GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like this has to be said. Just because autopsy shows she was alive during injuries does not mean she was conscious. It makes it fearful and even more horrendous and probably good for ratings @ jenson&holes.. Her heart was beating.
Theatrics are not helpful for anyone in this situation and is disrespectful to victim. The crime was bad enough don't make it worse by leading people to believe she was aware of every detail during this attack. IMO she was unconcious and dying during the carving and cutting portion

Welcome to Ws ELepo, thank you for the interesting link!
This also caught my attention, fwiw..
Female Lust Killers
January 9, 2019
Katherine Ramsland Ph.D.
''Most data about violent crime and criminal types have centered on males, because males have always been more aggressive, violent, and criminally versatile than females. They dominate the area of sexual crimes and thrill-killing. Collectively, criminologists agree that females rarely kill for erotic pleasure, and some experts have even claimed that there has never been a female lust murderer. However, such women do exist. Some were part of a team, like Karla Homolka, Catherine Birnie and Rosemary West (they were not “compliant accomplices”), and some have acted alone.''
I'm curious about LGBTQ killers and if a gay woman would still be identified as a female lust killer. I am not being disrespectful I am genuinely curious how a gay female might differ in regards murder and violent tendencies. If some gay men are more feminine could gay women be more masculine in this situation? JMO

Last edited:
Welcome to Ws ELepo, thank you for the interesting link!
This also caught my attention, fwiw..
Female Lust Killers
January 9, 2019
Katherine Ramsland Ph.D.
''Most data about violent crime and criminal types have centered on males, because males have always been more aggressive, violent, and criminally versatile than females. They dominate the area of sexual crimes and thrill-killing. Collectively, criminologists agree that females rarely kill for erotic pleasure, and some experts have even claimed that there has never been a female lust murderer. However, such women do exist. Some were part of a team, like Karla Homolka, Catherine Birnie and Rosemary West (they were not “compliant accomplices”), and some have acted alone.''
I'm curious about LGBTQ killers and if a gay woman would still be identified as a female lust killer. I am not being disrespectful I am genuinely curious how a gay female might differ in regards murder and violent tendencies. If some gay men are more feminine could gay women be more masculine in regards to this situation? JMO

Many of the injuries (face, breast, reproductive area/abdomen) possibly seem to defeminize the victim but there were no direct injuries to vaginal area and no direct SA. Does this tell us anything about the killer?

Many of the injuries (face, breast, reproductive area/abdomen) possibly seem to defeminize the victim but there were no direct injuries to vaginal area and no direct SA. Does this tell us anything about the killer?
I hadnt thought of the abdomen as a reproductive area to be decimated. Good point!

I wish @Tricia would have Joseph Scott Morgan on Websleuths YT to further discuss this case. (Yes, I'm dropping a big fat hint!)
Rbbm.
Murder in Piedmont Park
''November 18, 2021 • 44 min

Katherine “Katie” Janness takes her dog, Bowie, for a late-night walk in the Midtown area of Atlanta. Janness stops at a local bar to say hello to her girlfriend, who's working. When Janness' girlfriend gets off work, no one is home, but should have been. After unanswered phone calls and texts, Emma Clark uses the 'find my phone' app, which leads her to a horrifying discovery. Just inside Atlanta's popular Piedmont Park, 40-year-old Katherine Janness has been brutally attacked, stabbed more than 50 times, and her body horrifically mutilated. ''
Discretion advised: Details in this report may be disturbing.
Murder in Piedmont Park - Body Bags with Joseph Scott Morgan | iHeart

Rbbm.
Murder in Piedmont Park
''November 18, 2021 • 44 min

Katherine “Katie” Janness takes her dog, Bowie, for a late-night walk in the Midtown area of Atlanta. Janness stops at a local bar to say hello to her girlfriend, who's working. When Janness' girlfriend gets off work, no one is home, but should have been. After unanswered phone calls and texts, Emma Clark uses the 'find my phone' app, which leads her to a horrifying discovery. Just inside Atlanta's popular Piedmont Park, 40-year-old Katherine Janness has been brutally attacked, stabbed more than 50 times, and her body horrifically mutilated. ''
Discretion advised: Details in this report may be disturbing.
Murder in Piedmont Park - Body Bags with Joseph Scott Morgan | iHeart

Thanks! Oh wait... This one I've heard. I'm just wanting to hear more from him.

I feel like this has to be said. Just because autopsy shows she was alive during injuries does not mean she was conscious. It makes it fearful and even more horrendous and probably good for ratings @ jenson&holes.. Her heart was beating.
Theatrics are not helpful for anyone in this situation and is disrespectful to victim. The crime was bad enough don't make it worse by leading people to believe she was aware of every detail during this attack. IMO she was unconcious and dying during the carving and cutting portion

Those analyzing the autopsy were commenting as a matter of fact in response to the official findings in a medical/legal document (the autopsy report). I don't see theatrics or disrespect of the victim in this thread.

Theatrics are not helpful for anyone in this situation and is disrespectful to victim. The crime was bad enough don't make it worse by leading people to believe she was aware of every detail during this attack. IMO she was unconscious and dying during the carving and cutting portion

The information is factual. I don't see any disrespect cataloguing the series of injuries and whether the injuries were delivered post mortem or peri mortem. By itemizing the injuries and the time period during the assault provides LE with a profile of an individual who needs to be taken into custody before he strikes again. Information is power.

JMO. The only description we know of the tattoo (other than rough location) is that it's "colorful", or "multi-colored", I forget which word specifically TBH. From the getgo, my mind has always immediately gone to a rainbow (Pride) image of some kind, a flag or otherwise. Has anyone else considered this? MOO

JMO. The only description we know of the tattoo (other than rough location) is that it's "colorful", or "multi-colored", I forget which word specifically TBH. From the getgo, my mind has always immediately gone to a rainbow (Pride) image of some kind, a flag or otherwise. Has anyone else considered this? MOO

Thank you for bringing this up, I've been wondering about that ever since the information came out that she was stabbed multiple times there. I also imagine some sort of rainbow and thought about that as well. I don't think we know though.

Also I was in Atlanta last week, and really hoped to make it over to Piedmont Park to see the scene for myself, but most importantly to leave some flowers or a little tribute for Katie. It's just so heartbreaking that this case still hasn't been solved.

I'm also firmly in the camp that this was not somebody that knew Katie. I know overkill can be a sign of that, but there's overkill, and then there's… This. This goes way beyond a rage killing of a spurned lover, this is some serious psychotic and sadistic stuff.

I'm probably the last one to see this old July 2001 Detroit music review (and it has NO relevance to the murder) but the tragically sad irony of the last lyric made me want to share...

Lyrically, Janness speaks of emotional sincerity distorted by detachment and cynicism, anguished by jaded lethargy, the hallucination that ensues and then finally, the simple but profound realizations concluded. “I ran away without moving an inch/and I heard screaming that night as I fell through glass that wasn’t there/and realized it was my voice screaming/but you didn’t hear.”

Heart smart

Thanks! Oh wait... This one I've heard. I'm just wanting to hear more from him.

WOW I've never heard of this podcast but was fantastic. Thanks for the link.
I was struck by how much Joseph Scott Morgan emphasized that the murder weapon was a sturdy knife. He said look at a steak knife in your kitchen. It's not sturdy but then look at a butcher knife in your kitchen. That's a sturdy weapon. He must have said sturdy 5 times. I believe he was giving us a clue that the knife belongs to someone skilled with a sturdy butcher knife.

Someone hated Ms. Janness. Even if they didn't personally know her they hated what she stood for (the tattoo slashing). How likely is it that the murderer is a female? I would say not very likely. Possible but not likely. 50 plus deep slashes takes a lot of strength. I suppose the killer could be a female on steroids?

(I apologize if this has been covered in the previous pages. I'm unable to read back that far tonight due to a minor medical problem I'm having).

Last edited:
He specifically attacked the tattoo because he didn’t want to look at it, IMO. If the killer chose Katie because she reminded him of someone from his past, her tattoo would be an obvious deviation from the body he remembers. In essence, he mutilated the tattoo because it interfered with the picture he had envisioned in his sick and twisted fantasies. I think the same can be said for the depersonalization of her face. That’s my leading theory, anyway.

Iirc (and I might be mixing this up with another case), weren't there cuts in her shirt that correlated with the stab wounds, which indicates that at least some of the injuries were inflicted while her shirt was in place?

In any case, I've always been bothered by the darkness in the spot this seems to have occurred in. But if the killer could see enough to notice the tattoo, it could have been the killer focused there simply as another means of destroying her identity, like her face, etc. I'm not sure it means the killer had to know it was there beforehand necessarily.

Did KJ have a routine with Bowie? Did he have his favourite spots to smell and snuffle and pee? Is it possible the killer was hiding up the tree where the branch was removed by LE? Male dogs like to pee against things so a tree would be the perfect place for Bowie to relieve himself. The killer could wait up there for his ideal victim, perhaps any female or specifically KJ.

I don't think KJ knew her killer, at least not enough to know by name but perhaps to exchange pleasantries in a store or studio or gym. IMO

What could the circumstances be where a relative stranger could be aware of the tattoo? Tattoo parlour? Gym? Yoga studio? Doctor's office? Gay pride parade? Sunbathing? Somewhere a lower back tattoo would be visible during a specific event. KJ didn't strike me as a person to wear revealing clothing to expose the tattoo every day. I remember reading the novel The Red Dragon where the killer had personal information regarding the interior of his victim's homes (he wiped out whole families). Great book, it's a spoiler to reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
safetycircle