GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did KJ have a routine with Bowie? Did he have his favourite spots to smell and snuffle and pee? Is it possible the killer was hiding up the tree where the branch was removed by LE? Male dogs like to pee against things so a tree would be the perfect place for Bowie to relieve himself. The killer could wait up there for his ideal victim, perhaps any female or specifically KJ.

I don't think KJ knew her killer, at least not enough to know by name but perhaps to exchange pleasantries in a store or studio or gym. IMO

What could the circumstances be where a relative stranger could be aware of the tattoo? Tattoo parlour? Gym? Yoga studio? Doctor's office? Gay pride parade? Sunbathing? Somewhere a lower back tattoo would be visible during a specific event. KJ didn't strike me as a person to wear revealing clothing to expose the tattoo every day. I remember reading the novel The Red Dragon where the killer had personal information regarding the interior of his victim's homes (he wiped out whole families). Great book, it's a spoiler to reveal.
I also wondered about the killer hiding up in a tree for a victim. I still speculate the killer got Bowie away from her & lured her further into the park & tied Bowie's leash to the tree branch. While KJ untied the leash, the killer attacked from behind. EC stated in her interview w/MSM that KJ did not have a routine walk. She also indicated that KJ normally wouldn't venture that far into the park that late, that she knew of, but due to working schedule, it was normal to take late nite walks & KJ felt safe in the area & knew the area very well. Also this was an unusual Tues. nite in the fact that EC was normally off from work & EC had to work late that particular nite.

Was there any light at all in that area? I wonder if Bowie maybe went to the bathroom near or under that tree, and Katie bent over to pick up the poop exposing her tattoo? Only if there was enough light that he could have seen it, of course. Maybe if a mentally unbalanced person was in or behind the tree the poop or tattoo set off a rage response for some reason. All pure speculation . . .

Was there any light at all in that area? I wonder if Bowie maybe went to the bathroom near or under that tree, and Katie bent over to pick up the poop exposing her tattoo? Only if there was enough light that he could have seen it, of course. Maybe if a mentally unbalanced person was in or behind the tree the poop or tattoo set off a rage response for some reason. All pure speculation . . .
Good points. Something about KJ definitely set off a rage, unfortunately. The T-shirt shown in the last known picture of her & Bowie looks pretty long in the sleeves & torso. There are street lamps spread out in the area where she was found but quite a few trees with alot of leaves & limbs that are pretty low down on the trunks. IIRC, the area about 20ft into the entrance from 10th & CA is pretty bright w/street lights & traffic lights. Then, the street lamps along the walking paths & roadway are probably about 20-30 ft apart, so getting off those paved areas would be dim & under the low-hanging limbs of the trees would be dark, almost like only being able to see silhouettes of people or objects from certain angles. There is a vending machine on the north side of the public rr that puts out some light toward the area where Bowie was found as well. IMO, being under those trees where she was found, you would probably be able to see things, & make out what they were from about 2-3ft away.

Moo ..maybe they were both on ground and she was trying to crawl away and stabber just stabbed at lower back cause he/she was trying to hold onto her legs and that is just what was within reach to stab at that moment? Moo

Moo ..maybe they were both on ground and she was trying to crawl away and stabber just stabbed at lower back cause he/she was trying to hold onto her legs and that is just what was within reach to stab at that moment? Moo
According to the autopsy report, the major injury to that area was non-hemorrhagic...is that post-mortem? There were 10 wounds to the upper & middle part of the back & 14 wounds to the lower back around a multi-colored tattoo. There were also several contusions & abrasions to the lower back.

I’ll be honest, the seriousness in which Holes spoke about the autopsy findings kinda scares me a bit. Because you can really tell he’s concerned about this case. You can just hear it in his voice.

I listened to it today, and I agree. This is a smart, savvy, very experienced LEO saying that this is a dangerous person, and it seems that Atlanta PD isn't warning the public about this appropriately -- unless they somehow know this person has already moved on to other hunting grounds.

Iirc (and I might be mixing this up with another case), weren't there cuts in her shirt that correlated with the stab wounds, which indicates that at least some of the injuries were inflicted while her shirt was in place?

In any case, I've always been bothered by the darkness in the spot this seems to have occurred in. But if the killer could see enough to notice the tattoo, it could have been the killer focused there simply as another means of destroying her identity, like her face, etc. I'm not sure it means the killer had to know it was there beforehand necessarily.
Very good point. Could the killer have been wearing night vision goggles?

Very good point. Could the killer have been wearing night vision goggles?

I've seen a couple of people post that it wasn't necessarily that dark where she was, although it's hard to say since I don't think anyone here knows exactly where the attack took place. Remember, it was light enough for Emma to see and recognize both Bowie and Katie from a distance.

I so appreciate his time but wish you had used this opportunity better suited to discuss Katie Janness and picked his brain. Not a great interview. Sorry -disappointed

I came in mid-way and my brain went blank... I couldn't think of questions I'd wanted to ask (typical of my brain :oops:). I'm sure Tricia will have him on again and maybe next time we will have all our questions ready :) I'm appreciative of any coverage on this case and this was no exception.

The best scenario would be JSM and Paul Holes together!

jmo

I've seen a couple of people post that it wasn't necessarily that dark where she was, although it's hard to say since I don't think anyone here knows exactly where the attack took place. Remember, it was light enough for Emma to see and recognize both Bowie and Katie from a distance.
On July 28, the moon was in 78% waning gibbous phase. That was only 4 days after a full moon. So that was a pretty bright moon. But I don't know if there was cloud cover that night. Even if somewhat under the trees, there should have been enough moon light and light from the street lights for the killer to see well enough I think. Even if there was cloud cover, ambient city light reflecting off the clouds would have provided ample light.

I came in mid-way and my brain went blank... I couldn't think of questions I'd wanted to ask (typical of my brain :oops:). I'm sure Tricia will have him on again and maybe next time we will have all our questions ready :) I'm appreciative of any coverage on this case and this was no exception.

The best scenario would be JSM and Paul Holes together!

jmo
I was still able to pull some things from this interview- and it was great to get an unbiased and very experienced-educated opinion!

On July 28, the moon was in 78% waning gibbous phase. That was only 4 days after a full moon. So that was a pretty bright moon. But I don't know if there was cloud cover that night. Even if somewhat under the trees, there should have been enough moon light and light from the street lights for the killer to see well enough I think. Even if there was cloud cover, ambient city light reflecting off the clouds would have provided ample light.
It was very humid that night. Temp around 84°F & muggy, almost foggy. I believe there was a quick shower earlier that could account for KJ out later, perhaps.
I remember seeing wet pavement in one of the early videos on 10th St. Trying to find & post.
JMOO.

3 things I got from the JSM interview w/Tricia,
He stated that of all cases, of this type, that he had seen, this was the worst.
When talking about how he must be careful when it comes to releasing details of a murder, he said one reason is you don't want to have the perpetrator hear anything that might make them leave the county...I wondered why he chose to say that rather than city, area or state. And finally, he did not mention any of the injuries to KJ's back.
It was a good interview to me, very informative.

It was very humid that night. Temp around 84°F & muggy, almost foggy. I believe there was a quick shower earlier that could account for KJ out later, perhaps.
I remember seeing wet pavement in one of the early videos on 10th St. Trying to find & post.
JMOO.
Here's a pic taken around 5am 07/28/21 by 11alivenews. IMO the street, curb, sidewalk & pole look damp & the sky looks hazy.
10th.St.east.of.CA.png

Speculation, imo.
Did i understand correctly that the cuts to the eyes and face were vertical?
If so, a cat comes to mind, as in a cray cray killer who identifies with a film such as "Cat People".
A woman is stalked by a jealous (Cat) woman as she leaves a restaurant and walks by a park on her way home. Other scenes where the human/cats attack are brutal.
11 Hair-Raising Facts About <em>Cat People</em>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member