something I hadn't noticed before. He had been there on and off for a year.

snipped

Brunn was a resident of Lumpkin County until about a year ago when he moved to Canton,said Bankhead.

During that year he reportedly continued to stay in Dahlonega frequently until taking a permanent job at River Ridge Apartments last month.

GBI agents began working with the Lumpkin County Sheriff's Office soon after Rivera's abduction as they interviewed local family members of Brunn and surveilled different areas throughout the county.

Bankhead said the investigation will be ongoing.

"We do have agents working with the Lumpkin County Sheriff's Office and others to follow up on his background and anything that could be useful," he said.

http://thedahloneganugget.com/view/...-of-Canton-girl?instance=breakingNews_article

I don't think this is accurate. Ryan moved to Canton in November of this year to start a new job and he lived with his family in Dahlonega until then. Ryan had a job in Dahlonega required him to work weekends but I'm not sure what he did.

No, I did not say there was blood on the ceiling. As a matter of fact I just recall the reports that there was a bloody mattress. I think probably after hearing of the wounds I pictured in my mind lots of blood. Certainly more than what would appear as a bloody nose. And I believe initial reports indicated it was a gruesome scene. So now with the reports minimizing that it appears to me they are backing off the original reports. I believe there have even been reports that people would be shocked at the things that were done when the truth comes out. So, it lends to a worse crime scene than what we are now being told. But, then again we really aren't being told much. The fatal blow to the head could have been in the woods or outside thus not much blood in the apt.

I think it is a good theory that she may have been in one of those trash bags. But, the truth is until more information is released, it is just going to be speculation and nothing concrete has been presented to implicate RB. JMO
He could have cleaned a lot up - on the surface, anyway, just with what they have in their maintenance shop. As you can imagine, they have to clean some nasty stuff off walls and floors all the time. Bleach is bought in bulk, among other cleansers.

Does anyone know if blood can be seen through kilz with luminol?

I don't think this is accurate. Ryan moved to Canton in November of this year to start a new job and he lived with his family in Dahlonega until then. Ryan had a job in Dahlonega required him to work weekends but I'm not sure what he did.

He worked at Krystal's restaurant - where was that located?

From the 6pm WSB broadcast...

Cherokee County Sheriff Garrison is planning to discipline 2 of his Deputies for failing to report a small amount of blood they saw in a very cursory look into the vacant apartment that turned out to be the murder scene, only mentioning it to the GBI when they were brought in on Monday. Sheriff is calling for a full Internal Affairs investigation regarding the actions of every Deputy involved in the search for Jorelys. Of course, we know that it was Sheriff Garrison who called in the GBI and CART teams late Sunday.

Repeating the criticism of the Chief of Canton PD not appearing at least Saturday for the searches as the case was quite high-profile in the metro Atlanta media by early Saturday afternoon. Reporter got the Chief on the phone and asked him point blank where he was during Saturday afternoon, but the Chief declined to answer. The inference was left that he was on personal time/activities.

Westie Mom

Hmmmm :waitasec: sorry can't pass this up..
Hope his wife knew where he was :innocent: (just kidding)

I didn't see where this had been posted before, please forgive me if it has:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/sheriff-admits-major-mistakes-made-search-jorelys-/nF3MN/

<<< respectfully snipped from above >>>

14 Dec

A week and a half later, Cherokee County Sheriff Roger Garrison now admits one of his deputies and a trainee made a major mistake, clearing an empty apartment that turned out to be the crime scene where Jorelys was killed.

The sheriff said the deputies didn't tell anyone they saw what looked like a small amount of blood inside the apartment, only speaking up when questioned by the Georgia Bureau of investigation two days later.

okay wait . . . I thought the crime scene was WAY bloody. By the way MSM is reporting this heinous crime, I was under the impression blood was everywhere -- even the ceiling.

What is going on here?

:bump: above article 6 Dec

and this from 14 Dec

The search began Friday evening, Dec. 2, after she vanished from a playground in the River Ridge apartment complex around 5 p.m.

The 911 call to report her missing was made that same night at 7:12 p.m., said Lt. Jay Baker, public information officer for the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office. The call was dispatched at 7:15 p.m., and Canton police arrived on the scene at 7:30 p.m., Baker added.

Law enforcement authorities upgraded the case status from missing to child abduction by 3:15 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 3.

Jorelys’ body was discovered in a trash compact Dumpster around 12:30 p.m., Dec. 5, three days following her disappearance. Cherokee County Deputy Coroner Thomas Pinyan Sr. pronounced her dead at the scene.

Canton Emergency Management Director Jeff Hall said the child was supposed to be under the supervision of an unidentified family friend, however, police now believe this was not the case.

“There is no indication that the babysitter was ever at the playground,” Baker said.

The 17-year-old “babysitter” reportedly lives in the Rivera home.

Investigators said they believed that prior to her disappearance, Jorelys went into the apartment to grab some drinks for her friends. Baker said statements provided by witnesses indicate that the child returned to the park after getting the drinks.

When asked if the soda cans were found and were being tested, Baker responded, “Property was collected; (we are) not going to divulge.”
They didn't search the vacant units until Saturday though...which gave him time to dump her body Friday night. Interesting about the cans, makes sense that finding these would tell them an awful lot.

14 Dec

A week and a half later, Cherokee County Sheriff Roger Garrison now admits one of his deputies and a trainee made a major mistake, clearing an empty apartment that turned out to be the crime scene where Jorelys was killed.

The sheriff said the deputies didn't tell anyone they saw what looked like a small amount of blood inside the apartment, only speaking up when questioned by the Georgia Bureau of investigation two days later.

okay wait . . . I thought the crime scene was WAY bloody. By the way MSM is reporting this heinous crime, I was under the impression blood was everywhere -- even the ceiling.

What is going on here?

I just can't imagine how he could have gotten blood on the ceiling....even if he stabbed her while she was standing up - that seems unbelievable. MSM - methinks they exaggerate a titch.

"having 36 apartments all to himself at any given time."

Agreed but I thought it was stated that River Ridge at Canton had 36 vacancies at the time of this incident.

Something like that cat. I think they were 90% occupied, but I forget now how many units they have, over 500? 578? Anyway, they usually open a few for the maint. staff and vendors to work in and then lock them at the end of the day. I feel very fortunate to have been in this business for over 25 years and I've only dealt with one child being molested, but she got away from him and ran to the leasing office. We do everything in our power to make sure the residents are safe, but there's nothing you can do when something like this happens - I'n sure they did a background check...all they can do. The problem is going to be if the mother or her son knew Brunn was bad news..

Vlpate, are you affiliated with this complex or the current management of where Jorely's was living at the time? (sorry, missed that part) Is it ran by a large group etc..? I missed your connection apparently on your expertise of the management and duties/titles of employees. I ask because there's only so many places without this type of standards you have. tia

Can someone give me a link to the reference about her diary? I have totally missed that. Thanks so much!

Nevermind, I found it- it's way back at the first of this thread and the last of the previous one...

Vlpate, are you affiliated with this complex or the current management of where Jorely's was living at the time? (sorry, missed that part) Is it ran by a large group etc..? I missed your connection apparently on your expertise of the management and duties/titles of employees. I ask because there's only so many places without this type of standards you have. tia

I believe she is a long time apartment manager, not at River Ridge at Canton but somewhere else. It is great to have her insight.:star:

Yes it seems Vlplate runs a tight ship but it remains to be seen how tight of a ship they ran at River Ridge at Canton.

No, I did not say there was blood on the ceiling. As a matter of fact I just recall the reports that there was a bloody mattress. I think probably after hearing of the wounds I pictured in my mind lots of blood. Certainly more than what would appear as a bloody nose. And I believe initial reports indicated it was a gruesome scene. So now with the reports minimizing that it appears to me they are backing off the original reports. I believe there have even been reports that people would be shocked at the things that were done when the truth comes out. So, it lends to a worse crime scene than what we are now being told. But, then again we really aren't being told much. The fatal blow to the head could have been in the woods or outside thus not much blood in the apt.

Before this news broke, would have been I think it is a good theory that she may have been in one of those trash bags. But, the truth is until more information is released, it is just going to be speculation and nothing concrete has been presented to implicate RB. JMO

This is what I thought too, that the reported facts had been grossly exaggerated.

When Natisha Lance (NG) asked LE whether Jorelys' body was placed in a trash bag, they refused to answer her question.

The autopsy report said Jorelys was stabbed multiple times and was hit hard in the head so she would have lost alot of blood after she was stabbed.

If you examined the droplets of blood they found in the vacant apartment you could tell whether someone &#8220;cleaned up&#8221; there because the blood would be smeared and you would be able to detect traces of it on the floor. Someone said in a previous post that blood can be detected in the drains.

This breaking news debunks LE's theory that Jorelys was abducted from the playground, taken to a vacant apartment and murdered there.

If Jorelys returned to the playground with drinks for herself and her playmates, her playmates must have seen who took her. If the perp called her and told her to come with them, her playmates would have heard him calling too so there is a chance her playmates know who this person is because Jorelys went willingly. If it was Ryan Brunn, the playmates would be able to identify him.

How many children were on the playground with Jorelys and were any of them her siblings?

I attended the search, viewing, funeral, and vigil for Jorelys.

Are we allowed to discuss our experiences, observations, conversation, and emotions about it here? I would very much like to share what I saw and heard. I think it would probably help me accept it a little better.

Something like that cat. I think they were 90% occupied, but I forget now how many units they have, over 500? 578? Anyway, they usually open a few for the maint. staff and vendors to work in and then lock them at the end of the day. I feel very fortunate to have been in this business for over 25 years and I've only dealt with one child being molested, but she got away from him and ran to the leasing office. We do everything in our power to make sure the residents are safe, but there's nothing you can do when something like this happens - I'n sure they did a background check...all they can do. The problem is going to be if the mother or her son knew Brunn was bad news..

There are 356 apartments at RR complex and 35 were vacant I believe.

There are 356 apartments at RR complex and 35 were vacant I believe.

The small amount of blood could have been on the door and the crime scene could have been in a bedroom that they did not go into until later. So, there still could have been blood everywhere. And also wasn't there supposed to be a bloody mattress? jmo

I think that the officers may have only went into the LR/DR area and maybe called out for Jorelys and that is the area the small amount of blood was seen but not reported until the GBI arrived. I think it is very possible the actual crime scene was in the bedroom. In the article (link below) it does not state that this small amount of blood was eventually the only blood found.

I'm not defending the officers lack of action by any means. I am just pointing out the article doesn't explain if this small amount of blood was all that was found or if there was more.

http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/cherokee-sheriff-mistake-made-1260332.html

<snipped from link above>

"Garrison said at the time the deputies were not looking for a crime scene.

It was only when the GBI arrived and began debriefing everyone on the evening of Dec. 4 that the two officers reported being in a vacant apartment filled with trash and seeing a small amount of blood "like you would see with a nosebleed," Garrison said. That apartment, police think, was the crime scene.

"These officers both feel extremely bad about what happened," Garrison said. "They thought they were doing the best they could. They were moving to other parts of the building to try to get a lot accomplished very fast and in their haste, they made a mistake."

He worked at Krystal's restaurant - where was that located?

I believe he said he worked at the the Krystal in Dawsonville, which is closer to Dahlonega than Canton.

http://krystal.com/locations/

If you type in Dawsonville, GA, it will show you the Dawsonville location and the Canton Krystal location. The Canton location appears to be about 25 miles from Dawsonville. :seeya:

I attended the search, viewing, funeral, and vigil for Jorelys.

Are we allowed to discuss our experiences, observations, conversation, and emotions about it here? I would very much like to share what I saw and heard. I think it would probably help me accept it a little better.

Hello LonelyPoet :) So glad to have you here. Several posters on this thread are in the area and have posted their own impressions of the Jorelys events they've attended/participated in. We welcome yours as well.

Please note if you want to share "inside" information that relates to the suspect/the principals or the case itself it is a good idea to be verified by the administration before sharing.

If it just a matter of sharing your thoughts, impressions, experiences then please do. We welcome your insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member