GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband (my new husband, not the one I talke about in my last post)is from Mexico, and when talking about the veiwing, he's said that the attitudes/practices surrounding death/ corpses are really different in Hispanic culture. I don't think this was disrespectful.

I understand Annette, just differences in culture. That's one of the reasons I said we will probably get a lot more info from spanish news--if news is to be had---differences in cultures.

Actually there is a video of her laying in her coffin at the link above as well

Bless her heart.

Her father created a carriage to carry her on with balloons and 2 horses. You can tell he loves her very much. JMHO

Well Seeing her in the coffin enraged me even more.

I'm not enraged at the PR press as I understand the differences in culture.

I'm enraged that someone could do that to a child.

Translation: Condolences in Peñuelas for small Jorelys
Primera Hpra/ Puerto Rico newspaper article
WARNING: there is a photo of the open casket (which I personally find in bad taste)
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.primerahora.com%2Fcondolenciasenpenuelasporlapequenajorelys-591812.html
No little girl should be kidnapped, raped, beaten and thrown away. Children aren't suppose to meet with such evil 2 weeks before Christmas. (Not ever.)
My heart still breaks for Jorely and her family.

Anette,

Thank you for posting the translated article.

She didn't look good cat thief that is what bothered me most. I've seen quite a few "little angels" at rest, and she looks terrible. I'm just heart broken all over again.

I know here in the US, to show a photo of a deceased person in their casket would be in bad taste and disrespectful, but I have been doing some reading. I know very little about Puerto Rico and its customs. But in some of the reading I have been doing in order to try to better acquaint myself with the Latin culture I found the following.

One custom that does differ in the Latin American culture, as compared to other cultures, is the use of photography of the deceased during parts of the funeral rite. A family member explained that the pictures were used as a marker to preserve the death as an important historical event in the heritage of the family and also as an acknowledgment of the “Rite of Passage” for the deceased.

http://www.funeralwise.com/customs/cross-cultural-funerals

In the olden days photographing the dead, sometimes in odd, lifelike poses was not uncommon even here in the states.

I am chalking it up to cultural differences.

It was done very frequently, especially with children.

I hope that a mod doesn't come along and delete the post with the link. Because Jorelys was of PR heritage and it is not disrespectful to her or her family. In fact, that picture and video was probably requested by her family to be honest.

Just my thoughts.

Well Seeing her in the coffin enraged me even more.

I'm not enraged at the PR press as I understand the differences in culture.

I'm enraged that someone could do that to a child.

exactly!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/11/justice/georgia-slain-girl/index.html

A funeral for Jorelys Rivera will be held Monday in Penuelas, her father, Ricardo Galarza, said. The burial will take place Tuesday, he said.

Picture from link above:

ETA: Funerals and burial happen very quickly in PR. I'm surprised that the burial isn't on Monday but it probably is due to logistics. It is a custom that has to do with the climate of PR.

Attachments

• jorelys.jpg
    jorelys.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 36
I understand Annette, just differences in culture. That's one of the reasons I said we will probably get a lot more info from spanish news--if news is to be had---differences in cultures.

Hi Kat, I am Puerto Rican- and live in PR- and still I find it too hard to see this photo. It is true, it is mostly cultural, the local media does this often, putting up photos of crime victims lying in the street or on caskets, I guess they do it in order to sell more newspapers, feeding on people's curiosity and even worse, it creates a general feeling that this is "normal". It makes me angry because in a way it is disrespectful to the victim. But I guess the family is OK with it if they let reporters with cameras inside.

When my dad died from cancer, one of my aunts wanted to take a photo of him inside the casket and I didn't let her, I wouldn't want anyone remembering him dead in a casket, I want him to be remembered alive.

I will keep you posted on additional news.

Thanks Annette no offense intended. Our family has lots of pictures of deceased in their casket (my Husband's side of the family I'm not PR) so no offense my friend! I had to be desensitized to for sure. I was like oh em gee the first time I sat down to be shown family albums. Seriously.

ETA: that was the weekend that this ol' kentucky gal got treated to ensalada de pulpo, cuchifrito, morcilla, but I think they were just testing me to see if I'd stick around haha)

Thanks Annette no offense intended. Our family has lots of pictures of deceased in their casket (my Husband's side of the family I'm not PR) so no offense my friend! I had to be desensitized to for sure. I was like oh em gee the first time I sat down to be shown family albums. Seriously.

Kat- don't worry, no offense taken at all! :)

Chasity Sanford lives about a hundred feet from Brunn's mother's Sleepy Hollow Road home. She has two young daughters and wonders if their safety could have been at risk.

"I've got two little girls, so it's really scary living next to somebody that would do something like that," she said.

Neighbors describe Brunn as having a troubling past in which police were called to the family's home on several occasions.

"I've never really met him. We've called the cops on him several times," Sanford said.

In October, Sanford called police because she said Brunn was smoking marijuana in her backyard.

"I've really been keeping up with everything because I'm definitely moving if he comes back here," Sanford said.

gainesvilletimes.com

http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/section/6/article/60284/

Other neighbors said they have also notified police of incidents involving Brunn, including marijuana use and domestic violence.

"We have had several instances where some questionable things have happened," said Brittany Partin, who also lives next door. "There's just been several things where we were caught off guard but we didn't know what to do."

In one example, Partin said Brunn punched his family dog in the face.

Translation: Pain reigns at Jorelys' Wake
El Nuevo Día/ Puerto Rico newspaper article

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elnuevodia.com%2Fyonosequienessonperomeparteelalma-1141623.html

Where it says "I was lying" it shoud read "He was lying"- she is talking about Brunn. Also when it reads she is "against" the death penalty, what it means is that she is "for" the death penalty.

It is importante to note that in the video, the mother is asked by a reporter if it had happened before, that Jorelys had dissapeared before. And she answers: "No, it was the first time that it happened. No, never."

I hope that a mod doesn't come along and delete the post with the link. Because Jorelys was of PR heritage and it is not disrespectful to her or her family. In fact, that picture and video was probably requested by her family to be honest.

Just my thoughts.

Kat, the source is Puerto Rican MSM, and as long as the link is posted with a warning (Thank you, Annette!), I don't see a problem.

Actually there is a video of her laying in her coffin at the link above as well

Bless her heart.

Her father created a carriage to carry her on with balloons and 2 horses. You can tell he loves her very much. JMHO

I pray for this mother, I honestly don't know how one goes through losing a child, and then to have nightmares, not imagining, but knowing what she went through. Unspeakable anguish for this poor mother, I'm sure.

http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/section/6/article/60284/

Other neighbors said they have also notified police of incidents involving Brunn, including marijuana use and domestic violence.

"We have had several instances where some questionable things have happened," said Brittany Partin, who also lives next door. "There's just been several things where we were caught off guard but we didn't know what to do."

In one example, Partin said Brunn punched his family dog in the face.

Yep... and how many countless members on here mentioned, I bet we hear about some kind of torture of animals. That was a bingo...yay who wants to win that one, but seriously this alleged murderer & Somer Thompson's alleged murderer are very young given the magic # of around 27-32 yrs. old, that I remember as stats. These cases are rare, however as new cases come on & the time it takes to go to court, let alone if it is a capital offense...just wonder how often, the criteria etc. that the stats are updated.? But getting back to this case, 101...not only did he punch a dog it was HIS FAMILY DOG, certainly fits a profile IMO. I don't care what the brother say, the evidence will prove this case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tabitha Darden 3