GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This whole case saddens me so much. So senseless and yet it appears as though this was a chain of events that happened so long ago. It makes me wonder about a person's soul and how that soul must be nurtered in order to thrive. It makes me wonder what this young man's early childhood was like and how he grew to be so broken, so devoid of decency, compassion, and capable of doing such a ghastly and horrific thing to an innocent child. Did his parents ignore him? Did they beat him? Did they ever hold him? Did they molest him?

As the mother of 3 adopted children, I must say that these things have crossed by mind. My boys were newborns adopted at birth. But I certainly see traits in their DNA that I cannot deny. Nothing bad per se, just obviously not from my DNA. Things that are just hardwired in. I nurture them and love them and care for them and I know that our hearts are joined together and that they have beautiful souls. My daughter was almost 4 when we adopted her as a foster child. Her past was much different, of course. She was neglected. She craves attention and love, but also has a tremndous amount of compassion and a sweet little soul. I feel connected to her in the same way as my boys and am so grateful to God that she has come from her past a strong, confident young girl.

But then from my research and work in the system, I have seen much darker tales. Stores of abused, neglected children. Children from overseas left in an orphanage during their baby years, never being held or loved. These children often grow up to have disorders that simply cannot be fixed. Children who have been terribly abused or molested, beaten, raped-let down by the adults in their lives who were meant to nurture them. How can we expect these children to grown into adulthood and become normal members of society?

Sure, there are countless examples of people who have come from these backgrounds only to rise above it and become fine upstanding citizens-some even great leaders. But this is not the rule, but rather the exception. I have learned through my experience with adoption and foster care that we are failing our children. And when I say OUR children I mean it. When a child is a ward of the state, that means you and me, not the beaurocrats who run the state, but the citizens of that state. So those kids out there slipping through the cracks, being failed by the "system" are truly OUR kids, so it is us who are also failing them.

How can WE help to insure our children are safe? Certainly, not everyone can adopt or become a foster parent. But there are simple things that all can do;

1.) Volunteer to help children in your community who are at risk
2.) Familarize yourself with the signs of abuse and consider yourself a "Mandatory Reporter." It's not just teachers, doctors, and officers who should report suspected abuse-but ALL OF US!!!
3.) Familiarize yourself with local groups who provide foster care-Catholic Charities, DCFS, Lutheran Social Services, DCFS-they could all use donations of money, clothing, books, toys-call your local office and ask how you can help
4.) Don't blame the system-change the system-watch how your congressmen vote-write them, call them, e-mail them that YOUR children must NOT come last. In my state, they just cut funding for foster care-meaning less workers and bigger caseloads-meaning that more kids slip through the cracks. The next time you feel like blaming a caseworker for the child who was failed, think about how much these people are paid, what their work hours are and the kinds of things they see on a day to day basis. There is only so much they can do. (Trust me-they work LONG hours and get paid practically NOTHING!!!) Lawmakers don't pay a lot of attention to OUR children because neither they nor their parents vote.
5.) Give to the Dave Thomas Foundation-the very best organization for foster children in the country. If you don't want to give-purchase one of their "keychain Frosty's." It's a buck and you get a free mini Frosty each time you visit for a whole year. It's a great deal and goes to a great cause.
6.) Consider foster care-sure, it's a lot of work, a lot of risk and often times a lot of heartache, but it's worth it. I think about how many people work so hard to recycle their garbage-saving all of their plastic bottles, cans, newspapers-but find it difficult to imagine "recycling" a child-my "recycled" children have given me the greatest reward with their love-I cannot imagine loving a biological child any more than I love my amazing kids!

I don't want to blame Ryan's foster family. I do not know enough. I know there are troubles all over with foster families, but it's not always easy to raise a child who is broken. We can't all raise a broken child like this. I am not sure I would have it in me either. But it's sad to me that someone was able to harm Ryan as a child in some way to create this monster who ultimately took the life of another innocent child. And I know in my heart that SOMEONE knew SOMETHING. Too many people look the other way when a child is being abused. These people need to stop and ask themselves if they would like that abused child they have ignored to be living next door to them in 20 years.

Anyway, I don't mean to get on a soapbox and know I am already preaching to the choir here. All of you members have such loving and caring hearts and work so hard to protect our children. God Bless each and every one of you! And keep up all of your hard work, because together, we can help make a difference.

Ya know, this may be unpopular and considered harsh, but the two that committed suicide on DEATH ROW saved the taxpayers some money. Ryan would have probably still been sitting on death row when he was 40.

They should of committed suicide before he committed the crime.

Condemned Dahlonega man dies
"Sentenced to death for the 1992 rape and murder of a 10-year-old Dahlonega girl, Pruitt spent more than 13 years awaiting execution. On Nov. 19, Pruitt tried to hang himself with a bedsheet inside his cell at the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson.

Pruitt, 43, died Sunday from complications from the suicide attempt..."
<snip>
"A jury convicted Pruitt of raping, stabbing and slitting the throat of the girl, whose body was discovered by her mother.

Witnesses testified at Pruitt’s 1996 trial that DNA evidence, hairs and fibers at the murder scene were matched to Pruitt. Pruitt’s ex-wife lived next door to the trailer home that the girl shared with her mother. Late one night after a drunken quarrel with his ex-wife, Pruitt broke into Wendy Vincent’s trailer while the girl’s mother was away at work."

One of two death-row 'suicides' may not be a suicide, official says
"Georgia's top Department of Corrections official has now acknowledged that one of two recent reported suicides on Georgia's death row may not have been a suicide.
On Dec. 6, condemned killer Timothy Pruitt died at Augusta State Medical Prison after sustaining injuries on Nov. 19. On New Year's Day, guards found death-row inmate Leeland Mark Braley hanging in his cell. Both were housed on death row at the state Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson."
I find it very odd that the Corrections Commissioner would lie about the GBI's involvement in the investigation of Pruitt. I'm having a really hard time believing Brunn killed himself. But who cares, right? Anyone familiar with the case knows his family didn't bother to come to the sentencing - heck, I can't find anything at all about his family online. Clearly no one cares that this happened to him - like when a serial killer picks prostitutes, no one is going to make a fuss. I just don't buy that Brunn killed himself. This entire case has been too clean and easy where justice is concerned. Wrapped up all nice and tidy like we'd love to see all of these cases.

All IMO

He is on death row for 13 years and decides to hang himself. What a coward. Why did he wait for 13 years? :crazy:

Jorelys Rivera: How Ryan Brunn became a murder suspect

ryan brunn--interview with the GBI december 6/2011.

brunngbiinterviewdec6.jpg

During interviews with police, Brunn denied he'd ever been accused of a crime against children. But at the conclusion of this interview, police remind him of a molestation allegation years earlier in Virginia.

"What if they have found a record of it?" the agent asks Brunn. "They don't" have a record, Brunn answers.

"Yes," the agent responds.
"Of what?" Brunn asks.

"You know what I'm talking about," the agent answers.
"No, I don't," answers Brunn.

"In Virginia." The agent reminds Brunn of an allegation made against him when he lived in Virginia years earlier. Brunn relents.

"Why did you lie about that?" the agent asks.
"I really didn't think it was on my record," Brunn answers.

http://www.ledgernews.com/component/con ... ticle/4485

Former Canton police chief speaks out
Published: 24 January 2012

--snipped--

Canton’s former police chief says his resignation was “somewhat forced,” despite the city manager’s characterization of it being mutual, after a scathing third-party review that was released last week.

Lance, speaking in an exclusive interview with the Ledger-News, said he was told the City Council asked that he resign.

“I felt like he (Wood) had the backing of the city council to ask for my resignation,” Lance said, adding he took it to heart because the mayor was sitting in the same room.

Lance, 45, said he told city leaders he had “a problem with resigning. You need to give me some time, and they said they needed something by tomorrow” and that they thought the city needed new leadership in its police department.

http://www.cherokeetribune.com/view...gnation-revealed?instance=home_news_1st_right

Details in Canton chief’s resignation revealed

New details have emerged in Canton Police Chief Jeff Lance’s resignation last week amid a scathing report regarding how his department handled the Jorelys Rivera abduction and murder investigation.

Lance received six weeks of severance pay, amounting to $9,230, City Manager Scott Wood said.

Though he did not ask Lance to resign, Councilman John Beresford said Lance’s choice was the right thing to do.

Beresford said the mistakes documented in the report were “enough to put us in a position where we had to do something about it, either correcting, changing or having (Lance) resign.

“The council did not meet as a body, but my opinion would be that we would have given him an opportunity to resign,” he said, adding that would be much better on anyone’s resume, compared to being terminated from a position.

He is on death row for 13 years and decides to hang himself. What a coward. Why did he wait for 13 years? :crazy:

My friend and I were speculating that maybe someone new came into the prison system...an employee or inmate...with a vigilante attitude.

BUSTED! :floorlaugh:

I hate that picture...I won't even show him to my kids...they keep asking what he looked like...I say "the devil". I put my hand over the screen if an article has his picture on it...I refuse to give him the courtesy of my eyes. :furious:

p.s. I just love these smilies...I could use them after every sentence...

I hate that picture...I won't even show him to my kids...they keep asking what he looked like...I say "the devil". I put my hand over the screen if an article has his picture on it...I refuse to give him the courtesy of my eyes. :furious:

I have shown my kids..well not SHOWN them, more like let them keep watching when his pic comes on the news, I think it helps drive home the message that the "monster" can look like the kid next door, its not an old, bearded guy in a trenchcoat..

But he doesn't look like the devil. He looks like any other guy his age who wears Hollister hoodies etc. No reason to even turn and look at him if he passed you on the street. For me, that is the devil.

So, GBI knew of the Virginia allegation on Dec. 6th. The article states "years ago." Does that mean 2, 3, 4, 5, etc years ago?

If Brunn had been a juvenile at that time, would the record be on file? What age does Virginia consider an adult?

I think I read RB lived with his father in Virginia while getting a GED or attending high school. Did I dream that?

If so, I am guessing he was maybe 17 yrs old and would have been considered an adult.

Does Virginia have Open Records Request and why hasn't the media publihed that info?

The GBI knew NOTHING of anything that happened in VA. They pulled at straws and won, if you believe everything that you read and hear. They ARE legally allowed to lie when questioning someone.

The GBI knew NOTHING of anything that happened in VA. They pulled at straws and won, if you believe everything that you read and hear. They ARE legally allowed to lie when questioning someone.

You really think so? I mean, supposedly they had NO idea who this kid was...how would they have known to pull *that* out of their arse? Either Vernon Keenan is a FRICKING GENIUS (and I give him props if he is!), or GBI had some way to get through the barrier of an expunged record.

Something else I want to know...what has FBI done to the people who own the kiddie *advertiser censored* websites that RB was vewing? I wish media would tell us that answer.

Also, did RB mimic something (sexual acts including bondage) he had viewed online?

I think by all means they had Virginia info on RB when they gave him the polygraph. I am perfectly aware LE is allowed to lie, but I don't think you know the professionlism of the GBI that well...IMO they were NOT pulling at straws.

I think by all means they had Virginia info on RB when they gave him the polygraph. I am perfectly aware LE is allowed to lie, but I don't think you know the professionlism of the GBI that well...IMO they were NOT pulling at straws.

agreed. Had they just hinted at "past accusations of touching children", maybe straws. To specify Virginia, they knew. My best guess is once the crime scene was identified as a vacant, all maintenance staff was checked and any accusations or charges of crimes against children were highlighted and mentioned in questioning.

http://www.ajc.com/news/jorelys-riveras ... 18998.html
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Atlanta, GA 1-26-12

Jorelys Rivera's killer speaks: GBI releases polygraph video

Brunn_polygraph_1269907c.jpg

The GBI agent asks Brunn if he had been ever been accused of “doing something like this” before? Brunn says no, he never had.

“Have there ever been any allegations of molesting, fondling, anything?” asks Sitton.
“No,” says Brunn.

Sitton then hooks Brunn to the polygraph monitor, and asks him the same nine questions three times, taking a break between sessions.
He asks him several direct questions about Jorelys.

“Did you participate in any way in the death of that girl?”
“No.”

“Did you cause the death of that girl?”
“No.”

“Did you participate in any way with disposing of that girl?”
“No.”

“Do you know for sure who caused the death of that girl?”
“No.”

The next day, Brunn was arrested and charged with the sexual molestation and murder of Jorelys Rivera.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back